What do you want changed/improved for the Fall release of JP:TG.

edited June 2011 in Jurassic Park
If you haven't caught the news all over the forums, blog, Twitter, and Facebook, JP:TG was delayed...till Fall.

But this is not a negative at all.

Forum Question/Task:

Now is the time to suggests features/improvements that you would like to support for the eventual release of the game. This is the perfect time to give the haters here and from comment pages across the web a chance at seeing the game in a better/appealing light.

If you recall from my other thread, some of the criticisms included:
*Graphics
*Story
*Gameplay/Type of Game/Format
*Bugs

---
Personal Recommendations:
*Graphics - It wouldn't hurt at all to build or use a newer and more powerful engine. Now that we are in the next gen of gaming, a lot of games out there have realistic graphics that help sell a game. That isn't to say I didn't like JP:TG v.1 (This is what I'll refer to the canceled April version, "cancelled" as in it won't see the light of day as is), because I was looking forward to the game for it's story. It would actually improve the game if realistic visuals were used to parallel the movie, making it much more environmentally accurate and engaging. I think it may be time for Telltale to use a brand new engine, and Jurassic Park deserves to be it's flagship outing.
*Story - There is nothing wrong with the story. It's a new side story to the original film and expands the events of the Isla Nublar Incident. From what I could gather from it it had different characters and viewpoints and would have taken us to places seen in the film as well as new ones. I like that they had revealed over at the Insider Forum earlier this month that the Tour Vehicle would return! It is unknown how many of the concepts planned for v.1 will carry over, but what was originally offered with v.1 was a good standard.
*Gameplay - It was a split issue from what I saw. Some people liking the QTE concept being key to inducing a movie-like concept with the game, while others saw it as just an interactive movie with the pushing of correct buttons in order to advance the story. Whatever the case, now that more time is given; new/additional gameplay mechanics are a welcome addition. Especially to those who didn't like the QTE. I say bring on the new gameplay, but QTE shouldn't be completely thrown out.
*Bugs - Here's some speculation, but it's seems like a key factor in delaying the game was the trouble of getting it ready in the first place. Bugs and glitches might have been a big problem when trying to rush the game towards an April release. That isn't to say that Telltale was attempting to rush the game, but signs of this was evident in a lot of the media. Here's to hoping for a much more polished game this Fall.

Additional Notes:
A few more things to suggest to Telltale, it would be great to continue coordinating with fans on the detailing and visuals and feedback that you've been thus far listening to. We've been happy to help out where we can, and it is my hope that our feedback didn't bother you so much that you'd ignore it. The lack of exclusive stuff in the Insider forum was a let down near the end, but maintaining some sort of benefit/exclusive items for the loyal fans who are following the game could help keep the tensions better (Instead of falling to disarray as the Insider became the last month).

I'll update this post if I have any other additions to note. Please post your own thoughts and suggestions below, and hopefully we'll ave a triple A Jurassic Park game worthy of the franchise and gaming at large!

Comments

• edited April 2011
    The team will continue taking fan input and, when feasable, implement it into the final game. :)
  • edited April 2011
    What was the reason for the delay?

Some people are the complaining that the game will be too easy so I'd say add some harder game parts
  • edited April 2011
    i would like to fully controll harding in the game..like walking around and doing puzzles.
  • edited April 2011
    I noticed a glitch in one of the demo videos on youtube(in the gameplay, not the video itself), but it should be covered up by the release. I always wanted to see how the movie would be if Spinosaurus was in the park, in the place of the Trex. If I had to choose new dinosaurs, i would do just a little. Because you don't want the game to stray away from the movie.
    -Wuerhosaurus
    -Cryolophosaurus
    -Apatosaurus
    -Monolophosaurus
  • edited April 2011
    Just registered

From what i see they actually are the noble devs that do listen, that means it'l be a ton lot of easier for them.

But about the engine part you have to realize , they're just doing probably the best they're capable so ... basically giving more spare is quite a good idea.

They obviously have enthusiasm and the only matter which means the mosit is that they're trying!

most developers are hard to admit a lot of stuff or explain (which is how companies they protect their image/interests, but that's the greedy way) , but here the word "feasable" explains everything.
  • edited April 2011
    For God's sake give me the ability to MOVE.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm probably just repeating what some people said above, but what the hell...

