JP Blu-Ray

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5739

Well looks like we're finally getting a JP Blue-ray.
I know the JP4 shooting board was supposedly debunked, but with this announcement I still think there is hope for my idea that they were shooting a very small teaser for the disc when it comes out. Regardless of anything I'm excited that Jurassic Park seems to finally be getting the respect it deserves with this new game, the comic series , and now the Blue-ray.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    They should at least mention something on the blu ray movies about jp4
  • edited January 2011
    So, who thinks there's gonna be another free episode deal on the blu-ray, or did that particular promotion blow up in Telltale's face?
  • edited January 2011
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5739

Well looks like we're finally getting a JP Blue-ray.
    I know the JP4 shooting board was supposedly debunked, but with this announcement I still think there is hope for my idea that they were shooting a very small teaser for the disc when it comes out. Regardless of anything I'm excited that Jurassic Park seems to finally be getting the respect it deserves with this new game, the comic series , and now the Blue-ray.

You know, I'm not going to lie at all...it's probably just going to be a cheap blu-ray and have the same special features the DVD had..so..with that said, meh.
  • edited January 2011
    if it even has special features.
  • edited January 2011
    That's my fear. I want it on Blu-Ray but It's probably just going to be a re-release of the pack they sold a while back. Maybe we'll get luck and we'll get some new features. Maybe one of those features where the cast comes back and talks about the film. One of those look back features.

But I doubt it :(
  • edited January 2011
    I'm hoping for individual releases. I really only want the first one...
  • edited January 2011
    That's my fear. I want it on Blu-Ray but It's probably just going to be a re-release of the pack they sold a while back. Maybe we'll get luck and we'll get some new features. Maybe one of those features where the cast comes back and talks about the film. One of those look back features.

But I doubt it :(

They did it for BTTF, even MJF who isn't in the greatest shape at the moment.
  • edited January 2011
    My God, so much love for Jurassic Park over on the Blu-Ray boards...they're even going on about how great JP is along with Hitchcock's films and Star Wars in one breath! That made my day... :)

BTW, having been active in the JP online community for years, this is like, the fourth or fifth time we've had major rumors or evidence that that films are coming out on Blu-Ray or a new format...I'll wait for the official announcement before I start saving up!
  • edited April 2011
    The site Play.com listed three different versions of a "Jurassic Park" blu-ray release. It's coming closer. I guess it's only a matter of time until we get an official announcement.:)

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/0-/Search.html?searchtype=BLU&searchsource=0&searchstring=jurassic%20park&source=9593&_$ja=tsid:11853|prd:85386
  • edited April 2011
    The site Play.com listed three different versions of a "Jurassic Park" blu-ray release. It's coming closer. I guess it's only a matter of time until we get an official announcement.:)

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/0-/Search.html?searchtype=BLU&searchsource=0&searchstring=jurassic%20park&source=9593&_$ja=tsid:11853|prd:85386

If I may use the occasion to the quote Gene Wilder from the classic comedy "Silver Streak":

YAAAAAAAY! (claps hands together in the broadest and most ridiculous way possible). :eek::D
  • edited April 2011
    That's really cool, Jurassic Park (the first one) is definitely a movie I want to have on Bluray... which means I'll end up getting all of them because of the completely irrational 'completionist' part of me :D

As has been mentioned already though - I hate how so often they re-release movies not that long after the first release and include more bonus stuff and such.
    I always feel wary about buying the first release of anything.
  • edited April 2011

Woo hoo! :D
  • edited April 2011
    I really want to know the difference between the Jurassic Park Trilogy: Steel Tin Special Edition and the Jurassic Park Trilogy: Limited Edition.
  • edited April 2011
    I hope I don't have to wait that much longer than rest of the world for JP Blu-ray to come out in Australia. I've been putting off re-watching them for a hi-def release.

