The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• Joel cares a lot about Ellie, she's like his daughter to him now, and Joel is a father figure to Ellie. And he killed all the fireflies to stop them from making a vaccine because he didn't want to loose another person that he loved as much as Sarah again. He suffered a lot. "You keep finding something to fight for", he finally found something to fight for: Ellie. Sure, what he did was selfish, but I don't think any parent would like the idea of sacrificing their child, even if it was to save the world or whatever. And at end of Winter, Joel realized how much he cared about Ellie. Actually, he was already realizing how much he cared about her when they were with Tommy, that's why he wanted to be separated from her, because he didn't want the pain of losing someone he loved again. So, I don't think he would betray her so easily like that. The story is about hate, so, maybe they argued and are trying to find a way to fix their relationship? Maybe Ellie is mad at him because he lied? But your theory is really good and interesting.

This is just a theory but I think Joel is the bad guy in The Last of Us Part II. My reasons behind it is that Ellie tells "Joel" that she wi

• Plan_RPlan_R Banned
    edited February 2018

A mighty fine cover story you got there, seems a little to practiced but stick to it and no one will be able convict. But since that page is from very early in development does Ellie still look just like Ellen Page?

8th grade DLB was in art class making collages. Everyone brought magazines so there was a massive pile of them. I managed to grab a magazi

• It’s a little difficult to do that when it literally has Part II in the title. When you’re making a follow up, you have to at least hold on to some of those original elements so that it feels like it fits and is consistent from where the first left off.

I'll have to agree with you there, Deltino. This is why I wasn't really bothered by Neil's comment. I think that some people tend to forg

• Once I complete the Firefly and Hunter journey I'll have my Platinum, I already have 100% on Left Behind, reclaimed territories and abandoned territories. 4 trophies more (F journey, H journey, grounded mode and grounded mode plus) and I'll have completed the entire game.

Seriously, I hate this idea of Multiplayer trophies in a single player game. I hope that in TLOU Part ll we aren't forced to play MP so we can get the platinum. If there is a MP...

• Oh yeah, good point about the title! I kinda forgot about that... :sweat_smile:

J-Master posted: »

It’s a little difficult to do that when it literally has Part II in the title. When you’re making a follow up, you have to at least hold on

• just wanted to share with you guys that I finally got my platinum trophy! I'm so happy, this multiplayer journey was so exhaustive. I still have to play grounded but I'm gonna take a break from playing tlou for now.

• edited March 2018

Awesome! Congratulations!

If I could play multiplayer, I'd have that shiny platinum too... Plus, it was just really fun as well. I was just starting to get the hang of it too.

Ah yes, I remember now...

"Okay, a loot box." [Activates listen mode] "Area looks clear. Okay, just gonna crouch over to it and hopefully no one--" [Someone else calls out: "FIREFLY!!"] "Ah crap! I've been spotted! Aarrgh, gotta hide!" [BOOM!] "...Darn, didn't see that nail bomb there..."

MegaXD posted: »

just wanted to share with you guys that I finally got my platinum trophy! I'm so happy, this multiplayer journey was so exhaustive. I still have to play grounded but I'm gonna take a break from playing tlou for now.

• I just read this feature in TLOU Remastered on the FAQ on the TLOU website...:
    "Director's commentary for in-game cinematics from the main narrative featuring Creative Director/Writer - Neil Druckmann, Voice Actor - Troy Baker (Joel), and BAFTA Award winning Voice Actress - Ashley Johnson (Ellie)"

I never knew this about Remastered. :O

• Wait you can't play mp, why?
    I'm not so good either, here is a tip: when you have to do a mission, choose an easy one, the easiest is the "gift mission" where you craft gifts and give them to your team mates, and also one where you cure your teammates when they are hurt. Only choose these missions when you have the chance of losing 60% or 100% of your clan.
    I did this and it was much easier to complete my journey :)

Awesome! Congratulations! If I could play multiplayer, I'd have that shiny platinum too... Plus, it was just really fun as well. I was ju

• Eh, crappy internet now.

I just barely remember the missions, and only because you reminded me... I always sucked at them. Thanks for the tip! :)

Wait you can't play mp, why? I'm not so good either, here is a tip: when you have to do a mission, choose an easy one, the easiest is the

• Funny, I'm like 1 or 2 (story mode) trophies away from platinum, but all I ever do is play the MP. I like it so much I cant convince myself to go back and replay all of the story mode to get the trophies. I know one of them is the upgraded weapons trophy which will take me a while.

I'll wait till P2 is about to release cause I know I'll replay all of the first game, and ill aim to get the trophy then.

Awesome! Congratulations! If I could play multiplayer, I'd have that shiny platinum too... Plus, it was just really fun as well. I was ju

• Heheh, I actually used a walkthrough for the collectibles... :sweat_smile:

I remember when I completed the game on Survivor+ mode and I waited patiently at the main menu screen for the trophy... aaand didn't give me it. I was kinda (internally) freaking out. So I checked all of the chapters, and it turned out, for whatever strange reason, that one of the sections in Bill's Town (either Safehouse or High School Escape) didn't register that I completed it on Survivor+ mode, so I went and replayed that and I finally got my trophy.

