Your opinions on 304? [SPOILERS]

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
Mine:Godlike.
The return of Bluster Blaster, the comical Sal abuse and a plot twistier than a corkscrew (Yeah, cheesy comparison) made this one of my favourites, who'd thought that the ultimate villian would be
Demon max?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I think we all secretly hoped for it, but never thought we'd see the day.
  • edited July 2010
    I loved the whole episode but it went too quickly! Also, I will be really really sad if Papierwaite, Skunkape or Sal are dead. If any of them are gone, I will go into mourning for days :(
  • edited July 2010
    I loved it, especially the plot - twistier than a party game requiring a white sheet with coloured dots on it.

Didn't actually think much of bluster blaster. Played almost no part at all in the story. Everything else though was wonderful. Truly laughed out loud, and was gripped the whole way through.
  • edited July 2010
    Ditto on Bluster Blaster, but I am kinda waiting to see WTF is up with his future, though.

Edit: Also waiting on PSN to update so I can see if the trophies lead anywhere interesting.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey yeah!

I'm also thinking "NO MAX, NOT THE CHRYSLER BUILDING" from ep 1 is promising for ep 5 ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Loved it loved it loved it, by far the best episode of the season.
  • edited July 2010
    I may need to go back through season 2, but this may now be my best Telltale episode of all time. At least until the finale.
  • edited July 2010
    Every episode this season is the best episode of all time and they just keep getting better, in my mind. I particularly love the flavor of the final act.
  • edited July 2010
    What an absolutely brilliant episode. Everything was spot on, from the reveal of Dr. Norrington (that cutscene actually had me quite nervous), to the episode's villain, to the music, to the entire story. My favorite joke of the episode was one that I saw coming before using a psychic power:
    the fact that Papierwaite's security code was "foot snake squiggle squiggle bird"
    I really, really, can't wait for the next episode. Hopefuly it's out next month.
  • edited July 2010
    The episode was confusing. At first.

But then, the plot stuff cleared up quite nicely. But, damn, that ending. This episode is composed of some creepier then Puzzle Agent stuff. And that's a good accomplishment.

I was actually wondering right at the final part of the game, "Man, how will the season finale top this?", and then the last cutscene showed me how.

Favorite Episode of the Season.
    I mean, of Sam and Max.
    I mean, of all the games Telltale has made.
  • edited July 2010
    Just remembered sam and max impersonating bosco. Classic XD
  • edited July 2010
    I liked it but unfortunately it seems to still be very buggy in a lot of places.
  • edited July 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    I liked it but unfortunately it seems to still be very buggy in a lot of places.

I only had a bug where there was
    a floating card by the dimensional destabilizer
  • edited July 2010
    Really really loved this episode, there where so many well written hidden jokes, the puzzles (except two that had design flaws) made a lot of sense. And the bugs I've encountered are to small to mention. This is my favorite episode of season 3 by far!
  • edited July 2010
    Absolutely loved every minute of it. The puzzles, music, story everything!
    Originally posted by allaboardfilms
    My favorite joke of the episode was one that I saw coming before using a psychic power:
    the fact that Papierwaite's security code was "foot snake squiggle squiggle bird"

I thought that too. :D
    Although I was sad when
    Papierwaite died. NO! He can't die. He is too awesome to die!!!
    I loved the twists as well. It was very funny, but I was disappointed about Bluster Blaster. Too short an appearance. I am happy, just because he was back. Oh, I can't wait for episode 5! Argh, the next episode might be super epic! This episode is an instant favourite for me! The best Telltale episode full stop. Brilliant job Telltale! Brilliant!
  • edited July 2010
    I'm amazed. It's the first episode since a long time I played through in one go. I was a bit disappointed by Episode 3, but this one is great again. I really liked the throwbacks or references to other games
    the TF2 thing, "Unholy this" and I think i heard something the Drive-Through-Whale from SBCG4AP said
    . Buster Blaster is also great, when he talks about his adventures with Bosco and Bosco's fate. Reading his mind is also great. Now i have to go to bed. It's half past midnight over here and i must go to work tomorrow.
  • edited July 2010
    Yay asset crossovers! Unholy this!
  • edited July 2010
    I found Flint "interrogating" Stinky (as performed by sam and max) hilarious. Chuckled at the great performance of Romeo and Juliet. And don't forget our dearest annihilator buster blaster! And good guy Sal! And.. And.. and...

