Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Guys, as I understand, we finished only 4 episodes. When will be next episodes, and will they be?
  • edited November 2011
    this one in the movie whom i named pac-man has eaten the following in just 2 days:
    1-! full sized goat minus a leg
    2-The blood sucking lawyer sitting on the toilet
    3-One Galimimus(i may have spelled that wrong but its the fast dinosaur)
    4-Indicated by the videogame and the broken off triceratops horn its possible he ate the triceratops
    5-He ate 2 full sized raptors in the visitors center both of which are pretty big
    6-He Ate several more raptors in the videogame
    7-he ate the army dude at the end of the videogame

1: The goat is rather small. We don't know what the Rex ate before the goat, and how much time passed between feedings.
    2: Muldoon and Sattler both identify remains in the outhouse debris as being Gennaro's. From the way the T-Rex picked him up and shook him, we can assume she only ate his upper body.
    3: The gallimimus is a larger dinosaur, agreed. But this is taking place the following day, late in the morning or early afternoon.
    4: I don't think we have enough proof to assume she ate (part of) the Triceratops. It could well be the Triceratops survived the fight.
    5: We see the Rex kill the Raptors, but not eat either. It could be she went for a snack after that final roar, but in the comic book (based on the script), the Rex follows the car and is seen roaring as the helicopter departs. I know that's not enough proof, but I believe she might have attacked the Raptors because they were a potential competitor when it came to the food sources available, and not directly as prey animals.

In the game she does seem pretty hungry. But it appears the Rex was a messy eater (leaving Gennaro's body parts) and might not have devoured entire prey animals. (Minus the goat.)
  • edited November 2011
    kind of made a mistake here lol she not he

With the frog Dna some of the dinosaurs turned male,no way to know for sure on that rex unless someone was willing to get up close and check under the hood.
  • edited November 2011
    Neelis wrote: »
    1: The goat is rather small. We don't know what the Rex ate before the goat, and how much time passed between feedings.
    2: Muldoon and Sattler both identify remains in the outhouse debris as being Gennaro's. From the way the T-Rex picked him up and shook him, we can assume she only ate his upper body.
    3: The gallimimus is a larger dinosaur, agreed. But this is taking place the following day, late in the morning or early afternoon.
    4: I don't think we have enough proof to assume she ate (part of) the Triceratops. It could well be the Triceratops survived the fight.
    5: We see the Rex kill the Raptors, but not eat either. It could be she went for a snack after that final roar, but in the comic book (based on the script), the Rex follows the car and is seen roaring as the helicopter departs. I know that's not enough proof, but I believe she might have attacked the Raptors because they were a potential competitor when it came to the food sources available, and not directly as prey animals.

In the game she does seem pretty hungry. But it appears the Rex was a messy eater (leaving Gennaro's body parts) and might not have devoured entire prey animals. (Minus the goat.)

That would indeed explain why it was not able to fit everything in its stomach it ate,thats a very well pointed obeservation that seems odd
  • edited November 2011
    I was ok with this game as soon as it seemed it would quite happily let the kid get eaten too
  • edited November 2011
    Great game,just finished all 4 episodes,and only thing that came in mind during the game,was that even the game was waaay better than the third movie,.
    wish this game was written itnto a JP movie,.
  • edited November 2011
    The game was indeed fun, and has some replay value. But I was expecting more for the money, 4 episodes which can be beaten easily with button mashing and a quick story? There should have been more things to do, especially free roam mode. I would love to have Free Roam Jurassic Park for each episode, see every little detail.
  • edited November 2011
    The game was indeed fun, and has some replay value. But I was expecting more for the money, 4 episodes which can be beaten easily with button mashing and a quick story? There should have been more things to do, especially free roam mode. I would love to have Free Roam Jurassic Park for each episode, see every little detail.