Do you have the PS3 version of TLOU?

Funny, I'm like 1 or 2 (story mode) trophies away from platinum, but all I ever do is play the MP. I like it so much I cant convince myself

• Yea ps3

Heheh, I actually used a walkthrough for the collectibles... I remember when I completed the game on Survivor+ mode and I waited patient

• edited March 2018

YE-AH, PS3! High-five!
    HIGH FIVE

Yea ps3

• What are the odds we'll get an actual release date announcement at E3 this year? Maybe even PAX?

Also, what's the consensus on the idea that Joel is dead in the sequel and is just a figment of Ellie's imagination in that teaser trailer? The idea that the Fireflies eventually tracked Joel down and killed him for what he did, and Ellie is talking to "ghost" Joel as she processes through what happened and decides she's going to hunt down and kill every surviving Firefly?

• gameplay is confirmed but not release date... unfortunately
    and basically everyone is speculating that Joel is dead and Ellie is hallucinating him etc, im sick of reading this over and over lol I don't think he's dead, he killed uncountable fireflies, hunters and infected and survived that accident at the university, 5 years later he's dead because of the fireflies? nah

What are the odds we'll get an actual release date announcement at E3 this year? Maybe even PAX? Also, what's the consensus on the idea t

• I'm kind of sick of hearing that theory too. Until I've played the game, I'm just gonna block it out and live in lala-hallucination-land, where Joel is not dead, and Ellie is not pregnant...

"Neil Druckmann always lies. Neil Druckmann always lies. Neil Druckmann always lies..."

• At the end of TLoU Joel is complaining about feeling his age, which he's in his 50s at that point. He's probably pushing 60 at the time of that TLoU2 teaser. It's not unreasonable to imagine that as time goes on he's settled down and his age and injuries catch up to him and he can't fight nearly as hard as he used to be able to. I can attest with first hand experience that once you stop being active, you stiffen up, old injuries that hadn't bothered you in years start hurting, making it harder to do things. It's entirely plausible that they were able to get the better of him in his old age.

gameplay is confirmed but not release date... unfortunately and basically everyone is speculating that Joel is dead and Ellie is hallucinat

• You make a good point. With the apocalypse and all that comes with it (limited food, water & supplies, stress, trauma, disease, people tryin' ta kill ya etc.), what would be the average life expectancy?

At the end of TLoU Joel is complaining about feeling his age, which he's in his 50s at that point. He's probably pushing 60 at the time of t

• Average life expectancy is something of a trick term. Like, 400 years ago average life expectancy was less than 40 years old, but that didn't mean people died around 40. That's just something we have in our heads because thanks to modern medicine and readily available food, people today generally do live to be around the average life expectancy unless they die from some serious disease or accident or something like that. If someone survived to see their 20s 400 years ago, they could realistically expect to live into their late 60s or 70s. The average life expectancy is just that, an average of all people born who then died later. 400 years ago about 15% of kids died before reaching 1 year old and still more died before making it to 10. Once a person had survived to see their 20s they were pretty safe in regards to disease death, barring some epidemic or something, of course.

I bring all that up because the average life expectancy in the world of TLoU would drop way down, probably into the 30s, maybe even as low as the 20s since there's the infected as well as other people to contend with plus the lower availability of food and medical care but again, that's an average of everyone who's born and then dies, including little kids who are really dragging that average down by dying early because there's no longer modern medicine keeping people who would otherwise die in childhood alive.

Joel is already basically a senior citizen at the end of TLoU. Like in the real world, he already qualifies for AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). Everything else aside, Joel is just getting old and his body is breaking down, especially considering all the hell it's been through over the last 25ish years without proper medical care. -Being real for a moment, he really should have died after that incident at the university. His intestines would have been all tore up and I'm pretty sure that all Ellie did was sew his external wounds up but we give that a pass because we didn't want him to die lol.- But even without all that, how many 60 year old men alive today do you know that can fight off 8 or 10 younger guys at once? Even if the younger guys aren't used to fighting? And if those younger guys ambushed the old guy? How many could he fend off then?

Joel might not be dead, I honestly don't know and I'm not claiming he is, but it makes perfect sense that he could be.

You make a good point. With the apocalypse and all that comes with it (limited food, water & supplies, stress, trauma, disease, people tryin' ta kill ya etc.), what would be the average life expectancy?

• edited March 2018

How many "old" people do we actually see in TLOU? How old do you reckon Bill, Marlene, Tess, David and Winston are? It seems like Joel is the oldest character out of all of them. Not to mention that most, if not, all of the generic Hunters seem relatively young, around 20-30-ish.

-Being real for a moment, he really should have died after that incident at the university. His intestines would have been all tore up and I'm pretty sure that all Ellie did was sew his external wounds up but we give that a pass because we didn't want him to die lol.-

No, it was David's magic expired penicillin! I can't believe he traded it for deer meat-- what a sucker! He could've used it to heal himself after Ellie went choppy with the machete...

