The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• Was it too much to ask them to age her voice along with her body?

• Bought the PS4 Slim 500GB it's all good.

It works just fine with my PS4 pro. I didn't notice any framerate drops when I was playing it. But if you want the most bang for your buc

• Whatever you say...

You mean racism and the way things keep repeating? It is a learning moment in history...SJW labeling is just a defense by thin skinned idiots to not face the fact that evil was and still is done to minorities.

• edited June 2018

I welcome diversity of all kinds in the media, it's great to see society becoming more accepting of and willing to represent minorities. What I don't welcome is a painfully forced agenda in my entertainment. Not to say all attempts to incorporate a more diverse cast of characters are wrong, but the good intentions behind doing so don't shield the creators from criticism towards poor execution.

You mean racism and the way things keep repeating? It is a learning moment in history...SJW labeling is just a defense by thin skinned idiots to not face the fact that evil was and still is done to minorities.

• True...but seeing as the episode is not out yet...I think I am right in saying that labeling it as SJW propaganda is a knee jerk reaction.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

I welcome diversity of all kinds in the media, it's great to see society becoming more accepting of and willing to represent minorities. Wha

• When I was younger I used to scoff whenever someone blamed the SJWs but now I kinda see their point. It seems many producers are starting to jump on that bandwagon because it's the marketable thing to do. An easy way to maintain good publicity by awkwardly shoehorning progressive elements into a story that would've clearly benefited from more subtlety.

The Last Of Us handled representation of LGBT, gender and race very well though, not calling out that game though, and yeah that doesn't mean the haters are always right to cry SJW but I understand the weariness.

True...but seeing as the episode is not out yet...I think I am right in saying that labeling it as SJW propaganda is a knee jerk reaction.

• Oh sure I can see the weariness...just as I am sure many minorities were weary of being ignored and under represented...just like women loved always being the one in distress or the weak link of a story because...well we are women. Their weariness is the fact that years of being relegated to afterthoughts in entertainment are over. Now I am with people when they say an all female Ghostbusters...that was lame...but I have no respect for those who call Rei in Star Wars a mary sue because it seeems they forget that Luke was just as unbelievable...rose colored nastalgia not withstanding. And I will call out bullshit how Marvel Comics pushes their brand of women in long running titles.

But I am tired of all these people crying SJW foul because things are starting to even out.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

When I was younger I used to scoff whenever someone blamed the SJWs but now I kinda see their point. It seems many producers are starting to

• but I have no respect for those who call Rei in Star Wars a mary sue because it seeems they forget that Luke was just as unbelievable...rose colored nastalgia not withstanding.

Compared to Luke, Rey is nothing more but a plot device that only does things because the script tells her to do it. No concrete motivation to fight against the bad guys or join the good guys. No concrete motivation to become a Jedi or learn about the Force. Background doesn’t gel with why she’s relatively altruistic. No explanation for any of her character traits.

Mary Sue is a buzzword but she’s the practical definition of a bland one note hero protagonist.

Oh sure I can see the weariness...just as I am sure many minorities were weary of being ignored and under represented...just like women love

• I feel that an important thing to remember is that this is a matter of balance, not a game of tug-o-war. You can push diversity too much just as you can too little.

As for Star Wars, even in the OT Luke was a flawed character. He was whiny, overemotional and impulsive. Rey doesn't have any notable flaws that I can discern and if she does they don't get a lot of focus.

Oh sure I can see the weariness...just as I am sure many minorities were weary of being ignored and under represented...just like women love

• So, these enemies refer to Ellie as 'Wolf'. I gotta say, that's a pretty badass name. I wonder if it could also stand for 'lone wolf', following Joel's footsteps as being a 'one-man-army'...

• Yeah so back when I would play the factions MP I'd sometimes decide to be a dick in ways that didn't sabotage our team, just for the fun of it and got great reactions like this

i promise im not usually like that when I play online lol

• I have no respect for those who call Rei in Star Wars a mary sue because it seeems they forget that Luke was just as unbelievable

Well, Luke was trained by Obi-Wan and Yoda and Rey wasn't. She had ZERO problems defeating Kylo Ren. She isn't even related to someone with the Force.

I feel ashamed talking about Star Wars in a TLOU thread.

• Well, Luke was trained by Obi-Wan and Yoda and Rey wasn't. She had ZERO problems defeating Kylo Ren.

His training was not nearly as extensive as you make it sound. Obi-Wan literally only had time to teach him some basic understanding of using the Force to aid his instinct for five minutes, and next thing you know he blows up the Death Star without the need for the targeting computer. Now I've got absolutely no problem with this, and neither did anyone else back in 1977 because "the Force did it" was a satisfactory answer. But now that's unacceptable for Rey because of reasons.

Also, she didn't necessarily defeat Kylo with zero problems. In fact, Kylo was wounded and bleeding openly, was actively making it worse, he was exhausted, and as Snoke revealed, his soul was unbalanced and his control of the Dark Side was weakened from killing his father... and he was STILL dominating the fight and Rey was losing. And then she allowed herself to trust in the Force, without the clash of conscience he had going on, and beat him. The outcome had a lot more to do with Kylo himself than Rey, as Snoke explained. If Rey had gone up against Count Dooku or Darth Maul, she'd have gotten slaughtered.