I agree we should have been able to free roam the island in some way,even if it was only on a map and cameras and such
  • edited November 2011
    This was my first time playing this type of game (I usually play shooters), and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad that TellTale appreciated that JP's story is worth investing in and moving forward to interesting new places (way ahead of JP3 in that regard). I hope JPTG is successful enough for a sequel, because I'd really like to see some actors from the films brought in to play their characters. Great experience, thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    I was very much impressed by the deluxe edition. It is nice have proper 'feelies' again :)

The game; interesting attempt but primary focus/SKU/platform was not mine; the PC. This is an iOS title and designed for multitouch input. Working with an Xbox360 controller on a PC makes it bearable but do you see the problem in the sentence? I must confess I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas with it too since their SKU was obviously the Xbox360. But I digress.

I can imagine this game flowing with multi-touch, but playing with keyboard/mouse or Xbox360 controller makes it a challenge. And that is not good when actions are time based; it can frustrate a player like me.

I like the cinematic feel but the facial animation is sub-par and that detracts. Half Life 2 still holds the candle in that department (and through that sip sync). On very high, the PS/VS 3 shaders, the game renders the scenes nicely. Lighting could be better though, more volumetric (shadow volumes, god rays). The implementation of depth of field (DX9 and 2D composited) wreaks havoc on 3D Vision by NVIDIA. A DX10/DX11 renderpath would avoid this and allow for tesselation of the pretty awesome dinosaur models. Hardware like amBX would also nicely fit into your engine. Playing this with my 3D Vision amBX enabled rig would be more than awesome :)

As for the story, it's okay but somehow I expected the voice acting to be better. Although this is my first game I hold TellTale high in the voice acting department especially since BTTF.

I retrospect I would pay up to $20 dollar, not the current $29,95.

TLDR; iOS users will be happy, other platform users not so much.
  • edited November 2011
    I actually agree with most of the stuff, good and bad, that is said in the Gamespot review, and you don't hear me say that very often.
  • edited November 2011
    I can't bear to read through how many people are having the same frustrations as I am, how unready this game seems to have been released. I am so frustrated playing hours of extra scenes over I don't think it's even worth it. This is bad enough to be called "unplayable."

I've played a ton of games on this good-excellent gaming PC, I have a top-level geek to be sure my drivers are up to date etc, and it's obvious my settings are way below what this system and game deserves.

I never had a serious problem with a TT game -- I've played all three Sam & Max seasons, all of BTTF and loved them all -- and I'm wondering, should we expect a patch soon?

I bought this through Steam and don't know if they or TT gives refunds for such a problematic game (Steam should be able to tell how long it's taken me to get halfway through the second episode, and make it so I can't play after a refund, no? Just an idea.)

If this was a $5 game I wouldn't care but this is a few meals (or a bunch of $5 games) for me and believe me I wish I didn't feel this way -- I was SO looking forward to this game -- but I feel ripped off. Was this game even tested on a few good gaming PCs?
  • edited November 2011
    I really like the game and it isn't without charm, but I have problems with it...
    First of all, There are ALOT of bugs throughout the game Ex; Disappearing models and characters, Button promts not appearing, some options not working and a couple others.

Also, why could'nt there be a bit of a free roam feeling like in Back to the future? it makes it feel more like a game rather than just an interactive movie.

Once again it has many redeemable features, but could use some updates and improved controls

Maybe a JP The Game Season 2? :D

Sincearly, JasonDrew (PS3)
  • edited November 2011
    Anathaen wrote: »
    Ex; Disappearing models and characters, Button promts not appearing, some options not working and a couple others

I thought I should balance out my earlier rant.
    Also add on that I played the Monkey Island games too, so I guess I've done most of the major TT games. Loved them all.

I wasn't specific, but I am having those same kind of obvious bugs. And the green/red signals don't match up with the result of my actions, if that makes sense. I remember one scene in BTTF that I had to restart, and occasional moments of lag, but nothing like this.

As I've spent more time just trying to get through scenes, I've hardly evaluated the game itself. It's like trying to watch a movie on an old TV and I'm so busy adjusting an antenna that I can't get immersed in the movie. But I'll try:

Pros:
    - The graphics, when initially turned up, were beautiful!
    - The characters are mostly interesting, sometimes also annoying, but the 40+ deaths so far made up for that (too bad I've killed mostly the less annoying people.)
    - The scenes that work are exciting!!! I only saw the first movie but it reminded me of it in that way -- heart-pounding.