- Different types of gameplay mechanics would be a welcome addition. Maybe also increase the difficulty on the puzzles, too.
    - Something that dissapointed me from the previews is that when we die in-game we just get a cutscene. It could be nice if deaths were more unpredictable, but I don't know if that's possible within the engine.
    - The ability to walk would be nice, although I don't mind too much personally.
    - Don't make things easy to players. If we fail over and over, make it harder! That way it will be more rewarding when we succeed. Don't try to appeal to everyone, and make people think with puzzles. Like Ron Gilbert said: "Player be damned!".
    - First-person view would be nice too, but not all the time. Maybe in climatic moments, it could add a lot to the atmosphere.
    - And now that you have time, record the soundtrack with an orchestra! :D
  • edited April 2011
    Alan, did the original game allow the player to move around the environment at all, or was it still the point and click formula, as you had movement in games like Wallace and Grommit for example and that helped to add to the games appeal, would this be something you are looking into for the new version of the game?

Do you like my image of Joe Pinney under attack from a group of raptors, because im curious as to what the staff think of it, and hope Joe doesnt hate me for making it, hehe?

Thanks for your time.
  • edited April 2011
    Stewox wrote: »
    Just registered

From what i see they actually are the noble devs that do listen, that means it'l be a ton lot of easier for them.

But about the engine part you have to realize , they're just doing probably the best they're capable so ... basically giving more spare is quite a good idea.

They obviously have enthusiasm and the only matter which means the mosit is that they're trying!

most developers are hard to admit a lot of stuff or explain (which is how companies they protect their image/interests, but that's the greedy way) , but here the word "feasable" explains everything.

Oh I defended the engine previously for time sake prior to the announcement of the delay, the game originally had a 11 month or so development cycle from it's official announcement and I justified the engine choice because of them having this and BTTF to do, so putting additional time on a brand new engine was out of the question. But now with an additional 5 months or so, more time can be placed into things like this as the majority of the content from JP v.1 is already in place.

Of course, it's not absolutely a requirement for the game this Fall, but it'd be a much welcome addition! At the very least, improve the existing Telltale Engine as much as possible with the new time given!
  • edited April 2011
    Better graphics and the ability to move and explore a little.
  • edited April 2011
    - Xbox 360 achievements
    As for roaming around, it isn't a problem for me, the demo showed you could roam a certain area at a time, like the Triceratops Paddock. So really you get the roaming option.
  • edited April 2011
    Seeing how as they are set on improving the game, I'd really hope that they improve the gameplay/interactions within the game.

There have been a lot of comparisons to "Heavy Rain," which I mylself haven't played yet (although I'd love to, I just don't happen to have a PS3), but I have played Indigo Prophecy (which is very similar). Indigo Prophecy was unique in that it combined traditional gameplay with quick-time events. This made for a unique gameplay experience and allowed the story to evolve in various ways.

This type of branching storyline would greatly improve Jurassic Park's gameplay. Maybe you get off the island, maybe you don't... Perhaps the manner in which you get off the island, or the paths you take to reach your destination differ (the point is, you'd have many options). I would love to be given the options: where do you go?, what do you do?, how do you do it?

As we've seen from the revealed gameplay: Dr. Harding, Sarah, and the Merc are driving through the park in a Jeep. They arrive at the Triceratops paddock to discover that the gate is open, blocking their path. Perhaps in addition to the logical, close the gate, scenario, maybe you decide to go on foot... Do you follow the road, or cut through the paddock? Maybe there's another option?

I would love more gameplay options, a branching storyline, and multiple endings. After all, there's really no point in implementing quick-time events if those events don't have an alternative to: too slow, you died <<CHECKPOINT>> do over... Obviously some would end up like that, but others could be that you end up on an alternate story branch, or the plan you had chosen to follow is no longer an option. The Jeep is wrecked... now you're on foot (this event should be a possibility, not a certainty).
  • edited April 2011
    REDSLATE wrote: »
    Seeing how as they are set on improving the game, I'd really hope that they improve the gameplay/interactions within the game.

