The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• Because no one ever learns their lesson when it comes to video games

Make a pretty looking trailer, and everyone will fall head over heels for it, every time

But then again, this is Naughty Dog we're talking about. People would probably get hyped beyond belief if they so much as sneezed on a blank canvas at this point

I still don't see how people can see a meticulously pre-rendered cut scene that is out-of-context, essentially showing nothing that divulges

• "clip her wings" [-Angels?])

i dunno about that, maybe they're referencing the fireflies?

AChicken posted: »

Yup. Interesting trailer, but kinda strange. Lots of religious talk there (Demons, Nestled with Sin, "clip her wings" [-Angels?]) so... mayb

• Possibly?
    We can only wait....

"clip her wings" [-Angels?]) i dunno about that, maybe they're referencing the fireflies?

• ...Does that include Jak II?

Eh...I wouldn’t count on the sequel being better. I guess I'm the only one who HASN'T forgotten that literally every time Naughty Dog has started a game franchise the second one is always better.

• I just finished Jak 2 the other day, I think it's safe to say that it's one of the worst games I've ever played (though I actively try to avoid bad games). I see what they were trying to do but... god, what a shambles. They were really trying to appeal to the 'hardcore' teenager market and it really didn't work. It's such a dramatic shift from the first game and tried so hard to be edgy it just ends up being a poor mans GTA 3. "Jak can shoot guns! Jak says words like ass and crap! The game is really tough because you gotta be tough to beat this game!!". It isn't even challenging, it's just frustrating. The game's mechanics are actively working against you to the point where it doesn't want you to succeed and it ends up being really boring. Can't freeaim like in the Ratchet games, gotta rely on a shitty lockon that barely works. Camera gets blocked by pretty much everything in plain view. Driving from one place to the next (because there's no fast travel) where there's barely any room to drive so you inevitably hit a guard... just insanely dumb and tedious.

Apologies for the rant but...yeah I'm still kinda mad about that game.

...Does that include Jak II?

• yeah actually. jak 2 is better than the original gameplay wise because the controls are tighter and way more satisfying. in every other way? ehhh, not so much. but gameplay wise it's pretty amazing.

...Does that include Jak II?

• One thing I can say I’m not a big fan of is the alluding to an evil cult what with the talk of “clipping wings” and “sins.” I am absolutely sick to death of evil religious cults in video games especially post apocalyptic narratives.

• LoL....you do know that apocalyptical narratives and religion go together naturally...over on the TWD subforum we have talked about why they have not done that for the games....definitely missing a good story there.

J-Master posted: »

One thing I can say I’m not a big fan of is the alluding to an evil cult what with the talk of “clipping wings” and “sins.” I am absolutely sick to death of evil religious cults in video games especially post apocalyptic narratives.

• edited November 2017

Lol...Yes, that’s why everyone kept doing evil religious cults in apocalyptic narratives until it became boring.

Unless Neil has something up his sleeve to make it interesting, I’m not going to care much for the “evil cult” section of the game.

LoL....you do know that apocalyptical narratives and religion go together naturally...over on the TWD subforum we have talked about why they have not done that for the games....definitely missing a good story there.

• Yeah, you make a good point. It's also better graphic-wise too.

Jak II is actually my favorite Jak & Daxter game, but maybe that's because of nostalgia because it was my first.

yeah actually. jak 2 is better than the original gameplay wise because the controls are tighter and way more satisfying. in every other way? ehhh, not so much. but gameplay wise it's pretty amazing.

• i agree with this greatly. after silent hill 3 did it, it really started getting old.

J-Master posted: »

One thing I can say I’m not a big fan of is the alluding to an evil cult what with the talk of “clipping wings” and “sins.” I am absolutely sick to death of evil religious cults in video games especially post apocalyptic narratives.

• New trailer is cool

• Cool! Care to elaborate?