That'll teach me for living in such a small, out of the way consumer market!
  • edited April 2011
    I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that Spielberg planned something special with the Blu-Ray releases. If we're lucky, it may be a teaser trailer for JP4. But, it will most likely just be another Blu-Ray with nothing special.
  • edited April 2011
    I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that Spielberg planned something special with the Blu-Ray releases. If we're lucky, it may be a teaser trailer for JP4. But, it will most likely just be another Blu-Ray with nothing special.

You are not wrong, he said that. And I'm sure: If Spielberg says "something special", then he means "something special".;)
  • edited April 2011
    I am hoping for something atleast similar to the BTTF Blu-ray: Remastered, digital copy, and maybe a new in-depth documentary. I would love to see an extended version with deleted scenes plugged in.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm very meh on extended editions. They are rarely as good as or better than the theatrical release. There are exceptions of course but they are few and far between. When a scene gets cut out there is usually a good reason for it. Less is more is a good general rule for film.
  • edited April 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I really want to know the difference between the Jurassic Park Trilogy: Steel Tin Special Edition and the Jurassic Park Trilogy: Limited Edition.
    Limited edition will be some sort of a special box set, probably with a collector's item included, and maybe an art book or something.
  • edited April 2011
    You are not wrong, he said that. And I'm sure: If Spielberg says "something special", then he means "something special".;)

Given Spielberg's attention to the JP series over the past decade, it'll probably be a two-hour video of him farting into the camera and spitting on a big JP logo and laughing! :p
  • edited April 2011
    To be fair, he was never that passionate about Jurassic Park. In fact there's a quote of him saying that he wouldn't even consider putting the film on his top 5 of his own features.

Its kinda a sad say thing, but JP was mainly a money-maker to sustain Schindler's List (released the same year), a film which he decided not to take a single penny from.
    He does that "double release" thing a lot: The same year he releases two films. One more personal and a blockbuster.

However, that doesn't mean that Spielberg didn't have fun directing JP and put a lot of heart on it. On the contrary, I'm sure he remembers as a positive experience. But while I consider JP my favorite film of all times, I know its a flawed film and that Spielberg has made better films.

My two complicated cents.
  • edited April 2011
    ^^ Yes, I agree. Spielberg only saw JP as a way of doing realistic dinosaurs, then lost interest. Supposedly, he was going to abandon the film outright and just make Schindler's List, but the then-President of Universal said something along the lines of "You can make Schindler's but first you have to make Jurassic Park for us".

And Spielberg has stated more than once the only reason he made TLW was as a "substitute" for a sequel that people had been asking for for years but he would never make as he didn't want to mar one of his "personal, important" films: ET 2.

With JP3, they just gave up and rushed a film into theaters without a script, and with JP4, they spend so much time trying to get the script right that the movie never made it to theaters...

So, uh...there it is. :(
  • edited April 2011
    Jurassic Park to me is one of those Nostalgia movies, don't get me wrong it's one of my favorite movies of all time, and I'm passionate about it. But I think blu-ray whathav you will ruin the nostalgic factor of the film..even watching it on a high def TV ruins some of the majesty of the dinosaurs..but if it comes out it comes out, if it doesn't...well then i'm sad but at least I have my VHS version of the film.
  • edited April 2011
    I wish Spielberg would have commentaries on his films... I know that he wants his flicks to retain their artistic value and never does them... but come ON JP is a summer popcorn flick save that pretentiousness for Schindler's list and give us JP fans what we want. It KILLS me that I can not get some behind the scenes info while I watch his movies.
  • edited April 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    ^^ Yes, I agree. Spielberg only saw JP as a way of doing realistic dinosaurs, then lost interest. Supposedly, he was going to abandon the film outright and just make Schindler's List, but the then-President of Universal said something along the lines of "You can make Schindler's but first you have to make Jurassic Park for us".

And Spielberg has stated more than once the only reason he made TLW was as a "substitute" for a sequel that people had been asking for for years but he would never make as he didn't want to mar one of his "personal, important" films: ET 2.

With JP3, they just gave up and rushed a film into theaters without a script, and with JP4, they spend so much time trying to get the script right that the movie never made it to theaters...