Average life expectancy is something of a trick term. Like, 400 years ago average life expectancy was less than 40 years old, but that didn'

• Neil said tlou is nothing without Joel and Ellie (k that doesn't mean he's not dead, Neil also said "everyone dies at one point" when the host at PSX 2017 asked him if Joel's dead). I understand your point of view, but Joel is such an important character, if he dies, it's gonna happen at the end, I seriously doubt we will have to play as Ellie all by herself (maybe she's with some new characters), but Joel needs to be there too, in the first game Joel protects Ellie, this time Ellie protects him because he's old lol

At the end of TLoU Joel is complaining about feeling his age, which he's in his 50s at that point. He's probably pushing 60 at the time of t

• They also said that if TLoU2 ever happened it would most definitely NOT have Joel in it. Beyond some story setup, giving Ellie her initial motivation, that very well could be the case.

Neil said tlou is nothing without Joel and Ellie (k that doesn't mean he's not dead, Neil also said "everyone dies at one point" when the ho

• edited March 2018

RANDOM CHALLENGE TIME

Okay guys! Here is an utterly pointless challenge because why not. Can you spot the main problem with this picture?:

The first person to guess the correct answer (as determined by the host) will win a... drumroll please... drawing of the most important character from TLOU (as determined by the host) drawn by... me. Waitaminute-- me?! Did I read that line correctly? Hmm, oh well. This will be... interesting...

Terms & Conditions: The host of this challenge is Psychokinesis of the Telltale Forum who can be contacted here. Participants must be 6 years of age or older, and should probably have their parents/guardian's permission if under 16 years of age, however, good luck trying to tell a teenager what to do. The host has the right to cancel the challenge at anytime at their sole discretion. The prize is non-negotiable, non-transferable, non-exchangeable and subject to availability. The host is not responsible for any feelings of disappointment or dissatisfaction that may or may not be associated with participating in this challenge. The host is not obliged to give the winner any prize.

• I actually have both lol. 2 PS3's and 2 PS4's

YE-AH, PS3! High-five!

• Troy Baker (Joel Actor) just leaked that they just finished playtesting TLOU2 and he cant wait for us to play it. 2k18 baby.

• Uhhh, is it... "Joel's left foot has sunk into the terrain?"

RANDOM CHALLENGE TIME Okay guys! Here is an utterly pointless challenge because why not. Can you spot the main problem with this picture?

• Ellie isn’t wearing her pink and white windbreaker hoodie?

RANDOM CHALLENGE TIME Okay guys! Here is an utterly pointless challenge because why not. Can you spot the main problem with this picture?

• Joel and ellie aren't wearing their winter clothes because that pic is from a trailer.

• I bet he finished it fast so he can work on Death Stranding as well.

Troy Baker (Joel Actor) just leaked that they just finished playtesting TLOU2 and he cant wait for us to play it. 2k18 baby.

• Both? Two. OF BOTH?! What d'ya need two of each console for?

I actually have both lol. 2 PS3's and 2 PS4's

• Started playing on grounded. Wish me luck lol

• Good luck. Or I should say: If you die so many times, GIT GUD!!!!

Started playing on grounded. Wish me luck lol

• It's a long story.

Both? Two. OF BOTH?! What d'ya need two of each console for?

• Now I'm convinced that the sequel is going to be released this year, just saw the interview with Troy mentioning that the game is done and already did a playtest. I hope they'll release it this summer before I move to college.

• I've completed it up to survivor+ (on PS3 at least), and that was pretty hard. You've either got to have a good notion of where the enemies are, or be confident to charge in when needed.

Can't imagine how much ammo you'd receive on grounded.
    Good luck

• Okay, now I found this whole "just finished playtesting" thing. I just watched the interview too. ( I noticed Nolan North slyly gave Troy Baker the finger, OMG XD )

That would be cool if it was released this year because it would coincide approximately with Ellie's birthday.

AronDracula posted: »

Now I'm convinced that the sequel is going to be released this year, just saw the interview with Troy mentioning that the game is done and already did a playtest. I hope they'll release it this summer before I move to college.

• You're going to need more than just luck, because sooner or later, "it's gonna run out."

• Thanks. Currently on Bill's Town, I died a lot at the Part where Joel falls in one of Bill's traps and I need to shoot all the runners with infinite ammo lol now I can't even let the runners grab me.

AronDracula posted: »

Good luck. Or I should say: If you die so many times, GIT GUD!!!!

• Thanks. I'm currently on Bill's Town and so far I have 12 bullets, (I'm stealthing through almost every place the game let's you pass without killing anyone) I think I've used 1 or 2 bullets. At the capitals building I didn't kill any of the military, well... just one, because he was blocking my path.

AChicken posted: »

I've completed it up to survivor+ (on PS3 at least), and that was pretty hard. You've either got to have a good notion of where the enemies

Sign in to comment in this discussion.