Will TT Engine be capable to render photorealistic graphic?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Dr. Nucleus's assitent: Finally, we've succeeded and as expected we can confirm that also adventure gamers can be turned into visual dependants!

Don't give me that crap, I just played a regular old gameboy game an hour ago for craps sake.
    I just want the game to be as good as it can be.
    And as I've said I think these new properties lend themselves to a realistic art style. If you want a crappy looking game then by all means wish for that.
  • edited June 2010
    Santar wrote: »
    I think Jurassic Park deserves something more than the dated graphics of the CSI games.
    Maybe there indeed exist people who think it's reasonable beeing kind of afraid of that an upcoming game will have the same gfx like a more than 2 years old product.

Maybe, these people look like, this:

SS03.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    PariahKing wrote: »
    You're kidding yourself if you expect to compare anything Telltale produces to Crysis.

That's not what Telltale is about.

I never said that. I was just stating a possibility. I fully expect them to catch up to at least 2006-2007 graphics sometime soon with these games....or at least it's certainly possible for them to attain that level of detail. There's nothing to prevent it.
  • edited June 2010
    I somehow doubt the engine is the problem, its rather their target audience, if you look with past release, They target people with mid / low end pc.

I mean afterall if we want photorealistic, i mean Telltale can properly borrow Crysis engine. :) But i think that will someone narrow their target audiences quite a bit xD
  • edited June 2010
    If the episodes are downloadable, which seem almost certain, there are considerations with model polygons and texture compression to keep the file size down.
  • edited June 2010
    Also depends, as a) an engine's capabilities don't add much to the filesize and b) generative algorithms for the rescue in terms of tiny media sizes like for instance textures and music. Remembering the meanwhile over six year old .kkrieger?

Reminds me, that i'm still addicted to the .detuned song. :O)
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think file size is that big of an issue anymore. Steam games can come to 9GB+ to download them completely. But of course, there's that targeted audience problem. Some of these guys still run on dial-ups, for crying out loud.
  • edited June 2010
    I would less count on Steam but all the movie sites. Those Blu-Ray rips in MKV containers aren't this small as well. Anyway with the proper technology it is possible to deliver large content also with a reasonable filesize.
  • edited June 2010
    Hopefully they will do Maniac mansion someday if its possible to get a hold of the licens well or make a deal with Lucas Arts over whoever holds it.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, I kind of think it'd be more fitting for LucasArts to make a new Maniac Mansion game themselves. As a way to reintroduce the genre to fans (and reintroduce themselves as well), seeing as Maniac Mansion was LucasArts' first adventure hit. This would also work out with my theory more that it would be better to have a Maniac Mansion 3 than a Day of the Tentacle 2.
  • edited June 2010
    Marketing a title called "Day of the Tentacle 2" would be a whole lot easier / more effective than with "Maniac Mansion 3".
  • edited June 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Marketing a title called "Day of the Tentacle 2" would be a whole lot easier / more effective than with "Maniac Mansion 3".

Oh, numbers in the title are bad. People don't like sequels. I'd say keep the brand name "Maniac Mansion", but add another title for each game: "Day of the Tentacle", etc. Sort of what they did with "Star Wars". But I don't want them to make a new game before they make special editons of the first two and introduce them to the younger audience.
  • edited June 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    Oh, numbers in the title are bad. People don't like sequels.

Hollywood would tend to disagree. And the gaming community for that matter.

