Borderlands 3 News Thread: Releasing 13/09/2019 PS4, XONE and EGS, Borderlands GOTY Out Now

Comments

• Well I already know Claptrap is getting recasted, as David Eddings, who used to work for Gearbox, has had a huge falling out with Randy and basically called him a con-man at one point. Borderlands VR had a new voice for Claptrap to explain the new mechanics, so it’s likely that whoever voiced him for that will probably voice him in BL3.

I can’t speak for other voice actors, but the only reason I can see why Gearbox or whoever is responsible for that didn’t go after Troy was because they thought he would be too expensive. This is Gearbox after all, wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to cut costs where they could. I think others like Ashly Burch will return for Tiny Tina, if not that they’re just too iconic for BL’s fans not to get their voice actors back, but as for the Tales cast, you’re probably right. If they didn’t get Troy, I doubt they got Laura Bailey or Chris Hardwick. The only one I could see coming back would be Erin Yvette for Sasha, mainly because, and I mean this as no disrespect to Erin as I think she’s very talented, she’s not as high profile as the others.

lupinb0y posted: »

Yeah I doubt they got any of the other voice actors if they couldn't be bothered to get Troy back, and if they did then that'd be kinda messed up if they just didn't get Troy.

• You can hear the sadness in his voice here, and while he doesn’t outright say it, he’s basically saying “Screw you Gearbox” and I can’t blame him. As you said, he absolutely loved Rhys and hoped for the chance to play as him again, but it seems like Gearbox didn’t even bother reaching out to him because the trailer caught him completely by surprise.

I also loved how he stood up for the other Telltale Borderlands characters and their actors/actresses. It wasn’t just about him and Rhys, he knows the fans love the characters and want to hear the people who played them come back and do it again.

It’s not too late Gearbox, after how much you’ve pissed off fans the last week, it would be a good faith gesture to go and bring back Rhys and the other Tales actors/actresses to try and win back some favor.

iFoRias posted: »

Someone asked Troy and it's pretty much confirmed they recasted Rhys with some other dude he's not happy about this,i feel so bad for him be

• edited April 2019

I feel so bad for Troy Baker. Seeing him do other streams and streaming Tales, its incredibly obvious he really loved playing Rhys (and also Im 99% sure he said in one stream Rhys was his favorite to voice of everyone hes played which he thinks would surprise most people it wasnt Joel)

Also what he said is how I feel too. As a fan, keep the same voices. If the voice actors all want in, let them in. Dont just go "recast time!" especially when they are characters people really loved and had a whole game about them (not to mention the fact leaks confirm Rhys is going to have a big role in BL3, so its not like Rhys was just going to have a really small cameo with 5 lines, hes a pretty big hitter this game)

Just really disappointing. For one that means the chances of the rest of the Tales cast very likely will also be recasted. If we are lucky and Sasha is in the game Erin Yvette will still voice her because I have a feeling its because Gearbox is cheap as fuck and Erin isnt as high profile as Laura Bailey, Troy, and Chris Hardwick.

This was also the first time I think I've seen someone who was recasted speak so passionately about it outside of just like 3 tweets. Really sucks you can tell how much he wanted to do Rhys again.

• Claptrap is getting recasted

I actually didn't know this. I just looked it up and the new voice sounds really close to the original.

And yeah you're right, it's probably cheaper to just to recast him. But I feel like they at the very least should have contacted him about it rather than say nothing at all.

Well I already know Claptrap is getting recasted, as David Eddings, who used to work for Gearbox, has had a huge falling out with Randy and

• It should’ve been one of the first things they did when they decided Rhys would be in BL3. The dude loves Rhys so much that he would have probably taken a pay cut from what he usually earns just to play him again. Gearbox never even made an attempt it seems, and Troy has every right to get pissed over that. Like he said, if they tried and couldn’t make it work, then fine, but at least try, don’t just recast him and think no one would notice/care.

Claptrap is getting recasted I actually didn't know this. I just looked it up and the new voice sounds really close to the original.

• edited April 2019

I feel like Gearbox just wanted to go cheapo mode and figured not that many people would care about Tales characters, but then you know, Borderlands 3 reveal the second most talked about thing was Rhys.

Also Claptraps new voice isnt that bad as it is pretty similar, but still. I mean his voice is also distorted because hes a robot so its probably harder to capture it, while Rhys will just sound like a bad Troy Baker impression.

It should’ve been one of the first things they did when they decided Rhys would be in BL3. The dude loves Rhys so much that he would have pr

• Idk about y'all, but after this and that bullshit with Epic, I'm not even excited about BL3 anymore.