So, uh...there it is. :(

Well, I think I can give some light on this stuff...

First, Spielberg actually left Jurassic Park. But he left it after filming was finished and handed post-production duties to George Lucas. Yes, it's true. You can even read on the credits.

Second, Spielberg only directed TLW to end a three-movie directorial deal with Universal. Joe Johnston really wanted to direct it originally, so then he got JPIII as a sort of compensation. Also, he handed most of the post-production to the writer of the film, David Koepp.

With JPIII, Spielberg himself originally made a storyline about a group of teenagers who were stranded on one of the islands and found Grant living there. It's true.

And with JPIV, I think it was Spielberg who suggested the "dinos with guns" plot. You can notice with this how little Spielberg actually cares for the franchise. He spent many years saying how they had a great plot that didn't involve an island, or something of that sort. They even hired John Sayles (Piranha) and William Monahan (The Departed) to write the script. I remember and interview with Monahan saying how the thing was just a big joke for him and that he wrote script as that: A joke.
    When they saw the negative reaction this plot had, they backed out and postponed the whole thing to development hell.
    Johnston said last year that he's hoping to do it after he's done with Captain America, and he also said that they have a great plot (he even said it's not the "dinos with guns" one) that doesn't focus on the islands. Who knows what that means...
  • edited April 2011
    ^^ Was aware of most of that, but hadn't heard David Koepp worked on Post for TLW; btw, Spielberg could have chosen any film to do as his third for Universal...I'll look for his "ET 2" quote.

You're right in that the fans' histrionics helped kill JP4, as they screeched about a script they hadn't even read....Spielberg, who has never been able to counter criticism, got scared and ran away. :p

I personally loved the story of JP4 as written by Sayles and Monahan, (yes, even the dino bio-weapons in a Swiss castle), but I think I'm the only one.

As far as I'm aware, the dinosaurs in JP4 never "had guns"...this was a sarcastic simplification of the script that the fans created as short-hand for how "bad" JP4 would undoubtedly be.

Also, I don't want JP4 on an island again, so I'm glad they were going in this direction.

I'm aware of the JP3 "Teenagers finding Grant living in a tree" plot as well...it was the original screenplay written by Craig Rosenberg, in late 1999/early 2000. He was a little-know writer with not much to his name other than something called "Hotel Love". Glad to see Johnston had enough on the ball to toss that idea right out the window! :p
  • edited April 2011
    I would hate for somebody to take Michael Crichton's masterpiece and crap on it just to say they had a fourth sequel. Honestly Di-hu-dogs? HONESTLY?! And what's this Grendell corporation, PUT IN BIOSYN! Dinosaurs attacking America just isn't great either. I'd like to see a JP movie where the park is in a major tourist city and it actually works! No going haywire, just dinosaurs and man living in Harmony. I think that would give us a chance to explore the Human's lives and see how they conquer other dino problems like disease and the like...
  • edited April 2011
    ^^ Except that's totally missing the point...Life cannot be controlled. Crichton's entire premise is that Man should not play God. Having a JP that works is what would crap all over the series, (not to mention, be boring as hell). Drama = Conflict, hello?...

And it's enough with the park idea, we've seen it three times. If you want a park, watch JP 1,2 and 3.

It makes sense that eventually someone would think to breed dinosaurs as bio-weapons and sell them on the black market. Every scientific innovation has been turned into a weapon, or vice versa. Someone invented the wheel, someone else stuck it on a chariot; Einstein split the atom, Oppenheimer invented the atom bomb; SUV's and the Internet were developed for military purposes, then later made available to the general public, and so on.