Cons (based on everything except the bugs):
    - As many have pointed out, it's like watching a movie but having to press buttons to help things move along. I don't feel like I'm actually doing anything to effect the outcome. I know that's ultimately true of most adventure games, but at least they make it possible to pretend. There is no guessing what to do -- just pressing buttons in time (hah!)
    - I too would have like to explore the jungle.
    - This is vague, and neither good nor bad I guess, but it's...just different than I expected. Okay, I am disappointed. I wanted more of what I'm used to from TT. But if it worked better I would have been satisfied regardless.

Thanks for listening to my feedback, assuming someone does. I'd really like to know if I should wait for a patch to play the rest because the replay value seems really low. I'm sorry -- I'd love to be cheering for this one. :(
  • edited November 2011
    Well only finished up to the end of episode 3 now, and I am loving every second of this entire interactive movie that TT has so lovingly carved from what seemed to be the fossils of the Jurassic Park series. (JP3 almost sealed that deal...)

This game has so many lag issues, pointer missing issues, and absolutely random bugs, but its still fun.

For those of you that want to see a fun bug, go back to episode 1 where the vet and his daughter are hiding behind the car from the Rex. Choose the option to do nothing to get them killed by having the car roll on its side. When the game reloads that scene, the car is still on its side, but choosing the option to make the car move lets it drive along on its side. No wonder the Rex gets Attention Deficit Disorder!

But other than that, all I can say is that JP:TG is what fans have been waiting for. It continues the story beautifully (even though there are a few inconsistencies), but it is worth it through and through
  • edited November 2011
    If Jurassic Park: The Game ever gets a patch, add free roam mode. Please. I don't care if it's a floating camera, I wanna see the car's, dinosaurs just nesting, Sorkin getting killed again. All that good stuff.
  • edited November 2011
    I knew this game would suck but not this bad. Just got done with the Trex, Trike battle in the first episode and Jessie wasn't even there. At first I thought I was controlling the Rex but then I realized that this game was so buggy she just visually vanished from the screen. Game has frozen a few times now, so bad that I had to force shut down my PC. I got on lower settings then when I play Crysis on my PC. Buggiest game of the year. I would not even call this a real video game. I would be very embarrassed if I helped make this game. Can you imagine talking with developers and one guy is like I worked on Skyrim, the other guy is like I worked on Batman, and the other is like I was part of MW3. Then a guy from Telltale says I worked on Jurassic Park....hahahaha, rotflmao !!!!!!
  • edited November 2011
    usnusa2003 wrote: »
    I knew this game would suck but not this bad. Just got done with the Trex, Trike battle in the first episode and Jessie wasn't even there. At first I thought I was controlling the Rex but then I realized that this game was so buggy she just visually vanished from the screen. Game has frozen a few times now, so bad that I had to force shut down my PC. I got on lower settings then when I play Crysis on my PC. Buggiest game of the year. I would not even call this a real video game. I would be very embarrassed if I helped make this game. Can you imagine talking with developers and one guy is like I worked on Skyrim, the other guy is like I worked on Batman, and the other is like I was part of MW3. Then a guy from Telltale says I worked on Jurassic Park....hahahaha, rotflmao !!!!!!

Uhh I don't get your post at all. This is a bug on YOUR end, I never had this.
  • edited November 2011
    Bugs shouldn't be in a review if it's not universal, AKA everyone suffered it.
  • edited November 2011
    About the worst game I've ever played.

Story is terrible.

Does Juraasic Park a major disservice, not the other way around.

Gameplay is beyond abysmal.

About the only good thing that can said is that the dinosaurs look and behave very cool. Very believable.

Beyond that, the game is garbage and waste of a title.

Here's hoping for a real first person Jurassic Park game, from a real game maker.

