Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Only quality game from Activision in my opinion was The Movies Game: Stunts and Effects. And maybe the first spiderman game. BUT THATS IT.

MW3 sucks hard. And usnusa, troodons eyes are meant to glow, it makes afraid. Which it got me good. This game came from an indie company, the sales are low because they haven't advertised it at all.
    *snip*
    Strike three, you're out. -SWP

And no, I'm not a fanboy. I don't like this game, and I don't hate this game. Hate is a strong word, I dislike it's quality.

i disagree that MW3 sucked hard. people have been really hard on FPS. i personally don't like FPS with the main emphasis being multiplayer, because i love rich stories and wide variaties of world to explore. but watching my older brother play the campaign for MW3, i was blown away, the cut scene are brilliant, the story is exciting and keeps you on your toes, and the graphics are amazing. i have to give credit where credit is due. you don't need to claim that MW3 was garbage because in all reality it wasn't, it's great for what it is, a FPS.

JP the Game is a disappointment to a lot of people, which is understandable. I personally love the game, even with all its flaws.
  • edited November 2011
    is jurassic the game free to download or do you just have to buy it and then get the disc to run it??
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2011
    If you buy the normal version, you have to download it and activate it online. After that, you can play it without online activation.

If you buy the Deluxe Edition, you will also get the Download Episodes, but also a standalone DVD (a few days before X-mas, if you're in the US) that will work without online activation.

But this is a review thread! ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    they routinely churn out stuff that is worse than BttF and JP.

They actually make better games than BttF and JPTG. They don't take any risk and they cash in on their biggest franchise but, overall, as julesimanerd just said, they get the job done. The same thing can't be said about the last TT games that are massive disappointment according to the press and most gamers.
  • edited November 2011
    cozy wrote: »
    is jurassic the game free to download or do you just have to buy it and then get the disc to run it??

if you have an xbox 360, i recommend getting that version
  • edited December 2011
    I created a video with all the coolest dinosaur death scenes to go along with my review of the game, so check it out, eh?

http://thebestgamesiteever.com/2011/11/review-jurassic-park-the-game-plays-just-like-an-extension-of-the-original-film/
  • edited December 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    I won't lie, the thought crossed my mind when I wrote the post but at least Telltale have the excuse of being a small developer and publisher. Activision is one of the biggest in the business and they routinely churn out stuff that is worse than BttF and JP.

Wasn't always that way. They made some of the best Star Trek games of their time. Then Bethesda got the license and made some of the crappiest.
  • edited December 2011
    Another fair JP review.

I actually really agree with this one. ...I'm glad it exists, but it could have been better.
  • edited December 2011
    Johro wrote: »
    Another fair JP review.

I actually really agree with this one. ...I'm glad it exists, but it could have been better.

I think that one pretty much nails it.

I'm glad bugginess was addressed, though the button-press part of gameplay I experienced (even when I had a serious expert in fast-button-pressing play for me, and even with the settings turned way down) was still so off (and my gaming system is barely over a year old) that I would have to ding it another couple points and specify "cheap" as $5 or less. However, my other disappointments were very well described.

You raise a question for me, am I glad it exists? Because I was SO excited about this release, and (wow, YAY!) about who was making it, and because it sucked SO bad, for me, no. I wish it was still to be made so there was a chance of it being the great game it should have been. :(

BTW Nick (earlier post) although your review was more enthusiastic, and therefore less in tune with me, I appreciated your youtube. The one good thing about the gameplay sucking so badly was some initial fun with the scary deaths. I only wish they'd been more fairly avoidable by accurately following the arrows and their timing the first time instead of trying several times to not only memorize what it will ask for but to figure out what the game seemed to want instead (I don't know if that makes sense but that's what I unfortunately experienced.)

Note re: all my comments on buggy game controls -- I simply do not have these kind of problems on my system, even with more sophisticated games. The game follows my play. I gather most people didn't have quite as bad a time as I did but this is the only game without "known issues" that really works poorly for me.