Someone asked Troy and it's pretty much confirmed they recasted Rhys with some other dude he's not happy about this,i feel so bad for him be

• Oh that’s definitely why they did it, they want to cut costs as much as possible. It’s quite amazing to see how the Borderlands faithful have fallen so much in love with the Tales characters, despite how it’s only a spinoff and doesn’t have the same gameplay as the main entries. And you’re right, people’s reactions to Rhys weren’t simply “Oh hey, it’s that guy from TFTBL,” it was “Oh shit, Rhys is back!” Characters like Rhys, Fiona, LB, and Gortys have become such fan favorites in the Borderlands series, you would think Gearbox would have made the effort to do the characters justice and give the fans what they wanted. With this, and all the EGS stuff, it’s confirming my fears that I had going into this game and why I was, and still am, hesitant over how the game will turn out. Was Borderlands 2 just lightning in a bottle from a studio who can’t get its shit together, can’t make a quality game to save its life, and with management that makes Telltale look competent? I hope BL3 proves me wrong, but I’m just not sure anymore.

Poogers555 posted: »

I feel like Gearbox just wanted to go cheapo mode and figured not that many people would care about Tales characters, but then you know, Bor

• Replacing Troy Baker for the performance of Rhys is nothing but the most retarded decision Gearbox has ever made and this is coming from someone who doesn't have a huge problem voice replacements like the entire cast in Resident Evil 2 Remake (Haven't actually played the original) and Eric Ladin over Jason Cottle as Cole MacGrath in InFamous 2.

There is absolutely NO FUCKING REASON. It's not even possible that Troy wanted to reprise his role just for money, like a lot. I will never forgive Gearbox for this.

• I cannot speak on the validity of this person as it was posted anonymously online, which already makes me skeptical, but I think it is worth posting.

An anonymous Gearbox employee not only said that Randy Pitchford is solely responsible for the exclusivity deal, convincing 2K to do it despite their CEO saying back in February they don’t believe in exclusivity deals, but that Randy was heavily emphasizing online multiplayer over the story. According to him, the main campaign is only going to be 15 hours long, but there will be 50+ hours of online content, and anything people loved about BL1 and BL2 is nonexistent in BL3. For perspective, BL2’s campaign is well over 30 hours long, and BL1, which has practically no story whatsoever, is over 22 hours long. Even The Pre-Sequel, at 17 hours, is longer than what this person is saying about BL3.

Again, because this person is speaking anonymously, take it with a grain of salt. However, with everything we know right now about Gearbox, Pitchford, and Borderlands, I’m inclined to believe this. A 15 hour campaign for a game like this is unacceptable, and much like @Pipas, I’m starting to lose all of my excitement and hype.

• Yeah i posted that in this thread the other day but then asked for the mods to delete it,after going around on reddit i'm pretty sure it's fake.

I mean the whole "the campaign is 15 hours long and everything you loved in BL1 and BL2 is nonexistent + Randy is pushing online stuff" is something i could see happening.

But then the person talks about how they stole a build of the game and they'll release it in 4 weeks if their demands are not met (doing something like that is extremely risky) and then the whole thing just turns into a rant about the Epic store and shit and that's when i felt like it was bullshit.

I cannot speak on the validity of this person as it was posted anonymously online, which already makes me skeptical, but I think it is worth

• That's where I found the most skepticism as well in regards to the person's validity, but everything he was talking about in regards to BL3 sounds very accurate. I'm not sure who to trust anymore to be honest, but if this guy is right, then we should be worried. But basically taking the game hostage as a threat towards Gearbox, is that even legal?

Yeah i posted that in this thread the other day but then asked for the mods to delete it,after going around on reddit i'm pretty sure it's f

• edited April 2019

But basically taking the game hostage as a threat towards Gearbox, is that even legal?

Pretty sure it isn't and that's why i think this is fake.
    Nobody would risk stealing a build of the game and then revealing their plan saying that they're in-fact employees at the company working on the project that's just dumb.

But maybe i'm wrong who knows let's wait 4 weeks and see i guess lmao

That's where I found the most skepticism as well in regards to the person's validity, but everything he was talking about in regards to BL3

• Same, Epic Store is already so annoying, but its also so annoying that they would just recast the Tales characters (because if they didnt get Troy, I doubt they got anyone else)

Pipas posted: »

Idk about y'all, but after this and that bullshit with Epic, I'm not even excited about BL3 anymore.

• I guess the silver lining is when the writing for the Tales characters is inevitably shit, they will just feel like bootleg Tales characters instead of real ones seeing as their voices wont even be the same haha...ha...

Oh that’s definitely why they did it, they want to cut costs as much as possible. It’s quite amazing to see how the Borderlands faithful hav

• I highly doubt that claim simply because The Outer Worlds became an Epic Game Store exclusive which is also overall owned by Take 2 Interactive who would be making choices like where the game is sold.

I would say its just your every day greed from the big boi publishers who dont give a shit about consumer, they just want that bonus money.

