The Walking Dead: Blood [Character Submission Open]

Comments

• That sounds like a good idea, so no spoilers.

• Alright.

Eh...I may wait just a while longer.

• I have a few placeholder characters in Wilson, Claire, Thomas and Quentin. Those are characters who I've created and need to be in the story, but if someone makes a character that could replace one of them, I will use them instead.

• edited February 2015

PART 1: TIMES ONCE LIVED

Prologue: Room and Board

Grace Peters

In the hours she spent by herself, Grace could sometimes hear voices telling her to do things. She rarely agreed with the things they had to say, but she was thankful they were there. She didn't like to be alone. The voices were there to comfort her and to guide her. She knew it's silly to think that they're there. She knew that it was only her imagination trying to compensate for the overwhelming silence around her. She knows it's just pretend. But there has never a time when Grace was more scared than when she was alone.

She tore the seam off of a plastic bag and poured pellets of cereal into the bowl. It was morning, and she had neglected to wipe every bit of buildup out of her eye. The flowing brown hair that normally hung neatly at her shoulders flew astray in every direction, not aware that it was morning. She brought a spoonful to her mouth and spent every moment she could savoring the taste of the cereal. It tasted of strawberries. Grace loved strawberries.

The door behind her cracked open, and Ashley strode through, holding a glass of skim milk. That was the only kind she would ever drink. She never did know when to quit dieting. The woman was a flight attendant in the time she would spend at work. Every day she would fly off on some plane to the Great Plains, and then fly right back the same day. It was surprisingly rewarding work, lending her enough money to afford a cottage on a road in the middle of nowhere.

"Well, Grace, someone's up early." She joked.

"Shut up." Grace scoffed, wiping the side of her mouth with a napkin.

"Oh, Grace, you don't know me well enough. You really think you can get ME to shut up?" She asked jokingly. "You're already up. Might as well get ready and get out there. Daylight's burning."

"I think I'll finish my breakfast first." She laughed, turning around in her chair to face her life-long friend. "When I asked if I could come stay in your place while I was between jobs, I assumed you knew it would be a while before I found one. This is the second week, Ashley. Cut me some slack."

"Yeah?" Ashley said, pulling a chair out from under the kitchen table next to me and straddling it. "Well, I assumed you would at least be trying. I'm happy to rent my room out to my old roommate, but I'd still rather see you successful, with a job, providing for yourself, than here under my wing...no matter how many times you do the dishes."

"Yeah, but no one can quite get that sparkle like I can." She laughed and Grace couldn't help but manage a laugh too. Her friends' laughter was infectious.

"You were sleeptalking again last night." Ashley informed her, removing the light tone from the conversation.

The smile immediately disappeared from Grace's face. "Really?" She asked. "What about?"

"The same thing as all the other nights." Ashley spoke, not able to meet her eyes. "It was about Sam."

Grace leaned in toward her, grabbed her chin and looked her in the eyes. "This is the last time you will mention my brother's name. Ever since my parents died, I sheltered him. He was the only thing I cared about in the world. I took care of him. I provided for him. I was more of a parent to that boy than mom and dad ever were. And how did he repay me? By stabbing me in the back. He can sit there and rot in that jail for all I care."

Ashley broke away from Grace's firm grip, turning her gaze back down into her half-empty glass of milk. "Those weren't quite the words you used last night." She spoke softly.

The two of them sat in silence, eating their breakfasts. After ten or so minutes, Grace picked up the remote across the table from herself and turned on the television mounted on the wall. The channel that appeared on the screen was not number 103 like they expected, but a news bulletin. There was a man on the screen speaking in an urgent tone. "-and so the plague continues to sweep across Europe. The virus has infected over half the population in the eastern continents as well as other islands in the Atlantic and is gradually seeping westward. The death toll of the past two days has been overwhelming."

"What is this virus they're talking about?" Grace asked asked her friend.

"It's some deadly infection." She answered. "It's been all over the news in the past couple days. We should be fine though. I've heard it only hits the north for some reason."

"The range of the pandemic has already been recorded in Greenland and Bermuda." The man on TV continued.

"Shit..." Ashley muttered. "If it's spread that far from the coast in two days...It should hit Georgia in at least two days..."

"-and the board of health recommends any not yet exposed to the virus to take precautionary measures such as-"

"Precautionary measures? Grace, we need to get off of the mountain." She said, pointing in the direction of Savannah. Grace never quite understood why Ashley wanted to have a house in the middle of nowhere, but whatever her husband said went, and it's where he lived as a child. "We could stock up with medicine down at the city. I was planning to meet Gary for lunch down there anyway."