That said, I hope for a major patch (for the sake of others, and I might try it too) and otherwise, onwards! May the next project be far more successful! Happy gaming, all! :D
  • edited December 2011
    I see no one has responded with my 2 most important comments that
    1-It didnt have the feel of jurassic park
    and
    2-That T-Rex seriously eats too much

I think the strongest review point is that the entire game from start to finish was ridiculously unrealistic....even within the context of unrealistic Jurassic Park.
  • edited December 2011
    Jurassic Park Modern Warfare from Activision and Sledgehammer games.

Be glad it isn't that.

I can't say I am glad it isn't that, because that might have been at least realistic, and not a stupid cartoon.

Something along the lines of Dead Space, but played in open world Isla Nublar, would have been scary as hell, and awesome.
  • edited December 2011
    I just finished Jurassic Park: The Game in 3 days and I must say that was one the best games I had ever played! The ending was epic and I started freaking at the end because I knew what would happen to Gerry if I failed (I got to the boat).

Over all game: 10/10
    Story telling: 10/10
    Graphics: 9.5/10
    Sound: 10/10
    Bugginess: 1/10 (thats good)
    Puzzles: 8/10
    Death Scenes :D : 10/10!

THANK YOU TELLTALE FOR THIS GAME! Cannot wait to see more from you guys!
  • edited December 2011
    Here we go:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/03/jurassic-park-the-game-review/

PRESS X TO KEEP READING. LOL.
  • edited December 2011
    I enjoyed it, few things:

Little glitch's, though they made me laugh, like someone knife sticking out of their arm...
    Something i noticed, more to the end of it is how the music changes between choices, its very sudden and noticeable.
    Only took a day to play, basic, no rushing, aiming for gold.
    Loved the story, i've always wanted a view of Jurassic Park from behind ^_^
    Overal, 7/10. :) I enjoyed it, worth my money :D
  • edited December 2011
    nanotyrano wrote: »
    I just finished Jurassic Park: The Game in 3 days and I must say that was one the best games I had ever played! The ending was epic and I started freaking at the end because I knew what would happen to Gerry if I failed (I got to the boat).

Over all game: 10/10
    Story telling: 10/10
    Graphics: 9.5/10
    Sound: 10/10
    Bugginess: 1/10 (thats good)
    Puzzles: 8/10
    Death Scenes :D : 10/10!

THANK YOU TELLTALE FOR THIS GAME! Cannot wait to see more from you guys!

You work for Telltale!!!
  • edited December 2011
    jpark_08 wrote: »
    You work for Telltale!!!

Or maybe simply he is a big Jurassic park fan...and appreciate what Telltale did for us :)
  • edited December 2011
    Welp I got banned, took long enough. I'm done with this forum, clearly no one wants me here.
  • edited December 2011
    what is the magic word in jurassic park
  • edited December 2011
    I just finished the game and I must say, I am so incredibly impressed with it! Here is a review of it:

Story 10/10!
    The story was fantastic! It flowed well, it fit the movie universe very well. It ties aspects of both the novel and movie, which is like candy to fans of both, very well and adds more to the JP movie universe. It also gives answers to some of the questions the first film left behind which is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Graphics 7.5/10
    The graphics are by no means MW3 or Assassins Creed level graphics, but they are not completely horrid. They are good graphics, but I must say the facial expressions could have use work, and the shadows can be pixelated at some points. However, the people and dinosaurs look amazing! Very good considering how small Telltale is as a company

Sound 7.5/10
    The sounds were just like the graphics, great but they did have some issues. At some points, the music works perfectly! At other points, it seemed to stand out awkwardly and out of place. Plus some errors, like no metal clicking when some of the characters walked on metal flooring. The voice acting is outstanding! The dialog is
    excellent, though it has some issues with seeming rushed, but this only occurs a few times. Not the best, but overall, impressive.

Gamplay 6.5/10 (PC) 8.5/10 (Xbox 360)
    If you have a PC version, its buggy and not the best. Also, the medal achievement section felt unnecessary and added more frustration than enjoyment to the game. It could very well use an update or two to help improve it, but overall it wasn't too bad. If you have a Xbox 360 version, FAR BETTER! Very few bugs, fits the controller scheme well (some points the LB and RB can get mixed up), and makes it enjoyable! The medal achievement, in some sections, worked very well with the Xbox achievement and gamepoint system (again, can be frustrating). One major flaw for any version of the game though is the buttons in the QTE never change. Instead of being prepared for some random button, all one has to do is memorize the button sequence which takes away from the gameplay and makes it boring at times.