New trailer is cool

• INTERNAL SCREAMING

• What if the new trailer was set in the future... and that woman was... Ellie's daughter?

• I've never played The Last Of Us and I'm thinking of starting to play because of the many good reviews. I've already seen two mini trailers of part two. I think I am watching a lot of spoilers...

• Is it coming out in 2018 or 2019? If I have to wait all the way until 2019 to find out what happens I think I'll die... :D

• 2019 because the full production began after releasing Uncharted The Lost Legacy.

Is it coming out in 2018 or 2019? If I have to wait all the way until 2019 to find out what happens I think I'll die...

• edited November 2017

Furious Titaness loses the will to live

AronDracula posted: »

2019 because the full production began after releasing Uncharted The Lost Legacy.

• "No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for." - Joel

• Endure and Survive, my friend.

• edited December 2017

The Playstation Experience event is on this weekend.
    There's a big livestream of stuff going on at live.playstation.com all day, but at 9:30 EST / 6:30 PST / equivalent-time-in-your-location, there'll be a panel featuring the cast and some devs of The Last of Us 2, and they'll discuss the general development process so far.

For Uncharted fans, there'll be a 10th anniversary panel just an hour and a half before that (so, 8:00 EST / 5:00 PST / equivalent-time-in-your-location) it'll feature a large amount of the cast over the years, discussing their favourite moments.

Again, all at live.playstation.com :blush:

• Can live streams be watched again later? (I hope that's not a dumb question...)

AChicken posted: »

The Playstation Experience event is on this weekend. There's a big livestream of stuff going on at live.playstation.com all day, but at 9:

• Yeah they upload the panels on Youtube afterwards

Can live streams be watched again later? (I hope that's not a dumb question...)

• Livestream was a waste of time...Gameplay trailer at E3...so game may be late 2018 or early 2019.

• What were you expecting? They already showed a lot at Paris Games Week, they even said they won't show a lot after that.

Livestream was a waste of time...Gameplay trailer at E3...so game may be late 2018 or early 2019.

• Here are some details given by Druckmann at PSX:

• He mentioned that "No one is safe, not even Joel and Ellie".
    • It will have a lot of dark moments. But also some hope and lighthearted moments.
    • Most of the game will take place in Seattle.
    • The development is 50-60% complete so that 100% confirms no 2018 Release Date.
    • We will have to wait until E3 2018 for more news.
  • edited December 2017

The development is 50-60% complete so that 100% confirms no 2018 Release Date.

Reminds me of the time when I was in college, reading up the development of the first game as part of my Games Development course. I remember that it had also took a full year for the official release, just as Part II will as of now.

Those were the good old times...

Here are some details given by Druckmann at PSX: * He mentioned that "No one is safe, not even Joel and Ellie". * It will have a lot o

• He also said that he will forever continue making linear single player games, so we shouldn't expect them to do something what EA does.

RichWalk23 posted: »

The development is 50-60% complete so that 100% confirms no 2018 Release Date. Reminds me of the time when I was in college, reading

• No complaints here.

I prefer video game companies who focuses more on single player experiences over online.

He also said that he will forever continue making linear single player games, so we shouldn't expect them to do something what EA does.

• Everyone just remember: if it takes this long a time for them to make it, it must be good.

• Do not jinx it. Most people say that about many sequels taking their time, but then fail miserably (See ANF).

Everyone just remember: if it takes this long a time for them to make it, it must be good.

• Ah, but TWD ANF was not being worked on for the amount of time since its absence. It had maybe a year at most in development, but that time was cut in half when the rewrites changed the whole direction of the story. The Last of Us 2's development began early last year. They've probably got 2 years of dev time if it comes out in 2019, and they're probably going to use every minute of that.

This can also be applicable to Telltale's Game of Thrones. Yeah, it ended in 2015, and a second season has been confirmed, but they haven't been working on it. My guess is that plans for it started, but other projects took priority and they had to put it on hold. With the recent layoffs, I don't think the real development for that will start until late next year. They've got TWD, TWAU, and a secret third project next year to work on.

