The Original 15 Nublar Embryos

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
When Nedry stole all 15 embryos which dinosaurs were they? I'm curious, When did the park brochure that included dinosaurs such as Baryonyx, Segisaurus, and Herrerasaurus appear on screen in the original movie? Because if it wasn't shown at all then wouldn't that bring into question the original 15 embryos? Help me out people what were they? And provide evidence if you can.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    When Nedry stole all 15 embryos which dinosaurs were they? I'm curious, When did the park brochure that included dinosaurs such as Baryonyx, Segisaurus, and Herrerasaurus appear on screen in the original movie? Because if it wasn't shown at all then wouldn't that bring into question the original 15 embryos? Help me out people what were they? And provide evidence if you can.

I'm not too sure on the list of the original 15 embryos (aside from the obvious ones of species seen in the movie), however I do know that they did make some spelling errors in a couple of the names.

As for the Brocures, you can see them in the main road scene when Grant is looking for something to distract the Rex from attacking the car Tim and Lex are in
  • edited April 2011
    I'm not too sure on the list of the original 15 embryos (aside from the obvious ones of species seen in the movie), however I do know that they did make some spelling errors in a couple of the names.

Well here's all I have so far.
    (Embryos that Nedry took seen on screen)
    1. Proceratosaurus
    2. Gallimimus
    3. TyranNosaurus Rex
    4. Velociraptor
    5. StegOsaurus
    6. Metriacanthosaurus
    7. Triceratops
    (Dinosaurs seen in Park)
    8. Dilophosaurus
    9. Brachiosaurus
    10. Parasaurolophus
    (Dinosaurs seen on Brochure)
    11. Baryonyx
    12. Herrerasaurus
    13. Segisaurus
    (Dinosaurs introduced in canonical video games)
    14. Troodon

So basically for Tell-Tale to stay true to the movies they must use this list of dinosaurs plus one other dinosaur for the whole list to remain true to the Jurassic Park Lore. :cool:
  • edited April 2011
    Well here's all I have so far.
    (Embryos that Nedry took seen on screen)
    1. Proceratosaurus
    2. Gallimimus
    3. TyranNosaurus Rex
    4. Velociraptor
    5. StegOsaurus
    6. Metriacanthosaurus
    7. Triceratops
    (Dinosaurs seen in Park)
    8. Dilophosaurus
    9. Brachiosaurus
    10. Parasaurolophus
    (Dinosaurs seen on Brochure)
    11. Baryonyx
    12. Herrerasaurus
    13. Segisaurus
    (Dinosaurs introduced in canonical video games)
    14. Troodon

So basically for Tell-Tale to stay true to the movies they must use this list of dinosaurs plus one other dinosaur for the whole list to remain true to the Jurassic Park Lore. :cool:

So excluding the Troodon, which is an unknown species on the island (hopefully it's creation is explained, as it is a little hard to believe that someone would miss a creature like that being cloned) that leaves us with two other species to work with, since we're not going off of the novel.
  • edited April 2011
    So excluding the Troodon, which is an unknown species on the island (hopefully it's creation is explained, as it is a little hard to believe that someone would miss a creature like that being cloned) that leaves us with two other species to work with, since we're not going off of the novel.

Fair enough. I do hope that they explain Troodon, maybe it's Biosyn's secret weapon lol :rolleyes: but personally I think that Pteranodon is the next best bet. Considering that they are mentioned in the Original movie.. but only for a split second on the advertisement from Hammond while they are all eating lunch and only by an obscure reference of "majestic winged dinosaurs".
  • edited April 2011
    Was there an aviary in the movie cannon? If so, Pteranodon.
  • edited April 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »

I don't think there was one in the movie. In the novel, yes. In the film, I don't think so.
  • edited April 2011
    Here is the list of dinosaurs found on Isla Nublar on according to JPLegacy: http://www.jplegacy.org/index2.php?load=encyc/slnublar.shtml
  • edited April 2011
    I don't think there was one in the movie. In the novel, yes. In the film, I don't think so.

On Sorna, not on Nublar.
  • edited April 2011
    Here is the list of dinosaurs found on Isla Nublar on according to JPLegacy: http://www.jplegacy.org/index2.php?load=encyc/slnublar.shtml

Well that's probably going to change soon.
  • edited April 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »

The aviary is mentioned (and shown during the slideshow) during the lunch debate scene, though it is not certain if any pteranodons were actually on Nublar yet at that point.