"I don't know, Cici." Grace shrugged. "If we go down to the city, we'll be in contact with a lot of people. That's how diseases are transferred."

"You sound like a doctor." She laughed, pushing her chair back under the table. "Of course, you wouldn't be, because you don't have a JOB!"

"Fuck off." Grace chuckled, standing up from the table herself.

"C'mon." Ashley begged, striding toward the door, putting on her shoes on. "We need to get medicine. I hate getting sick. You know that. Remember that time sophomore year?"

She was referring to the day when she had the flu back in college. Grace had taken care of her that entire time. There was a period where she was crying because she couldn't do anything productive. Grace kind of thought that staying here in her house was payback for making me do that in college, but according to Ashley, it was far worse. "Don't I know it." She replied. "Are you sure you're really going down there to get medicine, or do you just want to see Gary again?"

Ashley put her hands on her hips and adorned her purse. "I don't see why we can't do both. And besides, he just got home from the airport today. I haven't seen him for three days."

"Yes, but you texted him the whole time." She shook her head.

"He had a few meetings." Grace stood there, staring at her judgementally. "They were really LONG meetings. Anyway, are we going or what?"

[A. Drive down to the city.]

[B. Stay in the cottage.]

• Oh, wow. Let me just say first off I can already tell this is going to be an incredible story. Your writing style is so descriptive, it isn't all dialogue and it isn't all actions, to me it's just the right amount of both. Honestly, I can tell you're an awesome writer and I'm excited and interested to see what's next in the story :)

These choices...man, it could alter the story so much either way. I'd say going to the city is a better choice, not only could they possibly get medicine but meet Gary as well. If it goes mostly to plan they should be okay.

[A. Drive down to the city.]

PART 1: TIMES ONCE LIVED Prologue: Room and Board Grace Peters In the hours she spent by herself, Grace could sometimes hear voices

• Thanks for the feedback :)

ComingSoon posted: »

Oh, wow. Let me just say first off I can already tell this is going to be an incredible story. Your writing style is so descriptive, it isn'

• No problem :) I'll always gladly give feedback.

Thanks for the feedback

• Submitted! Sounds awesome!

• [A. Drive down to the city.] - Though staying at the cottage is clearly a better option in terms of avoiding the virus, but I honestly wanna meet Gray. :3

I gotta say, this is looking quite promising! Your writing is well thought out and clean, I'm really looking forward to the future chapters! :D

PART 1: TIMES ONCE LIVED Prologue: Room and Board Grace Peters In the hours she spent by herself, Grace could sometimes hear voices

NoHopeLeft posted: »

[A. Drive down to the city.] - Though staying at the cottage is clearly a better option in terms of avoiding the virus, but I honestly wanna

• You're in. It may be a while until he shows up though. Probably into Part 2.

#TeamSarah posted: »

Submitted! Sounds awesome!

• Thats fine! :)

You're in. It may be a while until he shows up though. Probably into Part 2.

• edited February 2015

[B. Stay in the cottage.] The coward's choice :D

You really are great writer, I must say that! I guess I should submit a character...

e: submitted :)

• Submitted one,hopefully she can be in the story.

• [A. Drive down to the city.]

• Thanks, you too. Your game of thrones one is the only one on here I've ever really followed.

[B. Stay in the cottage.] The coward's choice You really are great writer, I must say that! I guess I should submit a character... e: submitted

• In that case I must recommend the Liquid's GoT fanfic! Its been on awhile but if you find time to catch it up it's totally worth it :D

Thanks, you too. Your game of thrones one is the only one on here I've ever really followed.

• I'll check it out.

In that case I must recommend the Liquid's GoT fanfic! Its been on awhile but if you find time to catch it up it's totally worth it

• There's one offscreen vote for [B. Stay in the cottage.] So I'll just mark it here.

• Just checked this out, it is really amazing! Submitted two characters, I hope you find a role for them :)

• Ivan is really interesting.

Just checked this out, it is really amazing! Submitted two characters, I hope you find a role for them

• One more offscreen vote for [A. Drive down to the city.]

• edited February 2015

66.6% of readers chose to [A. Drive down to the city.]

-------------------------

"Shit, Ashley. Let me get ready first." Grace complained.

"Make it quick." Ashley replied. "I want to get down there before lunch."

