First looks at JP: The Game reactions. Post yours!

Hey all. I just pre-ordered the game and I've been following it for a while. I know we've all be psyched for this since us JP fans haven't gotten a good survival game ever (TLW game goesn't count in my eyes, it was merely a dodge everything 3d side-scroller ). However there's a couple things I noticed that I figured might lead to some fun discussion.

1. Harding doesn't have his mustache. I know in another thread someone said he might have shaved after we saw him in the movie, and he did apparently have to go get his daughter.

2. Why does the T-Rex in this sound like the Rex from Dino Crisis? The JP T-Rex roar is one of the most iconic character sounds I can think of. No matter what other movie/show uses it (mainly stuff on Syfy), I always think of Jurassic Park.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    1/ That sounds like a big continuity error to me. Strange.

2/ There's a whole thread of arguing devoted to that here, please don't start another one.

3/ Glad that your looking forward to the game and welcome to the forums :)
  • edited March 2011
    The roar isn't the main subject of the argument. Those are the 2 points I found in the trailer that really struck me as off, is all.
  • edited March 2011
    The roar isn't the main subject of the argument.

How so?!
  • edited March 2011
    $5 off is not enough for me to pre-order... I am holding out to see if they sweeten the deal.... The least they could have done was give us some sneak peak at some art in a private board like they have in the past....
  • edited March 2011
    Harding doesn't have his mustache. I know in another thread someone said he might have shaved after we saw him in the movie, and he did apparently have to go get his daughter.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, after meeting Ellie, Harding immediately ran to his jeep and lost the mustache, to make sure he had a shot!!! He was in WOVE...:p;):mad:

:confused:

:mad:

BTW, he also de-aged about 10 years, his voice went up several octaves and his nose grew by about a foot, (much like Natalie Portman, although with her it took about a decade).
  • edited March 2011
    I imagine it's something to do with the fact that while they have the rights to use the character they don't have the likeness rights of the actor that played the character.
  • edited March 2011
    They may also be trying to appeal to the masses by making him younger looking.... But still older... Like a TV doctor :P
  • edited March 2011
    Well to go in order.

When I heard TellTale was making a Jurassic Park game i got excited.

When I saw the types of game TellTale made I got worried but was hopefull.

When I saw the screen shots from the game I got excited.

When I heard it was going to be like Heavy Rain I was like HELL YEAH!

When I saw the trailer I was still excited but was confused as to why the wrong roar was used for the T-Rex.

When I saw the gameplay footage I put all worries aside. Cause I like the style and story and I think it's going to be awesome.
    Irishmile wrote: »
    They may also be trying to appeal to the masses by making him younger looking.... But still older... Like a TV doctor :P

That's what I was thinking. They don't need to make him look exactly like in the movie. At leas he looks like he could be around the same age.
  • edited March 2011
    Well to go in order.

When I heard TellTale was making a Jurassic Park game i got excited.

When I saw the types of game TellTale made I got worried but was hopefull.

When I saw the screen shots from the game I got excited.

When I heard it was going to be like Heavy Rain I was like HELL YEAH!

When I saw the trailer I was still excited but was confused as to why the wrong roar was used for the T-Rex.

When I saw the gameplay footage I put all worries aside. Cause I like the style and story and I think it's going to be awesome.

Y'know, I thought that I was the biggest Jurassic Park fan of all time, but since I can't write a response better than your great posts, I'll grant you the title. :D
  • edited March 2011
    *Holds up Golden T-Rex Idol*

I would like to thank RexMaster and all the great members at the TellTale forums for this great honnor of being the biggest Jurassic Park fan of all time. I would like to thank Michael Crichton for the amazing novels. I would also like to thank Steven Spielberg and Universal and everyone else involved with the making of Jurassic Park one, two and three. I would also like to thank Hasbro for the awesome toys, Dreamworks and Ocean for the awesome games, and Universal Studios, Florida for the ride (sorry I snuck my camera on but I had to get a video of that T-Rex).