It is also argued by some that baryonyx may actually have been spinosaurus, misidentified.
  • edited April 2011

But they were planning on having winged dinosaurs along with the jungle river cruise in the movie. It's up there with Future Attractions while they're having lunch you gotta look for it though you have a picture of the river cruise ride and then a building that looks somewhat like an aviary and the voice in the background talking about winged dinosaurs. Pteranodons might be in that Embryo Freezer that Nedry raided.
  • edited April 2011
    But they were planning on having winged dinosaurs along with the jungle river cruise in the movie. It's up there with Future Attractions while they're having lunch you gotta look for it though you have a picture of the river cruise ride and then a building that looks somewhat like an aviary and the voice in the background talking about winged dinosaurs. Pteranodons might be in that Embryo Freezer that Nedry raided.

That is possible, however we'll never know for sure unless we see visual evidence.
  • edited April 2011

So Troodon just appeared? I thought it was intentionally made to be exhibited in the park. What's the big secret? it's just another dinosaur.
  • edited April 2011
    So Troodon just appeared? I thought it was intentionally made to be exhibited in the park. What's the big secret? it's just another dinosaur.

If we consider JP:The Game to be canon, then troodon should replace either pteranodon or compsognathus as one of the 15 species, since neither of these have visual confirmation as being on Isla Nublar and their inclusion on the list is speculative.

(Or, go with the theory that segisaurus was a mislabled compsognathus, which would combine those two into one and open up the 15th slot for troodon.)
  • edited April 2011

We don't know much about it other than it's the 'new threat' that the player will have to face in the game. The developers have been very stingy with the information regarding it. Hopefully an explanation will come soon, either via the development team, a trailer, or the game itself
  • edited April 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Well that's probably going to change soon.
    Why would it change? :/
  • edited April 2011
    Why would it change? :/

Probably since Troodon is now somewhat going to be considered canon. It only makes sense to change the list by adding Troodon to it
  • edited April 2011
    Here's my two cents into this debate as I have already said "numerous" times even several years back. The whole "fifteen species" condition, is already final, fixed, and Troodon can "not" be one of those fifteen as far as I am concerned. The only "two" species of those fifteen that is even remotely debatable is "Pteranodon" and "Compsognathus". For starters, how could Pteranodon not be one of the fifteen species? Simply because for that matter, in the novel the Pteratops Lodge was a "major" unique attraction that I find hard to believe was not planned to exist in the JP movie universe. Personally, I'm basically playing the "use common sense" card on these two species on the grounds of what is "most" strongly implied and makes sense. I know its not enough to convince other people, but that's my position on the matter and I'm sticking to it. As for Compsognathus, for anyone who has been to the JP Ride in Hollywood, pay close attention to the video presentation that you watch while you're waiting in line. It's been a long time since I've been when the ride was brand new, "but" one of the big, unique little bits of commentary that the video presentation went into that caught my attention, was of the "vital" importance that Compies serve in the park; i.e. as the dung beetles of the dinosaur world. Apparently according to the lore of JP, Compies were discovered to have a natural tendency for eating the droppings of the other dinosaurs and thus helping to manage the cleanliness of the dinosaur paddocks. Sounds critically important to me.

As for this Troodon business, I was first very opposed to the matter. But after some other random discussions on the message boards about this subject, I'm warming up to the idea a bit more. But I think TT is setting themselves up to have to cleverly explain a very difficult matter that would otherwise break movie canon. So in short, the story behind Troodon better be good. One thing is for sure in my opinion, however, is that Troodon can not be one of the "tour" dinosaurs.
  • edited April 2011
    If we consider JP:The Game to be canon, then troodon should replace either pteranodon or compsognathus as one of the 15 species, since neither of these have visual confirmation as being on Isla Nublar and their inclusion on the list is speculative.

(Or, go with the theory that segisaurus was a mislabled compsognathus, which would combine those two into one and open up the 15th slot for troodon.)

