Problems with login/ unlock/ reinstall/ Windows 7 (merged threads)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    when i try to run as Administrator it still freezes and wont load past a black screen. a blacks screen comes up and that is all i get.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm having the exact same issue on my macbook
  • edited December 2010
    For some reason it has us in "oflfine mode" and therefore wont activate. But there;s nothnig there to put us in "online mode". what the hell already!!
  • edited December 2010
    i cant get it to run on my windows 7 64 machine, after updating all drivers. I had to resort playing on my much older laptop which has vista on it, works fine now
  • edited December 2010
    I'ts a miracle.... i got it to work... i feel like a genius!!!
  • edited December 2010
    how
  • edited December 2010
    i had to close all open programs.. that is a must..
    then turn your firewall off.
    then disconnect from the internet.
    . then run the game in administrator mode...
    then it should work... just reconnect to the internet and log in using your telltale
    name and password

my computer isnt too good so i had to turn the graphics and all down to low settings and i had to turn the game down to 800x600 or so resolution,

thegame is amazing!!!!

sorry for all the nasty comments i may of posted.. i was frustrated...
    if anyone needs help.. let me know..
  • edited December 2010
    I had that initially but fixed it by opening the properties for the shortcut (via the right mouse menu) and choosing advanced on shortcut tab and checked the run as administrator box (though really I only did that after manually selecting run as administrator a few times). It should be noted that I'm running Windows 7, and as I don't know what you're using I don't know if this'll help at all.
  • edited December 2010
    I just uninstalled then reinstalled...
  • edited December 2010
    I still need help. I'm very glad that everyone else is having a good time. I still can't get my copy to work right. Gotta reinstall -- again.
  • edited December 2010
    tiger,,, what kind of problems are you having.
  • edited December 2010
    Right now I'm reinstalling it but the last several times it lets me get to the main menu page and then it skips - sound and video. The cursor is slow as hell and often skips. It'll open the intro but the audio is waaaay off. It's like it's still trying to load the game as it plays --

When installing do I select Run for the bttf 101 setup or do I click Save?
  • edited December 2010
    Ok I made it work too. You need to go in ?:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Back to the Future The Game\Episode 1 and then play the game .exe in administrator mode. It worked just when I did it.
  • edited December 2010
    sounds like you have something running on your computer... try these instructions..

Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited December 2010
    I don't have Vista. I have Windows 7
  • edited December 2010
    I don't have Vista. I have Windows 7

works for windows 7 as well
  • edited December 2010
    sethf11 wrote: »
    works for windows 7 as well

Just followed your steps to a "T" and it almost screwed my computer up. Where can I go to get a refund? It just doesn't work for my computer and I don't want it at this point. It's far too much of a hassle to just get it installed!

Thanks for your help though!
  • edited December 2010
    The only one that can't seem to get the game to install and work correctly?
    We have windows 7 and it just flat out refuses to work on our computer. It's rather infuriating to have to feel like this about a darn downloadable game!
    We seem to either have to downgrade our OS or not be able to play it period. It's not worth the time at this point!
  • edited December 2010
    I have Windows 7 and it works for me, that doesn't really help you, but at least I'm letting you know it does work on Windows 7 :)
  • edited December 2010
    I have Windows 7 and was having trouble running the game, too.

First problem i ran into was when i first installed it... I unchecked "PLAY NOW!" right after the installation (there's "PLAY NOW"! and "CREATE SHORTCUT TO THE DESKTOP").

When i went to run the game, the launcher opened up and then redownloaded the whole thing a second time...

I went back and ran my install file again, and this time did not uncheck "PLAY NOW".. That started the game the first time. After that when i shut it all down and tried to open it a second time, i found that the PLAY button in the launcher wasn't working.

I had to right click on the shortcut and go to the advanced properties and check "run as administrator". After that the game seems to work properly.
  • edited December 2010
    Our HP is brand new. I refuse to believe that it's our computer that's causing this. I don't know. I just emailed Telltale asking for a refund. I guess it's just not in the cards. Let me know how the game goes.

I've downloaded and re downloaded at least 30 times, tried running it as an administrator, tried to start it up various ways -- nothing.
  • edited December 2010
    i had trouble with it, but it seems than the problem was than i installed in another hard drive instead of the C drive. Try installing in the default folder if you haven't and give it a go. Hope that helps.

edit: forget about that ._. that is happening to me too, only worked once
  • edited December 2010
    Our HP is brand new. I refuse to believe that it's our computer that's causing this. I don't know. I just emailed Telltale asking for a refund. I guess it's just not in the cards. Let me know how the game goes.

I've downloaded and re downloaded at least 30 times, tried running it as an administrator, tried to start it up various ways -- nothing.

It's not your computer, it's TellTale's incredibly shoddy product testing.
  • edited December 2010
    I agree, but if everyone else seems to be playing it now without a hitch then obviously I'm missing something. What I won't do is downgrade my OS just to play a game.
  • edited December 2010
    Just followed your steps to a "T" and it almost screwed my computer up. Where can I go to get a refund? It just doesn't work for my computer and I don't want it at this point. It's far too much of a hassle to just get it installed!

