Heavy Rain inspired gameplay

124»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Rexuz wrote: »
    Was excited when I heard a new Jurassic Park game is about to be released. Then I realised it had a story for a 5 year old, graphics from a ps2 game in 2004 and a T-rex roar made by Chewbacca.

Ahwell, lets hope some bigger company get's the license in the future.

You don't know what the story's about. The graphics look pretty damn solid to me, solid enough that I sure wouldn't trust my laptop to run it.

As for the T-rex roar, I agree, but apparently TellTale has been informed and has stated that they'll address it in the final game.

@Lost Cipher No, they won't be doing any Star Wars games. LucasArts has suddenly become very stingy with their games and has cut all ties with any outside developers because the current LA president believes that all LA games need to be made in-house. Which is dumb because some of LA's biggest successes were co-produced: KOTOR, Battlefront, Rogue Squadron, The Force Unleashed. As for Jurassic Park paying tribute to the books, TellTale CAN'T do that. Why? The JP license that they've acquired came through Universal, not through Michael Crichton's estate. While sad, this means that TellTale is limited to only what is seen in the movies and whatever new things they can bring to the table. If they try to rip plot points out of Crichton's books, they risk his estate coming after them. And if you watch the gameplay videos, no the game doesn't end when you die. You start over at the beginning of that challenge. Frankly, I'm looking forward to seeing how creative they get with the character deaths. You know...without the game necessitating an M rating. lol
  • edited February 2011
    The number of people in this thread that think Heavy Rain had a "great" or even "good" story is baffling to me.

I could put forth various arguments, but decided instead to link this article: http://ps3.gamezone.com/editorials/item/jim_sterlings_terrible_bucket_list_heavy_rain/

If you've played Heavy Rain, and you read that article, and you don't at least agree with some of that negative criticism, you're clearly not open to reason.

That said, if Telltale do the Heavy Rain style 'right', then this game could be great. But I worry that the multiple paths will cause the games story to either be exceedingly generic to account for this, or make no real sense (characters referring to events that didn't happen; characters acting in ways that don't make sense to who they are; etc) like in Heavy Rain.

I'd like to add that I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and got all the endings. It was a fun experience and something truly different (apart from Indigo Prophecy) but despite all the fun and love I have for the game, I refuse to fool myself into thinking the story was good. It had a lot of problems, and even though I love the game, I can admit that.
  • edited February 2011
    I thought the story was good....

I mean, yes, there are plenty of plot holes and other weird stuff in there but that doens't stop it from being a good story. But what game/story/movie doesn't have plot holes or other things that seem implausible.

I read through it (well, I had to skip some at the top cause the Black Ops add keeps poping up) But from the rest of the article I can tell that he seemed to be very nit-picky. I mean, really nit-picky. I could nit-pick the hell out of any movie or game that anyone considers good or great and make an article just like that one.
  • edited February 2011
    @Shadowknight
    I do realize that you start back at the beginning of a challenge when you die. That is what I was trying to point out.

One of the saving graces of Heavy Rain, was the fact that the story did not end with the death of a character. In that respect, the game did a great job of reflecting reality.

So far it appears that the only thing they have taken from Heavy Rain is the so called real world simulated quick time events... not something I would be focusing on in terms of gameplay.

Though time will tell what other secrets lie within the game's story and potential gameplay.
  • edited February 2011
    I mean, yes, there are plenty of plot holes and other weird stuff in there but that doens't stop it from being a good story.

Actually it kind of does. A good story shouldn't have plotholes, and it should also have believable characters who don't act against their own motivations or machinations. Though I won't argue that Heavy Rain is a very engaging and exciting experience with tense and even occasional brilliant moments.
    But what game/story/movie doesn't have plot holes or other things that seem implausible.

There are plenty of movies/stories that don't have plot holes.
    But from the rest of the article I can tell that he seemed to be very nit-picky. I mean, really nit-picky. I could nit-pick the hell out of any movie or game that anyone considers good or great and make an article just like that one.

While some of it was perhaps kind of nitpicky, I think he made some really good points and did a good job about pointing out serious flaws in the games narrative. There are some other articles I have read on Heavy Rain which do this as well.

I would love for you to write an article just like that one. Without critisizing works how can we ever expect them to get better? I'd love for Heavy Rain '2' (Indigo Prophecy '3'?) to address and fix many of the issues and be a better game for it.

I hate how our culture has decided to take all criticism to be a negative or hateful thing. I think its one of the most important things in the world. I wish everyone was more critical and accepting of criticism. Just because you love something doesn't mean you shouldn't see its flaws. I will outright agree with people who make valid criticisms about things I love, but it seems so hard for everyone else to do.
  • edited February 2011
    Oh trust me, I see the flaws. I guess I just don't find them as big of a deal as others. Especially if they don't make the game/movie/story unenjoyable.
  • edited February 2011
    Whoa, he's playing it on XBOX!!!

