Jurassic Park Disc Release

exoexo
edited March 2011 in Jurassic Park
I have pre-ordered every tell tale release going back to sam & max season 1. I have also always added on any extras that were offered with the disc, such as the envelopes of goodies with S&M and the pirate box for Monkey Island.

I went to pre-order JP and noticed there was no mention of a disc release for those who order the game. Thinking back, I'm not sure I saw anything about that when I got the Back to the Future set either.

Before I pre-order, I'd like to confirm a physical disc will be made available. I'd also like to know if any "extras" are planned to be offered with any upcoming games.

Looking at my order history it doesn't seem there was a disc for S&M season 3 either :/
edit: there is, I just didn't know it! ordering now! yay

With major new franchises coming in like KQ and Walking Dead, I would really hate to see a digital only release on these games.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Yeah, the lack of a boxed disc is especially sad if you are a Jurassic Park collector.

I hope there will be announced something later.
  • edited February 2011
    Same here... I am a PC game collector and while I do buy digital-only games I am much more inclined to buy a game when a box is offered, either in a store or direct through the company's website. For instance I recently pre-ordered Gemini Rue from wadget eye games so that I could get the collector's box.

In other words if there is no JP disc offered I might wait and see if it ever comes to boxed retail like many other Telltale games are. If they announce a DVD will be offered I will likely pre-order before release.
  • edited February 2011
    wait, the DVD is in doubt? Holy jumping weasel critters on a hot cross bun! i'd really like this question resolved before i pre-order
    In other words if there is no JP disc offered I might wait and see if it ever comes to boxed retail like many other Telltale games are.
    damn the german retail Tales of Monkey Island case looks so great. so much better than the special collectors thing that we got here directly from telltale.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Crrash wrote: »
    wait, the DVD is in doubt? Holy jumping weasel critters on a hot cross bun! i'd really like this question resolved before i pre-order

Me too.
  • edited February 2011
    Being a Jurassic Park fan, I bought it...but I just feel us JP fans might be getting a little ripped off compared to the Bttf release.
  • edited February 2011
    I really want a DVD-release too! I also wouldnt care if it would be announced later after I bought it digital, even if I had to buy it again, I just want to add something to my collection!
  • exoexo
    edited February 2011
    I have often had to import games for a disc release. Machinarium for example had a great package released in europe, but a disc only release here. Last I checked, Whispered World had no US disc release either. I've just searched Amazon and found it was released, but the artwork looks like a greatest hits release on the consoles, with the artwork minimized and likely just a disc in a sleeve inside. The Vivendi Sierra collections were highly disappointing in this regard as well, and Vampyre Story also followed the disc in a sleeve route.

I am a PC Game collector as well, and my shelves of adventure games are something I am very proud of. I do spend a ton of money at GOG and Steam buying (older) games I already have on disc. The disc addresses collectability and the physical joy of owning a copy, while the digital versions often address playability.

Telltale has recently captured a ton of new licenses. I want to believe all of the new games will retain the quality of the older ones in game play and release.

Well known fan loved franchises like BttF, JP, and KQ deserve royal treatment. The fans of these series are going to primarily be older people that care significantly about these worlds. As a major KQ fan I can not tell you how depressing it was to watch companies like Vivendi release horrid compilations based on broken versions of dosbox, in paper sleeves. Those games defined peoples childhoods, yet they couldn't even be bothered to print the manuals on paper, instead resorting to a PDF copy.... These are the same manuals you have to flip through while playing the game to get past copy protection. All the hidden artwork in the kq6 manual that helps one get through the labyrinth was missing as well.

These can be seen as minor complaints, but one would think that 20 years after the release of such an iconic series we could do better than a paper sleeve disc with no manuals, shoddy emulation, and no patches applied.

Telltale has a real chance to take their unique brand and finally do justice to series that have been all but dead to their fans for years.

I have faith in tellale, so I went ahead and preordered the JP season. Heres hoping my faith in them has been well placed.
  • edited February 2011
    exo wrote: »
    I have often had to import games for a disc release.

I've been doing this a lot lately too. Machinarium is a good example, that had a lovely European release I just had to have. I also imported Lost Horizon, which had a nice thick manual with lots of story info! I recently imported Two Worlds 2 to get the UK collector's edition.