That wouldn't make any sense to do that. Segisaurus was at least shown as an exhibit in the movie while Compsognathus wasn't mentioned at all. If you're going to include Compy then you should replace it with Troodon if it does turn out to be InGen's creation. Similar Venom, pack hunting, carnivorous, ambush predators, makes pretty good sense for Troodon to be Nublar's equivalent of the Compy.
  • edited April 2011
    I have a hunch that Troodon may not be on InGen's list, much like the Spino. Maybe they were experimenting with them elsewhere, like in the other Lab shown in this picture http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/JurassicPark/JurassicParkMedia/JP_Screenshot_labExterior.jpg (check the file name)
  • edited April 2011
    jmine83 wrote: »
    Apparently according to the lore of JP, Compies were discovered to have a natural tendency for eating the droppings of the other dinosaurs and thus helping to manage the cleanliness of the dinosaur paddocks. Sounds critically important to me.

Yes this was present in the novel as well. That presents a problem, but then again, jurassic park is notorious for underplanning aren't they.
  • edited April 2011
    http://www.jplegacy.org/index2.php?load=encyc/dinoprof.shtml

Is JPLegacy a reliable site according to most of the jp community? Because if so it does back up the Nublar Pteranodon/Aviary theory to some extent. Any way this is a more or less complete list of the dinosaurs on both islands.
  • edited April 2011
    http://www.jplegacy.org/index2.php?load=encyc/dinoprof.shtml

Is JPLegacy a reliable site according to most of the jp community? Because if so it does back up the Nublar Pteranodon/Aviary theory to some extent. Any way this is a more or less complete list of the dinosaurs on both islands.

JPLegacy is a very reliable site. It's the main fan created site for anything and everything Jurassic Park. The staff does a fantastic job ensuring that everything is accurate to the best of their knowledge.
  • edited April 2011
    We know the game is following the rules established by the movie. We also know that the game will be considered canon, so the list really cannot be changed. I believe that Pteranodon was at least intended to be on Nublar, based on the "coming attractions" slide show, but it may not have been there yet, or perhaps the plan was shut down.

As for Troodon, my best guess is that it stowed away from Site B on a ship running between Sorna and Nublar.
  • edited April 2011
    trocks wrote: »
    We know the game is following the rules established by the movie. We also know that the game will be considered canon, so the list really cannot be changed.

What do you mean by that? I mean the list isn't being changed it's being filled in. If we haven't seen living viable proof of 15 dinosaurs than whoever's in charge of expanding the universe would be at liberty to fill in the remaining mystery dinosaurs.
  • edited April 2011
    What do you mean by that? I mean the list isn't being changed it's being filled in. If we haven't seen living viable proof of 15 dinosaurs than whoever's in charge of expanding the universe would be at liberty to fill in the remaining mystery dinosaurs.

I absolutely agree with you. I know we are not talking about removing anything. I'm just saying that the existing list was established and nothing SHOULD be removed, BUT it would be great to see it filled in or expanded. I've seen comments in the past where people have suggested using something from the book instead, but we have to remember this is strictly movie canon.
  • edited April 2011
    As for the Brocures, you can see them in the main road scene when Grant is looking for something to distract the Rex from attacking the car Tim and Lex are in

I never noticed that in the movie.:)

http://www.jplegacy.org/encyc/maps/jptourmap.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    I never noticed that in the movie.:)

All the basic information you will need for your visit to Jurassic Park!

http://www.jplegacy.org/downloads/misc/jppropbrochure.pdf
  • edited April 2011
    trocks wrote: »
    All the basic information you will need for your visit to Jurassic Park!

http://www.jplegacy.org/downloads/misc/jppropbrochure.pdf

Wow, thank you! TellTale HAS to see that!
  • edited April 2011

Now who to say the Troodons a new species? They simply said one not scene before... and the majority of the dinosaurs on the species list are unseen.
  • edited April 2011
    Now who to say the Troodons a new species? They simply said one not scene before... and the majority of the dinosaurs on the species list are unseen.

Exactly. That's why we can't count them out of the list just yet until it's been been CONFIRMED that they are an unnatural occurrence on the island.
  • edited April 2011
    Exactly. That's why we can't count them out of the list just yet until it's been been CONFIRMED that they are an unnatural occurrence on the island.

My theory is this... the troodons are a known species to InGen, and have been eating toxic plant's throughout the environment (may not be so IDK if they're omnivourous) and like the poisen dart frog (amphibian DNA) have developed a venom from the plants.

