Music

edited February 2011 in Jurassic Park
What do you think they'll do with the music? Personally, I hope they go with the music of any of the three films. The one that fits best. And if Universal allows them to use unreleased or alternate music (like in the Lego Indy games), then awesome!
But if they can get John Williams... I mean, that would be soooo cool. Impossible. But cool!

(Same goes to BTTF. Get Alan Silvestri! He hasn't done any interesting movies since the 90's!)

Comments

• edited June 2010
    They don't need movie soundtracks for the games. The first Star Wars and Indiana Jones games had excellent scores. It's when they started ripping of the movie soundtracks for everything that it got really bland.
  • edited June 2010
    I think resident composer Jared Emerson Johnson should do the soundtracks.
  • edited June 2010

Uhhhhh....No, I think there should be some of the movie music, because that was also inspiring of the movies too.
  • edited June 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Uhhhhh....No, I think there should be some of the movie music, because that was also inspiring of the movies too.

Oh right. Jared couldn't possibly be talented enough to reenact the original movie score.

....Come on.
  • edited June 2010
    A middle point could be that Johnson composes a new soundtrack based on Williams style and themes. But only use the older themes when appropiate... After all, the themes are leimotifs for characters or situations.
    For example, the four note theme heard during the opening of the first film is the Carnivores motif, used for the T-Rex and the Raptors, mainly.

The only thing that worries me about this is that Johnson is gonna get exhausted with so many games!
    Ask Land to help! :D
  • edited June 2010
    All I know is that the orginal themes should be used, because it's just fits with the style of the charachters and the dinosaurs themselves.
  • edited June 2010
    I think it'll be cool if somebody like Jared does the music, as long as he's allowed to use snippets and leitmotifs from the original film score. Same for BTTF.
  • edited June 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    A middle point could be that Johnson composes a new soundtrack based on Williams style and themes. But only use the older themes when appropiate... After all, the themes are leimotifs for characters or situations.

Which the early Indiana Jones and Star Wars games pulled off very well. Look at Fate of Atlantis, Tie Fighter, and Dark Forces. All of them have movie themes in them of course, but the soundtrack is prominently brand new and catered to the game. Not just ripped sloppily from the movie soundtracks and thrown in at random like most Star Wars games after the millennium.

If they rip off the movie soundtracks in BTTF and JP I'm going to be thoroughly disappointed, as the game soundtracks are (big surprise) a big selling point for the enjoyment and experience of a game to me.
  • edited June 2010
    Which the early Indiana Jones and Star Wars games pulled off very well. Look at Fate of Atlantis, Tie Fighter, and Dark Forces. All of them have movie themes in them of course, but the soundtrack is prominently brand new and catered to the game. Not just ripped sloppily from the movie soundtracks and thrown in at random like most Star Wars games after the millennium.

If they rip off the movie soundtracks in BTTF and JP I'm going to be thoroughly disappointed, as the game soundtracks are (big surprise) a big selling point for the enjoyment and experience of a game to me.

They are a big thing for me too I would enjoy new music but with the theme incorporated in.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, I said that. Of course it needs the theme. But that doesn't mean you have to use THE recording from the movie soundtrack for the theme. Musicians are perfectly capable of rerecording it. Especially since the musical notation score of movie soundtracks are quite available even if you couldn't do it by ear.
  • edited June 2010
    That's basically what I was saying in the first place when I suggested Jared. I definitely don't want to see the MAIN themes removed.
  • edited June 2010
    The only thing that worries me about recording new music for the games is the budget. "Sam & Max" worked as a combo of live instruments and synths because of its jazzy nature. But a fully fledged orchestral score with synths? It'll suffer, just as ToMI's (undoubtly great) score did.

Still, I don't want the movie scores to be used here either, as a) it'd be great to have more new JP and BTTF music (although it should contain themes from the movie scores) and b) Telltale uses very cinematic cutscenes, which were all scored matching the action. A tracked (i.e. cut up) mix of the existing soundtracks wouldn't work as well.