There have been a lot of comparisons to "Heavy Rain," which I mylself haven't played yet (although I'd love to, I just don't happen to have a PS3), but I have played Indigo Prophecy (which is very similar). Indigo Prophecy was unique in that it combined traditional gameplay with quick-time events. This made for a unique gameplay experience and allowed the story to evolve in various ways.

This type of branching storyline would greatly improve Jurassic Park's gameplay. Maybe you get off the island, maybe you don't... Perhaps the manner in which you get off the island, or the paths you take to reach your destination differ (the point is, you'd have many options). I would love to be given the options: where do you go?, what do you do?, how do you do it?

As we've seen from the revealed gameplay: Dr. Harding, Sarah, and the Merc are driving through the park in a Jeep. They arrive at the Triceratops paddock to discover that the gate is open, blocking their path. Perhaps in addition to the logical, close the gate, scenario, maybe you decide to go on foot... Do you follow the road, or cut through the paddock? Maybe there's another option?

I would love more gameplay options, a branching storyline, and multiple endings. After all, there's really no point in implementing quick-time events if those events don't have an alternative to: too slow, you died <<CHECKPOINT>> do over... Obviously some would end up like that, but others could be that you end up on an alternate story branch, or the plan you had chosen to follow is no longer an option. The Jeep is wrecked... now you're on foot (this event should be a possibility, not a certainty).

"Dr. Harding, Sarah Jess (Second Daughter), and the Merc Nima (The Smuggler) are driving through the park in a Jeep."

As for Heavy Rain, Telltale themselves stated they would use it as inspiration for the format of the game.

To be honest, the only time I've experienced QTE's are personally in Force Unleashed and Gears of War (IE: Chainsaw battles/Boss battles).
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for the corrections :)

I should also mention the occurance of player death. It would be GREAT if the death of a character did not end the game (obviously people died in the movie). This would however alter the path of the game. So Dr. Harding dies... the game's not over yet. Jess still has to try to get off the island! Now she'll be sad about the death of her father, perhaps distracted much of the time, but she has to be a trooper and tough it out. Maybe the Smuggler dies? Oh well, she was here to do harm anyway. No one liked her. Maybe Jess dies? Now Dr. Harding is furious. He takes it out on the Smuggler and blames her for the incident! All sorts of story changes could occur...

Consider it...

But seriously: Force Unleashed? Gears? those aren't the best examples of "Quick-Time-Events." Also, their story lines are linear.
  • edited April 2011
    I wanna be able to actually control my character and make him walk around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited April 2011
    I found the controls in BTTF to be a bit awkward. It was frustrating to always randomly walk into parked cars, and get stuck behind signs/posts. If walking is incorporated into JP:TG, some tweeking is definitely needed.
  • edited April 2011
    Chameleon-like Carnotaurs:

carnotaurus5.jpg

Plesiosaurs:
    focus_plesiosaur.jpg

Dimetrodon:
    dimetrodon-1.jpg

Therizinosaur:
    therizinosaurus_cheloniformis2-web.gif

The Jurassic Park Jungle River Cruise & Pteratops Lodge, (shown on slides in background of lunch scene in original film...links from another thread, posted by Dr. Dino):

- The river adventure ride entrance;
    - The river adventure ride;
    - The Pteratops lodge.
  • edited April 2011
    Really the biggest thing I would have wanted changed was the ability to walk around.. But I was willing to give their method a try before I REALLY started whining about it.
  • edited April 2011
    This probably doesnt even matter as i dont know how long the game is going to be, but i hope they make the episodes longer than the bttf episodes (bttf is the only other telltale game ive played so i dont know if their length is average for their games) Its a good game and i have a lot of fun playing but it just feels like im just getting into the episode when it ends and its time to wait for the next.
  • edited April 2011
    The only thing that really bothered me in the videos shown of the gameplay was the pauses inbetween cutscnes. So I really just want them to make sure that the game has as little bugs as possible. I'm hoping for no pauses in between cuts during the gameplay, I'm hoping for no pop-ins (like Dr. Harding Zooming off in one of the videos I saw). Basicly, as little bugs as possible.