A lot of smaller publishers are stopping the release of disc versions in the US yet still releasing them in the UK. It's nice to import that box and put it on the shelf. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Jurassic Park disc release has been confirmed. We can all stop worrying now :D
  • exoexo
    edited February 2011
    excellent.
  • edited February 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Jurassic Park disc release has been confirmed. We can all stop worrying now :D

So what does that mean? I haven't bought a Telltale game yet. If I pre-order it now, will I get the disc at the end of the season?
  • edited February 2011
    So what does that mean? I haven't bought a Telltale game yet. If I pre-order it now, will I get the disc at the end of the season?

Yes.
  • edited February 2011

Yes, and it will be free to you, minus the charge of shipping.
  • edited February 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Yes, and it will be free to you, minus the charge of shipping.

Even to europe?
  • edited February 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    Even to europe?

Yup, though shipping will probably be higher for you than those in America.

At the end of seasons Telltale often do free shipping deals, where if you buy enough from their store, say $50, they ship it anywhere in the world for free. You can also slap any free DVD's you haven't collected yet into that bundle.
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm seems i might have to make my own kick ass disk's.
  • edited February 2011
    rixcm wrote: »
    Hmm seems i might have to make my own kick ass disk's.

No.
  • edited February 2011
    No.

Why not i already bought the game im just gonna put the files on a disk and skin it.
  • edited February 2011
    rixcm wrote: »
    why not i already bought the game im just gonna put the files on a disk and skin it.

do it!
  • edited February 2011
    Well considering it's Piracy, and the sort...I would persuade you to not do it.
  • edited February 2011

I agree. I'm not big on piracy. That's why I bought a Retro Duo to play Jurassic Park instead of downloading an emulator and rom.
  • edited February 2011

Is that really piracy?! I'm under the impression that when someone purchases a game, then they are free to make a backup for personnel use. It's not like they want to sell it on or anything. The law is such a killjoy!
  • edited February 2011
    yeah Im not actually clear on the matter either... Is it piracy to back up something you bought?

You would STILL need to log in when you installed the game to prove you are playing a legit copy right?

The issue has not came up yet because I have all the real DVDs that TTG has offered.. the only games I have that do not have a DVD are Puzzle Agent and Inventory.... I didn't feel the need to back those up.
  • edited February 2011

It is only piracy if i were to download the game from a torrent and not actually buy it. there is nothing actually wrong with puting it on a disk so taht i have a backu of the game. its not like im going to sell such an awsome game.
  • edited February 2011
    I guess now that I'm thinking about it. If you bought the game then you're free to do what you want with it as long as you don't sell copies of it. If it's just for a back up then I don't see the harm in that. Although, wouldn't there be a backup on the TellTale website?

I'm assuming it's like steam or the PSN. You can delete it but it's always there for you to re-install?
  • edited February 2011
    I guess now that I'm thinking about it. If you bought the game then you're free to do what you want with it as long as you don't sell copies of it. If it's just for a back up then I don't see the harm in that. Although, wouldn't there be a backup on the TellTale website?

I'm assuming it's like steam or the PSN. You can delete it but it's always there for you to re-install?

Pft, sure if you trust these companies to hold the games on their servers for the rest of time. Personally, nothing beats having a physical backup copy on disc as far as I'm concerned. You know? Just in case.
  • edited February 2011
    Sure you could make a backup of the install programs but you wouldn't get the benefits of the season disc such as not relying on internet activation (excepting the Wallace & Gromit disc) as well as an assortment of extras, like commentary & concept art.
  • edited February 2011
    Sure you could make a backup of the install programs but you wouldn't get the benefits of the season disc such as not relying on internet activation (excepting the Wallace & Gromit disc) as well as an assortment of extras, like commentary & concept art.

A fair point well made but of course there are legally dubious ways around that (I just mean, if you've already paid Telltale for the season).
  • edited February 2011
    i heard that there will be more episodes, like in back to the future.
    if i buy the game i will recive everytime a single episode or all at the same time?
  • edited February 2011
    Stronzo wrote: »
    i heard that there will be more episodes, like in back to the future.
    if i buy the game i will recive everytime a single episode or all at the same time?

You will receive one episode a month, if you buy the season.
  • edited February 2011
    The alternative is to wait until the season is over and then buy it. Then you can play all the episodes at your own pace. However, either way you'll be waiting around six months from the games launch to play through it all.

Personally I love preordering. I've found that monthly episode is something I really look forward too.
  • edited March 2011
    Or is it just digital?

I noticed it seemed like it did on the website.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Yep, there will be a disc available at the end of the season for just the cost of shipping. Bear in mind that they usually only prepare the disc after the release of the last episode, so it could be a couple of months after the final episode release before the disc is ready to ship.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.