LucasArts/Telltale - When dreams come true

If Telltale bought from LEC the rights to make a sequel, which one would you like most?
Maniac Mansion 3? Monkey Island 5? THE REAL Monkey Island 3? Indiana Jones and whoknowswhat (but a GRAPHIC ADVENTURE)?
This thread isn't obviously dedicated to any Telltale member, I'm not asking anything 'cause I know I won't get an answer :D
All of the other ones start daydreaming!!!

Comments

• edited September 2006
    You must really hate yourself to start a thread like this.

My choice would be Maniac Mansion 3/Day of the Tentacle 2. It's easily the most open-ended series, and Dave Grossman is Telltale's Senior Designer to boot.
  • edited September 2006
    Something involving Maniac Mansion. I would like something involving the characters from Day of the Tentacle.
  • edited September 2006
    You must really hate yourself to start a thread like this.

My choice would be Maniac Mansion 3/Day of the Tentacle 2. It's easily the most open-ended series, and Dave Grossman is Telltale's Senior Designer to boot.

Well, the imminent release of S&M has woke up my masochist side :p
    I'd choose MM3/DOTT2 too, also if the one I wish most is Monkey Island 3 made by Ron Gilbert... I don't even consider EMI and CMI as official sequels, even if they're made by LEC.
    Anyway, DOTT is probably the one that's already got a small trace to be continued: Purple was sent to Syberia and swore for revenge.
    The other games (MI4 aside) don't seem to have a potential sequel, or at least not as clear as a Maniac Mansion 3.
  • edited September 2006
    you don't consider CMI a sequal? i like cmi the best out of all MI games... i don't consider EMI a sequal as it's a poor attempt at making a 3D cartoon game... whitch is preety hard... or atleast it was hard when EMI came out...

Matt
  • edited September 2006
    I'm not saying CMI wasn't good (my favourite is MI2, anyway), just saying it's clear that it's not a proper sequel for 2 brilliant games made by Ron Gilbert. Take CMI alone, it was wonderful. Take it as a sequel of LeChuck's Revenge and see lots of stuff never explained, just ignored to go on with the story. Monkey Island 1 and 2 were dedicated to a certain public, CMI was more commercial, more cartoonish,
    more... childlike, I'd say.
    Ron Gilbert knows how MI3 should be, he always told MI was planned to be a trilogy (so YES, EMI shouldn't even exist). He also told there were some big mistakes in CMI.
    However, it would take another thread to speak about this, so never mind :)
    I just hope to see the real Monkey3 once.
  • edited September 2006
    Ahh, the official glimmer of hope from July 2006;

(Source);
    GI: A lot of those LucasArts franchises are still very popular – you spoke about Day of the Tentacle. Is there a chance you’ll be able to wrangle a few more of those away for more episodes? Are you working on that at all?

Connors: It’s definitely on our minds and it’s definitely something we think about. Maybe I can give you more information a while from now. It’s definitely something that makes good sense to everybody. For them it’s the same thing. For them it’s "What’s the business model? What’s the retail model?" It’s not their type of game – it’s not Star Wars, it’s not with the movie, with the lightsaber – an action game. When trying to do the two things at the same time it makes it challenging. They’ve been trying to figure out the right solution, and hopefully Telltale is part of it.

:D
  • edited September 2006
    FINGERS CROSSED!!! ;)
    As the guys from mixnmojo said, it would be definitely weird to see something like DOTT2/a, DOTT2/b, DOTT2/z being released, but who cares, after all? Doc and Bernard have been dead for too long!
  • edited September 2006
    Good thread! though you forgot some other good games, like Grim Fandango, for example.