As for the graphics, I didn't really have a problem with them. But I guess since they have more time that going in a doing some touch up wouldn't hurt. Perhaps make the charactes more fluid in their motions as well.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm hoping for a more non-linear experience, roaming option offered a good portion of the time. Also, would be awesome if Dodgson were to show up!
  • edited April 2011
    I wonder if it isn't too much to expect major changes like better graphics, different gameplay mechanics, or direct control of player character? As much as I would like especially the latter two, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I mean, for all we know the delay is caused by technical problems just getting what they already planned working right. I know the delay sounds like a long time, like it might be in for an overhaul instead of just tweaking. But remember they've got quite a lot in development right now. It's possible they only need, say, 6 weeks of additional time from the full team, but if those people are already scheduled to contribute to other projects, those six weeks have to be spread out over 5+ months. In other words, it's not necessarily a given that the current team is going to continue to work on JP full time between now and fall release.

I don't think a serious overhaul is out of the question, though. We haven't seen all that many playable scenes in action, and usually with staff spewing marketing-speak in the background. It's possible they brought in some kind of focus group to playtest and the audience was underwhelmed, bored, and/or didn't get the controls, and a major re-design was the only way to go. Who knows?

I think changes to the story and characters are the least likely possibility; those were probably approved by Universal early in the process.
  • edited April 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    I wonder if it isn't too much to expect major changes like better graphics, different gameplay mechanics, or direct control of player character? As much as I would like especially the latter two, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I mean, for all we know the delay is caused by technical problems just getting what they already planned working right. I know the delay sounds like a long time, like it might be in for an overhaul instead of just tweaking. But remember they've got quite a lot in development right now. It's possible they only need, say, 6 weeks of additional time from the full team, but if those people are already scheduled to contribute to other projects, those six weeks have to be spread out over 5+ months. In other words, it's not necessarily a given that the current team is going to continue to work on JP full time between now and fall release.

I don't think a serious overhaul is out of the question, though. We haven't seen all that many playable scenes in action, and usually with staff spewing marketing-speak in the background. It's possible they brought in some kind of focus group to playtest and the audience was underwhelmed, bored, and/or didn't get the controls, and a major re-design was the only way to go. Who knows?

I think changes to the story and characters are the least likely possibility; those were probably approved by Universal early in the process.

I completely agree with you
  • edited April 2011
    REDSLATE wrote: »

I was going to post about how I would pre-order Jurassic Park if it were more similar to Heavy Rain, and this post summarizes that fairly well. I don't want to pre-order Jurassic Park if I'm just going to get a machinima that makes me push buttons every so often. I want the button I press to have a real effect on the characters and storyline, beyond a character dying sometimes and making me try pressing the button again.
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2011
    This probably doesnt even matter as i dont know how long the game is going to be, but i hope they make the episodes longer than the bttf episodes (bttf is the only other telltale game ive played so i dont know if their length is average for their games) Its a good game and i have a lot of fun playing but it just feels like im just getting into the episode when it ends and its time to wait for the next.

BTTF is easier than the average Telltale game, so you are likely to beat an episode of BTTF sooner than would beat an episode from another one of Telltale's series. Unless Jurassic Park is as easy/easier than BTTF, the length of the game should seem longer. Not all of Telltale's episodic games seem as short.
  • edited April 2011
    I feel like lasting character deaths would make a better JP game. Imagine the thrill when there are dinos around any corner and too many mistakes in one encounter ends that character. And replay value. Not sure how it would work with episodic gaming, though.

Also, direct char control is a must.
  • edited April 2011
    HooblaDGN wrote: »
    I feel like lasting character deaths would make a better JP game. Imagine the thrill when there are dinos around any corner and too many mistakes in one encounter ends that character. And replay value. Not sure how it would work with episodic gaming, though.

Also, direct char control is a must.
    The thing with animations are that eventually they do get old, after seeing they multiple times over and over. But I agree with having unique ones, they are the ones you always look for (Similar to rare dialogue lines in video games).
  • edited April 2011
    When I play a game I like full control over my game character, example "king Kong" by Peter Jackson the game.

Could you modify your GAMING ENGINE so Jurassic Park could be in surperb quality, CryEngine3 and UnReal Engine3 are Awesome gaming engines. I would like to see physic with Jurassic Park, Hovak Physics!

