The Walking Dead: Blood [Character Submission Open]

Comments

• edited February 2015

Chapter 2: Three Mistakes

Rosalyn Tamlin

The fever washed over the man on the bed in front of her. First the headaches came, then the vomiting. The color of the man's skin had faded from it's usual color. The doctors all said it would pass, and that eventually everyone would get past this, but Rosalyn knew better. As she gazed upon the man's dying face, she knew today was the beginning of the end. She just wished everyone else could see it too.

Rosalyn Tamlin grew up here, in the heart of Savannah. At twenty-two, the girl had never really found a purpose, or something she excelled in. She was always praised by school teachers because she was always good at everything. This was a curse. Rosalyn had waited all her life to be truly great, this day hadn't come...yet. She grew up with tales from her father of courage and valor. She hoped that one day, she'd take her place among them.

Rosalyn opened the door to her apartment with a twist her palm, and entered the room she had grown so accustomed to over the last three years. She was in her senior year of college, and still only had a pile of junk for living space. She turned after locking the door behind her and found her brother, Isaac, sitting atop the couch, staring blankly at the screen of the television as he always did when he was bored. Isaac hadn't had anywhere to go after he was evicted from his own apartment, so Rosalyn offered hers. "Hey bud! Whatcha watchin' today?" She smiled radiantly on his direction.

"Oh...hey!" He said, turning around, surprised to find his sister home so early. "Did...did you get any dinner?"

In her job as a nurse at the hospital in downtown, Rosalyn had been part of a procedure where a man died on the table, and they gave her the rest of the day off for trauma release. He had some sort of infection that no one had ever seen before. "First days of a new disease always call for a few deaths." Her doctor told her after the man fell. "If there aren't, we'd have no way to make a cure. The common cold would have turned into the Black Death." Although she felt the doctor's words were exaggerated, she did feel rather estranged by the whole situation. She knew this one was different than any common flu. This one was dangerous...

"I did!" Rosalyn smiled at her brother, and he returned it in an awkward manner. "And I got your favorite!" She reached into the bag on her arm, excited to see her brother's reaction.

But Isaac was surprised to find that instead of a sub sandwich, or a hot dog, Rosalyn drew a long green glass bottle out of her cloth bag she always took shopping with her. "Rose...that's not dinner..." Isaac stuttered, rather confused. "That's wine."

"Okay, it's not dinner, but it is your favorite!" She laughed, as she set her things down on the island beside her. She set the glass down on the light brown table she just had refinished and rushed to the cabinet to fetch a few glasses.

"You know I don't drink... There's... There's not even an occasion." He spoke, standing up and walking over to the table to sit on the other side of it.

"The occasion is, it's our twenty-second-and-three-quarters birthday, silly!"

"That's not...that's not an occasion."

"It's not?" Rosalyn laughed.

"Nope."

"Oh..." She knocked him on the arm and he didn't really understand why. She then attempted to explain herself as she had to with all her jokes. Isaac didn't quite understand sarcasm. "To be honest, I was just looking for an excuse to get some of this stuff."

She took the corkscrew she had grabbed from her desolate cabinet in the kitchen and began to drive it into the top of the bottle. While she was opening it, the looked back up into her brother's eyes and saw that they were not the ones she left here that afternoon. They were full of sadness.

Isaac was the same age as his sister, and had the same green eyes and curly black hair. Their roman noses were similar to a tee. He had a more mild case of autism, and ever since they were young, Rosalyn guarded her twin from the hateful words spoken to him. Any man or woman who looked upon Isaac with even a tinge of superiority earned Rosalyn's spite. The two had grown into adulthood together. They played together. They ate together. They did everything together. They were the best of friends. Rosalyn was fiercely protective of him.

Rosalyn popped the cork and threw it over in the direction of the couch while she watched the foamy mist spilt from the nozzle. She poured herself a glass and began to pour him one too, but he responded, "No...Rose! I...I don't want any."

"Nonsense." She shook her head. "You refused to get drunk on your twenty-first birthday. I waited a year and a half for you, bud. Time for you to drink up, sir." Isaac sighed and took the glass by the base and took a small sip. Rosalyn chuckled when she saw him holding the wine inside his cheeks, swishing it around. "You have to swallow, dude."

Isaac reluctantly gulped it down. He looked into his glass and frowned. "It tastes...It tastes like piss, Rose."

Rosalyn laughed, taking a sip. She relished a flavor of the red wine she'd grown to love. "It's an acquired taste." She chuckled once more when she saw her brother take one more sip of the liquid. She lifted her glass in the air. "To us!"