"You know me." She laughed, pushing in her chair. "Quick is the only way I know how." She spun around and walked through the hall, looking through room after room. There was Grace's room, littered with dirty laundry and suitcases. The next room was Ashley and Gary's room. It really should have been the only room in the house. That room was where she spent most of her time.

Here it was; the bathroom. Grace walked in and locked the door behind her. She stripped down and hopped into the shower. The moment her hand hit the nozzle, water began to pour over her, bending down the flailing strands of hair to where they normally sat. After fifteen minutes of washing with her favorite brand of soap, She stepped out and dried herself off with a towel.

She wiped her hand over the mirror, erasing the steamy foam that had accumulated. Her gray-blue eyes stared back into themselves. There was a time when they were once full of life. There was a time when Grace used to look at herself and feel confident about who she had become. Those times were long past. They took her parents with them.

She reached into a drawer by the sink and pulled out her makeup kit. She carefully applied a bit of eyeliner, but not too much. Other girls always told her they were jealous of her ability to look good without a ton of makeup. Her hand ran over her cheek to wipe away a bit of makeup that had fallen out of place. Her finger kept running down past my chin until it reached a small scar on my upper neck. Painful memories of that day ran through her head as she applied a coat of concealer over it.

"You're done already? It hasn't been very long." Ashley said when Grace approached her on the couch. She had been sitting by the fireplace with her nose in a book. What little time she didn't spend with her husband was always spent reading. Grace didn't understand it. She always hated reading in school.

"You told me to be quick." Grace responded. "So I was. Let's get going."

Ashley walked to the island in the center of the kitchen and dug through a large stack of papers. Her keys made a metallic clacking sound as she withdrew them from the table. "Someday, I need to clean that mess." She said. "I hate having the house in a mess like this."

"Trust me, it could be a lot worse. Remember our dorm room?"

She shivered and smiled at Grace. "I wish I didn't remember that shithole. I suppose you're right. It could be a lot worse."

"Just be thankful you don't have any kids to worry about." Grace told her. "The mess in this house would be a hundred times worse if you did."

She chose not to respond. She always had a liking for children. During the school year, she worked as a kindergarten teacher. Grace, however, didn't much like the idea of having kids. They just seemed like too much work to her. She opened the front door, revealing her concrete porch. "Right this way, sir."

Grace tipped the invisible hat on her head to her. "Thank ya kindly." She strode out the door into the fresh mountain air. The view from Ashley's house was amazing; truly breathtaking. She could see for miles. She took a deep breath and entered the passenger side of the car. She was entirely oblivious to the fact that once she left the cottage, she would never be the same again.

End of Prologue

• Yup, I say it again: I like the way you write :) Can't wait for more!

66.6% of readers chose to [A. Drive down to the city.] ------------------------- "Shit, Ashley. Let me get ready first." Grace complai

• "The form "Character Submission" is no longer accepting responses.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake."

GOD OPEN IT

Yup, I say it again: I like the way you write Can't wait for more!

• Eh I may open it again after a few chapters. Just hold your character in mind until then.

ualexen92 posted: »

"The form "Character Submission" is no longer accepting responses. Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake." GOD OPEN IT

• behhh, the character is a 'chain' and I wanted to keep it secret.

Eh I may open it again after a few chapters. Just hold your character in mind until then.

• Oh I see

behhh, the character is a 'chain' and I wanted to keep it secret.

• I know you ask for cake and I give you cherry from cake...

Eh I may open it again after a few chapters. Just hold your character in mind until then.

• Lol

I know you ask for cake and I give you cherry from cake...

• [A. Drive down to the city]

I love this story so far, you have done a great job at introducing characters so far and I like how you write. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks for the feedback

mr.quality posted: »

[A. Drive down to the city] I love this story so far, you have done a great job at introducing characters so far and I like how you write. Keep up the good work!

• Great chapter! I like the way you write!

66.6% of readers chose to [A. Drive down to the city.] ------------------------- "Shit, Ashley. Let me get ready first." Grace complai

• Great chapter! I like how they're still interacting like it isn't an emergency...they haven't truly discovered an emergency yet.

• That's the idea haha. I mean no one's going to truly treat it like an emergency until it's happening to them.

Great chapter! I like how they're still interacting like it isn't an emergency...they haven't truly discovered an emergency yet.

• Yeah, I think it's a good way of going about it.

That's the idea haha. I mean no one's going to truly treat it like an emergency until it's happening to them.

• Awesome Prologue!!!

• That changes pretty quick lol

Yeah, I think it's a good way of going about it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.