Or operation genesis 2.
  • edited November 2011

That's funny, I just googled jurassic park game review bugs and found some very prominent ones that discuss them (and reflect them in the ratings.) I don't know if I can post them but they can be found. This excerpt is from a major reviewer:

"Playing with a gamepad is an option, and it is an upgrade, but a handful of bugs also burrowed their way into the code, with random crashes and a disappearing controller arrow (tough to click on things without it) at the top of the list. Combined, the control issues and bugs make Jurassic Park a game that flip flops between exhilaration and frustration, immersion and aggravation.

While I've yet to sample Jurassic Park on the iPad, I've got a feeling touchscreen controls will go a long way in alleviating the issues I encountered on PC. Jurassic Park just feels like an iOS title, and it suffers on the PC because of it."

If I ordered a meal in a restaurant and it was burned, should I not report it even though someone else's wasn't? Check out a restaurant review thread and you will find experiences as varied as these. The thread calls for reviews and impressions. Many of us have the same impression as many professional reviewers -- that this game is badly in need of a patch.
  • edited November 2011
    The non-universal experience that comes up at the top of the search:

"The final nail in the coffin is the intense amount of bugs and glitches present; in the PS3 version we reviewed the glitches got worse as we progressed through the episodes. It started out with a small bit of slowdown between scenes and some speech stuttering/repeating lines of dialogue, but then it slipped into textures meshing together and QTE prompts not appearing on the screen. The most annoying of all occurred in episode 4 where the game slowed down as a QTE appeared and so we were continually killed, until we reset the PS3 and loaded up the save just before. Now this problem can easily be solved by a patch, but it should have really been ironed out before its release."
  • edited November 2011
    I'm halfway through episode 2, and just wanted share some thoughts while they were still fresh.

I don't know what happened here. Maybe this game was designed for a different audience, but I don't know who that is. Maybe I was expecting too much. But as someone who happily owns every single Telltale game to date, has enthusiastically Telltale as my favorite game company at the moment, and has enjoyed each and every game so far, while being able to criticize specific design decisions... this game seems to have just fallen apart.

I'm trying not to be completely super-critical of everything in the game, and give a fair review to the parts that might just not be my cup of tea, but the fact of the matter is, while playing, I feel empty. I'm waiting for save points so I can quit to find something else to do, whereas with every other Telltale game I only quit because I had other things to do. So as something to do, I decided to run through the different parts of the game and put together my impressions:

Story: Usually one of the highlights of a Telltale game. Here, it's... okay. There will be some really good parts, but then what feels like 10 minutes that make me wish there were a skip button. (My heart sank when I realized that pressing escape or space brought me back -- with a 5-6 second delay -- to the main menu, and that returning to the game would just put me back to where I was trying to skip or, worse, start it over.) Most of the characters seem interesting enough, but often seem shoehorned into a situation to give the illusion of gameplay. Which brings us to...

Gameplay: Virtually non-existent. The amount of times I'll be watching cutscene after cutscene thinking, "So when do I get to play?" is seriously disheartening. I honestly don't understand the design process that led to this style. I can see some benefit to it, but it feels like this game was designed as a film and then had a game attached as an afterthought. Which, coming from a company that has made me put every one of their previous games in my Favorite Games list is just inexplicable. The action scenes suffer from frustrating controls (more on that next), and the exploration scenes feel like I'm clicking things to move the story along without knowing why. For example: I just finished the "puzzle" to restore power to the helicopter. I look at the screen, and there's three icons on the power blocks. I pick one up and put it in the chopper. Nothing happens. At this point, I don't even know anything's wrong, because the problem hasn't even been established yet. So I think, okay, maybe I should put all three in. I try to put the second one in, and it tells me I can't because the first one is in. Okay, so I remove the first, put the second in, and now the chopper runs. Here, I should feel accomplished, but I don't even know why I did what I did, so the story just continues. In effect, it seems like the puzzles are placed as annoying breaks in the story, not gameplay. Because the rest of the game feels just like a movie with a game tacked on, the emotion I feel at solving the puzzle is the same as when I have a smudge on a DVD, take it out, wipe it off, and then put it back in the DVD player to get it to keep playing properly. Yay.)