Anyway, if i'd had to choose i'd definetly go for the secuel to Day of the Tentacle. That one and Sam and Max remain as my favourite graphic adventure games ever.
  • edited September 2006
    Well, I didn't mention GF because I think it's REALLY over. As Bill Tiller said, it would be like doing a sequel for Orson Welles' Citizen Kane :))
    Speaking of other games, it would be possible (Full Throttle, The Dig(?!?!?), even Zak McKracken) but I'm sure DOTT is the best one to focus on in the case of a deal!
    And it looks like lots of people here think the same...
    Hope you're reading this, Telltale boys! :D
  • edited September 2006
    DOTT is perfect the way it is. It's a game that wouldn't really do well with a sequel.
    Full Throttle on the other hand would be awesome
  • edited September 2006
    Look at the similarities between Maniac Mansion and DOTT (Hint: There aren't any). The MM series has the most potential to continue because it really doesn't have to adhere to any rules. I think Full Throttle on the other hand is best left alone. The story was told, no point risking a game that doesn't live up to the characters. (I'd make the same argument for Grim, only it's infinitely more the case with Grim.)
  • edited September 2006
    Full Throttle could be the coolest adventure game there is. It would be awesome to have a TellTaleâ„¢ 'sequel' for it. The athmosphere in that game is something any game could learn something from.
  • edited September 2006
    I'd like to see another DOTT game.
    Full throttle wouldn't be bad but it can't have Ben in it. That character died with Roy Conrad.
    Just like how Troy McClure died with Phil Hartman
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Look at the similarities between Maniac Mansion and DOTT (Hint: There aren't any).

Except for the actual structure of the games! In both games you play as 3 teenagers from different classic-teenager walks of life (though in DOTT they're of course more exaggerated), the puzzle solving is split between those three characters, and the game is solved by all of those puzzles interweaving to effectively become one giant epic puzzle. DOTT does it all with a lot more grace, humor, polished visual design, and tighter puzzles, but they're both pretty similar structurally.
  • edited September 2006
    DOTT is perfect the way it is. It's a game that wouldn't really do well with a sequel.
    Full Throttle on the other hand would be awesome

I don't think so, remember the DOTT final and answer yourself.
    It's obvious that LEC left that door open, isn't it? Sure, they smashed every door before us and every good graphic adventure, now.
    Full Throttle 2? Possible to do but unlikely to choose.
    Unless you choose to keep one or two characters and let a brand new story begin (a poor excuse as "Ripburger's alive because he fell down on a river" would makes us all laugh), in some other State and totally separated from the first game. Men, it would be cool!!
    If we think about it well, the same thing's happening with Sam & Max (MORE OR LESS).
    Since they're cops (and due to the dementially-creative nature of Sam & Max), it just takes some imagination to invent something new, fresh and never seen before, lots of other quests and stories can be told!
    Except for the actual structure of the games! In both games you play as 3 teenagers from different classic-teenager walks of life (though in DOTT they're of course more exaggerated), the puzzle solving is split between those three characters, and the game is solved by all of those puzzles interweaving to effectively become one giant epic puzzle. DOTT does it all with a lot more grace, humor, polished visual design, and tighter puzzles, but they're both pretty similar structurally.
    Your enthusiasm is encouraging, Jake! :D
  • edited September 2006
    Look at the similarities between Maniac Mansion and DOTT (Hint: There aren't any).

You couldn't be more right, Jake, but besides exaggerating I wasn't talking structurally (which I should have clarified). What I was getting at was that unlike say, Full Throttle or Grim Fandango, which would be a bit more difficult to continue for obvious reasons, DOTT proved that the Maniac Mansion series just doesn't have that kind of baggage. While some characters from the original made a return, the two games are night and day. DOTT doesn't even seem to exist in the same universe as MM. It has a different brand of humor and vastly different inspirations (saturday morning cartoons as opposed to horror/scifi b-movies). Yet it was relentlessly successful and somehow still distinctly a Maniac Mansion game. Like Sam & Max, but for different reasons, it just seems to me that there's a lot more freedom than other licenses...the series somehow dodges the need to be faithful to its predecessors' style (not that I would mind seeing a "Day of the Tentacle 2").

I totally agree with everything you said about the game's core formula. You gotta have a team of characters who work together to solve effectively one giant puzzle in a confined but complex setting. But as far as what the excuse is to put those characters in that setting, where that setting is, and the general direction the game takes, there's no boundary.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Ah I see what you're saying. Yes.
  • edited September 2006
    dott originally was going to have 6 characters..maniac mansion 3 could focus on the other 3 characters.. I think it would be kool if they went even further into the future..with a new mansion.. of course I dont see there being any chance of lucasarts giving telltale the rights..i mean they cancelled freelance police!! maybe if season 1 is enormously successful they may be persuaded..but I aint gettin my hopes up
  • edited September 2006
    A Maniac Mansion game without Bernard? Please, no! :((
  • edited September 2006
    I wouldn't mind seeing what happens between Ben and Maureen in Full Throttle. I think there's still a lot which can be done with that license. Even if it appeared appeared around a decade ago and hasn't been spoken about for about as long.