Could you put a CINEMATIC EFFECT in the game! I do not like things to look PLASTIC in GamePlay. Jurassic Park is it going to benefit from Multi-Core Processors like the 4 and 6 core! This game should have EXTREME REALISM in GamePlay, I would like to see when a dinosaur smashes you or bites you blood should squirt from the body! This is for the PC Version!

Question: The people that have hard Core gaming system are they going to benefit from this game, From those people that have system requirement gaming systems, like in visuals!
    Enable the XBOX 360 controller if so could players configure there own settings to the gamepad! DX11 if possible!
  • edited April 2011
    CryEngine 3 would be the way to go if using a new engine. But i really doubt this can be done in 6 months.
  • edited April 2011
    ezjohny wrote: »
    When I play a game I like full control over my game character, example "king Kong" by Peter Jackson the game.

Could you modify your GAMING ENGINE so Jurassic Park could be in surperb quality, CryEngine3 and UnReal Engine3 are Awesome gaming engines. I would like to see physic with Jurassic Park, Hovak Physics!

Could you put a CINEMATIC EFFECT in the game! I do not like things to look PLASTIC in GamePlay. Jurassic Park is it going to benefit from Multi-Core Processors like the 4 and 6 core! This game should have EXTREME REALISM in GamePlay, I would like to see when a dinosaur smashes you or bites you blood should squirt from the body! This is for the PC Version!

Question: The people that have hard Core gaming system are they going to benefit from this game, From those people that have system requirement gaming systems, like in visuals!
    Enable the XBOX 360 controller if so could players configure there own settings to the gamepad! DX11 if possible!

You are being sarcastic right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, there are a few thing I'd love to see changed/improved:

- Having the ability to walk around / more exploring (cause I cant see how the April version could evoke suspense plus I still want to explore/walk around in nostalgic movie sets)

- better graphics (Not CryEngine 3 obviously, but please update the engine beyond PS2-Standart. Hatin to be a graphics whore but this is Jurassic park, it deserves the best graphics possible within the given budget)

- better and more fluent animation of the characters
  • edited April 2011
    I still don't think being able to walk around is necessary. "OH LOOK!!! I can walk the few feet to that door over there!" Coming from a group who love adventure games (A genre that largely consist of point and click) I find it surprising that you don't want a more traditional way of playing.

I can understand the want to control your character and explore. But look at how small each puzzle area is. True, we've only seen a few area in the game but they were small areas. And just look at BTTF. I don't see the big deal of having to control Marty in those small areas when it would just be easier to just point and click in the area that he has to go. Same with Jurassic Park.

And I doubt that Telltale would go in and rebuild the game just so you can walk around a few feet to look at stuff when all you need to do is point and click.
  • edited April 2011
    I don't want to walk around every scene and I like the way woroftheworlds01 has described it, however I would just like to walk around the main building as it looks so awesome and there is so much to look at it just seems right, I want to explore it and see what the cafe is like and the computer rooms and have funny little comments from the staff when I enter there rooms.

One other suggestion:
    Who remembers The Curse of Monkey Island, well when you used to start that game you had a choice of the standard puzzles or the mega monkey mode which had harder puzzles and less time in timed section making the whole game harder. I think this would work really well in telltale games as new players could play the game with standard puzzles and veterans could play it with the harder puzzles. Technically there the same but you might have 2 or 3 extra items in your inventory and have a few extra things to click on, so I don't think it would be that hard to do but it would please everyone.

I also like some of the suggestion of people permanently dying however this could be in the harder mode and you could give people 3 chances/lives in the easier mode so as not to put off new players.

Just some thoughts and ideas.
  • edited April 2011
    I still don't think being able to walk around is necessary. "OH LOOK!!! I can walk the few feet to that door over there!" Coming from a group who love adventure games (A genre that largely consist of point and click) I find it surprising that you don't want a more traditional way of playing.

I can understand the want to control your character and explore. But look at how small each puzzle area is. True, we've only seen a few area in the game but they were small areas. And just look at BTTF. I don't see the big deal of having to control Marty in those small areas when it would just be easier to just point and click in the area that he has to go. Same with Jurassic Park.

And I doubt that Telltale would go in and rebuild the game just so you can walk around a few feet to look at stuff when all you need to do is point and click.