Controls: A category by itself here because the design makes it such an integral part of the game. I'm playing on a Mac (which means no controller for me). I can see how it might work better on a console or iPad, but for me, it just alternates between dull and frustrating. When the arrows come up, there's very little indication of what kind of response it's going to require, which may be an intentional difficulty. But the timing is such that there doesn't seem to be any skill involved in playing. It's just memorize the sequence ahead of time, or fail. Which means, play the same sequence over and over and over again. Is the next one going to be double-down? Or is it going to be down-right? Or down-down-right?

Difficulty: The only true game difficulty I've identified is in getting the gold medal, which just involves memorizing the control sequence and getting it right. I must have played the last scene in the first episode for 45 minutes trying to get the gold medal, expecting that there would have been some reward. If there was, I didn't see any. For the rest of the game (if I keep playing) I'm going to just play through as it comes, and then see if anything changes if I can get the gold. But I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to do that. (Seriously, is there a reward? I'm curious. I expect it translates to an XBox achievement or something, but does it do anything on PC/Mac?)

Presentation: Graphics are good, no complaints. Acting is decent enough, in that when it's not great it's not terribly jarring. However, things like the acting, pacing and other cinematic qualities become much more important when the game is, like this, heavily cinematic-oriented. Which means that when it isn't great, it is much more noticeable; I'm just willing to overlook it because what I'm looking for is a game.

Overall, this is the first Telltale game that I don't think I'm going to be recommending to others. It's the first one that I'm not even sure I'm going to finish, myself, but I'm going to be giving it a shot because the company has earned that much from me over the years. It's just utterly underwhelming, disappointing and makes me hope that the team at least recognizes the problems and has already started to apply what they've learned to the next game, because I'll certainly be playing it, whichever it may be. And it's also entirely possible that the further I get, the less my complaints are valid. We'll see.

Grade: Meh. D- for the bits of game that are actually in it, C+ for the non-game parts. Unfortunately, since it's sold as a game and can only be experienced as a game, the overall product (as of the middle of Episode 2) gets the D-. And that's really painful to write.
  • edited November 2011
    JEisen wrote: »
    I'm halfway through episode 2, and just wanted share some thoughts while they were still fresh.

Story: Usually one of the highlights of a Telltale game. Here, it's... okay. There will be some really good parts, but then what feels like 10 minutes that make me wish there were a skip button. (My heart sank when I realized that pressing escape or space brought me back -- with a 5-6 second delay -- to the main menu, and that returning to the game would just put me back to where I was trying to skip or, worse, start it over.) Most of the characters seem interesting enough, but often seem shoehorned into a situation to give the illusion of gameplay.

Personally, I felt the story really picked up in the last two episodes but if you're not enjoying the gameplay than that probably doesn't mean much.
  • edited November 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Personally, I felt the story really picked up in the last two episodes but if you're not enjoying the gameplay than that probably doesn't mean much.

That's encouraging. If the story picks up, then it might offset the gameplay quirks, but it's really going to depend on how much more I can give it.

I should also point out that I just picked up Heavy Rain on sale today after reading so many great reviews of it, and people saying that this game is influenced by it. Once I get a chance to play that, I'll probably have a better idea of whether I just don't like the style, or if something really did happen with the gameplay design here.
  • edited November 2011
    Alright, since the thread's still on the same page, I figured I'd post a full post-mortem.

- As Woodsyblue noted, the story really did pick up in the last two episodes, pretty dramatically. Moreso, the game seemed to either strike more of a balance between cutscenes and actual gameplay, or the better story just distracted me from the lack of gameplay more. Either way, the overall entertainment was a lot better in the second half, going from "My god, why am I still playing this?" to "Cool, that was a nice way to spend a few hours."