I'm certain that Jared is able to compose a fantastic score around existing themes (which he did nicely with "Wallace & Gromit"), but why assume that he will be doing the music for all those games in the first place? I mean, according to several interviews his schedule is always flooded with composing and recording the music and supervising the voice and audio work for the games as well. And now with Telltale growing bigger and tackling several series (including some new ones) simultaneously, I'm not sure if he will be able to work on all of them. I guess it's safe to say that "Tales" will get a second season, but that's all Michael Land. So, why not have Jared work on JP and some other composer on BTTF?

Alan Silvestri and especially John Williams will be impossible, of course. Silvestri has some more movie scores down the line, while Williams would NEVER score a video game (and even in the movie field he's half-retired, working exclusively on Spielberg-related projects besides his usual classical concert stuff).
  • edited June 2010
    let John Williams do the music
  • edited August 2010
    Something I think I have to point out is also the importance of the LACK of music in the films. While the soundtrack its fantastic, there are certain scenes (specially in the first film) where the sound effects completely domain the picture. And this is something Telltale should really work on, because the really good composers know exactly when music isn't needed.

Just wanted to say that :)
  • edited August 2010
    That's one thing I forgot on my latest "thoughts after seeing the trilogy" post:
    Although I'd LOVE new John Williams material, the only original music from the movies that (I think) is needed is the main theme. The rest of the music could perfectly be done by Jared Emerson Johnson, just like Don Davis did on JP III.
    This is also valid for the BttF games (Jared Emerson Johnson re-imagining/re-mixing Alan Silvestri's music, but keeping the main theme intact)
  • edited August 2010
    i think TellTale can just use the movie soundtrack. Why waste the time making your own music when people aren't going to recognize it? Using the music soundtrack works nicely and it will take a lot less time than creating a whole new soundtrack.
  • edited August 2010
    i think TellTale can just use the movie soundtrack. Why waste the time making your own music when people aren't going to recognize it? Using the music soundtrack works nicely and it will take a lot less time than creating a whole new soundtrack.
    i think TellTale can just show the movies. Why waste the time making your own game when people aren't going to recognize it? Showing the movies works nicely and it will take a lot less time than creating a whole new game.

The same goes for BTTF of course.

:rolleyes:
  • edited August 2010
    I think that when it comes to the music the only one they should use from the movie is the main theme. use it in the main menu, and use it when they arrive at the island or at least whey they escape the island.

As for everything else, I would like to hear some originally scored music that is inspired by john williams themes.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    I don't know who is doing the music for Back to the Future or Jurassic Park -- that is still something we're talking about / looking into.

Since you guys mentioned Jared and orchestral scores, it's probably worth mentioning, just for the purposes of your entertainment, that Jared co-composed the music to Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb with Clint Bajakain a few years back. It looks like this guy has some up on his YouTube account if you're curious.
  • edited August 2010
    Let's hope the Universal deal includes the budget for at least a small orchestra... some stuff just can't be done with synths, and both the JP and BTTF scores are great examples of PERFECT orchestra work.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Let's hope the Universal deal includes the budget for at least a small orchestra... some stuff just can't be done with synths, and both the JP and BTTF scores are great examples of PERFECT orchestra work.

... and examples of superlative orchestra work, also. :D
    With a 98-piece orchestra (which he dubbed The Outatime Orchestra), the largest assembled to that time for a motion picture score, Silvestri's music underscored the first film and its sequels.

However, an orchestra makes for an incredible percentage of the budget. There's just so_many_people to pay! There's always the alternative to have some real instruments in the foreground, then faking the background with synths.
  • edited August 2010
    It'll probably be Jared Emerson Johnson doing both the BTTF and Jurassic Park scores, maybe with some hints of music from the original source. Telltale's Wallace & Gromit games used the W&G theme and it was perfectly intact in melody. I don't see why BTTF & Jurassic Park would be different. Jared is one of the most talented people on the face of the earth, even if they don't use the original scores, it'll still be amazing sounding.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know who is doing the music for Back to the Future or Jurassic Park -- that is still something we're talking about / looking into.

Since you guys mentioned Jared and orchestral scores, it's probably worth mentioning, just for the purposes of your entertainment, that Jared co-composed the music to Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb with Clint Bajakain a few years back. It looks like this guy has some up on his YouTube account if you're curious.

And Michael Land has worked with Williams themes too in Fate of Atlantis.

