Interviews with cast & crew (merged threads)

Comments

• edited November 2010
    ^
    Ummm I don't think so. I think James Rolfe found out about him because Gametrailers had the exclusive behind the scenes vid. Maybe someone brought them together.

EDIT: Owh you're right. AJ approached him and he confirms it himself in the interview.
  • edited November 2010
    AJ should probably know more about the place where he's working, but okay. =P
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Why, what did he say that was off?
  • edited November 2010
    James appears a little bored in the second half of the interview...
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    I think it's because they record it over the internet. Talk via AIM or something.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    It's also a VERY long interview. You normally cut these to an approachable length, like five minutes.
  • edited November 2010
    Owh no, in this case 'less is more' definitely didn't apply.
    edited November 2010
    AJLC: "[Bob Gale] he's referenced your video about the BTTF games..."
    Rolfe (totally not interested): "Uh-huh..."

I don't get this guy. :D
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    LOL!
    Maybe he misheard or something. Or maybe he already is 'WOW'-ed out or something. =P

EDIT: I think he wanted to stay professional. He wanted to keep his own dialogue at the minimum, just asking questions and giving brief responses and let AJ have most of the time.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, some strange reactions. I like most of his AVGN-stuff though.
  • edited November 2010
    What's even more interesting is the comments brought up this link I hadn't seen before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAaKH0FYO8

Crazy.

Anyway, the interview was hardly informative, but it was cool hearing from the Marty on the project.
  • edited November 2010
    I noticed that on the photo he has both BTTF and JP posters from the upcoming Telltale games. Nice.

And the interview was... weird. The Nerd started as he didn't care and finished... Well, the same way. Anybody else noticed how he couldn't come up with questions? He was like: "Ummm... yeah... Tell me about working with X. What was it like?". That's something you ask a soccer player, not a voice actor.

But well, at least AJ seemed to have a great time.
  • edited November 2010
    not a voice actor.

He NEVER worked as a voice actor before. What did you want him to ask, seriously ?
  • edited November 2010
    James Rolfe isn't exactly the best interviewer, but not too bad. Interesting listen regardless.
  • edited November 2010
    Okay first of all, that was a hilarious and fantastic interview. The fact that AJ himself wanted to reach out to James for this interview is great on so many levels. I mean it really shows that he's also a nerd about games and he's tapped into the culture. It's one thing to inquire for interviews with a company and land one, but to have somebody hand you an interview on a platter while they're connected to the next big Back to the Future property project...that's amazing. A big hell yeah to AJ for this one.

Second of all, I've met James a few times now, and this is always how he is. It's a stark contrast with his angry nerd character. He always has this very unenthused sort of attitude and reaction in his speach. He's extremely mellow, and somewhat out there. You can also notice this in his other video interviews he does with people or really any time he's not in character. So hopefully AJ didn't take James' lack of enthusiasm as any insult throughout the interview. But yeah I totally get what you guys are getting at.
  • edited November 2010
    I thought it was nice to hear more of AJ's voice. More of a conversation than an interview, which is fine.
    AJLC: "[Bob Gale] he's referenced your video about the BTTF games..."
    Rolfe (totally not interested): "Uh-huh..."

I don't get this guy. :D

I think it's just because he knew that already, so there wasn't much for him to react to.
    edited November 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    He NEVER worked as a voice actor before. What did you want him to ask, seriously ?

"Voice actor" is a rather narrow term. AJ worked as a Jack Sparrow impersonator, for example, that would have been something I'd want to know a little more about. Painful job probably, but interesting. ;)

Video on his Youtube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk45CNrAYjE
  • edited November 2010
    nodoctors wrote: »
    any time he's not in character.

That means he's a brilliant actor. I really thought that was his personality and the AVGN was just a name, not a full character with separate traits.

Cool!
  • edited November 2010
    "Voice actor" is a rather narrow term. AJ worked as a Jack Sparrow impersonator, for example, that would have been something I'd want to know a little more about. Painful job probably, but interesting. ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

I didn't invent the term "voice actor". Did I ?

It seems obvious the guy is young, and that this is, BECAUSE HE SAID IT :rolleyes:, his first real job where he's asked to dub a character.

He said he's only done student movies and things like that.

As for the Jack Sparrow impersonation... For God's sake, how many Jack Sparrow are there on earth ? >_>

The nerd asked him about his past projects, and future projects. For the time being he doesn't really have many, besides dreaming of voicing a Spiderman. He's being way too vague (in several interviews now he said the same thing...) and sounds kinda unconfortable when asked about past jobs, he hasn't done anything major, we all know it, we're not THAT curious, are we ? We don't need every detail of his life ...

It's in NO WAY a criticism of any sort, he's young and he's just starting !

Would you prefer to have an interview that is meaningful or something like "So you're voicing Marty, do you like Pizzas over Pastas ?" ..
    edited November 2010
    As far as voice acting goes, the Sparrow thing is about the closest thing he has done regularly. So it'd be more like a "So, you're our Marty McFly in the game, but you've been Jack Sparrow last year?". But if you want it cut, no problem. Makes the interview shorter and jucier. :D
  • edited November 2010
    I just meant that being Disney characters isn't really special. :p

I've been an Aladdin for Disneyland Paris xD .

