The "I Find Noir Sam Sexy" Support Group

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Now, back to more important and disturbing things ... isn't it funny that (mostly) female fans are falling over Angry Sam while (mostly) male fans think Flint is awesome? He's also angry and sleeveless, why aren't we attracted to him?
    Flint is known to, hmmm, get around with dames. Sam stays faithful to Max -- and fidelity is one big turn-on.
  • edited June 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    Flint is known to, hmmm, get around with dames. Sam stays faithful to Max -- and fidelity is one big turn-on.

I've always wondered about that. Is there ANYTHING in ANY of the Sam and Max merchandise about Sam having a girlfriend...or even a relationship? Maybe Justice is his one true love. She does have a great figure and a snappy fashion sense. And a great personality.

JMR-Memphis1.jpg
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Maybe Justice is his one true love.

That. And making a lot of racket while on duty, probably.
  • edited June 2010
    Also think it's that whole "He's in pain, but I can help him" sort of mind set when it comes to why people are attracted to him. You know Sam is hurting inside cause his best friends head has been severed which makes him this angry and missunderstood creature. Erg... I feel weird, maybe I need to draw something.
  • edited June 2010
    That 'Will Sam ever find true love?' comment in the ending of the first episode has me convinced we'll see SOME sort of love interest for Sam. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my romantic part.
  • edited June 2010

Oh yeah. And that's why he lets Max having Leonard in the closet for about two Seasons: Because is the right punishment for stole a sandwich.

Anyway, the only pattern I found about my recent Platonic Crushes is basically they are always so excentric that in real life will never work. Ah, well...
  • edited June 2010

This (seconded). I can see him showing fleeting interest in a woman here or there, but otherwise it would never work out. Minus something terrible happening to Max, Sam seems perfectly content with the way things are: pummeling perps from here to Pensacola, doling out justice and mayhem with his very best friend at his side.
    SillyStell wrote: »
    Also think it's that whole "He's in pain, but I can help him" sort of mind set when it comes to why people are attracted to him. You know Sam is hurting inside cause his best friends head has been severed which makes him this angry and missunderstood creature.

There's a ring of truth to this. Also, I know a lot of people in various fandoms who care deeply about a certain character -- and then proceed to put him or her through the proverbial wringer in their own fanworks. 'Cause you hurt the ones you love, don'cha know. (Heck, I can't say I'm immune to this myself!) In a strange way, it seems perfectly normal. More or less.
    Erg... I feel weird, maybe I need to draw something.

Please do. Those weird feelings sometimes lead to producing one's best works, after all. :)
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Oh yeah. And that's why he lets Max having Leonard in the closet for about two Seasons: Because is the right punishment for stole a sandwich.

Well, it's pretty much a given that Sam has a skewed moral compass, well meaning though he may be. On the other hand, I know a number of others on the forum (myself included) who thought keeping Leonard in the closet that long was a bit off-base even for Sam and Max, so ...
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Sam, sexy? He's a dog!

yeah.... eww..
  • edited June 2010
    Well, it's pretty much a given that Sam has a skewed moral compass, well meaning though he may be. On the other hand, I know a number of others on the forum (myself included) who thought keeping Leonard in the closet that long was a bit off-base even for Sam and Max, so ...

That why I say he has shades of Knight Templar.
  • edited June 2010

At least they feed him and talk to him, and Leonard looks like he's been bathed regularly too. Also, Sam's not exactly sane. Saner than Max, yes (or perhaps better at blending in with society), but he's not entirely sane.
  • edited June 2010
    At least they feed him and talk to him, and Leonard looks like he's been bathed regularly too. Also, Sam's not exactly sane. Saner than Max, yes (or perhaps better at blending in with society), but he's not entirely sane.

He has social skills. Max does not. I think.

Now, who's Saner, depend of your point of view. I like to say Sam is a bit saner than Max because he can blend with the society better. But not for much.
  • edited June 2010
    Also, I know a lot of people in various fandoms who care deeply about a certain character -- and then proceed to put him or her through the proverbial wringer in their own fanworks. 'Cause you hurt the ones you love, don'cha know.

Oh you have NO idea how true that is for me.
  • edited June 2010
    There's a ring of truth to this. Also, I know a lot of people in various fandoms who care deeply about a certain character -- and then proceed to put him or her through the proverbial wringer in their own fanworks. 'Cause you hurt the ones you love, don'cha know. (Heck, I can't say I'm immune to this myself!) In a strange way, it seems perfectly normal. More or less..