The Maniac Mansion games seem to me to be an interesting choice for episodic games. Imagine it: three teenagers (preferably the ones from Day of the Tentacle but maybe occasional cameos from MM) go around and have bizarre little adventures in and around a great big weird mansion occupied by a mad scientist! It's like one of those cheesy 80's cartoon shows made into a game.

Monkey Island. Seriously, someone get Ron Gilbert and tell him to do whatever he likes, just make the final game. He can ignore the last two games if he likes (write them off as a crazy dream or something) or he can include them, but Guybrush needs just one more final definitive outing. And it's very important that it's Ron who finishes it all. What with the whole Pirates of the Caribbean craze goin' on it might even be considered financially viable!

As for Grim Fandango: NO, NO, OH GOD NO. Don't spoil the sacred name of Manuel Calavera by squeezing him out of where ever he is now and forcing him to somehow do another game. And there's no way in hell I want to play another Grim Fandango game without Manny as the main character. Except of course Glottis. But that wouldn't be a full new game. Maybe a sequence of episodic games under the GF title headed by different characters so we can see what they're doing now or what they did before and during the game time.
  • edited September 2006
    The continuing adventures of Zak McKraken?
  • edited September 2006
    The continuing adventures of Zak McKraken?

That too. Tell you the truth, I haven't ever gotten around to finishing Zak McKracken. Maybe when I've finished this enormous mound of other games. But seeing as I've just won an auction for Discworld Noir and my preordered copy of Resi 4 for PC will be sent tomorrow, it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon...
  • edited September 2006
    Pvt._Public, your words sound like sweet music to my ears, I totally agree with everything you just said (but go finishing Zak now!!!).
    1) Make Maniac Mansion 3/DOTT 2;
    2) Visit www.grumpygamer.com and engage mr. Ron Gilbert;
    3) Let Manny R.I.P., I think he deserves it after all.
  • edited September 2006
    My vote goes to MM3. The last thing I want to see now, is another MI-copy. I got tired of EMI.

If the licence ever goes to Ron, then sure, bring it on!:)
  • edited September 2006
    These threads are fun. I'd like to see Telltale have at least one more series going before anything like this, but I think new Maniac Mansion or Full Throttle games could be potentially great. As has been said before Maniac Mansion provides so much flexibility (though I think the mansion itself and probably the Edisons need to be included in some form) while Full Throttle has an incredibly cool lead character and setting. While Full Throttle works extremely well self-contained I don't think that's really a problem, certainly not as much as it is with Grim Fandango; the events of Full Throttle aren't really portrayed as the defining arc of Ben's life the way Manny's journey is in Grim Fandango; I could definitely see Ben and the polecats getting involved in a lot of other worthwhile things without tainting the orginal game. Roy Conrad and finding a way of maintaining the game's emotional core (mainly seen in the relationship between Ben and Maureen) would be the most major obstacles.

I'd love to see the Dig revisited with its artstyle, musical approach, atmosphere and concept folded into a better realised game. It would be perfect episodically, with each episode charting a different day spent exploring the alien world.
  • edited September 2006
    An episodic new The Dig series would be interesting, though it's the game that inspires me less for a sequel.
    Don't forget it would take Spielberg's support to do something really special.
    Doing it without his help would be someway like doing another Monkey Island without Ron Gilbert: a big mistake, as we've already seen before.
  • edited September 2006
    An episodic The Dig could be something similar to Lost, the TV-series. That could be interesting. Let's hope something like that will come when TellTale expands after the huge success it will be.
  • edited September 2006
    And let's hope they'll make something actually new, they're talented so I think they could also think about making a game that's not the sequel of another one or that doesn't take a license to be done. A lot of these guys worked for LucasArts, and the others are sure as good.
    So I do expect to see some hat tricks. At least, I wish.
  • edited September 2006
    That's what I meant actually, wrote it wrong. I meant an episodic game similar to The Dig, as in some sort of otherwordly mystery that a team of people uncover, slowly unraveling the mystery via each episode - much like Lost.
  • edited September 2006
    When did my current status turn into "Yakster", anyway?
  • edited September 2006
    DOTT doesn't even seem to exist in the same universe as MM.