Overall 8.5/10 (Xbox 360) and 8/10 (PC)

Both versions are buggy and and some issues, but overall it is a VERY good experience and largely underrated! The gameplay can be stale, frustrating, and boring, but it does make the game fun, original, and new! Sound and graphics are great, not the best, but great, and the story makes it feel like a true JP experience! If you are a diehard fan, this game is a must! If not, at least try it out and see for yourself.
  • edited December 2011
    mrskittens wrote: »

Best review yet.
  • edited December 2011
    First of all; I love Telltale Games. They have quite a name for themselves and almost all is well deserved.

Jurassic Park is an excellent license especially since it allows them to use the sound effects. The game engine may be aging, but I was quite impressed what they achieved with the pier scene in the beginning for example. Still all fun and games.

I bought the game for the PC first and started playing. Using the keyboard was an option, but a laughable at best. Luckily I own an XBox 360 controller and I tried that. Also not the best of experiences since the QTE controls seem arbitrary. Standing op with the LB and RB buttons made me and my mates laugh. I don't think that was the effect one would want to achieve with the on-screen action.

Later I got an iPad (yay!). I again paid a certain amount in te App Store, no argument there, that's my choice.

I started playing again. I was amazed. All of the control issues were simply non existent. Even from the running start (pun intended) I managed to hit every single QTE. Pan and turn the camera? All very natural.

My problem with all of this is this. This is not a PC nor an console game. It was obviously designed for an multitouch device (iPad 2). In your Gamasutra interview you expressed the desire to go big for mobile devices. I get that and it is smart move.

But if you make a game for a specific platform and it pretty much sucks on others then you're milking it. I'm assuming the intake from mobile is far less than other platforms so I get that too.

This product is not fairly priced for the PC platform. I actually feel burned for buying it on the PC, but am happy to buy the additional episodes on the iPad.

I hope that in the future you'll be more forward about which platform is your lead SKU.
  • edited December 2011
    Just an fyi gameinformer gave JP:TG a 5.5 out of 10.
  • edited December 2011
    SeanJP wrote: »
    Just an fyi gameinformer gave JP:TG a 5.5 out of 10.

Just an fyi I dont trust reviewers. I play games based off my opinion.
  • edited December 2011
    Just an fyi there's already a thread for talking about impressions of the game. (Sorry, couldn't resist :P)

Edit: In case it wasn't obvious I posted this before the thread was merged.
  • edited December 2011
    I love Telltale. I love the way they brought back Monkey Island and I love how it worked out. I love Sam & Max, Back to the Future, Bone.

Jurassic Park: The "Game" is the worst "game" I've "played" in the last decade. Refer to PC "Gamer" review. Could've written it myself. Without the wit. Indeed there's more entertainment in the PC "Gamer" review than in the "game" itself.
    I hope that in the future you'll be more forward about which platform is your lead SKU.

I agree with everything you say except one thing: It should not be necessary to let us know which platform is the lead SKU. There should not be a lead SKU. If you release a game for a certain platform, that game should be as good as it can be on that platform. People who buy the PC version don't give a toss about the iPad version. Taking an iPad app and porting it to PC, which is obviously what's happened here, and not changing anything about it is not good.

And this is before we get to the real issue here: It's crap. Where's the game part?

Telltale, pray tell, what happened? You actually got to the point where people could buy your titles without much research because we knew they would be good. Not anymore.
  • edited December 2011
    nanotyrano wrote: »
    I just finished Jurassic Park: The Game in 3 days and I must say that was one the best games I had ever played!