"To us!" Isaac smiled, failing to raise his own glass in the air after her.

"What's wrong, bud?" Rosalyn asked him as she found his eyes falling back down into the table. She had been worried about him for the last couple days, but hadn't had any real reason to ask him about anything until then.

"Janet doesn't want...to date me." He seemed very disappointed. "She says...she says I'm different than her."

A wave of annoyance rushed over Rosalyn's emotions when she heard the words that issued from her brother's mouth. "What are you talking about man? You're a stud! Who wouldn't want to date you?!"

"At the moment...Janet..." She felt sympathy for her brother. He had been talking to this girl for such a long time now, and Rosalyn thought they were sure to be a thing. From how Isaac spoke of her, she was fairly surprised to hear this girl would say such harsh things about him. "Rose...Please don't beat her up..." He was speaking of The last time someone spoke something like that to him. It was some random drunk in a pub making crude jokes about him. Rosalyn successfully started her first and last bar fight that day. The bartender was utterly perplexed to see her standing there over the men on the ground after it was finished...

"I promise I won't beat her up." Rosalyn spoke through her teeth. "Now, when did she tell you this?"

"Two days ago...I think...she got together with a sophomore yesterday..."

Her teeth clenched even harder. "That bitch..."

"Don't call her that, Rose!" Isaac protested. "She's a kind...sweet, girl. I'll just go on with my life. It's not like...I haven't done this before..."

The TV was on a channel that had a game show playing at this hour. It was one that neither Rosalyn nor Isaac enjoyed watching greatly, so they were not affected when it switched to a news bulletin. Isaac picked the remote up off the table and turned the volume up to where we could hear it. "The virus has infected over half the population in the eastern continents as well as other islands in the Atlantic and is gradually seeping westward. The death toll of the past two days has been overwhelming." The man spoke.

While Isaac was taken with the bulletin, surprised by what it had to say, Rosalyn had heard all this before, first on the same bulletin that morning and next at the hospital when they treated a victim of the disease. She glanced behind her, to her tattered closet and the kitchen splattered in orange juice she had not cleaned up. Sitting there was a small black cell phone. It was Isaac's.

Under an impulse, Rosalyn imagined grabbing his phone and calling up this Janet girl to tell her off. It would certainly be satisfying.

"Rose, are you...seeing this?" Isaac asked, transfixed on the news bulletin, seeing the pictures of the chewed up bodies of those infected. "This is...we need to get medicine or something!"

Rosalyn stared at the cell phone, wondering what kind of person Janet was. How she would respond to the word 'bitch.' She ached to find out. But she didn't know how Isaac would react to that same to that same word. It was times like this Rosalyn really didn't know what kind of person she was.

[A. Call Janet.]

[B. Do not call Janet.]

• [A. Call Janet.]

Chapter 2: Three Mistakes Rosalyn Tamlin The fever washed over the man on the bed in front of her. First the headaches came, then the

• [B. Do not call Janet]

Great chapter!

Chapter 2: Three Mistakes Rosalyn Tamlin The fever washed over the man on the bed in front of her. First the headaches came, then the

• [B. Do not call Janet.]

Great chapter! I think these two are my favorite characters, at least so far! :)

• [A. Call Janet.]

• Interesting. Rosalyn and Isaac are some of my favorites too.

[B. Do not call Janet.] Great chapter! I think these two are my favorite characters, at least so far!

• One offscreen for [A. Call Janet.]

• [B. Do not call Janet.]

Great chapter, maybe even my favourite so far. I really like Rosalyn and especially Isaac.

• Isaac and Thomas are so far my favorites, Rosalyn is ok... but I am afraid she will get me drunk!

Interesting. Rosalyn and Isaac are some of my favorites too.

• Good to hear. I'm so freaking ready to get to the zombies lol

[B. Do not call Janet.] Great chapter, maybe even my favourite so far. I really like Rosalyn and especially Isaac.

• She might haha.

ualexen92 posted: »

Isaac and Thomas are so far my favorites, Rosalyn is ok... but I am afraid she will get me drunk!

• 60% of readers chose to [A. Call Janet.]

With a certain amount of impulse, Rosalyn jumped up from her seat at the table and grabbed up Isaac's phone off the counter, and ran through his contact list. She walked away from her brother and out into the hall. Isaac didn't need to hear this. She ran down the stairs and out into the street next to her apartment.