It makes sense that some weapons designer would look at the events on Islas Nublar and Sorna and San Diego and go, "Hm, every time Man and dinosaur encounter each other, it doesn't work out too well for Man".
  • edited April 2011
    Or maybe JP4 could be based off the TellTale game

tn-tumblr_l9qogwRLac1qzzud0.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    I could really fall in love with a story line.. where Grant is found living on the Island... he is one of the few characters that I could see going all Dian Fossey... Despite what he said about not wanting to be there, you know there was a part of him that REALLY loved seeing the animals live. I could see him getting completely disenchanted with having to deal with the politics and hassle of always trying to find grant money to fund his research and just giving up and trying to spend the rest of his days with dinosaurs.... It could totally work.
  • edited June 2011
    It seems this is going to be a GREAT fall for Jurassic Park fans ... if this is true!!!!
    Spanish web site ZonaDVD is reporting that Universal's Jurassic Park series of movies will be initially released to the international market as a trilogy pack in three different editions. Apart from the standard edition there would also be a Tin Case edition and a collector's box set which would include a T-Rex figure. ZonaDVD mentions a provisional release date of October 24th (a Monday) which would seem to indicate for example, the date of the UK release. For Spain in particular the web site has confirmation it will be available in time for the Christmas Season. The web site is showing what appear's to be a pre-production mock up of the Collector's box set with a folding three-disc case and a cut-out of the T-Rex figure. The placeholder cover for the trilogy itself seems to be taken from a custom cover made by dv8pdx, one of our members.

Further details will be posted when Universal confirms or releases any official information.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6573&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Let's hope this is true. Here you have a picture of the box with the T-Rex figure.

http://bjc.uol.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/jp_gift.jpg
  • edited June 2011
    It seems this is going to be a GREAT fall for Jurassic Park fans ... if this is true!!!!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6573&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Let's hope this is true. Here you have a picture of the box with the T-Rex figure.

O M G!!!
    I want it! I want it so much! When it will be possible to pre-order? ;)
  • edited June 2011

The T-Rex figure is badly photoshopped, and the case/discs are exactly the same as the trilogies Adventure Pack.
  • edited June 2011
    jpark_08 wrote: »
    The T-Rex figure is badly photoshopped, and the case/discs are exactly the same as the trilogies Adventure Pack.

If that picture is real or not, the release is on its way:
    Back in January, we posted word that Universal's marketing director in France revealed that the Jurassic Park films were likely to be released on Blu-ray in 2011. Universal here in the States wouldn't comment. But in recent days, we've been hearing reports from retailers, both here in the States and internationally, that they're now being planned for release in October. A 10/20 street date has even been reported. We've waited to comment on this here at The Digital Bits until we'd heard back from our studio sources at Universal. We can now inform you that Universal here in the States HAS confirmed to us that the Jurassic Park Trilogy is being prepared for Blu-ray Disc release, probably late this year, in time for the holidays. However, we're told that an announcement may be several weeks away, as the studio hasn't settled on a street date yet. Nevertheless, fans can rest easy knowing that the films are indeed coming.

http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
  • edited June 2011
    So only 3 discs, no extras? Perhaps they are saving that for the 2013 anniversary.
    I hope they have done a proper restoration transfer, cause the DVD transfers are pretty awful.
  • edited June 2011
    They're doing JAWS right now...so 2013 might actually be realistic. Next year would be the earliest it seems....unless(forget what France says) it managed to slip by everyone that Spielberg was working on it...while JAWS didn't.
  • edited June 2011
    More news about the blu-ray coming out later this year.

http://www.joblo.com/digital/index.php?id=9054

I know what I'll want Santa to bring ME this year :D
  • edited June 2011
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800202853/video/25761170 Trailer for the blue ray. Bring on October 25th!!!
  • edited June 2011
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800202853/video/25761170 Trailer for the blue ray. Bring on October 25th!!!
    SchottGun wrote: »
    More news about the blu-ray coming out later this year.

http://www.joblo.com/digital/index.php?id=9054

I know what I'll want Santa to bring ME this year :D

Thanks guys! That news is great and I cant wait to get the one with the T.Rex that comes with it. Plus it has an interview with Crichton, im starting up my BluRay already!
  • edited June 2011
    Now that i know there will be all new interviews this is a must buy for me. Although, it was a must buy to begin with but now I know I'm getting something awesome.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.