Heavy Rain inspired gameplay

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Whoa, he's playing it on XBOX!!!

"Telltale is busy working on getting the game on as many platforms as possible and here's hoping that Microsoft allows them to sell it on Xbox Live Arcade soon."

They all seem to be enjoying it. That's a good sign :)
    I can't wait to see these death scenes. lol
  • edited February 2011
    Sounds like QTE to me.

http://www.destructoid.com/jurassic-park-is-like-heavy-rain-but-with-dinosaurs-194459.phtml
    Everything I've just described all requires correct button presses as they pop up on the screen to complete. Tapping the buttons, rotating the joystick -- all the usual stuff you see in QTE sequences are present. Messing up the QTE moments will result in some pretty damn brutal deaths.

Yup.
    While getting killed doesn't have a serious consequence (you're put right back into sequence)

So it's like Heavy Rain in that it has QTE's, not so much in that deaths have story consequences.
  • edited February 2011
    I expected as much. It would have been cool to have branching storylines but I'm happy with what we're getting.
  • edited February 2011
    The demo has the wrong roar too
  • edited February 2011
    So, how will the QTEs work for keyboard and mouse?
  • edited February 2011
    LOL I just finished watching that one myself. I can't wait to see the deaths involving Raptors and Dilos (if they're in the game)

The mentioned in some of the articles that the woman is dealing with some type of posion. I know in the movie but the only posioness dino was Dilo. But in the book the compys had a posion bite as well. Maybe the new dinos are simular to the compys if they're not compys themselves.
  • edited February 2011
    My fears have been materialized... :(
  • edited February 2011
    I loved Heavy Rain. It has no replay value whatsoever but I loved it the first time.

Give it a chance.
  • edited February 2011
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Give it a chance.

Seriously, even P&C would have been better than QTEs for everything. A Jurassic Park game demands a little freedom of exploration. The fact that you don't control your character is a big letdown.
  • edited February 2011
    Alexrd wrote: »
    Seriously, even P&C would have been better than QTEs for everything.

Who said it would be QTEs for everything? Action sequences, I can buy that. Exploration, I wouldn't think they'd use it for that.
  • edited February 2011
    Who said it would be QTEs for everything?

The gameplay video.
  • edited February 2011
    I just don't understand it. Telltale has done what no other video game company has done before and they DID stop to think if they should.

What we're getting is a story driven Jurassic Park game. We'll have a story that is parallel to the orginal film (The Best One). We get to see diffrent parts of Isla Nublar. We get to interact with the enviroment, solve puzzles, we encounter awesome dinosaurs, the dinosaurs have the same look as in the first film, we're getting awesome death scenes, we're getting dark enviroments, the game has impressive graphics (Compared to BTTF), it's not cartoonie, it has a serious tone, we're even getting a new dinosaur that wasn't in the movies so we have a mysterious element to the game.

And you shoot down all the awesomeness just because the gameplay is built around QTE's? I really hate when games get shot down just because they're not FPS or sandbox. It's totally ridiculous.
  • edited February 2011
    And you shoot down all the awesomeness just because the gameplay is built around QTE's? I really hate when games get shot down just because they're not FPS or sandbox. It's totally ridiculous.

Who wants it to be an FPS or sandbox game? We just want it to be an adventure game, not a movie with QTEs in it.

The gameplay video on Giantbomb confirmed my fears. "We have removed the tedious aspect of walking around"... really? You guys sat in a room and said "what I really hate about video games is exploring the environment and having control over my character." I mean... I don't get it.
  • edited February 2011
    Watching the Demo on Giant Bomb, how you're moving around scenes reminds me of Killer 7 somehow.
  • edited February 2011
    And you shoot down all the awesomeness just because the gameplay is built around QTE's?

Maybe because the gameplay is one of the most important parts of a game?
    I really hate when games get shot down just because they're not FPS or sandbox. It's totally ridiculous.