The sunset had fallen upon her neighborhood, and it caused her to realize that, no matter how shitty her apartment was, there would always be shittier ones. At least she had a place to stay. This neighborhood was not such a bad place. She stepped out onto the cobblestone street she'd known for a year and placed the call.

As the phone was ringing, Rosalyn didn't feel the need to plan out how the conversation would be going. That was her style. She would plan things out as she did them, or not at all. And she was determined to come out on top. The line connected, and she could hear the lazy voice of the woman on the other side. "Isaac, please stop calling me." She said.

"You know that kid who's been crushing on you for the better part of the year?" Her voice dropped a few pitches as it always did when she wanted to sound threatening.

"I'm sorry, who are you.?" Janet asked, not having the common courtesy to stop chewing her gum while she talked on the phone.

"Isaac Tamlin, right? You've gotta remember this guy. You ripped the heart right out of his chest."

"Yeah, the retard who's been following me around. What about him?"

Rosalyn stood in silence for a few moments on the other side of the phone, building up anger in her mind. She couldn't believe this woman. Not only did she dropkick Isaac into a pit of despair, but she also didn't have the slightest sense of guilt over it. "That retard is sitting right next to me." She lied. "You've made many mistakes in the past few days. May I lay them out for you?"

"Sorry, Isaac! I'm just not that into you!" She yelled through the phone. Her voice dropped back down to normal. "That better, hon?"

"Your first mistake...was telling him that he's different from everyone else." The side of Rosalyn's lip twitched as it always did when she was angry. "No one tells him that. Isaac is the sweetest boy you will ever meet."

"Yeah, so?" Janet asked, resonating in her own anger. "You gonna get mad at me for rejecting the guy? Do you blame me? I mean, even if I look past the autism, you still have no MONEY, Isaac!"

"I'm not mad at you for rejecting him. I'm mad at you for what you did, which was your second mistake." Rosalyn turned back to the building she had just come from. She found that the light in her apartment was the only one on in the entire building. "You got together with another guy, only a single day after you rejected him."

"I gotta go, bitch." Janet made a slight sneering sound. "Isaac, if you're there, stop following me. It's not gonna happen, kay? Kay." The phone hung up.

"Your third mistake..." Rosalyn stared down at the phone that no longer had a connection. "Your third mistake was hanging up on me."

She placed her brother's phone in her pocket, and began to walk back toward the door of her apartment when she heard a blaring sound coming from down the street. She glared down in the direction of the sound to find a giant green hummer blasting dubstep music down the avenue. Standing above the car was a man with a head and full beard of brown hair. He had big brown eyes behind thick old folks' glasses. He was standing with his torso above the skylight, looking upon all of the men and women in the neighborhood who came out of their homes to see what the commotion was.

When the hummer was in the center of the road, it stopped and turned its music off. The man looked around to all the people who'd come out to see him. He had a gathering crowd around him. A second man stepped out of the driver's seat with a megaphone in his hands. His mustache shifted around on his face when he spoke into it. "Behold! Your leader! Your savior!" The man called through the speaking device. "Dr. Crawford Oberson!"

The man who was driving handed the megaphone up to the man standing atop the hummer. "Welcome, citizens of Savannah, to your new home." Oberson called through the megaphone, gazing around to the members of the crowd he had gathered. "You are now a part of the new world. This is survival of the fittest. And we...all of us..." His glare stopped when his eyes fell on Rosalyn.
    "We are the fittest."

End of Chapter 2

• Nice one... but can I ask you a question if you do not mind, of course you don't 'Dr. Crawford Oberson!' is The Villain?... no that must be wrong Janet is so mean she is evil, Isaac poor boy.

60% of readers chose to [A. Call Janet.] With a certain amount of impulse, Rosalyn jumped up from her seat at the table and grabbed up Is

• Yeah, Oberson is the villain. He's in the video game if you played that.

Nice one... but can I ask you a question if you do not mind, of course you don't 'Dr. Crawford Oberson!' is The Villain?... no that must be wrong Janet is so mean she is evil, Isaac poor boy.

• edited February 2015

Chapter 3: Day One

Grace Peters

The pain surged through Grace's body like a bolt of lightning to a cell phone tower. She could barely move her right arm. The lower half of her body was completely numb. She could feel the distinct trickle of warm blood flowing down her face from her hairline. She didn't know what happened, and she didn't much want to.

Her eyelids hung heavy on my face. It took about ten minutes to build up enough strength to open them all the way. She cranked her head to the left to find Ashley with her blonde hair hanging all over the steering wheel. The airbags in her car must not have functioned. Grace nudged her shoulder. She didn't move.