Some complain that the Force is too naturally strong with her, but they don't seem to remember that Luke just mentally tapping into his anger was enough to kick Vader's ass in episode 6 after a year (at best) of solitary training (no, not even with Yoda), despite Vader having decades of experience and kicking Luke's ass not so long ago in the previous movie. He was just naturally strong. The whole narrative of Vader and the Emperor was, "Oh man, this Skywalker kid is the shit! We need to bring him to our side!" At least Snoke was like, "Lol, you suck Rey, we don't need you. Time to die".

AronDracula posted: »

I have no respect for those who call Rei in Star Wars a mary sue because it seeems they forget that Luke was just as unbelievable We

• edited July 2018

4 years remastered anniversary today baby!

• So no TLoU2 this year...apparently the AI sucks leading me to agree with the scripted E3 Presentation Theory...And why did her voice not change? She is older.

• Hey guys! I've made a album of screenshots with a link if anyone wants to see them.
    https://imgur.com/a/9fhJzSG
    I'm just including a link as there's 30 images and I can't simplify them down anymore as I like them all equally, also because spam. Let me know what you think of them!
    I might post some videos of my favourite recorded moments sometime in the future.

• edited July 2018

I don't know about you guys, but I'm fine with scripted gameplay during the presentations. It looks cool, and you get to see one possibility of many runs. Don't go telling me that "just because it's scripted that means that the real game can't have those cool moments."
    ...Let me point you towards Grant Voegtle's Cinematic Playthrough of TLOU (below: episode 4) where he presents the events of the game and gameplay in the style of a TV Show. [unfortunately, this does mean some things get cut out]. He must've played dozens (or more) of times to get each situation of AI and gameplay just right while covering up transitions with other cheeky shots using the third-person camera. It's choreographed really well.

The combat sections are cool to see, specifically the beginning (0:55), 14:03, and 27:20.

• edited July 2018

Ooh boy this is good!

I am so putting some of these as potential desktop backgrounds (I've usually got it on a slideshow).

Hey guys! I've made a album of screenshots with a link if anyone wants to see them. https://imgur.com/a/9fhJzSG I'm just including a link

• Thanks, I appreciate it!

AChicken posted: »

Ooh boy this is good! (Spoiler) I am so putting some of these as potential desktop backgrounds (I've usually got it on a slideshow).

• It is a cheap ploy to make consumers think your game is amazing...which in the end I have no doubt this game will be....but to lie and present a scripted event as gameplay is basically misrepresenting the state of the game...what if it had won game of the show based on scripted events instead of actual game play? People could mistakenly say...well it plays better than Y game over there or Z game there. All the while being a brain dead demo.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm fine with scripted gameplay during the presentations. It looks cool, and you get to see one possibility

• edited July 2018

Right, I think I get where you're coming from here, but it's all in the presentation.
    TLOU is a survival game with an engaging story. It's only natural for Naughty Dog to present it this way, even through gameplay.

It wouldn't reflect the final product of the game very well if they showcased Ellie jumping on tables, running circles around enemies, or even her dying and reaching a fail-state. Because those aren't what the game aims to be, and not the point of the game's story. It's to survive -- and stay alive -- against enemies and the environment, which this demo shows a bunch.

Okay. Really, I don't know exactly what the problem is here, so... what do you want to see in a demo presentation?

It is a cheap ploy to make consumers think your game is amazing...which in the end I have no doubt this game will be....but to lie and prese

• Real AI in action...which means a game in working order....not a game you have to basically script out a scene to make it look like the game is functioning the way it should.

Right, I think I get where you're coming from here, but it's all in the presentation. TLOU is a survival game with an engaging story. It's

• edited July 2018

Well, GTA San Andreas has one of the worst AI ever made and it's still the best game of the franchise (Even if I prefer GTA 4)

Real AI in action...which means a game in working order....not a game you have to basically script out a scene to make it look like the game is functioning the way it should.

• edited July 2018

Real AI in action... which means a game in working order

Okay, but there's a chance what you're asking for isn't possible with the current build in development. The worst thing for a consumer to see would be to have an NPC or other game process suddenly crash due to an unforeseen glitch (like the game doesn't anticipate certain player actions in tandem), and those usually get ironed out near the end of the dev process.

Maybe it's possible, and I'm sure there are non-scripted presentations of games like that out there [though none off the top of my head].

Real AI in action...which means a game in working order....not a game you have to basically script out a scene to make it look like the game is functioning the way it should.

• I found this old draft, decided to freshen it up a little and just throw it out there. I do like to keep my unobliged promises. Since it's looking like the forum will end, I figured for all the work I put into this, I'd just post it. Better later than never?

Okay, a follow-up to my random pointless challenge that I started six months ago that everyone forgot about (including me) but whateverrrr!

