The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited July 2020

This is also a really good review thing on TLOU2 (Girlfriend Reviews be doin good)

Man, I love how they talk about this game's central theme being to accept the view of "the other", especially with how Abby's story is all about her accepting to see/live with a Seraphite, someone she views as being on the enemy's side.

And yeah holy shit this game definitely gave people a sense of grief for Joel's death, leading to some who can't accept it and some who can move on from it (or some in the middle of it all). That's awesome.

• edited July 2020

Say whatever you want about Abby, but if you're one of the people who sent death threats to Laura Bailey, then you're a fucking loser.

• Did Laura actually get death threats? It's 2020 and people still don't know the difference between an actor and a fucking character. SMFH

ralo229 posted: »

Say whatever you want about Abby, but if you're one of the people who sent death threats to Laura Bailey, then you're a fucking loser.

• Yuppp and I saw it and PewDiePie gave his take too about the game

AronDracula posted: »

Here we go, ladies and gents

• So apparently Sony is kinda of mad and annoyed with a few reviews here and there cause they were honest about the Last Of US 2 game. So Sony didn't like it...wow

• AronDracula posted: »

Did Laura actually get death threats? It's 2020 and people still don't know the difference between an actor and a fucking character. SMFH

• Holy shit.

Those comments are getting me really angry. Gamer culture really sucks sometimes.

Yup. https://twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/1279173199918292992

• edited July 2020

It really does. But seeing people supporting Laura and calling out these abrasive twats is very satisfying.

AChicken posted: »

Holy shit. Those comments are getting me really angry. Gamer culture really sucks sometimes.

• edited July 2020

Awww that is just wrong. You don't blame the voice actress especially Laura Bailey. She is a nice person. Hate the character,yes. But,not the actress. I mean come on. That is just sick and wrong. Ugh 😡

• edited July 2020

Oh hey Laura Bailey is in this game! Must've been recorded well before she and Travis Willingham took time off.

Shame she's getting harassed.

• Sweet fucking Jesus. If people are this stupid, they deserve to get infected with COVID.

• Let's fucking go

• Here we go

Let's fucking go

• edited July 2020

I don't like the game.

I hated the character of Abby.

I do not condone sending death threats, or threats of any kind, to her voice actress, especially when she did a fine job in her performance. It is inexcusable, disgusting, unjustified, and just plain wrong. Your problems are with the game and character, not the actress.

• This is the most accurate review of TLOU2

• I swear to God, it's the most braindead mentality on the planet. It's like Kelly Marie Tran and Ahmed Best all over again. Yes, the characters they played suck, but that's no excuse to bully them over it. They're just actors doing their jobs.

I don't like the game. I hated the character of Abby. I do not condone sending death threats, or threats of any kind, to her voice act

• Honestly, I'm done with TLOU in general, don't care about it anymore, it was fun while it lasted.

Anyway, gonna go back to other games I haven't finished playing and replay some games from telltale.

• I kinda just realized that the dialogue in the Giraffe Scene from the first game lines up pretty well with my thoughts on the second game, and also is a nice dark foreshadowing of the ending to both games.
    Just a coincidence, but I find it an amusing comparison.

Joel: "So, was this everything you were hoping for?"
    Ellie: "It's got its ups and downs... but you can't deny the view though."

-- We don't have to do this. You know that, right?
    -- What's the other option?
    -- Go back to Tommy's. Be done with this whole damn thing.
    -- After all we've been through. After everything I've done... It can't be for nothing.

• I'm also done with The Last of Us franchise. I am not looking forward to The Last of Us Part 3 because everything that I loved about the first game died in the second one. I don't care if Ellie is gonna return, TLOU2 made me care less for her character due to the shit ending and her out-of-character moments and what's gonna happen next in the world of TLOU is not my concern anymore.

I am so tired of defending Neil Druckmann and Naughty Dog and from now on, I will recognize them for making the Uncharted franchise and the first Last of Us game as the best stuff they have done in their career but TLOU2 is the point where they are losing their reputation. While it's not like one of the worst games ever made, it's definitely not a masterpiece either or even as good as the games they made before. The PR was a disaster, the employees were treated like shit (I really hope they got paid well), TLOU2 trailers were totally false advertising and Druckmann went on the same route with Rian Johnson. Why did dividing the audience become a trend now?

The only criticims that I totally disagree with is the way the audience are treating them, like sending death threats to the actors like Laura Bailey and even Neil Druckmann. What the fuck is wrong with these assholes? They basically hope for someone's death over a goddamn game, like it was the most important thing in their lives. The game and a ficitional character aren't even something you care about in real life. I hate TLOU2 but I don't have any right to threaten the ones who decided to create the game that way. I really hate Kevin Bruner for ruining the Walking Dead and the only thing I hope for him is to never touch the gaming industry ever again, he is a terrible manager and all he cares for is money.

I'm also not looking forward to the HBO series because I heard it's gonna be a re-telling story of the first game and that sounds like a cash grab adaptation. It's obvious that nothing is gonna surpass the performances and the storyline of the original, even if the new cast for the specific characters are gonna do great on their own. I just don't see the point of it. It would have been better if they actually made a story which was never made in in both games, like Joel and Tommy's adventures throughtout those 20 years of apocalypse. But no, they are gonna use Joel and Ellie's journey again to attract the audience.

Honestly, I'm done with TLOU in general, don't care about it anymore, it was fun while it lasted. Anyway, gonna go back to other games I haven't finished playing and replay some games from telltale.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Finished the game today, it was good.

dojo32161 posted: »

• He's one next level dude. The sheer restraint on this guy is astonishing.