UGH could ramble on for ages, way too many great scenes in this one.
  • edited July 2010
    i loved this episode and it will be my favorite for now (waiting to see if 305 will top this)
  • edited July 2010
    Holy damn, wasn't the ending creepy? I appreciated the thing a lot, but kinda made me miss the good old cartoon sillyness of the previous seasons. The whole thing went from "awesomesauce" to "i want my mommy" after the very first piece of line coming from
    Charlie Ho-Tep
    himself. Seeing Max
    transforming into a squid-like creature
    made me really sad. It's always good not to develop a bond to a fictional character whose fiction is known for catastrophic plot-twists.
  • edited July 2010
    This episode was EPIC!

Also, did you guys know about Bosco's first name, "Roscoe"?
  • edited July 2010
    AWESOME EP! Love it >:3
  • edited July 2010
    Okay, after feeling like the season started off on a high note (301), fell on its face (302), and then pulled itself off the floor and got back on its feet (303)... It pulled this out of its arse and kicked us all in the pants. 304 officially is the best episode so far. By, like, a mile. And 305 looks to be all sorts of awesome. I mean, it's gonna have to be if it wants to top THAT.

I mean, just... Jeebus. After the
    big reveal with Charlie Ho-Tep
    , everything took a turn for the weird, in a good way. I mean, I doubt that anyone could have even TRIED to expect that. I mean,
    HE was the 'Master?!' The ventriloquist dummy?! I doubt that most of us knew that son of a redwood was ALIVE!
    And then they top it off with
    the grand finale psychic battle...
    This felt like it was epic enough to be 305! And they actually could have ended it here, and I'd've felt satisfied if I had paid for only four episodes, until...
    Max mentions he swallowed some of Yog-Soggoth-knows-what and turned into that... THING.
    And now I'm stuck here wondering how the hell they're going to resolve that plot-twist AND top this episode. I mean, HOW THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO TOP THIS.

Seriously.
  • edited July 2010
    Yadda wrote: »
    ... high note (301), fell on its face (302)...

I still think 301 is the weakest and 302 is one of the strongest episodes of the season o_ô
    And, god, Charlie is a sleazy piece of wood, planning this for a hundred years, and a possible thousands of years before that incident happened
  • edited July 2010
    Eh, 302 was good in its own way, but I just liked the atmosphere of 301 better.
  • edited July 2010
    When Charlie started talking i thought to myself "I KNEW HE WAS EVIL!"
  • edited July 2010
    The one thing that blew me away more than anything else is that they actually managed to make me feel sorry for Girl Stinky, thanks to that last cutscene after the credits. And all it took was the
    presumed death of the most sympathetic character ever to appear in the game.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, for me 301 was good, 302 better, 303 a real letdown.

And now 304 topples 302. Yay! And yeah, I was also wondering at the end; how are they going to topple this for 305? Afterwards, I can't wait the whole month darnit! :p
  • edited July 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »

I only had one bug. It was when they were trying to shoot at the coffee mug. MAX DISSAPEARED AND THERE WAS A FLOATING, SHOOTING GUN. Telltale, whatever you do, never attempt to fix that bug. It was amazing.
  • edited July 2010
    To start off, the episode: purely epicly awsome. Second, I said it in an earlier thread, I knew that Charlie Hotep was evil and that he would be the villain of 304 and since I said it right before 303 I claim rights to having said it first. Lastly, I can't imagine how the next episode will be because it seems that the only villain left is Max and I just can't imagine an entire episode without Max with you.
  • edited July 2010
    Did anyone notice that Harry Moleman appears to have grown a more palatable personality this episode, like maybe the construction worker's remnants seeped into him during his sauna visit.
  • edited July 2010
    Flah wrote: »
    The one thing that blew me away more than anything else is that they actually managed to make me feel sorry for Girl Stinky, thanks to that last cutscene after the credits. And all it took was the
    presumed death of the most sympathetic character ever to appear in the game.

Indeed. Sal is the most likable guy besides our two main heroes, and the fact that the two were apparently in love and Girl Stinky calling for Sal being the last thing you see makes me feel really sorry for her and made me hope Sal was not dead.

The episode was great. The dimension hopping, the future visions, the slight return of interrogation (I immediately went for the Noir option), all leading up to
    an awesome psychic battle on top of the Statue of Liberty! We then get a fake out of Max dying, as a call back to 303, and then....the final cutscene.