Erg, I'm having horrible flash backs to when I was a fan of Invader Zim... I an't never goin' back you hear me! THOSE PEOPLE AN'T RIIIGHT!
  • edited June 2010
    For me, it's the fact that Sam has been given a whole new depth. He's a goofy, laid-back, nice guy with knight templar tendencies. But take away Max, and he becomes--and forgive me if I'm jumping the gun, as I'm looking at those several screenshots where he's threatening to plug hapless victims--more of an apparent psychopath than his little buddy ever was.

As something of a psychology nerd, I find that fascinating. We all know that Sam keeps Max anchored, so to speak. That much is obvious just by looking at the pair. But the idea that Max is keeping Sam in check just as much is rarely touched on, even if it has been hinted at. We've seen hints of Sam's righteous temper in his various incarnations, and in most of them, Max is the one to calm him down.

Annnd I'll shut up because I started writing an essay and that's just silly.
  • edited June 2010
    Omegabegin wrote: »
    Annnd I'll shut up because I started writing an essay and that's just silly.

Please continue, I love read psychology-silly stuff. That was my favorite thing to do when I was a Jimmy Neutron Fan. Please continue, really.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes please carry on, I find it rather interesting, even though their fictional it's still something to think about becuase if it obviously made you think this way then thats a sign of good character development.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I wanna hear more psychology stuff too!
  • edited June 2010
    I'm going out on a limb here, but it may have to do with trouble socializing and fitting in -raging against the world that will never accept them. Between never meeting anyone else of their species and tending to insult and be a danger to everyone they meet it would be a horribly lonely and evil-feeling world if they didn't have each other. (And living in a bad neighborhood in a crapsack world doesn't help much either). So long as they have each other, they have a sense of normalcy and can both keep up the pretense that they're fine and perfectly sane. Take that away and it just gets too overwhelming.
  • edited June 2010
    You guys shouldn't be encouraging me like this. I FEEL SO SILLY.

Most of these points come from the animated series, so they may not apply specifically to Telltale Sam. I personally think that the arguments stand in any of his incarnations, but please keep in mind that without hard Telltale Sam evidence, this is all conjecture.

Warnings: essay, Animated Series, and 204 Spoilers

There are two instances of Sam's dangerous fury in the animated series. In the first example*, Sam witnesses a bully (whose name I can't be bothered to remember) giving his younger self a pinkbelly. He bursts up from the bushes he and Max had been hiding in, cursing the bully, until Max pulls him back down and tells him that they can't interfere with the timestream.

What's more interesting about that episode, however, is the fact that in the very same episode, Max alters the timestream himself. He makes it so that Sam becomes a monk, who claims to have "obtained higher consciousness", and later during a fight with a giant octopus, shows an aversion to violence by stating that "as a monk, [he] was taught to revere all life". Max is left in a pickle; how is he supposed to get the Sam he knows and loves back?

Luckily, the problem solves itself. The octopus hoists Sam up and begins hiving him a pinkbelly. What's interesting here is the fact that Max, seemingly delighted, latches on to that action and tempts Sam's rage: "He's giving you a pinkbelly, Sam! Come on! Have you no shame!?" It proves to be well-placed faith. Sam, despite his years of being a monk and learning peaceful ways, roars and begins biting the octopus. If this isn't clear-cut evidence that Sam's violent tendencies are due to genetic predisposition--NOT Max's influence--then I don't know what is. Max's encouraging is also a topic of consideration, as it implies that he is consciously aware of Sam's temper. More on that later.

What have we established so far? 1: Sam has an anger problem, whether or not Max is present. It may take some prodding, but that berserk button is definitely there. 2: Max is possibly aware of this problem; whether he knows that he is highly responsible for keeping it lidded is up for debate.

In the second example**...an eerie parallel/foreshadowing, now that I think about it...Max is made king of a tribe of guinea pig-gerbil things, and refuses to go home with Sam. Sam then sees a mark on Max's head, left by the crown, and immediately comes to the conclusion that they cut out his brain. What does he do?

He attacks them. Sam throws himself at the tribe and starts fighting them with his bare fists, rearing his head and roaring as they run away. Max, for his part, has to run up to Sam, saying "Shh, stop it Sam, I'm okay, I'm okay!" Sam does immediately calm down, even appearing sheepish for his actions, but this is the second instance of his anger in which he becomes feral and borderline mindless.