Was the last game you played by any chance called "PacMan"? I really don't get it. How you can give 8/10 to puzzles when there aren't any is particularly interesting.
  • edited December 2011
    Was the last game you played by any chance called "PacMan"? I really don't get it. How you can give 8/10 to puzzles when there aren't any is particularly interesting.
    hahaha, that is funny. The game was awful. Gamepro gave it a 5.5 and that was one of the better reviews....they said it best. The movie, which was made almost 20 years ago, still looks BETTER then the game !!!!
  • edited December 2011
    dionne wrote: »
    Played JP for Mac. Didn't experience any game probs. Loved the characterization--best I've seen in any game. The negative is the facial expressions aren't true to the emotion. Maybe some LA Noire magic to remedy that in future games. Still, I was impressed with the cast of characters and range of personality types, as well as the voice acting and storyline.

As for gameplay,it was different, of course, more action-oriented, which I do not enjoy, but the actions were easy, something hard-core action lovers probably hated. I would have liked to have seen more puzzles.

Music was wonderful.

9/10
    Really ????????? The best characterization you have seen in any game ???? I love how you then throw in LA Noire. You realize that was a huge multi million dollar game
  • edited December 2011
    Snugglecakes & usnusa2003: fine, you didn't like the game but there's no need to have a go at people that did.
  • edited December 2011
    Snugglecakes & usnusa2003: fine, you didn't like the game but there's no need to have a go at people that did.

No, I know, I couldn't resist sorry :D
  • edited December 2011
    No, I know, I couldn't resist sorry :D

hurr durr couldnt resist insulting others opinions on the game let me become Faceslasher Jr and insult others!11111111111111111
  • edited December 2011
    ive now finished the game. probably one of the worst games ever. i dont know, the whole thing feels like a student exam-project. who re-invented the 1997 jedi knight graphics?
  • edited December 2011
    asyncus wrote: »
    who re-invented the 1997 jedi knight graphics?

Are you seriously comparing this:

jediknig_screen004.jpg

with this:

Telltale-Games-Jurassic-Park-Game-.jpg

Ok, it's not Skyrim or LA Noire standards of graphics but the amount of criticism regarding the level of graphics in the game is ridiculous.
    Give your head a shake, man!
  • edited December 2011

Ok, it's not Skyrim or LA Noire standards of graphics but the amount of criticism regarding the level of graphics in the game is ridiculous.

They look exactly the same ;P
  • edited December 2011

For your information, I play many great games like, oh idk, maybe Halo? Operation Genesis? Assassins Creed? Must I go on? The point is I gave the GAMEPLAY 8.5/10, not the puzzles. The puzzles were about a 6.5/10; it's clear you are a moron who does not take the time to read any thing of what I had to say, and you come from a biased point of view of "it's not a shooter, so it sucks". Do everyone a favor, and stop trolling, or AT LEAST have more back up to ur opinion than "ur an idiot"
  • edited December 2011

jediknig_screen004.jpg

with this:

Telltale-Games-Jurassic-Park-Game-.jpg

I couldn't agree more; Idk why everyone says the graphics are PS2 class. Its not the best, but it is defiantly not PS2 class
  • edited December 2011
    usnusa2003 wrote: »
    hahaha, that is funny. This person must have only played like two games in their life. The game was awful. Gamepro gave it a 5.5 and that was one of the better reviews....they said it best. The movie, which was made almost 20 years ago, still looks BETTER then the game !!!!

*snip*
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    If someone thinks he was personally insulted, and feels offended, please report the post to a moderator immediately. You DO NOT INSULT BACK.
  • edited December 2011
    HEY EVERYONE WHO USES OTHERS REVIEWS AS THEIR OPINION, READ THIS!

Your opinion is what is final, don't trust Metacritic or others. Most likely the bad reviews on Meta are from the dumbshits who got mad about Telltale breaking the shit jeep, excuse my french. We need YOUR reviews, I don't care if it's copypasta, but as long as it's from your fingers and keys. Don't make me break out the paddle and go smack a dog. This thread is for YOUR reviews, don't shove other reviews and here.

And for the love of god, RESPECT OPINIONS!
  • edited December 2011
    funny, i have the game and i have replayed it like five times, i am exploring the dialouge especially at the boneshaker between jess and nima, it cracks me up like every time
Sign in to comment in this discussion.