Jack Sparrow with his outfit, make up, mannerism and special accent is really an "easy" one. I mean, look at all the guys that are doing him at every convention etc... ^^

AJ is young, his career is starting. The interviews, since he can't talk about his only major job/role (cause he's under contract and can't spoil anything), which is Marty, will obviously be a little "weak" for now. ;)

When Johnny Depp says he was a pizza delivery boy, it makes you "wow". But since AJ is still in transition, I think his "past" isn't really the thing we should focus on right now. ^^

Present is the key :D .
  • edited November 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    When Johnny Depp says he was a pizza delivery boy, it makes you "wow".

That doesn't really shock me.

[/troll]
  • edited November 2010
    Love the AVGN, and AJ sounded fantastic. Does a perfect Marty. Loved how he relayed Bob Gale's denial of involvement on the LJN games, which were horrible. As for James, he's not the best interviewer, in fact he's usually pretty bad. That's not what he's known for.

PS: The reason the Sega Genesis BTTF 3 was so hard was that the developers were lazy and used the PAL version and sold that to NTSC areas. The PAL version was sped up, and they didn't slow the timing and the result was a mess.
  • edited November 2010
    Hey guys!

I have just interviewed AJ LoCascio, the new voice of Marty McFly!

You can check out the interview here:

AJ LoCascio Interview - Alternative Magazine Online
  • edited November 2010
    Nice! Marty McFly interviews Marty McFly :D
    In the BttF universe that's definitely possible.

EDIT: You know what I like about this AJ guy. That he's clearly a real Marty/BttF fan and he does effort in expressing this. I like it.
    Opposed to all those actors who want a role in a licence based movie and then act as if they're familiar with the games and are fans. *is reminded of Christian Bale when he was asked wether he was interested in doing a MGS movie adaptation*

What this does is that you are really genuinly happy for said actor because you know that he really wanted to do this and a dream has come true for him.
  • edited November 2010
    I was worried the universe would explode or somthing but things seem to have gone okay! :D

EDIT: Yeah, you can tell AJ is passionate about the franchise, kind of similar to Dom Armato with Monkey Island. I like it too! I look forward to interviewing him again over the the coming months!
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Nice! Best of luck to you both!
    Nice short interview. I especially liked the question about the distinctive characteristics of Marty.
    AJ was spot on. I was like 'Yes! Those are the words I have been looking for to describe Marty'.

Also:
    but when I did the impression in the studio he turned into the energetic Doc we all know – which scared me a wee bit. There’s also a clip of Kevin Smith freaking out about the impression out there, which is just hilarious in general.

I hope TellTale provides us with a lot of funny behind the scenes material as extras on the DVD release. :D
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks! You may also like my recent review of Back To The Future (25th Anniversary Theatrical Re-Release):

Back To The Future (25th Anniversary Theatrical Re-Release) Review - Alternative Magazine Online

I hope there is plenty of extra material on the DVD too! :)
  • edited November 2010
    Yup, great reading. Just finished.
    Adresses a lot of aspects and the closing comment was beautiful :D
  • edited November 2010
    Nice interview!
    martymcfly wrote:
    I look forward to interviewing him again over the the coming months!
    Next time, Could you give us an opportunity to submit questions for AJ here at the forums just like Alan does?
  • edited November 2010
    Milkman08 wrote: »
    Nice interview!

Next time, Could you give us an opportunity to submit questions for AJ here at the forums just like Alan does?

Hi Milkman08, thanks the kind words! I sometimes do ask other fans to offer questions for my interviews, but that isn't usually until the final episode at least. Questions are limited and it wouldn't be much of an interview on my part if everyone else did all of the hard work for me. :p
  • edited November 2010
    Speaking of Metal Gear Solid, I allways wanted to do a fan voice of snake....anyway great Interview!
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    There’s also a clip of Kevin Smith freaking out about the impression out there, which is just hilarious in general.

Right HERE.
  • edited November 2010
    Right HERE.

Haha! That's great.

I can only imagine how proud AJ must be hearing everybody's reaction to him. I've yet to hear a single person be unimpressed with his voice.
  • edited November 2010
    Haha look at him doing the Marty singing Johnny B. Goode impersonation from the movie! Awesome!

http://vimeo.com/16829452
  • edited December 2010
    Hi guys! Looking forward to the release of the game, big fan of the movie franchise! Here's an interview I did with Ryan and Bob. It also comes out in the December 2010 - January 2011 issue of the Philippine-based men's lifestyle magazine UNO. Such an honor!

Click on this link:
    http://www.unomagazine.com.ph/2010/12/back-to-the-future-the-game/

You can purchase the eReader format of UNO as well. Hope you liked the interview!

Btw, here's the layout of the interview from the magazine.

UNO-BACKINTIME-1.jpg

Cheers!
  • edited December 2010
    look, if it’s bttf, we’ve gotta have a delorean, right? So that’s a no-brainer! I didn’t have to mention that to the telltale guys. They’re fans too, and they knew it had to be part of the game. by the way, we put a new dmc in the animated series back in 1991!

rgggaaaaahhh!!!!
  • edited December 2010
    ^is that of frustration or of shock? :P
  • edited December 2010
    You have a strong partnership with Robert Zemeckis. Has he been giving his opinions on the game as well, and do you discuss it with him a lot?

Bob Z isn’t a gamer, so he hasn’t been involved.

I wonder if that means that he didn't want to be involved with the game, because he wasn't interested in video games, or that nobody asked him to be involved, because they didn't think he'd have anything valuable to contribute?
  • edited December 2010
    It's possible that Bob Z was also asked but he felt he didn't have enough background on video gaming and decided to pass. Anyway, I'm purely speculating. Hope you enjoyed the read. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.