Do not jinx it. Most people say that about many sequels taking their time, but then fail miserably (See ANF).

• Tell that to Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines.

Everyone just remember: if it takes this long a time for them to make it, it must be good.

• edited December 2017

Everyone is forgetting about Breath of the Wild. It took them several years to make it, on top of delaying it two years. The fans must've been really frustrated waiting that long...

But now look at it. Biggest fantasy open world game ever, and it's walking away with "game of the year".

Tell that to Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines.

• What I'm saying is that taking it too long isn't always the best sign of great games. It mostly depends on the developers.

Final Fantasy 15 and The Last Guardian didn't end up as the best games of 2016 after 10-9 years development.

Everyone is forgetting about Breath of the Wild. It took them several years to make it, on top of delaying it two years. The fans must've be

• edited December 2017

According to IMDB, one of the lead writers of the TV series "WestWorld" will be co-writing The Last of Us Part II with Neil Druckmann. I've heard the show is quite good, so this might be some good news.

Also got a theory. So, sticking with the "Joel is dead" theory for a moment...

The theory goes more-or-less like this:
    The group that Ellie is gonna "kill every last one of them" is the Fireflies (Hinted at by the logo on the STOP sign in the teaser trailer). Why she's going to kill them is to avenge Joel. The Fireflies caught up with them at Tommy's (and because Joel decided to slaughter 50 members of their group in the last game) they executed him.

I tried looking at the bodies in the trailer but I can't tell by their clothes whether they're Fireflies or not, but I was thinking, could the group that she wants to kill be the cult-like group we've seen in the second trailer?

Also, just an observation, the blood that runs past Ellie's eye in the teaser might be meant to look like a tear drop, symbolizing her despair from Joel's death. And on the scene that Joel walks in, the screen lingers on the bloody arm of a dead body. Which shares a resemblance to the teaser trailer for the first game that starts with a dead man on a bed with his arm dripping blood onto the floor before Ellie runs past, stepping in the blood, as Joel does in this trailer. Since Joel was the main playable character in the first game and Ellie is in the second, the person who walks past the bloody hand in the teaser is always the supporting cast?

• Naughtydog knows what they're doing.

Do not jinx it. Most people say that about many sequels taking their time, but then fail miserably (See ANF).

• Cool, interesting observation/theory, especially about the last part of your message about the supporting cast thingy... That was a good spot!

Talking about the firefly's: The symbol on the stop sign is one of the first things you see in the first trailer, but like you said, there really is no other sign of them anywhere else in either trailers.
    In the first game, those firefly insignias were everywhere, so I was thinking that it could of been propped in there just to throw people off-track... because we've seen that Neil Druckmann just loves to mess with people!
    BUT, the story will focus on Anna as well, and she was somehow involved with the Firefly's at some point in her life...
    UNLESS the Firefly's were somehow involved with the cult.
    Actually... how long have the Firefly's been around for? What if they originally started as that cult?

Have you seen the PSX TLOU Pt II panel yet? I haven't, but I've read a summary of it and I've watched the musical performance by Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker.
    Hmmm, maybe they should think about renaming it to The Last Of Us: The Musical? Or maybe The Last Musical From Us? Or The Last U.S. Musical? :D
    But seriously though, it looks like music, or more specifically, that guitar will play a big part in the game.

I imagine the gameplay in Part II being like this:
    Ellie has a brutal battle with a whole gang of Hunters and ends up killing them all. When she's done, she calmly sits down, whips out her guitar, and sings a song in a QTE, Parappa The Rapper style... Song finished, level complete! Yeah I'm just being dumb now... XD

Acheive250 posted: »

According to IMDB, one of the lead writers of the TV series "WestWorld" will be co-writing The Last of Us Part II with Neil Druckmann. I've

• Can this game come out any sooner?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.