Max transforms, Sam runs for his life, th Sam Clone clutching at the bunny doll gets stepped on as if it were a metaphor as to what was happening to the relationship of Sam & Max now that Max has become something else....
    I cannot wait for the finale
  • edited July 2010
    301, 302, and 303 are all clumped together at the very bottom of my list of Sam and Max episodes. They're all style, no substance, and they're just plain boring. The first one seemed the best because the shiny new game smell and the appeal of the new visuals, music style, etc would hit you harder and carry the weak game a bit farther than it can in later installments.

304, on the other hand, is practically on the opposite side of the spectrum. It's up there as a peer of episode 204: Chariots of the Dogs. They go to the same parties and one doesn't absolutely embarrass the other and it's totally great.
  • edited July 2010
    Now this episode... THIS episode... This is what I'm talking about! This is the first one of this season that I actually like. There's actual puzzles in this one (though they were just trial-and-error type) which gives it so many bonus points in my book, you don't even know.

I know that from the previous episodes, all the characters received some new action and facial animations. This episode took great advantage of that. Also, the added detail to the rooms (hot spots and the general activity of the room without interaction from the player) were shining. (I still want more unimportant hot spots to get Sam and Max talking aimlessly and/or with non sequiturs.)

But, the same problem I have with the other episodes arises in this one: too emotional, almost getting touchy-feely. It feels like there's now four different romantic sub-plots in this season. I barely tolerated Season 2's one. Now I have four at the same time to try to understand. I hate that.

And I'm still disappointed with no song and/or dance number.

Despite all the bugs and typos (seriously, why is there so many? I don't remember as many in the previous seasons...), some uncomfortable scenes
    and I'm not talking about the ones with Girl Stinky and Sal or when Charlie decided to talk
    , and some odd comments from Max, it's a solid episode. This is probably the only episode for this season I recommend playing.
    301, 302, and 303 are all clumped together at the very bottom of my list of Sam and Max episodes. They're all style, no substance, and they're just plain boring. The first one seemed the best because the shiny new game smell and the appeal of the new visuals, music style, etc would hit you harder and carry the weak game a bit farther than it can in later installments.

304, on the other hand, is practically on the opposite side of the spectrum. It's up there as a peer of episode 204: Chariots of the Dogs. They go to the same parties and one doesn't absolutely embarrass the other and it's totally great.

I hope you don't mind me doing this... ::hugs:: ^_^
  • edited July 2010
    Somehow, I don't think that
    Sal is dead. He is a cockroach after all.

Also,
    Demon Max
    at the end was brilliant. My very first thought was: this is awesome. :D
  • edited July 2010
    I loved everything up to the ending. I loved the boss fight but not the very end with Max. I mean it wasn't bad, just predictable.

Oh forgot to mention, but my favorite part was taking Sam through the dimensional destabalizer or whatever it was, anyway I loved seeing his reactions to the Dark Dimension. Very creepy in a dark humor way, it was almost like something Annable would do.
  • edited July 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me doing this... ::hugs:: ^_^
    Haha, no problem. It's great knowing that someone else thinks even remotely the same way about Season Three. It's kind of refreshing. :D
  • edited July 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that Harry Moleman appears to have grown a more palatable personality this episode, like maybe the construction worker's remnants seeped into him during his sauna visit.

I think Harry Moleman will play a major role in the final episode. He is the only one immune to the powers of the elder gods...
  • edited July 2010
    I loved everything up to the ending. I loved the boss fight but not the very end with Max. I mean it wasn't bad, just predictable.

Second time Telltale did that too. SCP ftw.
  • edited July 2010
    Haha, no problem. It's great knowing that someone else thinks even remotely the same way about Season Three. It's kind of refreshing. :D

Maybe you could go to the same parties? They are mostly in the same basement.

Seriously, take a step back and realize that you don't like s3 only because you either has some emotional nostalgic problems or a compulsion to go against the masses. It has nothing to do with the quality of the episodes.

S3 is graphicly superior, tons easier to navigate, doesn't run on the same massproduct concept (get 3 of those, complete 3 trials every damn episode) that the last two seasons did and is actually very varied and inventive in the storyline and how to solve puzzles. Also, it is more directed towards an older audience where as s1-2 practicly was just cartoonish violence at best and had that disturbing sesamy street mix of talk for grown ups and physical stuff for children.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.