Thanks for your help though!

I'd direct an email to tech support. I'd also NEVER follow tech support from someone else on a forum.

Depending your set up what works for one person may not work for the next. Not trolling, just offering advice. Hope everything gets fixed or worked out for ya.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, testing should cover up many hardware/software combinations. That is what "testing" is. So you shouldn't have had this problem, really.

What IS your problem, actually? Launcher does not work? Error after launcher? Can you get to the menu?
  • edited December 2010
    I agree, but if everyone else seems to be playing it now without a hitch then obviously I'm missing something. What I won't do is downgrade my OS just to play a game.

Why do you think the OS is to blame...? There's plenty of people running the game with Windows 7.
  • edited December 2010
    Game runs rather choppy - sound, video, everything. I've reinstalled nearly 30 times and I keep getting the same thing. I try running it as Administrator and that doesn't work. Like many of you I run on Windows 7. I've listened to the advice of many but for what ever reason it still runs choppy. I'm not about to dig into my OS just to run it so please if that's what you're going to say then don't waste your time.

EDIT: Okay. I get it. I'm to blame for it. I'll just stop. I'm getting my money back anyway so I shouldn't be upset.
  • edited December 2010
    But game still runs, right? How are the graphic settings?
  • edited December 2010
    Game runs rather choppy - sound, video, everything. I've reinstalled nearly 30 times and I keep getting the same thing. I try running it as Administrator and that doesn't work. Like many of you I run on Windows 7. I've listened to the advice of many but for what ever reason it still runs choppy. I'm not about to dig into my OS just to run it so please if that's what you're going to say then don't waste your time.

?

Okaaay. To stop the game from being "choppy" then you just need to lower the graphical quality settings in the game's "Settings" menu. (You might try being more clear in the future -- in your original post you claimed you couldn't install the game properly, when actually you've had no problems installing the game properly.)

Uninstalling and re-installing the game is not going to alter a thing. Changing your OS is not going to alter a thing.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, well, when you put it like "It refuses to work on my computer", many assumes that it doesn't work at all.

It's most likely a hardware issue and you have to lower the settings. Sorry...
  • edited December 2010

EDIT: Okay. I get it. I'm to blame for it. I'll just stop. I'm getting my money back anyway so I shouldn't be upset.

i had to turn all my settings way down.. graphics, sound, visual effects..and also screen display...

that should do the trick..
  • edited December 2010
    I have Windows Vista on a quad processor with more gigs of ram than it's able to show and it won't work for me. Period. I even uninstalled and redownloaded it. Nada. Getting a little disappointed/upset. I know it's just a game, but I paid good money for it. Hope it works soon. Even with the DVD version I'm not sure if it'd work later on (probably would). The game ... I install it then it makes me redownload it and install it again on an unbreakable loop. No place to put in the serial and no demo option. And then it just started going to a black screen and refuses to even load the thing that makes me download another install file. Now it's just dead. Mocking me silently.
  • edited December 2010
    I have Windows Vista on a quad processor with more gigs of ram than it's able to show and it won't work for me. Period. I even uninstalled and redownloaded it. Nada. Getting a little disappointed/upset. I know it's just a game, but I paid good money for it. Hope it works soon. Even with the DVD version I'm not sure if it'd work later on (probably would). The game ... I install it then it makes me redownload it and install it again on an unbreakable loop. No place to put in the serial and no demo option. And then it just started going to a black screen and refuses to even load the thing that makes me download another install file. Now it's just dead. Mocking me silently.

See, THAT'S a problem.

Have you let the installer check your DirectX?
  • edited December 2010
    I install it then it makes me redownload it and install it again on an unbreakable loop.

Here's your answer:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21498
  • edited December 2010

Erm dude, it just sounds like your hardware isn't good enough for the level you're trying to run it on, if anything, downgrading to Vista will give you even Worse performance.

Try downgrading the graphics, I am curious though, what's your specs?
  • edited December 2010
    Like I've posted on another thread Thunderpeel, along with everyone else here, has indeed helped me. I had to downgrade the graphics so that I can run it properly. Now it runs without a hitch. Currently enjoying this fine game.

BTW, I cancelled my refund.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm hoping someone has found a solution to this problem. I'm running the game in Windows 7 64bit. I get the "Back to the Future: The Game" window with gray bars at the top and bottom (telltale games logo in the upper left), but the rest of the screen is black... the launcher content does not load. Additionally, the whole window is darkened, with white text in the top left (over the telltale logo) that says "Loading..." The launcher never loads. This is not the same as the repeated download issue, and it happens whether I run the exe as administrator or not.

Has anyone else seen this specific problem? Any ideas on how to get around it? I'm stumped, and really bummed that I can't get any further. :(
  • edited December 2010
    I'm getting this exact same issue. Supposedly, you can get the .exe to work by running it as the computer's Administrator, but that hasn't worked for me yet.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.