And I would like to congratulate TellTale for being able to create a game based off Jurassic Park and expand on it's universe. I can't wait to play it. I'm sure it'll be awesome. :)

.... too much? lol
  • edited March 2011
    *Holds up Golden T-Rex Idol*

I would like to thank RexMaster and all the great members at the TellTale forums for this great honnor of being the biggest Jurassic Park fan of all time. I would like to thank Michael Crichton for the amazing novels. I would also like to thank Steven Spielberg and Universal and everyone else involved with the making of Jurassic Park one, two and three. I would also like to thank Hasbro for the awesome toys, Dreamworks and Ocean for the awesome games, and Universal Studios, Florida for the ride (sorry I snuck my camera on but I had to get a video of that T-Rex).

And I would like to congratulate TellTale for being able to create a game based off Jurassic Park and expand on it's universe. I can't wait to play it. I'm sure it'll be awesome. :)

.... too much? lol

Omg, it was also an honor to see my name in ur thank you speech! You so deserved this ward WotW! U r my idol!

BTW, I take it that other guy was hating on Trespasser. All I gotta say is that, although there were a few errors generated by that game, you cant blame the fact that you never learned how to turn on your computer on the Tres team! :p
  • edited March 2011
    The teaser got me psyched, and when I found out from a developer video that it was to play similar to the like of Heavy Rain, then I was even more psyched to play it. Heavy Rain is my top fave PS3 title.

As for the roar, it didn't bother me. But my sister who was watching it along with me, right after hearing the roar, popped off and said, "That was cheesy" I asked her what was, and she responded, "The T-Rex's roar, it sounded like a wookie."
  • edited March 2011
    RexMaster for the win, just in general.
  • edited March 2011

What masses? The masses haven't noticed Jurassic Park since about 1999! :p

BTW, video game cannon and movie cannon are two different things anyway, so the game is not going to totally match what was in the films...
    RexMaster wrote: »
    BTW, I take it that other guy was hating on Trespasser. All I gotta say is that, although there were a few errors generated by that game, you cant blame the fact that you never learned how to turn on your computer on the Tres team! :p

He specifically states the "TLW game"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_World:_Jurassic_Park_%28console_game%29

which was pretty much the equivalent of being bitten on the tit by Paul Kirby while he's wearing nothing but a fluffy yellow duck costume, then developing irritation on one's nipple due to the nipple being stabbed by Paul's bristly mustache hair.
  • edited March 2011
    robotpo wrote: »

*Plays sound indicating failure to be accurate*

BTW, video game cannon and movie cannon are two different things anyway, so the game is not going to totally match what was in the films...

He specifically states the "TLW game"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_World:_Jurassic_Park_%28console_game%29

which was pretty much the equivalent of being bitten on the tit by Paul Kirby while he's wearing nothing but a fluffy yellow duck costume, then developing irritation on one's nipple due to the nipple being stabbed by Paul's bristly mustache hair.

Yes, but Trespasser is the best and most noticable for it. Also, ive been in this scenario with Paul Kirby and it was rather memorable and not too bad... Btw, did i ask for your input, ma'am?
    Davies wrote: »
    RexMaster for the win, just in general.

Davies and WaroftheWorlds... my two favorite people on these forums... EXCEPT ALAN BECAUSE HE IS THE BEST!
  • edited March 2011

that is just more of a reason to try to appeal them.
  • edited March 2011
    OMG! i almost forgot bout Irishmile in my last post! We all love him, remember? I had some posts about it on another thread... sorry for forgetting Irishmile!
  • edited March 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    *Plays sound indicating failure to be accurate*

Yes, but Trespasser is the best and most noticable for it. Also, ive been in this scenario with Paul Kirby and it was rather memorable and not too bad... Btw, did i ask for your input, ma'am?

Davies and WaroftheWorlds... my two favorite people on these forums... EXCEPT ALAN BECAUSE HE IS THE BEST!

Well, you obviously need someone's input, thing, since this entire response was inaccurate, (except for the Paul Kirby part)! :cool:
    that is just more of a reason to try to appeal them.

I don't think de-aging Gerry Harding slightly is going to matter one way or the other...what we need is a great JP4, hopefully directed by Spielberg...but that's not going to happen...
  • edited March 2011
    I fear I will see Jurassic Park 4, the same day I see ghostbusters III.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited March 2011
    $5 off is not enough for me to pre-order... I am holding out to see if they sweeten the deal.... The least they could have done was give us some sneak peak at some art in a private board like they have in the past....