Max doesn't seem at all surprised by Sam's freak-out. He laughs somewhat as he assures his canine friend that he's all right, and shows no signs of being put-out by such a rapid change in behavior. This once again reinforces the idea that Max is consciously aware of Sam's temper, and that just as he is able to egg it on, he is able to ease it.

Once again, let's see what we've figured out, building on what we've already established. 1: Sam loses all sense of civilized behavior when he gets to that point in anger. 2: Max, while not responsible for the fury itself, is almost definitely aware that he has some sort of control when it comes to keeping it lidded.

While savage displays of rage are not carried over to the Telltale Games--perhaps due to the fact that Sam is the controllable character--signs of thoughtless anger are present. In another instance*** of meeting his past self, this time it's Little!Sam himself that pisses Sam off. The point of interest is where Sam actually pulls out his gun and appears very close to shooting his past self, without any thought as to what might happen to him now. Instead of Max, however, it's the time machine's AI that reminds him of possible repercussions. But even as he puts the gun away, he shows no remorse for his actions, stating that Little!Sam just got lucky.

So while Telltale Sam doesn't jump at his enemies in savage fury (again, which I believe is because he's the controllable character), his tendency to act on his anger is still very present. While I feel silly for writing a whole essay about this, I feel even sillier that I hadn't caught on to all of the foreshadowing before this. Clearly, I must work harder at being a psychology nerd.

--
    * Sam & Max Animated Series: Episode 1x09: "A Glitch In Time"
    ** Sam & Max Animated Series: Episode 1x03: "Max's Big Day"
    *** Sam & Max Beyond Time & Space: Episode 204: "Chariots of the Dogs"
  • edited June 2010
    Omega, you just took everything I've thought and made it sound intelligent. Sam most DEFINATELY has a berserk button, and it does make a whole whack of sense that you don't see him go crazy because he's the player character.
  • edited June 2010
    Wow, that was really well thought out :D
    I enjoyed reading that, then again I love this kind of stuff.

I think if you want an example of Sam's anger in the comic seires then the best example would be part one of "On The Road". Sam see's a guy robbing a store and bites his arm, this is most likely due to the fact he's been stressed due to the lack of crimes. After he bites him he says "I've never really done that before. I'm really embrarrased" and also states that he's not thinking straight, another example that Sam is possible of being just as crazy as his lil' lagomorph friend.
  • edited June 2010
    My not-so glorious contribution to the cause.

DSCN1176.jpg?t=1276292535
  • edited June 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb here, but it may have to do with trouble socializing and fitting in -raging against the world that will never accept them. Between never meeting anyone else of their species and tending to insult and be a danger to everyone they meet it would be a horribly lonely and evil-feeling world if they didn't have each other. (And living in a bad neighborhood in a crapsack world doesn't help much either). So long as they have each other, they have a sense of normalcy and can both keep up the pretense that they're fine and perfectly sane. Take that away and it just gets too overwhelming.

Dunno, I think you're trying to add angst where it doesn't exist. I mean, they have family, so there ARE others of their species. That also doesn't seem to matter as the fact that they are a walking, talking Dog and Lagomorph barely seems to faze anyone in the slightest unless it's for comedy value.
  • edited June 2010
    noirsamhtr.png
  • edited June 2010
    Holy crud crap! That's freakin' ace!
  • edited June 2010
    This joke thread has gotten surprisingly thoughtful and interesting! The talk of Sam's berserk button also makes me think if his letting his emotions overwhelm him is also the source of the attraction? There are times all of us get overwhelmed by some feeling, only it usually turns out badly, e.g. you try to confess to a crush only to look like an idiot, get angry and lose an argument by resorting to namecalling rather than logic, etc. Having Sam's anger turn him into a badass is basically watching a sort of fantasy, one where strong emotions lend us power rather than overpower us.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, from what I've seen it does overpower him. I don't think he's badass. His natural self is much better. On the other hand, the fact that he can't control his emotions is sexy, in the same way it's sexy when a man cries. See what I mean?
  • edited June 2010
    This is now the best thread on the Internet.
    Lena_P wrote: »
    isn't it funny that (mostly) female fans are falling over Angry Sam while (mostly) male fans think Flint is awesome? He's also angry and sleeveless, why aren't we attracted to him?
    Flint's pretty one dimensional. All he does is be crazy and talk in cliched detective dialogue. Sam has a lot more depth.
    I've always wondered about that. Is there ANYTHING in ANY of the Sam and Max merchandise about Sam having a girlfriend...or even a relationship?
    In the first comic, he said that there'd probably be great looking girls in see-through robes at the cult event, and that it sounded kind of interesting.