Poogers555 posted: »

• edited July 2020

dojo32161 posted: »

• Thanks for your take.

iFoRias posted: »

I finished the game i really liked it,the gameplay is so much better than the first game like fuck way way better thank god for that,and the

• Truly the chadliest of us all.

Poogers555 posted: »

• edited July 2020

Okay, so I finished the latest episode of The Last of Us Podcast, finishing off the coverage of the first game.

Again, I encourage anyone who can listen to it to give it a try and enjoy the in-depth recap of the events of Part 1.
    There's a lot of nice insight from main writer Neil as well as the actors from the game about the process of creating the characters and detailing some elements of these characters that were originally left unsaid. Find it officially on Apple podcast or Spotify, but some fans have also reuploaded the audio to places like Youtube.

The audio mixing in this series is really breathtaking. The clips from the game all sound like they could be for a radio play.

A few tidbits of what struck me as cool were particularly how a lot of the character background was left up to the actors' interpretation. How their input helped deepen their characterization and strengthen their acting.
    Troy Baker (Joel) and Jeffrey Pierce (Tommy) have each come up with a different set of events on how/why Joel and Tommy's relationship shattered after Sarah's death.
    Bill's actor W. Earl Brown was told in an early table read that he used to have "a partner", and said partner eventually hanged himself. And that's all that was said. What Earl came up with was that his partner Frank was actually a lover. Someone he cared for very deeply, but ended up killing himself and that serves as a reminder of Joel's aversion to attachment.

There's also a few small interviews with certain development members from the first game, like the Audio Designer, the UI Designer or the Composer -- Gustavo Santaolalla.

Coming up tomorrow, July 7th, is the beginning of their coverage on Part 2. Now this, I'm really interested to get some inside info on and maybe clear up some questions on why some story decisions were made.

• I notice that many people who hate the story don't understand it. For the most part, this isn't even difficult media to consume. Yeah, I'm going to stop arguing with people on reddit.

• To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand The Last of Us Part II. The subtext is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of the human condition most of the themes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Ellie's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterization- her personal philosophy draws heavily from Cormac McCarthy literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these themes, to realise that they're not just interesting- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike The Last of Us: Part II truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Joel's existential catchphrase "What's the downside to eating a clock? It's time consuming," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Neil Druckmann's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

Ghetsis posted: »

I notice that many people who hate the story don't understand it. For the most part, this isn't even difficult media to consume. Yeah, I'm going to stop arguing with people on reddit.

• Lol I saw. Although, it's weird to use the joke as a reply because it doesn't fit.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand The Last of Us Part II. The subtext is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp

• It fits perfectly. Trust me.

Lol I saw. Although, it's weird to use the joke as a reply because it doesn't fit.

• edited July 2020

I've watched a bit of this Kinda Funny Spoiler-cast (the youtube description is so useful with timestamped questions for each guest) and there's one question about how Laura Bailey came to be cast as Abby.
    Apparently Neil didn't want to cast Laura because she's been in so many projects (and because he's worked with her on the last 2 Uncharted titles -- 4 and LL) but apparently it's because of the way she played her audition that convinced him that she brought something unique to it.

What's the most interesting thing is that it seems that the audition piece was the full Joel Death scene. (or an early version of it) as Neil mentions how Abby was torturing Joel in the scene, stabbing him, trying to get a reaction out of him, and Laura played it with a sense of vulnerability "like she's about to cry".
    And we don't see that! That sounds like a really interesting scene to humanise Abby and show off her own worry with torture and the emotional weight that her father's death carries in this scene, and we don't see that in the game. We go from initiating Joel's torture scene with Abby wanting to relish in the act of it straight to the end of it with Joel's face a bloody pulp and Abby already finished her quest for revenge.

Timestamped clip of the Laura/Abby question

I really wish we could see what that audition piece was, since it sounds like a great scene between these two characters (one very beloved, and one soon to be very hated)

• Here is the part in which I almost raged quit. Understandable or not, I still have no regrets showing these reactions.

• Some people said that they do see that. I didn't but after her flashback I saw it in a different light.

AChicken posted: »

I've watched a bit of this Kinda Funny Spoiler-cast (the youtube description is so useful with timestamped questions for each guest) and the

• I think I'm being stupid but I don't get it. I said it's not difficult to understand.

It fits perfectly. Trust me.

• To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand The Last of Us Part II.

If you are smart enough to beat the game, you are smart enough to understand the story. It's honestly not that confusing to me, the story seems sort of clear.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand The Last of Us Part II. The subtext is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp

• I hate how people are like this. If they are THAT mad over a video game, they should probably not be playing it.

• Many people who hate the story don't understand it.

I'm confused, so I apologize. But, are you saying that if they understood the story they'd like it or have a better opinion? Or am I just being a brainless meatball?

I notice that many people who hate the story don't understand it. For the most part, this isn't even difficult media to consume. Yeah, I'm going to stop arguing with people on reddit.

• The point of the story is likely that revenge is bad and pursuing it fecklessly will get a lot of people hurt, including the ones closest to you.

I still haven't given it a look outside the vague spoilers, but that seemed pretty clear.

• edited July 2020
    • Ellie: She is pregnant
    • Abby: Good! :angry:

Yep, I feel so much sympathy for this character.

• Abby said that, not Dina. Or am I being dumb.

* Ellie: She is pregnant * Abby: Good! Yep, I feel so much sympathy for this character.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.