Grace turned her eyes toward the windshield. Where the engine of Ashley's car used to be, there was a wide tree trunk. The glass from the windshild had cracked when a branch of the tree had merged with it. The clock on the dash seemed to be the only part of the car that was still functional. It read, "8:24." They had been out here all day. She found it strange that will all the clear wreckage, there were no police cars or ambulances surrounding the scene by now.

With great effort, Grace reached over, through the bent armrest, to unclick her seatbelt. The strap did not fly backwards into its holster as it was supposed to, so she had to feed it back in manually. Once it was out of her way, she put her left arm on the door handle and squeaked it open. It made a loud, painful screeching noise, but at least it wasn't jammed shut, like some of the other car doors looked to be.

She swung her legs out the side of the car, but landed them wrong and stumbled onto her side. She couldn't feel her legs, and now she wished she couldn't feel her arm. As her strength returned to her, she was able to push herself onto her feet. She leaned against the car while walking off the numbness in her leg.

Grace's eyes wandered to the tire tracks on the ground. She was curious to find out what happened, but she tabled the emotion to see if Ashley was alright. She found herself working her way around to the driver side and opening up the door. Grace poked her on the shoulder. "Ashley, wake up." She said, quietly, then began to shake her a bit harder. "Wake up, damnit!"

After taking a moment to move her head away from the steering wheel, Grace bent down to and extended two fingers to her neck to check her pulse. She didn't feel a single vibration. She wiped a forming tear from her eye. "No, Ashley, don't do this to me." A moment after she said that, she felt a slight beat in the woman's neck. She was still alive. Grace breathed a sigh of relief. "Help!" She called. "Please! Somebody help me!"

There was no answer... but what did she expect?

Her attention moved from her friend in the car to marks on the ground. Memories of the crash started rushing back to her. She saw a black smudge on the asphalt leading to their own tires, and a similar trail in the same lane. Ashley had been driving... There had been an idiot who was trying to pass a rig around a bend... She swerved away, bringing the front end of her own car into the forest... Grace noticed the foreign skid marks led off the road to the other side. She travelled to the other side of the road to find a pickup truck that had rolled down the hill into the forest, now crashed into the side of a cliff.

Part of Grace wanted to check the crash out. Surely, the person in the truck had it worse off than the two women did. But, if anyone happened to drive by on the road, Grace would need to flag them down to get a ride into the city to get to the hospital. She couldn't just leave Ashley in the state she was in. She found herself standing on the double yellow lines in the center of the country road that should have never been crossed, and she didn't know which way to cross them.

[A. Stay with Ashley.]

[B. Check out the wreck.]

• This was awesome...I didn't know Isaac was autistic until it was mentioned. Also... Crawford Oberson! I'm excited O.O

60% of readers chose to [A. Call Janet.] With a certain amount of impulse, Rosalyn jumped up from her seat at the table and grabbed up Is

• I was ironic... still Janet is more worse then him.

Yeah, Oberson is the villain. He's in the video game if you played that.

• Lol there was a part where I mentioned the autism in the first half but yeah. I'm gonna have a fun time writing Oberson lol :P

ComingSoon posted: »

This was awesome...I didn't know Isaac was autistic until it was mentioned. Also... Crawford Oberson! I'm excited O.O

• Hm...maybe in this chapter lol.

I was ironic... still Janet is more worse then him.

• Oh I must not have noticed xD

Crawford is gonna be so fun lmao

Lol there was a part where I mentioned the autism in the first half but yeah. I'm gonna have a fun time writing Oberson lol :P

• [A. Stay with Ashley.]

Chapter 3: Day One Grace Peters The pain surged through Grace's body like a bolt of lightning to a cell phone tower. She could barely

• I always wondered what actually happened there. No more!

Oh I must not have noticed xD Crawford is gonna be so fun lmao

• You can write what happened yourself :D

I always wondered what actually happened there. No more!

• Exactly haha.

You can write what happened yourself

• [A. Stay with Ashley.]

Chapter 3: Day One Grace Peters The pain surged through Grace's body like a bolt of lightning to a cell phone tower. She could barely

• One offscreen for [B. Check out the wreck.]

• [A. Stay with Ashley.]

• [A. Stay with Ashley.]

• [A. Stay with Ashley.]

Awesome Chapter!!!

• Awesome Chapter!!!

[A. Call that bitch Janet.]

• Amazing Chapter!!!

• [Stay with Ashley.]

• [A.stay with Ashley]

• Lol I didn't expect it to be so biased this time :P. Last time I wrote this chapter everyone picked the other option. Now I have to go and rewrite the back half of the chapter.