We did not have any Xbox units at the event. What you're seeing is an Xbox controller being used as the input device for a PC.

We haven't announced any console platforms yet, but as I've said before, Telltale is always looking to hit as many platforms as possible and continuing to work with platform holders to make that possible.
  • edited February 2011
    We did not have any Xbox units at the event. What you're seeing is an Xbox controller being used as the input device for a PC.

We haven't announced any console platforms yet, but as I've said before, Telltale is always looking to hit as many platforms as possible and continuing to work with platform holders to make that possible.

Wait, Alan, could you tell me, if i plugged my xbox controller into my pc for this game, would i get the Xbox button prompts or still the ones for pc? If i get the xBox button prompts when using the controller with pc im buying it for PC, and any other consoles it comes out on (xBox 360, PS3, iTouch, iPhone, and iPad if you got em' all!)
  • edited February 2011

Crossing my fingers for a PS3 release here Alan. Otherwise, this is one JP game I'll have to pass on.
  • edited February 2011
    Taerdin wrote: »
    I hate how our culture has decided to take all criticism to be a negative or hateful thing. I think its one of the most important things in the world. I wish everyone was more critical and accepting of criticism. Just because you love something doesn't mean you shouldn't see its flaws. I will outright agree with people who make valid criticisms about things I love, but it seems so hard for everyone else to do.

You Taerdin, are a shaman.
    Everytime I write criticism I get jumped on by some loyalist, but what they don't seem to understand is that I'm not doing because I hate Telltale or the idea of a Jurassic Park game. I just want it to be good, and I want it to do justice to the movie, not just be a game that has the Jurassic Park logo on it. I want it to be awesome, and I know it can be. I only ever criticize because it just doesn't look like its there yet.
  • edited February 2011
    Some people don't give me that impression, they just seem to cry over split milk...if you love something you accept it's well enough with its flaws so why whine about them? Bringing them up is one thing, but when you show case that something is flawed and present it in a certain way it's very common and highly possible that you come off as a bit of a whiner. That's people in general...

Some times it's just not very good conversation on one end. It's all about balance, or atleast some sort of tasteless tact from people with different insights and opinions to agree on certain issues at certain times.

Some times it's just bad mood lighting for some one to complain about the features of a game that some other game is inspired on. No one in this world is a true perfectionist. If you for one moment think that Heavy Rain wasn't at all fault inspired, inspired from other games, then you're dreaming. Some people act as if faults that are present must ultimately be pointed out, when in fact, it's just a base, a new starting point, a fresh perspective.

It's not like game developers aren't paid professionals, they aren't retarded their at the same level as you if not above you, when the finished product hits shelves, they review it their selves and make more games...

Most paid professionals improve their trade. Where as criticisms are fine, I don't think they got their degrees from a cereal box...

Some people just seem to be the bad morning breakfast ceral flavor here...
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    Wait, Alan, could you tell me, if i plugged my xbox controller into my pc for this game, would i get the Xbox button prompts or still the ones for pc? If i get the xBox button prompts when using the controller with pc im buying it for PC, and any other consoles it comes out on (xBox 360, PS3, iTouch, iPhone, and iPad if you got em' all!)

Pretty much every PC game now-a-days automatically detects an Xbox controller and uses the right button prompts and configurations. Bioshock 2 got a lot of flack for not doing so, which tells you how rare it is.

A lot of PC gamers like to pretend "we don't need no stinkin' controllers!" or whatever but the truth is controllers have been a part of PC gaming since the beginning. I have an Xbox controller for games like Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed and couldn't imagine not doing so.

That said Telltale games, even the newer ones, play much better with a mouse if you ask me.
  • edited February 2011
    In many games, YES. Especially games sort of like this one, historically anyways. Remember Rebel Assualt II? The mouse was great for star battles and lazer gun fights...BUT you'd use the keyboard for other missions if you had any sense, or a joystick.
  • edited February 2011
    Just to be clear I wasn't trying to say anything about the quality of Jurassic Park, that would be stupid of me.

I was merely commenting that while Heavy Rain is an engaging experience I found it's story to be underwhelming at best. Especially when coupled with the fact that the games multiple paths create plotholes.

I can easily see how a game which plays similar to Heavy Rain could be amazing, and I really hope to see a game do that format more justice in the future.
  • edited February 2011
    Welcome to the forums.

I guess it's really all about the angle you're looking at things from.

I wouldn't call you stupid, I have a hard time doing that to some one. Though, I might consider some people judgemental and closed minded when they act in a certain way. On the flip side where's the real standard, when they could feel I am being the same way or worse if not just a little more innocent?