Maybe, but MM does exist in DOTT's universe. Precisely, inside Wierd Ed's Computer. ;)
  • edited September 2006
    Another dott game would be interesting if you could be purple and green tentacle.

Hmm I don't think I finished zak mckracken (sp?) either. I got to the part just after getting to the planet and got stuck. I didn't have the internet back in those days so I couldn't look up some hints. I wonder why I didn't go back and finish it though.... probably started playing indiana jones, loom or one of the other games instead.
  • edited September 2006
    Another dott game would be interesting if you could be purple and green tentacle.

I never thought about it before!
    A "jump to" standard command replacing the good old "walk to" would be exhilarating if we still had the good old SCUMM.

Or you're meaning that another DOTT game would be interesting only if I was Purple and Green Tentacle.
    I'll do what I can, guys!
  • edited September 2006
    err.. yes of course. :-/

but if YOU the player took the role of purple and green.... sure it was fun playing as the other guys but being a vallain in an adventure game would be new. It would have to be a comedy still to keep things light. I'd be a little weary of a csi game where you were the killer and you have to cover up your tracks.
  • edited September 2006
    Whew, I was lucky you didn't want me to become a tentacle, I'm so attached to my legs :))
    Jokes aside, it's not a bad idea, you know?
    But I think it'd be wiser to try these kind of experiments with new games... You must always watch your step when you're about to apply big changes like this to a series like Maniac Mansion.
  • edited September 2006
    Here are a few funny quotes that I found while looking for info on the game.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203441/quotes
  • edited September 2006
    Bernard: How's Dr. Fred?
    Nurse Edna Edison: He's doing much better now that he's stopped sleepwalking.
    Bernard: How did he stop sleepwalking?
    Nurse Edna Edison: He stopped sleeping.

I forgot this one, it's made me laugh out loud right now!
  • edited September 2006
    The Dig could be done. Though there would have to one major change from the original game: Make any new games not mind numbingly boring.

I said it. Uh-huh. I really, REALLY wanted to like The Dig. I played it all the way through. But somehow it seemed more like a chore than enjoyment. It was so... lifeless. I know that's what the designers were going for, but there were a few small sections where something interesting or engaging was happening, and a huge busload of boring wandering around and clicking on things in the hope that they would solve puzzles. And none of the characters were interesting or even particularily unstereotypical (Is that a word? No? Well it is now) until the last 10 or so minutes of the game.

I mean (and I'm taking this from fuzzy memories of a game I haven't even seen for 3 years) wasn't one of them a german? While this in itself isn't bad, the fact that he turned out to be an evil german scientist or something similar is pretty bad. And the main guy was a perfect All American Hero? Wait, don't go forgetting the tough as nails, sassy yet smart heroine who ends up falling in love with the lead character. And in the end the lead saves the day, stops the German from being evil (and makes him totally subservient to his mighty American ways) and gets away with the gal.

Filthy American Capitalist propaganda is what it all is! Mother Russia! Mother Russia! All hail the ghost of comrade Lenin!

*Cough*. Sorry. Don't know what just came over me.
  • edited September 2006
    Without any doubt, it's the graphic adventure I liked least.
    Speaking about LucasArts' ones, of course.
    I never played it again, it totally lacked of humour. Though it was a "serious" adventure, I need to smile sometimes while I play. It was boring, you're right.
  • edited September 2006
    THE DIG. I finished it with a walkthrough...it sucked, really bad. None of the characters were memorable AT ALL! I can't even remember their names. What were they thinking? Definitely devoid of any life. I can't even remember what the plot was. The colour scheme was also extremely garish - orange, orange, orange, grey, humour here and there, grey, yellow tinkly light somewhere, purple, orange...standard sprites for the characters, nope. Didn't like it. But I played it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.