• edited February 2015

87.5% of readers chose to [A. Stay with Ashley.]

Sympathy filled Grace's mind as she climbed back into the seat of the vehicle. Someone could show up with a car...or medicine...things they needed. She was hurting already, but to have Ashley bleed to death on top of that would be too much. She couldn't just leave her here by herself. Grace couldn't live with herself if she went down there, and an ambulance had passed us by before she returned.

No matter how curious she got, Grace didn't allow herself to think about the person in the pickup. If her friend was here with her, she was going to stay with her. Strangers come second. He was probably long gone anyway. Ashley was still with me.

Grace couldn't stop thinking about the crash. If Ashley had simply turned to the left instead of the right, it would be her at the bottom of the ravine where the pickup was. Grace didn't think she would have made it out too great either. Everything that happened to the driver of the pickup could have happened to them. They were lucky...

There was a small picture hanging from the rear view mirror. It was framed in mahogany, and inside held a picture of a young woman and a young man. Grace knew them all too well, as she had seen the two together every day for the past few weeks. This photo had been taken a while ago, a few months after their wedding. It was definitely going to shock Gary to see his wife like this.

Grace turned her head slightly to see in the back of the car. It was pristine like it always was. It seemed as though the back was the only part of the car that wasn't completely tarnished by the crash. Ashley's car was really nice too... She couldn't say it wasn't a shame it was now an unfixable clutter of scrap metal.

She moved. Grace leaned in closer to her friend. Surely, she couldn't be awake already. "Hello?" She said with a slight stutter in her voice. "Ashley?" She answered her question with a groan. Grace tried to look her in her eyes, which were opening gradually. The pupils in her eyes had become white like the rest of them. Her flesh had turned a sickly shade of green. Deep blackish-red blood began to drip from her mouth. My friend was dead... but she wasn't dead...

"Shit!" She exclaimed. With a rapid lurch, the dead woman attempted to pull herself towards her, reaching out in attempts to grab her arm. She would have fallen out of the car if not for a piece of metal spearing her pant leg to the floor. Grace backed away out of her reach. "What the fuck is this?!"

She stood there for a few moments, in awe of the creature in front of her. It definitely wasn't human... at least not anymore. The sound it produced resembled a watery groan. This was like nothing she'd ever seen before, but she could tell it was dangerous.

Before long, she heard a creak and the shard of metal holding the thing broke free and sent it plummeting to the ground. It didn't seem to have control of its legs, as it was crawling toward the woman who was once her friend.

For some reason, the wounds to her legs and other parts of the body didn't seem to affect her in any way. It caught hold of Grace's foot as she backed away and caused her to trip. She kicked its face away from her foot and backed away against the asphalt as fast as she could. "Crap!" She screamed as her back hit the trunk of a tree. She couldn't move out of the way. It pulled its gaping jaw toward her face. It climbed on top of her and pressed itself with all of its strength toward her body.

Grace held her hands on its shoulders and pushed it away. She couldn't keep it off of her. Her strength was failing her, as she just regained it minutes ago. Her friend had become a monster. Her friend was trying to kill her. Her friend was no longer there. The monster's teeth were 12 inches away... 10 inches away... 7 inches away... Grace closed her eyes and accepted whatever came next.

A loud echoing sound was issued from above. She opened her eyes to find the monster with a hole in its head. Its black blood littered Grace's new jacket and her face. With a great heave she shoved it off of her. She found herself staring down the barrel of a gun. The man behind it had a full beard and mustache. His black hair hung to his neck beneath a bright red stocking cap with a hole in the center. He brushed the blood droplets on himself onto his pants. He extended his hand to the woman he saved and she took it. "You're going to get yourself killed." He said. "Come with me."

End of Chapter 3

• Great chapter!

Poor Ashley....

87.5% of readers chose to [A. Stay with Ashley.] Sympathy filled Grace's mind as she climbed back into the seat of the vehicle. Someone c

• Awesome chapter... Rest in peace, Ashley :c

87.5% of readers chose to [A. Stay with Ashley.] Sympathy filled Grace's mind as she climbed back into the seat of the vehicle. Someone c

• Wow...that was quite a good chapter!

Rest in peace, Ashley.

• Another one to erase from the books...

NoHopeLeft posted: »

Awesome chapter... Rest in peace, Ashley :c

• Just so you guys know, if Grace had gone down to the wreckage, Ashley would have lived.

Ruining people's days, one comment at a time :3

Sign in to comment in this discussion.