I try not to have just one angle, but I'm likely to have just one or a few. I'm just not aware of it likely.
  • edited February 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    It's not like game developers aren't paid professionals, they aren't retarded their at the same level as you if not above you, when the finished product hits shelves, they review it their selves and make more games...

*coughs*SONIC TEAM*coughs*

In general, I agree. For example, I love Final Fantasy XIII. No one else that I know does, but I do see what they feel are flaws. Some of them I very much agree with, some I agree to at a lesser degree, and some I don't agree at all. In the end, video games are made, people play them, some love certain games, some hate them. It's individual tastes.
  • edited February 2011
    Pretty much every PC game now-a-days automatically detects an Xbox controller and uses the right button prompts and configurations. Bioshock 2 got a lot of flack for not doing so, which tells you how rare it is.

A lot of PC gamers like to pretend "we don't need no stinkin' controllers!" or whatever but the truth is controllers have been a part of PC gaming since the beginning. I have an Xbox controller for games like Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed and couldn't imagine not doing so.

That said Telltale games, even the newer ones, play much better with a mouse if you ask me.

Good to know, that means i'll also be getting it for the Pc no matter what along with ANY consoles!
  • edited February 2011
    Well I don't have a wired xbox controller to use, but I have my ps3 controller. I guess that would suffice.
  • edited February 2011
    Btw here is a way how to enjoy Heavy Rain.
  • edited February 2011
    I wanted them to put that in the game. I thought it would have been cool that once you beat the game and got all the endings you could watch it like a movie.
  • edited February 2011
    It's interesting to see Telltale to branch out in this manner. At least they are changing up their formula
  • PoFPoF
    edited March 2011
    I'm so, so, so, so, sooooooo disappointed it will be a QTE based gameplay...

I so wanted to discover Nublar by myself, walking slowly, turning back every 5 seconds...

I could cry of frustration.

And worst thing is I'm loving JP so much that I'll still buy the TT game... Raaaah...
  • edited March 2011
    I'm currently playing "Heavy Rain", and it's the most intense game I've played in ages, so I'm really looking forward to another game with a similar control system.
  • edited March 2011
    Hey Telltale,

You know what made Heavy Rain awesome?

It WASN'T the Quicktime event gameplay.

It was the extreme amount of choice and freedom that you had as a player to influence the outcome of the story. It was the multiple paths and endings, and actions with real consequences. And player deaths that didn't result in an automatic restart.

Please don't just take the surface appearance of Heavy Rain's interface and apply it to a shallow, unrewarding, perfectly linear "experience" that takes away any sense of challenge or consequence to the player's actions.

Thanks,

--A fan of adventure games. Emphasis on "adventure" and "game."
  • edited March 2011
    As long as it has an awesome story and loveable characters then I'm sure it'll be good. Being linear isn't always a bad thing. I don't hear people complaining about Dead Space being linear.
  • edited March 2011
    As long as it has an awesome story and loveable characters then I'm sure it'll be good. Being linear isn't always a bad thing. I don't hear people complaining about Dead Space being linear.

Why not just rent a movie?

Dead Space is a COMPLETELY different type of game. First of all, you can actually move around and explore Dead Space's environments, and the action and atmosphere is tense and gripping.

I'm just wondering what experience I can get from this game that I can't get from pausing and unpausing the Jurassic Park movie.
  • edited March 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »

Dead Space is a COMPLETELY different type of game. First of all, you can actually move around and explore Dead Space's environments, and the action and atmosphere is tense and gripping.

I'm just wondering what experience I can get from this game that I can't get from pausing and unpausing the Jurassic Park movie.

Well, its the challenge of having to push buttons to NOT pause the game :)!

One funny thing I thought of is that death is actually rewarded!
    You actually want to die to see important content of the game. That sounds scary...

Imagine Dead Space with big death animations, and instead fleeing from the monsters you let them kill you to see them. And after a few times you try to beat the game only to progress cause you grew tired of em and repeat that in the next stage.
  • edited March 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »

Because I don't want to rent a movie. I want to play Jurassic Park!

First off, we haven't even played the game yet so we can't give an accurate description of if the game is tense and gripping or not. As for the two being completely diffrent. i doubt it. In the end every game is the same. Get from point A to point B with out failing. In the end, its about how well the game makes the journey between A and B.

You also have to keep in mind that this is an adventure game. And if you look at all the major advernture games there was no direct walking control involved. It was always point where you wanted to go. This game is taking what adventure games have been doing all along but giving it a new look.