I'm OK with there not being a private forum for Jurassic Park. I never liked the exclusive forum concept anyway. Game info, concept art, gameplay videos, sound samples, Q&A with the team and "stars", and last not least contests are instruments of marketing - there's absolutely no reason to put that stuff in a thread for people who have already bought the game! Price cuts and exclusive store deals, that seems to be rather valid for pre-orderers...

...which I'm not this time around. ;)
  • after watching the trailer i'm not impressed at all and won't be preordering. :(
  • edited March 2011
    after watching the trailer i'm not impressed at all and won't be preordering. :(

You must've been watching the trailer for a different game... I went to GDC in San Francisco on Wed and i will tell you, that when I played that game, even though I had already seen the gameplay online from the other SFO meeting, it was very fun to play. It therefore not only has replay value, but I found that it was true to the Jurassic Park film. I appreciate your hard work Telltale,and I am hoping some of these less understanding people will too by April! :cool:
  • edited March 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I fear I will see Jurassic Park 4, the same day I see ghostbusters III.

I know you are trying to say that both are probably not going to happen... BUT IMAGINE IF YOU DID SEE THEM ON THE SAME DAY! It would be an amazing day... one of those days that you feel like you could pants a cop and get away with it.
  • edited March 2011
    I know you are trying to say that both are probably not going to happen... BUT IMAGINE IF YOU DID SEE THEM ON THE SAME DAY! It would be an amazing day... one of those days that you feel like you could pants a cop and get away with it.

That is the damn truth.
  • edited March 2011
    that and the actors have already confirmed they are working on ghostbusters 3. so that should give you a shimer of hope.
  • edited March 2011
    All have expressed interest, apart from Bill Murray. Who has yet to read the script (his own words) :D
  • edited March 2011
    All have expressed interest, apart from Bill Murray. Who has yet to read the script (his own words) :D

Murray, is like me full of sarcasm.

But honestly, JP IV may not happen for another 8 years or so because that was the break between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull.
  • edited March 2011
    And remember in an interview Spielberg said JPIV was definitely going to happen and Indy 4 wasn't, so... Makes you think.
  • edited March 2011
    I actually met Ernie Hudson at the New Orleans Comic Con a few months ago. We asked him what it was like working with Bill Murray and the gang on Ghostbusters. He sayed they were very moody. lol One second they were all getting along and then the next second they were b*tching about something.

Hudson was cool though. He seemed like a very down to earth guy. I got a picture with him. It was awesome. lol And my brother in law got his signature.
  • edited March 2011
    Murray has always came off as a really conceited jerk.... a talented one, but still a jerk.
  • edited March 2011
    Just got back from GDC, i definately spent almost all my time trying out the different deaths in jurassic park (they're really, really entertaining most of the time). Didn't get hired this time, but i got my monkey island cd signed by dave grossman! wooooo! the interface is way different from the other telltale games but is perfectly suited for the using a controller. and I found the action sequences to be an utter delight, really can't wait for the game to drop in april.
  • edited March 2011
    My reactions upon seeing the trailer:
    GLEE! Jurassic Park looks like Jurassic Park!
    *groans* The T-rex "roar"
    PC/Mac? No PS3? :(

Fortunately, everything has been saying that they are going to try to bring it to consoles, so I still have hope. And I'll at least try the demo when it comes out. I really am going to be spending so much of the game finding all the different ways to die! :D