Hmmm, how about Jared for BTTF and Land for JP? Wouldn't that be awesome?
  • edited October 2010
    The Jurassic Park theme isn't necessarily one of the first songs to come to mind when you think of movie themes, but it is pretty recognizable and fun.

I stumbled across this remix today, and it made my day just by virtue of how ridiculous it is: Exit Trance - Theme from Jurassic Park

Also, I can't really end this post without mentioning this version: not safe for work language version from YTMND

So yeah, any other fun versions? Now that I think about it, I think the movies have had more than one prominent theme song, since the one stuck in my head has a different melody than those ones do... So yeah
  • edited October 2010
    Well, in my opinion, Jurassic Park is my favorite score from all times, because it was my first connection with a film score. The first one to call my attention was the one for when they arrive to the island, the famous fanfare. And the other is the music for when they see the first Brachiosaurus. The first time in all history where dinosaurs where scored with such beauty. That theme always drive a smile and a tear on me.

I really hope they get someone who can combine the styles from JP and TLW for this game. The special "jungle" sound from TLW could work wonders here. But also bring something new to the table, without leaving Williams style.

By the way, have you guys settled on a composer yet?
  • edited October 2010
    The Jurassic Park theme isn't necessarily one of the first songs to come to mind when you think of movie themes, but it is pretty recognizable and fun.

What?! Jurassic Park has one of the most memorable movie scores written. It's one of John Williams greatest scores in my opinion. When famous film scores are brought up the top ones are: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Superman: The Movie, Pirates of the Caribbean, and E.T.
  • edited October 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    By the way, have you guys settled on a composer yet?

Just give it to Jared :D
  • edited October 2010
    PainDealer wrote: »
    Just give it to Jared :D

Well, I bet Jared is already doing BTTF, so maybe two games as big as these will exhaust him. I don't know, but I insist on bringing Michael Land to this one! :D
  • edited October 2010
    They need to put the original theme in it ... plain & simple. They can use the x-cerpt too from the end when they leave the island too. Just that middle section would suffice.
  • edited October 2010
    and they sure as hell need this one. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc7RIs7okUQ
  • edited October 2010
    Like Back to the Future, I think it would be optimal if they used a live orchestra, at least for a large percentage of the game, with a mixture of live and synthesised instruments throughout. As for composers, it'd be great if they could get Michael Giacchino. His style sounds a lot like John Williams, but different. Just listen to the main theme from Secret Weapons Over Normandy and tell me that doesn't sound like John Williams.
  • edited October 2010
    Ok, I noticed something recently... Remember the first trailer which presented most of Telltale's games and then the sort of previews for BTTF and JP? Well, listen closely while the T-Rex stomps the ground. You hear it? It's a low male choir very much in the same vein as the Opening Titles from the first movie.
    I know it's not much, but it's something all right! :D

Anybody knows if that was specially composed for the trailer or is it just library music? Even if it's library music, it's perfectly picked!
  • edited November 2010
    I think I actually bought the Soundtrack of Jurassic Park back then but I do not have any clue where the CD is at the moment. Actually it would be fun to listen to this CD again. I think I a have to look where I left the CD. Hopefully I will find it.
  • edited December 2010
    Ok while we keep waiting for some news here's one of the most amazing pieces from TLW. I really hope we get to hear some wild percussion like in the end of this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dT6uVAHOZY

John Williams forever!
  • edited December 2010
    John Williams is awesome. I can listen to his music all day.
  • edited December 2010
    Will it be in this? It's not Jurrasic Park without it.
  • edited December 2010
    As we have seen on the Back to the Future game, I suppose we'll have the original themes arranged/remixed by some other composer. Probably Jared Emerson-Johnson
  • edited January 2011

That's a discussion of the Jurassic Park music in general, not whether or not it will be in the game. See how that's different? Think next time.

Anyhow, the Back to the Future score work thus far has been great and true to Alan Silvestri's original work, so I am hoping for the same in Jurassic Park with John Williams.

Fun Fact: Alan Silvestri also did the score for Predator.
  • edited January 2011
    Jurassic Park music in general includes the original score, obviously. Think next time, as you so nicely put it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.