And your wondering what experience you can get from this game that you can't get from pausing and unpausing the Jurassic Park movie? I can't answer that for you. For me, I want the game for two reason. One: It's a Jurassic Park game. Two: It's a side story that has never been told before. That's good enough for me.
  • edited March 2011
    Heavy Rain is actually my #1 favorite PS3 game, so I'm all for JP using some of it's style.
  • edited March 2011
    http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1375&news=telltale+games+jurassic+park+pax+east+2011
    Herman also mentioned that the game will scale its difficulty according to how well you’re playing, which seems like a smart way to ensure that game still has challenging elements. If you keep missing those quicktime commands, it’ll let up on you, but keep nailing them and you could be in for a rough ride.

Interesting. So they're trying to incorporate something akin to the Left 4 Dead director AI to adapt the QTE difficulty to the player's skill level. I wonder how exactly that'll work?

Unfortunately, from the rest of the article, it sounds like they're not doing anything similar for the puzzle-solving aspects. If the puzzles are too easy, then too damn bad. At least the QTEs might be kind of tricky. :/
  • edited March 2011
    I'm not interested in how easy or hard the QTEs or puzzles are, I never search for a challenge when playing games. I'm only interested in how well the certain feelings the games want to cause are delivered using everything that the medium can offer! Therefore a tense game shouldnt be too easy, but being stuck and kept from progressing is bad too, so dynamic difficulty is a good idea!
  • edited March 2011
    I just had a look at the giantbomb video and from this one it seemed to be pretty clear what this production will be about and what not. If you think about it, it's almost fascinating how fast TT went from adventure games to Dragon's Lair, obviously without Dragon's Lair's perfect style&look and convincing animations but at least gameplay wise. Anyway i guess if you have some popcorn around, expect nothing beyond a teenager niveau interactive movie and are into sometimes weird animations, then this will be quite enjoyable. I also found it helpful to see what kind of people are behind this production and what they care about and enjoy. This way it's easy to give up on this one as well.
  • edited March 2011
    I never played Heavy Rain....BUT I did see gameplay. I thought "This could be a movie. It's very intriguing." If JP is anything like that it MUST succeed.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm interested to see telltale try something different. Nothing against the regular games they does, but they do start to seem formulaic after a while. I hope they pull it off just to show that they are capable of more than most gamers give them credit for.
  • edited March 2011
    I am only interested in this game because they mentioned Heavy Rain inspired gameplay. I played a lot of Adventure games and was happy that Telltale got the Jurassic Park and Back to the Future licenses, because I consider them as good developers, but wasn't hooked after all.

It's nice to see them trying something different and refreshing. Heavy Rain was a great experience, even though it has many shortcomings.
  • edited March 2011
    THIS was the last adventure game with dinosaurs I played (a long time ago).
    Anybody knows that?
    After seeing this, who is annoyed by the TTG approach any longer?
  • edited March 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    THIS was the last adventure game with dinosaurs I played (a long time ago).
    Anybody knows that?
    After seeing this, who is annoyed by the TTG approach any longer?

I just love the dinosaur sounds.................................no,no I'm just kidding I really didn't like them. ESPECIALLY the Gallimimuses.
  • edited March 2011
    If theirs puzzles it better not be some little of a small 2 in branch in the road. Or a wire touching something and having to run around for 8 miles to get across. The QTE's look fun but as long as every action scene isn't QTE theirs some free play in them ill be filled with joy. What I'm happy for the game is the last 3D JP game I believe was trespasser. So seeing these renewed graphics makes me excited.
  • edited March 2011
    The Jurassic Park game Telltale is creating looks interesting, but with recent videos released it appears more Heavy Rain and less Jurassic Park. I don't want to be killed by a Velociraptor because I failed to hit A or X fast enough. I want to be killed because I ran out of shotgun ammo...

Well, go and purchase an FPS. Go to the arcade, and play the ancient Lost World rail shooter. Seriously. How many raptors were bred and put on the island? Exactly. Like seven. It would be TOTALLY out of place to run around the island popping off dinosaurs. The survivors wanted to SURVIVE, and GTFO. Not run and gun.

Give me story. Give me unseen locales from the movies. I will pay and pre-order this game for my friends and family.. not joking.
  • edited March 2011
    because i don't want to rent a movie. I want to play jurassic park!

First off, we haven't even played the game yet so we can't give an accurate description of if the game is tense and gripping or not. As for the two being completely diffrent. I doubt it. In the end every game is the same. Get from point a to point b with out failing. In the end, its about how well the game makes the journey between a and b.

You also have to keep in mind that this is an adventure game. And if you look at all the major advernture games there was no direct walking control involved. It was always point where you wanted to go. This game is taking what adventure games have been doing all along but giving it a new look.

And your wondering what experience you can get from this game that you can't get from pausing and unpausing the jurassic park movie? I can't answer that for you. For me, i want the game for two reason. One: It's a jurassic park game. Two: It's a side story that has never been told before. That's good enough for me.

amen!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.