That's about it, I think.
    Also, I know a lot of people in various fandoms who care deeply about a certain character -- and then proceed to put him or her through the proverbial wringer in their own fanworks. 'Cause you hurt the ones you love, don'cha know. (Heck, I can't say I'm immune to this myself!) In a strange way, it seems perfectly normal. More or less.
    I do that because it provokes interesting reactions from Sam. And for the woobie factor.

Why I do this to a younger version of Sam as well is... a good question.
    Yeah, that was a bit over the top. By the second season I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Leonard.
    That why I say he has shades of Knight Templar.
    I maintain that he's more Lawful Stupid. But only inconsistently.
    Harald B wrote: »
    I don't they need acceptance or to think of themselves as sane. They seem to enjoy the weirder and more dangerous things about the world.
    (essay)
    I noticed Sam's rage issues in the cartoon, but I thought it was a personality trait that only existed there, like Max's hammyness. He doesn't seem to display it anywhere else. He's angry in the comic when Max is kidnapped, but not enraged.

But if the screenshots aren't misleading, it looks like I was wrong. I'm not sure if it's because he's the controllable character, though, since he never did it in the comics even when Max was killed.

I think the point in Season One when Sam finally just pulled his gun out and tried to shoot the bad guy is interesting as well. It was right after
    Hugh Bliss
    said "Die, bunny!".

I think if you want an example of Sam's anger in the comic seires then the best example would be part one of "On The Road". Sam see's a guy robbing a store and bites his arm, this is most likely due to the fact he's been stressed due to the lack of crimes. After he bites him he says "I've never really done that before. I'm really embrarrased" and also states that he's not thinking straight, another example that Sam is possible of being just as crazy as his lil' lagomorph friend.
    Yeah, I agree. Looks like he did it hard enough to break it, too.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Actually, from what I've seen it does overpower him. I don't think he's badass. His natural self is much better. On the other hand, the fact that he can't control his emotions is sexy, in the same way it's sexy when a man cries. See what I mean?

I still think he need a hug.

Also, I think you're right. But also, he's trying to focus his anger and emotions on the mission of find Max's Brain. I don't think his emotions are power him, is more his trying to control his emotions but he can't. So, he resort to a "What's Flint Paper will do" or something like that he can get some control of what he's doing (And THAT is what make him badass).

I think.

I guess I have to play the game to figure out =P
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I maintain that he's more Lawful Stupid. But only inconsistently.

I say Knight Templar because he enforces the Law. The Lawful Stupid pretty much follow the law to almost insanity.
    I don't they need acceptance or to think of themselves as sane. They seem to enjoy the weirder and more dangerous things about the world.

Yeah, but when they are together. Separated is different. It's like they decided they just need the acceptance and company of each other and the hell with the rest of the world, but when they don't have that, they feel empty or something. Max pretty much ripped the kidneys of the Demon Pepeers from Sam's hell, so I think is mutual.
    I'm not sure if it's because he's the controllable character, though, since he never did it in the comics even when Max was killed.

If I read my cards correctly, he will probably pass from a period of Depression (The one he was having in Bad Day on the Moon before discover he got Max's consciousness inside of him) before get to the "Badass a la Flint Paper" mode. In fact, I don't really think he's angered. I think he's mostly depressed and somewhat faking the anger to certain degree. When he meets the guy who actually stole Max's Brain, then he will get angered.

By the way:

SnM___Raining_by_Ginny_N.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    To add to Ginny's point people who are experiencing sadness and sense of powerlessness do sometimes express it in anger more than depression. They also grow spontaneous stubble. Scientists still aren't sure why.
  • edited June 2010
    I go away for a few hours, and this thread suddenly burgeons with insightful character analysis.

God, I love these forums. <3
    I do that because it provokes interesting reactions from Sam. And for the woobie factor.

Definitely. Those are both good ways of poking my inner masochist out of hibernation. In fact, I think the main reason I don't think as much along those lines as I used to is that it's been so long since I've planned and written fanfiction. (Looking at what I've done to my original characters in the interim, though, I should know better. The more things change, the more they stay the same ... )
    Why I do this to a younger version of Sam as well is... a good question.