- Once I stopped caring about the Gold/Silver/Bronze stuff, the game seemed a lot less mind-bogglingly frustrating. Is there any benefit to getting the gold?

- From an overall game design perspective, I'm still not on board with the control scheme. I think I didn't have as much of a problem with the QTE as much as the way it was actually integrated into gameplay. I'm a heavy rhythm game player, and usually have an advantage with games that require a quick response to things appearing on screen, but here, it didn't seem to work. My biggest suggestion would probably be to have some clue of what the next command in a sequence will be -- by the time I hit Up and the icon for Right appears, it feels like a lot of the time I don't actually have enough time to see it before I fail.

- Similarly, the way these cues are displayed means I'm concentrating on very specific parts of the screen ALL THE TIME, which means I'm not actually able to enjoy any of what's going on otherwise. It feels like when I watch a movie in subtitles, and I spend 90% of the time reading, and don't actually see what's going on. I think that's why I felt so lost much of the time. And it's a shame, because it looked like what was happening was pretty interesting.

- There were still puzzles that made no logical sense even after I solved them. Did anyone intuitively get the 3-speaker puzzle? I kind of just clicked around until it worked. I feel like previous Telltale games solved this by having the hint system naturally flow into the dialog of the game. That's always been a strong part of the games for me. It means I don't have to feel like I'm cheating by looking up answers, but also that I'm not just banging my head against a nonsensical puzzle for days.

- No way to skip dialog or cutscenes. Really? Probably one of the most frustrating parts of the game, by far.

- My roommate (an even bigger fan of the movies, and who knows the soundtrack by heart) watched me play for a while, and commented that while the music was generally good, it was used completely inappropriately. There's a scene in the first or second episode on the helicopter where people are just sitting around talking, and all you hear are the triumphant chords of the main theme that should be coming in on, say, a grand shot of the island as a whole. It's little things like that which really took me out of the game.

- Switching between characters in the middle of a scene, even choosing the dialog for both, made me feel like I was writing a script instead of experiencing it. The argument in the tunnels about the lycocene, for instance, made my brain all confused. The tender conversation about the Nima's life on the surface, on the other hand, completely brought me back into the story. More like those, please.

- Overall, I think the biggest problem for me was the feeling of immersion. There were too many little things that made me drop out of the game completely, which makes the experience as a whole suffer. The main difference between the first two and second two episodes, I suspect, is that the immersion factor tightened considerably.

- That T.Rex sure is hungry.

- If there are more games in this style that are more like episodes 3-4, and making improvements on the things I've pointed out, then I think I'd very much like to play those. I'm not going to say that 3-4 saved the game -- I still think it was very heavily flawed -- but it brings up my original grade from a D- to a C. I would now be willing to recommend the game with the caveat that you need to play a seriously flawed half to get the payoff of the second half.

(Telltale, I still love you! It just hurts me so when I compare this against the amazing body of work you've produced so far.)
  • edited November 2011
    I finally finished Jurassic Park and couldn't be happier. No, not happier with the game itself. Not by a long shot.

I really, really wanted to like this game. Like, counting the days till its release. I've almost always been thrilled with Telltale games and their last movie adaptation, BttF, while slightly flawed, was completely delightful, and great care was done to honor the movie series.

JP, To put it simply, had an inexcusable number and severity of glaring flaws. The graphics seemed very unoptimized and had to be turned way down even on my Intel Core i7 laptop with Radeon 5730 series video card. The timing of the popups was frequently off. I would hit the button but it wouldn't be counted by the game. There were also various glitches where characters or buttons simply vanished, dialog played from several characters at the same time, puzzles (usually my favorite part of a game) were ridiculously easy or tedious and pointless. As pointed out above, the music was random so it would be gentle when the action was dramatic or vice versa. Lack of attention to detail left scuba tanks unattached to regulators, etc. Characters were largely stereotypical and often annoying, the gameplay was extremely repetitive and unimaginative, and the game lacked the soul that the movies had. I really expected more from Telltale -- makers of some of my very favorite games. The icing on the cake was reading about how Telltale employees gave high marks for the game on several prominent review sites.