Do you think I expected a game from Telltale to be a FPS or Sandbox?
    Who wants it to be an FPS or sandbox game? We just want it to be an adventure game, not a movie with QTEs in it.

The gameplay video on Giantbomb confirmed my fears. "We have removed the tedious aspect of walking around"... really? You guys sat in a room and said "what I really hate about video games is exploring the environment and having control over my character." I mean... I don't get it.

This.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't have a problem, with Heavy rain, but if there is no character movement..and or Charachter movement then it sounds like a little more than a interactive movie.
  • edited February 2011
    Saw the gameplay trailer, must say that the graphics dont look that bad, not too much details but the dinos and environment does look good, sure it will look even better with Full-HD-Resolution. Only the animations definetly need more work and there shouldnt be small loading-pauses after a QTE succeded, I would also skip that green hook and give some less obvious feedback when pressed the buttons correctly.

About the actual gameplay, I dont know, maybe it works, I do understand though that this way it really can be directed like the first movie. Also like the kinda 90ish design I think I recognized in the logo and graphic design. I must say I dont think that the inability to control the character is a good idea, kinda takes a bit of the immersion, hopefully this only is for the puzzle and action-sequences, while the exploration scenes are direct controlled
  • edited February 2011
    Also just seen the gameplay trailer. I felt Heavy Rain worked because of the sense of fear you felt during QT events knowing (or concerned) that your failure to perform them correctly could impact the way your story progresses. Along with a solid story, it kept me on the edge of my seat. This looks like it'll be more fun to fail QT events than actually try and progress in the story, if the story turns out to be completely linear. Looks pretty boring to play
  • edited February 2011
    tmsmyth4 wrote: »
    Also just seen the gameplay trailer. I felt Heavy Rain worked because of the sense of fear you felt during QT events knowing (or concerned) that your failure to perform them correctly could impact the way your story progresses. Along with a solid story, it kept me on the edge of my seat. This looks like it'll be more fun to fail QT events than actually try and progress in the story, if the story turns out to be completely linear. Looks pretty boring to play

Yeah I thought that too, while in Heavy Rain a failure in the QTEs either influences the story or doesnt cause a Game Over instantly but gives you another chances, here it seems like just Trial an Error till you get it right, and failure is pretty much rewarded than punished. Maybe this was just a tutorial stage and they will top that by doing more varied and complex QTEs like in heavy Rain
  • edited February 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    Maybe this was just a tutorial stage and they will top that by doing more varied and complex QTEs like in heavy Rain
    Being multiplatform its unlikely, but Id hope they would take advantage of the specific hardware ie. sixaxis controller, move, kinect etc. I dont own either move or kinect so I'm not bothered on a personal level I think motion control would be a way of making this kind of gameplay more fun (considering the casual audience JP appeals to). I felt the sixaxis controller worked well with heavy rain and I hope the more complex QTE's arent just gonna be like playing guitar hero on a controller (not that ive done that)
  • edited February 2011
    I have to say that it looks interesting, and I'm definitely going to look for the many ways to die...assuming that this comes to a console. Which it sounds like they're definitely trying to push that, and considering the success of BttF's PS3 port, I think JP will be heading in that direction too. I hope.
  • edited February 2011

Because when you think about it, directly controling you character in an adventure game is not needed. Think back to games like "The Dig" You didn't actually control the character itself. You clicked an area of the screen you wanted to inspect and the character walked that way.

This is the same thing Jurassic Park is doing. You pick an area you want to inspect and the character heads that way automaticly. In a way, Jurassic Park is closer to the advernture game roots than Back to the Future is.
  • edited February 2011
    Because when you think about it, directly controling you character in an adventure game is not needed. Think back to games like "The Dig" You didn't actually control the character itself. You clicked an area of the screen you wanted to inspect and the character walked that way.

This is the same thing Jurassic Park is doing. You pick an area you want to inspect and the character heads that way automaticly. In a way, Jurassic Park is closer to the advernture game roots than Back to the Future is.