NOTE: Poisen Dart Frogs are harmless if denied the plant they eat that makes them toxic.
  • edited April 2011
    jmine83 wrote: »
    As for Compsognathus, for anyone who has been to the JP Ride in Hollywood, pay close attention to the video presentation that you watch while you're waiting in line. It's been a long time since I've been when the ride was brand new, "but" one of the big, unique little bits of commentary that the video presentation went into that caught my attention, was of the "vital" importance that Compies serve in the park; i.e. as the dung beetles of the dinosaur world. Apparently according to the lore of JP, Compies were discovered to have a natural tendency for eating the droppings of the other dinosaurs and thus helping to manage the cleanliness of the dinosaur paddocks. Sounds critically important to me.

Well, since we are going off movie canon, Compsognathus had no mention of having that role in the park whatsoever in the films. In fact, this "privelege" if you want to call it that went to Procompsognathus in the novels and is a totally different species and more closely related to Segisaurus than any other dinosaur in this series including Compsognathus. So for integrity's sake, I think that Segisaurus should replace any speculative views of having Compys on Nublar. Segisaurus might have even replaced the Procomp's role of eating the sauropod waste in the films. Thereby saving room for Troodon to be entered on the list if necessary.
  • edited October 2011
    Original 15?:
    1.Tyrannosaurus*
    2. Velociraptor*
    3. Dilophosaurus*
    4. Brachiosaurus
    5. Parasaurolophus*
    6. Triceratops*
    7. Gallimimus
    8. Stegosaurus
    9. Metriacanthosaurus
    10. Proceratosaurus
    11. Herrerasaurus*
    12. Segisaurus
    13. Baryonyx
    14. Compsognathus*
    15. Mosasaurus*/Pteranodon*

Secret Dino: Troodon*, Mosasaurus*/Pteranodon?*

*= Confirmed as being in JP the game

I'm guessing either Mosasaurus or Pteranodon are not included in the original 15 just like Troodon.
  • edited October 2011
    up until now, only thirteen genera have ever been confirmed to be on isla nublar on film, either through being seen on screen, on the embryo tubes, or on the park map in the brochure. the sequels, however, added several more genera, both through direct and indirect evidence.

it recently occurred to me, and correct me if i'm wrong, that the only mention of there being only fifteen species on the island (in the film, anyway) came from dodgson in his conversation with nedry in san jose. that being said, i would suspect, being from biosyn, that dodgson may have had limited knowledge of what ingen was working on, because it's quite obvious that they had upward of twenty species between what was seen on nublar, what was seen on sorna, and what was indirectly referenced on screen. this may be another loophole that both the filmmakers and telltale could exploit to increase the number of genera without contradiction. nedry, as a known mole and the developer of the park's systems, would at least be familiar with the animals in the park, but may have known about others. of course, dodgson may have had other moles, but, either way, between nedry and whoever else may have been feeding biosyn info, the combined list had been maxed out at fifteen by the time nedry stole the embryos. that being said, nedry may have encountered embryos in cold storage that neither he nor anyone else in contact with biosyn may have known about prior to the theft. just some food for thought...
  • edited October 2011
    where is Baryonyx? :(
  • edited October 2011
    One thing that bugs me, both in that brochure and the one TellTale is doing...the brochure either has the car track going the wrong way, or they have the Dilophosaur enclosure on the wrong side of the road. In the movie, Richard Kiley says, "If you look on your right, you'll see one of the first dinosaurs on our tour, called Dilophosaurus." Going by that map, the Dilophosaurs would've been on the LEFT.
  • edited November 2011
    @hiplobonoxa: So I don't remember but is it stated that there are only 15 species on the first island? Maybe when Dodgson told Nedry to get all 15, he meant the max amount of slots the Barbasol can could carry. If so, could there be more embryos in storage somewhere else?
  • edited November 2011
    @hiplobonoxa: So I don't remember but is it stated that there are only 15 species on the first island? Maybe when Dodgson told Nedry to get all 15, he meant the max amount of slots the Barbasol can could carry. If so, could there be more embryos in storage somewhere else?
    It's possible. In the video about the troodon quarantine pens it mentions that all of the troodon embryos were stored elsewhere to remove them from the current stock since they felt that the troodon's were not a favorable species to feature at the park.
  • edited November 2011
    Actually I was thinking that if Telltale wanted to, they could have more dinos that aren't mentioned elsewhere as non-public dinos. Maybe they wouldn't be officially introduced/updated into park advertising until a while after the park opens. This could include dinos like Mosasaur.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.