I sincerely hope that movie studios think twice about ruining a good concept like Jurassic Park with such a poorly done video game like this one.
  • edited November 2011
    pmzanetti wrote: »
    About the worst game I've ever played.

Story is terrible.

Does Juraasic Park a major disservice, not the other way around.

Gameplay is beyond abysmal.

About the only good thing that can said is that the dinosaurs look and behave very cool. Very believable.

Beyond that, the game is garbage and waste of a title.

Here's hoping for a real first person Jurassic Park game, from a real game maker.

Or operation genesis 2.

Jurassic Park Modern Warfare from Activision and Sledgehammer games.

Be glad it isn't that.
  • edited November 2011
    mrskittens wrote: »
    That's funny, I just googled jurassic park game review bugs and found some very prominent ones that discuss them (and reflect them in the ratings.) I don't know if I can post them but they can be found. This excerpt is from a major reviewer:

"Playing with a gamepad is an option, and it is an upgrade, but a handful of bugs also burrowed their way into the code, with random crashes and a disappearing controller arrow (tough to click on things without it) at the top of the list. Combined, the control issues and bugs make Jurassic Park a game that flip flops between exhilaration and frustration, immersion and aggravation.

While I've yet to sample Jurassic Park on the iPad, I've got a feeling touchscreen controls will go a long way in alleviating the issues I encountered on PC. Jurassic Park just feels like an iOS title, and it suffers on the PC because of it."

If I ordered a meal in a restaurant and it was burned, should I not report it even though someone else's wasn't? Check out a restaurant review thread and you will find experiences as varied as these. The thread calls for reviews and impressions. Many of us have the same impression as many professional reviewers -- that this game is badly in need of a patch.

Because food = games.

Game bugs are never bothered with if not happening to almost everyone. This happens with Valve aswell. I reported a bug in TF2, and they didn't reply to it. Telltale however, actually does reply quickly. Or on the same day.
  • edited November 2011
    Unfortunately button magic game isn't really worth the price that is asked for this game. There is some good storytelling here, but ultimately it isn't delivering a game that modern audience expects.

People would love if there had been true plot choices, and good different outcomes that build up over the episodes. For instance game demands you to keep characters alive to continue EXCEPT when it decides character X needs to die and player can't do anything about it. It tries to make you invest emotionally to keep characters alive, but then few moments later just ignores players entirely.

In short I think in the end TellTale forgot they were making a game rather than a movie. People love great stories, but you need to tell them in terms that work as a gaming experience not just look cinematic.
  • edited November 2011
    Because food = games.

Game bugs are never bothered with if not happening to almost everyone. This happens with Valve aswell. I reported a bug in TF2, and they didn't reply to it. Telltale however, actually does reply quickly. Or on the same day.

1. Food = games :confused:

2. Game bugs are often patched, universal or not. More often, though, games are released with far fewer bugs than this one.

3. Some companies reply, some don't. I have yet to see a statement from Telltale addressing the bugs cited in the multitude of reviews, professional and casual, saying they are working on a patch. If I'm wrong I'd be happy to know about it, although it would take an entire reworking to make me want to replay this piece of garbage. And because I'm just posting my impression here as the thread says, and rather strongly, I don't expect my bug report to be personally addressed. I did not bother (perhaps I will) with a "Dear Telltale Games, I am a longtime fan etc etc" letter listing the bugs that made it virtually unplayable, and I don't know if they'd write back. But given the reviews, on commercial reviewing sites as well as impressions here, TTG would be smart to unveil a "major reworking" of the game" to get the customers who won't touch it with the current ratings (until the price drops to $5) and even add in some bonus "park exploration scene" or something to acknowledge with the rest of the gaming world that their fine line of products is way too good for this game. Not only for their long-time fans (myself included -- they were my favorite developer!) but so those not in their more traditional fanbase would take it seriously. I'm sure TTG would love to have reached the first person point-and-shoot gamers but they are laughing their butts off at the controls on this t-rex egg-size bomb they laid. A patch, at the very least, would be simple PR, smart business, etc.