But I want to have telltales Jurassic Park-Game closer to Jurassic Park-games than Adventure games! We're not in the 80s anymore, I dont think its a plus when we say "Hey, its like a text-adventure with QTEs and graphics".

I actually really want to know if the whole game plays like that, if we really cannot move the character even in the exploration sequences. I wanna walk around in the visitors center, I dont wanna click around like in Myst. I dont mind if this gameplay is for certain scenes or even for the half of the game, but you can move your character in Heavy Rain too. I mean the whole game just consisting of pictures and cut-scenes?
  • edited February 2011
    I will pick up the first episode at least, considering my self as a fan of the Jurassic Park franchise. However their have only been two titles associated with the franchise I have ever enjoyed. And both titles have been forgotten or missed by most of the gaming community.

The first was Jurassic Park Sega CD. It was a point and click adventure that combined a 12 hour time limit with non-lethal combat to create something unique. Though most players died before the time ran out, or simply gave up on the game due to its unflinching difficulty. It did however emphasize what someone would associate with the Jurassic Park franchise; exploration and survival!

The second game has a unique stigma attached to it, many consider it the worst game ever made. Of course I am talking about Trespasser, which coincidentally in my opinion is the best Jurassic Park game ever made. Yes it was buggy as hell, and was the Crysis of the 90's. It still is however wholly unique in the fact that it was the first physics based gaming simulation and it did give the player a sense of exploration and survival.

It did completely fall short of its lofty ambitions, but the title tried many things no one else would at the time. And too this day I eagerly await a sequel, though I know it will most likely never arrive.

The Jurassic Park game Telltale is creating looks interesting, but with recent videos released it appears more Heavy Rain and less Jurassic Park. I don't want to be killed by a Velociraptor because I failed to hit A or X fast enough. I want to be killed because I ran out of shotgun ammo...
  • edited February 2011
    And both titles have been forgotten or missed by most of the gaming community.

I believe Trespasser has a considerable community.
    It still is however wholly unique in the fact that it was the first physics based gaming simulation and it did give the player a sense of exploration and survival.

That's what this Heavy Rain-based gameplay cannot bring and seems a necessity on a game from this franchise. I never expected a PFS from Telltale, and it's not what this game needs. A bit of freedom for the character to roam around would be very welcome, but it's impossible with this kind of gameplay.
  • edited February 2011
    The Jurassic Park game Telltale is creating looks interesting, but with recent videos released it appears more Heavy Rain and less Jurassic Park. I don't want to be killed by a Velociraptor because I failed to hit A or X fast enough. I want to be killed because I ran out of shotgun ammo...

That's not really keeping true to the spirit of the franchise. There isn't a single dinosaur killed by a shotgun in any of the three films. The only person I remember even carrying one was Muldoon and, well, he clearly failed to hit X fast enough. Clever girl!
  • edited February 2011

Dr. Grant, Lex and Tim survived the majority of the film without guns. Why should Dr. Harding, a veterinarian who clearly admires these animals, wield a shotgun?
  • edited February 2011
    So, after watching that trailer, it also sounds like the VOICES are Heavy Rain inspired...
  • edited February 2011
    I completely get the desire to run around Jurassic Park and kill stuff, it sounds fun, albeit completely contradictory to the license and style of the films. But...

I mean the action in the movies is entirely based around quick thinking, reacting to the environment, running away, and often just hiding. "Trespasser", even with its technical faults, is an amazing game for JP fans that want the opportunity to roam Site B and shoot to survive with only a few rounds of ammo. It really is time for something new and different.

Woodsyblue wrote: »
    The only person I remember even carrying one was Muldoon and, well, he clearly failed to hit X fast enough. Clever girl!

Haha :)
  • edited February 2011
    @Alexrd

I do realize that Trespasser has a budding community, mostly amongst the fans at TresCom. But it's nothing that would send a corporate game studio in over drive to appease millions of fans by creating a full fledged sequel.