Though I see your point with this many years between DOTT and a potential new game. Still, if there was a DOTT Special Edition first, that would work in the favour of a new game in that franchise.
  • TorTor
    edited June 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    Oh, numbers in the title are bad.
    That's what Hollywood seems to think... I prefer numbers in the title to the alternatives however. Consider:
    • Rambo (the fourth Rambo film)
    • Rocky Balboa (the sixth Rocky film)
    • Fast & Furious (a sequel to The Fast and the Furious)
    • The Final Destination (a sequel to Final Destination)
    • Life Free or Die Hard (fourth Die Hard movie)
    • Alien/Aliens and Predator/Predators
    That shit gets confusing! Bring back the numbers I say.
  • edited June 2010
    I still think "Live Free or Die Hard" is a hilarious title, especially since the movie had nothing to do with New Hampshire. (New Hampshire's state motto is "Live Free or Die" for the six billion of you who had no idea that each state in the US has its own motto.)
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I still think "Live Free or Die Hard" is a hilarious title, especially since the movie had nothing to do with New Hampshire. (New Hampshire's state motto is "Live Free or Die" for the six billion of you who had no idea that each state in the US has its own motto.)

Yep, Illinois is Grow corn, and commit crime.
  • edited June 2010
    Err....there was never a Predators plural movie title. Ever.
  • TorTor
    edited June 2010
    Err....there was never a Predators plural movie title. Ever.
    Not yet, but there will be.
  • edited June 2010

*facepalm*

EDIT: Laurence Fishburne is involved in this???
  • edited June 2010
    i hope the visuals are Jurassic Park qualified and Jurassic Park deserves Halo reach graphics x100
  • edited June 2010
    Did you know that Riven: The Sequel to Myst was actually rendered on the computers used for Jurassic Park?

To be honest I don't know if it just means they were the same kind of computers, but I like to assume that they actually bought those very computers (I mean really, how many computers like that were around in the 1990s?). Either way it was definitely the same software.
  • edited June 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    To be honest I don't know if it just means they were the same kind of computers, but I like to assume that they actually bought those very computers (I mean really, how many computers like that were around in the 1990s?). Either way it was definitely the same software.
    SGI Indigo workstations debuted in 1991 at only $8,000 each. I'm pretty sure Cyan bought their own. :D
  • edited June 2010
    I hope they at least match the beautifully rendered jungles found in that other Crichton spin off Congo: Descent into Zinj.

Personally I've always wanted to play a Jurassic Park game with these sorts of graphics, with gameplay similar to that of the Sega/Mega CD JP adventure game as these are two of the very few games based on movies I can think of that feel as though they share the same locations as that of the movies. Playing both these titles felt like being on the same set/location that the films did in a way that so few others have, before or since.

I think there is interesting things to look at from the past games even though some/all of them are questionable in quality.

For instance with what has been said by Telltale about the time-based puzzles I could imagine something in a shell similar to that of the 3DO version, but rather than the stupid/random mini-games, if you had tasks perhaps something akin to Trauma Centre and Pokemon Snap as such tasks could link into both the novels and the movies.
  • edited July 2010
    I realize it means extra work, but seriously. The majority of the game developers out there work with the latest rendering technologies*, and gamers expect it.

That`s, in my opinion, the problem with games today, graphic whores and whatnot... That`s why it`s more often called an industry than art or entertainment

It`s an incredibly shallow portrayal of videogames that originates opinions(reviews) based solely on technical aspects, spawns endless crysis and gears of war lookalikes and because of that, suggests videogames are just gadgets or toys.

Telltale brings the story before the graphics and that`s the important part.
    You're kidding yourself if you expect to compare anything Telltale produces to Crysis.

That's not what Telltale is about.

^^

As long as the dinosaurs have good animations, I don`t care about realistic foliage in trees, I just want a good story, and that`s what TellTale is about.

Telltale said it was going to make something different from their past efforts but if someone`s especting Crysis, you`re missing the point.

I think it`ll be realistic but not really graphically demanding like most games.

(Man, I sound like a smart-ass)

Anyway, peace
  • edited July 2010
    Are people forgetting that TellTale is always improving their tool with each new game they develop? So they'll develop any capabilities they'll need for the next version. This kind of thing is also explained during the Tales of Monkey Island commentary, where they praise, for example, the new lighting system that illuminates stuff.