Anyone seen the sales figures on this game?
  • edited November 2011
    I got it (ps3 version) on last week, and i had finished it once.
    No doubt it is a great game for a JP fans like me.

But there got 1 issue that made me disappointed is the Frame Rate problem...got any solution to fix this problem on PS3 version? I really hope to enjoy this game smoothly without lagging frame rate because it is very annoying.

Thanks.
  • edited November 2011
    That is a stupid point. So if I bought a $50,000 BMW and my car had a brake problem I should not inculde that in my review even if the other cars do not have it ? Sorry buddy, that is a horrible point you make...
  • edited November 2011
    Jurassic Park Modern Warfare from Activision and Sledgehammer games.

Be glad it isn't that.
    I would be glad if it was. At least Activision makes quality games. I about lost it when I saw Dinos with glow in the dark eyes....now it's just getting stupid..For the people who really hate this game, we will have the last laugh. This game will be forgotten in a month, probably not even hit 100,000 in sales while MW3 will be at 10,000,000.....hahahaha There will be 3 fanboys on here who defend it to the death. They made up in their mind that the game would be great before it even came out and the will stick with that idea, until they are let down and heartbroken...
  • edited November 2011
    I would be glad if it was. At least Activision makes quality games. I about lost it when I saw Dinos with glow in the dark eyes....now it's just getting stupid..For the people who really hate this game, we will have the last laugh. This game will be forgotten in a month, probably not even hit 100,000 in sales while MW3 will be at 10,000,000.....hahahaha There will be 3 fanboys on here who defend it to the death. They made up in their mind that the game would be great before it even came out and the will stick with that idea, until they are let down and heartbroken...

Only quality game from Activision in my opinion was The Movies Game: Stunts and Effects. And maybe the first spiderman game. BUT THATS IT.

MW3 sucks hard. And usnusa, troodons eyes are meant to glow, it makes afraid. Which it got me good. This game came from an indie company, the sales are low because they haven't advertised it at all.
    *snip*
    Strike three, you're out. -SWP

And no, I'm not a fanboy. I don't like this game, and I don't hate this game. Hate is a strong word, I dislike it's quality.
  • edited November 2011
    At least Activision makes quality games.

This made me lol hard. Activision is basically just EA but the games have worse graphics. Most of the stuff Activision produces is a waste of time. Their catalogue just consists of generic shooters and poorly made licenced titles.
  • edited November 2011
    MW3 got those sales because of the gayboys that love the game so much.
    Hate is a strong word, I dislike it's quality.

But it's okay to throw around a word that contributes to hate crimes? I'm no prude, but there's a difference between "gay" and "gayboy." One is a neutral description and the other is a slur used to bully.

I would not have gone off-topic but I pressed the "report" thingy several hours ago. I respect the decision of the mods, on that post as well as mine, as well as their time if they are busy. But I stick to my opinion that the term does not belong in a respectful forum any more than a racial or ethnic slur.

Thank you. :)
  • edited November 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    poorly made licenced titles.

Reminds me of Telltale 2010/11 catalogue.
  • edited November 2011
    anthoto1 wrote: »
    Reminds me of Telltale 2010/11 catalogue.

I won't lie, the thought crossed my mind when I wrote the post but at least Telltale have the excuse of being a small developer and publisher. Activision is one of the biggest in the business and they routinely churn out stuff that is worse than BttF and JP.
  • edited November 2011
    Played JP for Mac. Didn't experience any game probs. Loved the characterization--best I've seen in any game. The negative is the facial expressions aren't true to the emotion. Maybe some LA Noire magic to remedy that in future games. Still, I was impressed with the cast of characters and range of personality types, as well as the voice acting and storyline.

As for gameplay,it was different, of course, more action-oriented, which I do not enjoy, but the actions were easy, something hard-core action lovers probably hated. I would have liked to have seen more puzzles.

Music was wonderful.

9/10
Sign in to comment in this discussion.