The challenge was: Can you spot the main problem with this picture?:
    This is really lame

For those who might've/definitely forgotten, the prize is a picture of the most important character from TLOU (as determined by the host) that is drawn by... well... uh... me.

Our contestants:

@AChicken: Uhhh, is it... "Joel's left foot has sunk into the terrain?"

@TWD_stan: Ellie isn’t wearing her pink and white windbreaker hoodie?

@AronDracula: Joel and ellie aren't wearing their winter clothes because that pic is from a trailer.

The correct answer (as determined by the host) was:
    Joel and Ellie were wearing their summer outfits during the cutscene at Tommy's Dam instead of their fall ones! (I know, pretty stupid, right?!)

Sorry @AChicken, whilst that was a valid and amusing answer, it was not the one I was thinking of. Thanks for participating!

@TWD_stan, you were the first to point it out... but only half of it!

@AronDracula, you were the first to completely answer correctly!

Uuhhh, does that make it a tie or what? Tell you what, can you two share the prize? Here is a description of the featured character that is the subject of the drawing. Can you guess who it is before they are revealed?

This character can come across as stubborn, tough-skinned and rigid, but when things matter most, they will always be there when you need them. They are quiet and self-reserved, preferring to be by themselves or occasionally hanging out with a few like-minds; however, they are happy to follow you around if you are in need of some company. In combat, they are strong and hard-hitting, preferring to attack opponents head-on. They have saved multiple other characters numerous times, but their contributions are often overlooked by others.
    Featured character screenshot #1
    Featured character screenshot #2

Now, the moment you've all been waiting for, here is your prize:
    @TWD_stan

TWD_stan
    Display it with pride.

@AronDracula

AronDracula
    Display it with pride.

Thank you everyone for participating and have a wonderful day!!

To be honest, the reason why I delayed in posting this is because I wanted to make a consolation prize for AChicken, but things happened and I never found the time to.

• edited September 2018

Congrats to the winners!
    I didn't think this took too long, but that's probably because I thought this competition had been completed and a winner was already crowned a long while ago.
    Thanks for the contest though, P.K.! It was fun, and how you gave out the awards was just as fun, too!

because I wanted to make a consolation prize for AChicken,

Aww, you don't have to do that! I didn't get the correct answer so I didn't win!
    It's all fair and square from where I'm standing. It's no problem.

I found this old draft, decided to freshen it up a little and just throw it out there. I do like to keep my unobliged promises. Since it's l

• edited September 2018

Today is Outbreak Day! (and there's also an outbreak sale on all TLOU dlc)

Get your FREE PS4 Ellie Theme only today! (normal price is 3$ U.S.)

• THANKS FOR THE FREE THEME. Though I will probably only use it once. :D

Today is Outbreak Day! (and there's also an outbreak sale on all TLOU dlc) Get your FREE PS4 Ellie Theme only today! (normal price is 3$ U.S.)

• edited September 2018

Yeah, to be honest it's not all that special for me. Looks good, has some music, but isn't all that dynamic or has much of a "wow factor".

The original (or, officially titled) outbreak theme is still my favourite.

THANKS FOR THE FREE THEME. Though I will probably only use it once.

• Oh, there's also a free Ellie Avatar Pack and then a bunch of other Part II people available for free (until tomorrow, I assume).

Just in case you or anyone else cares about avatars...

THANKS FOR THE FREE THEME. Though I will probably only use it once.

• Fuck, I couldn't do it because I didn't have internet.

I just replayed The Last of Us again, even on the new game plus.

• Couldn't do... What?

If you're talking about the theme/avatar deal, it's still on. They'll be free for the next 3 hours (until 12pm EST).

Fuck, I couldn't do it because I didn't have internet. I just replayed The Last of Us again, even on the new game plus.

• I can't. I don't have internet at home until October 8th.

Couldn't do... What? If you're talking about the theme/avatar deal, it's still on. They'll be free for the next 3 hours (until 12pm EST).

• Aw, man that sucks.

I can't. I don't have internet at home until October 8th.

• After replaying The Last of Us and Left Behind DLC for the first time since last year, I got more excited for Part 2. I really hope the A.I. is improved in the sequel and Joel shouldn't die because that would be a huge insult to the fans of the first game.

• edited September 2018

I was thinking about when we will get to see release date and Story trailer for TLOU Part II.

If you will think about that TLOU Part I and his develompent start in 2009 and show us reveal trailer. And in 2012 they show on E3 DEMO footage and on PSX 2012 show us release date with Story Trailer.

Same could be with Part II, development starts in 2014. In 2017 show us annoucement trailer. In 2018 on E3 they show us DEMO footage of game. So im calling it now that we will get to see release date and story trailer for Part II in DECEMBER 2018 on PSX.

Sorry my bad, didnt know PSX 2018 was cancelled by SONY. sad thought.

• Well... shit. I was really hoping to see more of the game :(

• edited October 2018

This was a misleading thread name. ?

• edited September 2018

Aw man, you got my hopes up for nothing.

Although, this thread would probably be better merged with the normal TLOU thread...
    @Blind Sniper @InGen_Nate_Kenny @dojo32161

Sign in to comment in this discussion.