Well, you against pretty much everyone else! ;)

I dont think they need to rebuild the whole game for that!

Edit: As Sallymerret22 said, dont need to walk around in every scene, just in important movie sets or bigger areas with more to see
  • edited April 2011
    I hope it would be multilanguage, including not only German and French, but also (at least) Spanish and Italian (the typical European Multi-5)
  • edited April 2011
    To be realistic, I think its just bugfixing and making the existing game more fluent with maybe a bit more branching QTEs. I think it would be wise not to set expectations too high now!
  • edited April 2011

You're totally missing the point. There is nothing traditional about having ad hoc on-screen prompts as the sole mechanism to control your character. It's not about being able to walk a few feet from the jeep to the door in a single scene. It's about being able to move through multiple scenes, as the player decides how s/he wants to explore the environment. BTTF is the worst possible reference point from which to be arguing, as it is set in a very small game-world compared to most good adventure games. The best adventure games often had a dozen or more scenes, with puzzle elements distributed throughout so that you had to discover them through exploration.

You say "look at how small each puzzle area is" -- well that's exactly why JP isn't particularly attractive to long-time adventure gamers. Wanting to control the character follows from wanting an explorable game-world, it's not the end in itself. (Whether control is point-and-click or keyboard or thumbstick is irrelevant, as long as it's implemented properly.)

We've had this conversation before, months ago, and you still have no idea what you're talking about when you try to characterize adventure games and adventure gamers. If your preference is for small puzzle areas that you traverse on rails, that's fine, it's a matter of taste. But your contention that your preference represents the "traditional" way is just absurd.
  • edited April 2011
    I am a gamer since nearly two decades and i played every genre.
    I understand the adventure-purists as well as the high-end graphic-lovers.

Ever since Jurassic Park came to the cinemas i dreamed about a really good JP game. Trespasser was nice and technically good for that time. OP Genesis had nice graphics. When Crysis 1 came out there were a group working on a JP mod (until today it has not been released).

When discovering JP The Game i had mixed feelings because the graphics and game mechanics did not look like 2011 but it is an adventure and it IS an JP Game.

Getting a JP game on the grahic-level of Crysis with very large depth of field and really well animated Dinosaurs will still remain a dream, but you never now what TTG actually tweaks now...
  • edited April 2011
    -first of all let us control our character,free roam and find secret items ,easter eggs and stuff like that...this should be in third person perspective not point and click ,because the island is beautiful and i want to see it from 360 degrees perspective, not from fixed camera angles.
    -the graphics could use some improvement,especially the character models and dynamics .
    -make the episodes longer,not just 2 hours long like BTTF .
  • edited April 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    You are being sarcastic right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, there are a few thing I'd love to see changed/improved:

- Having the ability to walk around / more exploring (cause I cant see how the April version could evoke suspense plus I still want to explore/walk around in nostalgic movie sets)

- better graphics (Not CryEngine 3 obviously, but please update the engine beyond PS2-Standart. Hatin to be a graphics whore but this is Jurassic park, it deserves the best graphics possible within the given budget)

- better and more fluent animation of the characters
    I hope so, cause Jurassic Park was never about blood. For the most part character death scenes in the movie themselves rarely showed it in detail and was generally vague and would cut to another scene during.

JP:TG will not be rated M on my account!
  • edited April 2011
    TorQue wrote: »
    -first of all let us control our character,free roam and find secret items ,easter eggs and stuff like that...this should be in third person perspective not point and click ,because the island is beautiful and i want to see it from 360 degrees perspective, not from fixed camera angles.
    -the graphics could use some improvement,especially the character models and dynamics .
    -make the episodes longer,not just 2 hours long like BTTF .

In other words, make it a AAA video-game title. That would be ideal. Full 360-degree character and camera control in a complex, explorable environment. Neither a shooter nor a pure P&C adventure.

But I don't think that was ever on the table, and as I said in my first post I'm not convinced this delay is going to produce anything radically different from what we've already seen. :(

It occurs to me, though, that the disappointment of not getting that kind of game in April is now going to be exponentially greater if we don't get a vastly improved game come fall. I hope Telltale has considered that.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.