It's kind of like Blender - improving the engine with each major movie/game project.
  • edited July 2010
    keeperxiii wrote: »
    That`s, in my opinion, the problem with games today, graphic whores and whatnot... That`s why it`s more often called an industry than art or entertainment

Oh, and sorry MusicallyInspired, I didn`t really meant to call you a graphicwhore :p, I just think Telltale will have a engine that`s more than adequate for the new game but not really Crysis.
  • edited July 2010
    I believe most of Telltale's "regulars" aren't graphic whores. If photorealistic scenes amused me at all by just being photorealistic scenes I'd just spend my days looking at stuff.
  • edited July 2010
    PainDealer wrote: »
    I believe most of Telltale's "regulars" aren't graphic whores.

I was speaking in a general sense about most gamers today and I apologized because it seemed like I was saying that you guys are graphic whores :o but I was really just speaking in a general sense, no worries.

Anyway, I`m just curious to see how the dinos act in the engine.
    If photorealistic scenes amused me at all by just being photorealistic scenes I'd just spend my days looking at stuff.

Makes sense I guess XD
  • edited July 2010
    Will be very interesting to see, I've always had an interest in Jurassic Park stuff ever since I saw the first movie as a kid... was amazing :D

The last JP game I finished was this -

jp1.jpg

jp20.jpg

In any case, I hope the graphics are at least decent - normally I don't care very much about graphics in Telltale games as games based on humor doesn't need the same level of atmosphere as something that is meant to be tense. And part of the point in the Jurassic Park license is to see awesome looking dinosaurs and all that :p
  • edited July 2010
    That's the ONLY Jurassic Park game I've ever played. I didn't liked it at all. Anithing Telltale could do will be better than this.
  • edited July 2010
    That looks like "Alan Grant and his Desktop Adventures" :D
  • edited July 2010
    That looks like "Alan Grant and his Desktop Adventures" :D

it was from the commadore 64
  • edited July 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    it was from the commadore 64
    That would make it the best looking C64 game in existence :D
    But it's really for the PC and Amiga computers. I played the Amiga version.
    That's the ONLY Jurassic Park game I've ever played. I didn't liked it at all. Anithing Telltale could do will be better than this.
    I actually think it was quite decent, I enjoyed it. But I think the SNES version might be slightly better as it presents a higher challenge and the environments aren't as sparsely populated.

Anyway, I'm really curious as to how this one will turn out - I really hope they will manage to make it atmospheric. I disagree with the people saying story is the absolutely most important aspect in this game (I would agree in many cases but not with this game)... in a Jurassic Park game, I think the atmosphere is just as important.
  • edited July 2010
    Off course they can pull of realistic graphics...they just don't have the time or the budget to do so...
  • edited July 2010
    i remember thinking a jp game on the first playstation had amazing graphics.
  • edited July 2010
    Graphics be damned! I need gameplay!
  • edited July 2010
    They can do it. Have you seen Max at the end of season 3, episode 4?!
  • edited July 2010
    DaVince wrote: »
    They can do it. Have you seen Max at the end of season 3, episode 4?!

I've only played the demo so far (which gives you the opening part of the game), and I kept thinking to myself "Man, this would be so awesome in the JP game!". Just imagine... The Raptors trying to enter a place where you are locked in, and the time is running out. It would be so perfect.
  • edited July 2010
    True! But I would like a bit better sound directing if they do that, the gunshots at the start of episode 4 were simply dull/unhearable. It's weird to see someone shoot and not actually hear a blam.

But, er, this is a comment about Sam and Max. I guess it was me who laid the comparison in the first place. :P
  • edited July 2010
    @Armakuni
    Wow, i've never seen this Amiga game before, at least i can't remember it, which somehow is the same, at least for me. These rectangle placed rock platforms kind of remind me of The Chaos Engine.

I almost forgot about the dino in it...

chaos_engine_0.gif
Sign in to comment in this discussion.