A peek at my Christmas fic idea indicates I might have to do some explaining myself in the near-ish future. Oh dear.
    I noticed Sam's rage issues in the cartoon, but I thought it was a personality trait that only existed there, like Max's hammyness. He doesn't seem to display it anywhere else. He's angry in the comic when Max is kidnapped, but not enraged.

But if the screenshots aren't misleading, it looks like I was wrong. I'm not sure if it's because he's the controllable character, though, since he never did it in the comics even when Max was killed.

There's some significant differences, I think, which Ginny touched on somewhat. In "Bad Day on the Moon," Sam isn't given any time to be more than sad/in shock when Max's consciousness starts speaking to him. Since that's the closest equivalent to what happened at the end of 302, it's hard to say whether Sam's berserk switch was only moments away from being fully engaged. So it's possible that trait has been lurking there the whole time in both the comics and the Telltale games, only ready to surface for a substantial period of time -- as opposed to the brief, impulsive outbursts, like his willingness to pull a gun on his past self and the robbery example SillyStell brought up -- when something particularly heinous happened to Max. There's also the fact that what happened to Max in "Moon" was fixable without needing to confront the bad guys again.

The kidnapping incidents can only take us so far since Sam is fairly confident that, provided he's in one piece, Max can take care of himself.
    I think the point in Season One when Sam finally just pulled his gun out and tried to shoot the bad guy is interesting as well. It was right after
    Hugh Bliss
    said "Die, bunny!".

Yeah. Actually, I think that's the best example of potential foreshadowing brought up thus far, especially because it's something that can be pulled from the Telltale games themselves.

About the Knight Templar vs. Lawful Stupid thing: Sam strikes me as mostly Lawful Stupid with shades of Knight Templar, depending on the situation. I'd hesitate to tag him predominantly Knight Templar because he (generally) has enough sense in him and a strong enough laid-back disposition to not cross the line into sustained zealotry. His Heroic Sociopathic tendencies -- if not super strong most of the time -- also muddy the waters since they can tie into instances of either of the other tropes.
    Cheri wrote: »
    My not-so glorious contribution to the cause.

[picture!]
    By the way:

[picture!]

Yay, glasses!
  • edited June 2010
    I'm thinking in the line of social roles: psychologically, everyone is playing a role around other people, whether we are aware of it or not. Sam's role, normally, is the custodian of that crazy little rabbit, and to play it effectively he has to hold his more violent side in check. This role breaks down when Max is gone or appears to be out of his mind ("Max's Big Day").

And this is how Max appears to regulate Sam: Max, in effect, sends a signal that says "look, how are you setting up a good example for me if you behave like that?". This effectively cues Sam back to his "normal" role.

As for the Knight Templar / Lawful Stupid thing, neither looks fitting for Sam -- both tropes suggest blind adherence to The Law (or at least what the character considers The Law), Sam is very flexible; he steals a car in the Webcomic, knowing full well it is wrong.
  • edited June 2010
    I think you are reading too much into it.

Sam wasn't angry before, it will be a refreshing and welcome change which probably adds to the gameplay.
  • edited June 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    I think you are reading too much into it.

And then again I'll say it: That is what Fans do: Overthink stuff. And it's fun in certain degree ;)
  • edited June 2010
    And then again I'll say it: That is what Fans do: Overthink stuff. And it's fun in certain degree ;)

It's fun to do this. :D Helps with the wait :P
  • edited June 2010
    Warnings: essay, Animated Series, and 204 Spoilers

Wow! That's a lot of spoilers!

...:D
    noirsamhtr.png

That is excellent! Go re-post it in the fanart thread.
  • edited June 2010
    noirsamhtr.png

I think this should be used in some fan game :)
  • edited June 2010
    Cyrus7 wrote: »
    I think this should be used in some fan game :)

Well, the thesporkman has done his part - he's made a sprite. Now all someone needs to do is make the entire adventure game!
  • edited June 2010
    This has turned into my favourite thread, we've gone past the "New Noir Sam is seeexy!" to something deeper than that, amazing what a fanbase can do sometimes, instead of like other fanbases I've seen around the net their is much more positive air around here, I likes it!
  • edited June 2010
    If you use it in a game, will you switch the stripes' orientation? >.>
This discussion has been closed.