@Woodsyblue, paulmmcain, and Captain Jack

Yes I do realize that the franchise is not built around blasting dinosaurs. However if you did read the books, they did blast a few more. It's just so far from what we have seen is a game that's "Hit a button to move to another screen, and oh when shit happens press A and maybe B whilst holding LB"

I want a game like S.T.A.L.K.E.R without the zombies and shit, but a good storyline and survival action where the player has to flee to survive... But can turn and make a stand on a few occasions!

How hard is it to make a Jurassic Park action game? Is not Dinosaurs, Survival Action, and 3d graphics an ultimate win?

Mind you, I am a fan of Telltale's work. Especially the Sam and Max series. I just do not think their type of gameplay is for the best.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't think the world needs another generic Jurassic Park action game. You sound like you want something very specific, and that something isn't what Telltale are making, and I don't think they will ever make a game like that. The licence is based off the movies, not the books, and in the movies they rarely ever resort to killing dinosaurs (and the little girl using gymnastics to kill a raptor in TLW was so awful it should probably be removed from canon!)

Disliking QTE's is fine, there are heaps of people here who do, but I don't think Jurassic Park: The Game should be shot down because it isn't S.T.A.L.K.E.R with dinosaurs. It was never going to be that game.

I'm personally quite excited about the direction it is taking, though I won't know if the QTE system works until I've played it.
  • edited February 2011
    @Woodsyblue

I respect your opinion, and I am not shooting down the game. Its just hard to envision a Jurassic Park game with such a linear path so heavily invested in QTE's. And unlike Heavy Rain, it seems that Telltale's Jurassic Park game ends when your characters die.

I am sure the game will be good if not great, Telltale is a fine studio. It's just they seem to be approaching it like all the others. Why can't they step outside the box, and try making a survival action game with a deep story. Ever play In Cold Blood? Their was an excellent adventure game with a bit of action.

Maybe we will get that with The Walking Dead, I don't know. But I think Telltale is selling themselves a little short. I just don't want reviewers and gamers to compare it too Heavy Rain, I want them to say "Now that was a fine damn Jurassic Park game!".

It should be unique and original, whilst paying respect to the whole franchise; Books and Movies. Also I do realize it's a little late to fundamentally change the style of gameplay.
  • edited February 2011
    That's a very good point, the format for JP is a big risk. To be honest the QTE's look more like Resident Evil 4 & 5 than Heavy Rain. I'm not against QTE's but you can't make a whole game out of them, it'll be the rest of the stuff that will dictate if it is a good game or not (or even a game at all). None of us will really know if the game works until we play it.

I think you'll find if nothing else JP will have a good story and interesting characters.

I too am hoping they'll do The Walking Dead differently than JP, and more into something like you are saying. Action isn't the core of what TWD is about so neither should it be in the game.
  • edited February 2011
    @Woodsyblue

I agree, and your right... if anything it will have a good story. But it will definitely be interesting to see what Telltale comes up with in these new titles.

Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Walking Dead, what's next Star Wars?

And hell for all we know, if Jurassic Park gets a second season their could be more action based gameplay. Or hell maybe even season one will have some via different characters...
  • edited February 2011

Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Walking Dead, what's next Star Wars?

They were interested in Scott Pilgrim too, but were turned down according to O'Malley.

http://twitter.com/radiomaru/status/38766072299520000#
  • edited February 2011

There's a big difference between telling your character where to go by clicking on a specific spot and telling your character where to go by changing which screen you are looking at. To me there is anyway. One feels much more like exploring than the other.

And character movement aside the gameplay still looks terrible to me, just one long quick-time event. Maybe I will change my mind when I see a real puzzle, but given the mainstream focus of both Back to the Future and Jurassic Park I somewhat doubt the puzzles will be interesting.
  • edited February 2011
    Was excited when I heard a new Jurassic Park game is about to be released. Then I realised it had a story for a 5 year old, graphics from a ps2 game in 2004 and a T-rex roar made by Chewbacca.

Ahwell, lets hope some bigger company get's the license in the future.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.