One thing that I've been considering...the BttF game trailer was just for Episode 1. The JP trailer and gameplay shows a lot, so is it just Episode 1? If so, then it's a very big Episode 1.
  • edited March 2011
    from what I played of the GDC, all that material might very well be for episode 1, it's really fast paced, with plenty of changing locales, and a WHOLE BUNCH of action sequences that probably make up the majority of what was seen in the trailer, even the tiny demo I played felt alot of game for that little bit.
  • edited March 2011
    So if you played can you tell us is the only way to get around with quick travel or can you walk around in the scenes?
  • edited March 2011
    sorry bud, in the current build it's just a combination of stuck in place and looking around and using the d-pad to travel between areas; it works suprisingly well for the game, all the items you'd need to interact with are visible by looking you don't really need to move around, and the lack of a coherent world map actually makes it easier for the game to continually throw action sequences your way without worrying about space needed to do so. i think you'll definately dig it when you get your hands on it, its a real change of pace for telltale, I hope they keep changin it up
  • edited March 2011
    I will give it a chance for this game.... BUT if they use this kind of gameplay for any Sam and Max, Monkey Island sequels or Kings Quest I will be pretty angry.

Just seems like a huge step backwards in the evolution of gameplay.
  • edited March 2011
    Haha amen man; and I doubt you will see anything like that happen; from what I've been able to gather about telltales new games; they've prioritized making the interfaces naturally extend from the gameplay, jurassic park has a different interface because its has a different play style that necessitated a new interface I think were gonna see each franchise adopt it's own interface tailored to the needs of the game, I doubt they'll change up the classics at all
  • edited March 2011
    pwblaine wrote: »
    sorry bud, in the current build it's just a combination of stuck in place and looking around and using the d-pad to travel between areas; it works suprisingly well for the game, all the items you'd need to interact with are visible by looking you don't really need to move around, and the lack of a coherent world map actually makes it easier for the game to continually throw action sequences your way without worrying about space needed to do so.

Can you describe more about the mechanics of the action sequences? Do you get to move the character around for those, or is movement on rails and you're just responding to directions as to what buttons/keys to press when?
  • edited March 2011
    basically I got very excited by the setting itself and all that nublar stuff.
    I think if the whole "exploration"-element of gameplay is simplified to moving the analog-stick around the scene and get every possible interaction highlighted then there should at least be room for solving puzzles or getting through the scenes in several different ways. what makes out a game is interactivity and of course it's a matter of design HOW that interaction finally looks like. but if a game is reduced to a simple watching and clicking the provided buttons in the correct order we have nothing more than a navigation like through the menu of a DVD or BluRay. that's not innovative, that's primitive.
    so for the scene with the Triceratops it would be nice if there's a different solution than using the horn of the jeep. maybe if the horn isn't used the T-Rex won't show up because he's not lured by the noise.
  • edited March 2011
    from what I played of the GDC, all that material might very well be for episode 1, it's really fast paced, with plenty of changing locales, and a WHOLE BUNCH of action sequences that probably make up the majority of what was seen in the trailer, even the tiny demo I played felt alot of game for that little bit.
    '

I know! The sequences dont seem slow at all even though it is a Telltale game or even though there is a fast travel thing and all!
    Just got back from GDC, i definately spent almost all my time trying out the different deaths in jurassic park (they're really, really entertaining most of the time). Didn't get hired this time, but i got my monkey island cd signed by dave grossman! wooooo! the interface is way different from the other telltale games but is perfectly suited for the using a controller. and I found the action sequences to be an utter delight, really can't wait for the game to drop in april.

YES! I agree that the death scenes are great! Also, I'm sorry you didn't get hired, maybe next time of you could visit thier office with a better offer at San Rafael. The action sequences were an utter delight!! :D
    I guess Telltale pulled through so far since they promised you wont have time to think and it'll actually feel like Jurassic Park. Unfortunately, for the other fans here, they cant appreciate it because they see it as unfun because of the fast-travel but it was quite the opposite!
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Can you describe more about the mechanics of the action sequences? Do you get to move the character around for those, or is movement on rails and you're just responding to directions as to what buttons/keys to press when?

No, there is no movement of the character directly, you change the screen view with the D-pad and then click a button to interact with specific things. Also, there is teh fast-travel that lets you see a whole different area by clicking there. You are also having to respond to button prompts most of the time. In later episodes they may let you walk at certain parts but I'm not complaining. This is basically a more evolved version of a Point-and-Click game, but its WAAAAYYYY more than i couldve asked for from anyone for a Jurassic Park game. I cannot wait for the release of episode one, my controller is rotting away waiting too! anyway, thank you Telltale!!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.