I cannot speak on the validity of this person as it was posted anonymously online, which already makes me skeptical, but I think it is worth

• I would say its just your every day greed from the big boi publishers who dont give a shit about consumer, they just want that bonus money.

That sounds right. And ultimately this will probably end up getting them less money than if they just released it to every platform at the same time. Obvious greed tactics can be a real turn-off to buyers.

I highly doubt that claim simply because The Outer Worlds became an Epic Game Store exclusive which is also overall owned by Take 2 Interact

• Well?

I have only played Telltale's version, so does that mean the walkthrough will be confusing?

• Yes probably,the borderlands games are super different from Tales and are more FPS/RPG's with loots and all that try to play them if you can before BL3 comes out or watch a recap of the games on Youtube.

Well?

• Thank you for letting me know. I have the first two games, but never bothered playing them. I think it was a £10 bundle deal from Tesco. ?

Yes probably,the borderlands games are super different from Tales and are more FPS/RPG's with loots and all that try to play them if you can before BL3 comes out or watch a recap of the games on Youtube.

• edited April 2019

It's possible that Gearbox might not have hired Troy Baker because he's in the voice actors union and according to the union if you hire one actor from the union, all your voice actors have to be from the union. If this is the case it's likely that Ashley Burch, Chris Hardwick and Ashley Johnson aren't returning either and definitely not Laura Bailey or Erin Yvette if their characters are even in the game.

• I don't know, I've learned a few things about the business of acting, and while having union employees is a slippery slope, I'm pretty sure there's some negotiations that can happen to get a union actor/writer/director on board of a non-union job.

I don't really know though, that's just stuff I learned in my course. Maybe it's different for voice actors or in the US in general.

It's possible that Gearbox might not have hired Troy Baker because he's in the voice actors union and according to the union if you hire one

• Supposedly the VA union is very strict about this rule so it seems unlikely they'd budge.

AChicken posted: »

I don't know, I've learned a few things about the business of acting, and while having union employees is a slippery slope, I'm pretty sure

• Yeah everyone's talking about it now,it's everywhere and most people are not happy they fucked up big time.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/04/09/borderlands-3-troy-baker-not-returning-as-tales-from-the-borderlands-rhys Big oof.

• There will be boycotts without Troy Baker.

Yeah everyone's talking about it now,it's everywhere and most people are not happy they fucked up big time.

• Here comes another twist in the Rhys debacle. According to Randy Pitchford, they had reached out to Troy to reprise the role, but he was told by the audio director for BL3 that Troy turned it down. Now this openly contradicts what Troy said a few days ago, as well as tweets the day of BL3's announcement. Troy has made it seem he was never contacted and when he heard Rhys was in the trailer, that was the first he knew about Rhys being in the game.

Since this is Randy Pitchford, and I don't trust him as far as I can throw him, I'm more inclined to believe Troy. This whole thing is fucked.

• edited April 2019

Hmm….

There's something in't that is deceivable.
    I'm willing to believe Troy on this one. It doesn't seem like him to cause a stir about his character like this, nor does it make any logical sense to: Turn down the job offer, act coy as to being involved in or having any knowledge of BL3 when the trailer releases, then confessing his love for the character and disappointment that he isn't playing Rhys.

Here comes another twist in the Rhys debacle. According to Randy Pitchford, they had reached out to Troy to reprise the role, but he was tol

• edited April 2019

https://www.pcgamesn.com/borderlands-3/rhys-troy-baker

Fortunately, with how Rhys appears in the game, I don’t think it actually matters at all.

Rhys is just there for the sake of "Hey remember Tales?!" moment, isn't he? :/

• Troy said that they WERE in contact at one point but then Gearbox went silent.
    MAYBE Troy wanted more money, and Gearbox took that as denying to come back. Somebody isn't telling the full truth here though.

Here comes another twist in the Rhys debacle. According to Randy Pitchford, they had reached out to Troy to reprise the role, but he was tol

• he was told by the audio director for BL3 that Troy turned it down

Yeah right he "turned it down" Randy is a real bastard
    then he tried to save his skin and said that "no one is to blame" lmfaoo

• edited April 2019

I don’t think it actually matters at all.

inb4 AI Jack's taken over Rhys body..

MichaelBP posted: »

https://www.pcgamesn.com/borderlands-3/rhys-troy-baker Fortunately, with how Rhys appears in the game, I don’t think it actually matters at all. Rhys is just there for the sake of "Hey remember Tales?!" moment, isn't he?

• Same, I'm much more inclined to believe Troy than Randy any day. I dont see why Troy would turn it down and then go acting like he was never contacted. Also the way he speaks about Tales characters recasted makes me think he probably talked to Laura Bailey and knows she was recasted as well.

Also considering Randy's first response was the generic "yeah we recasted him but I think he good" instead of just a "He declined."

If what Randy is saying is even half true though, I bet it was something super vague so Troy wouldnt even know he would be coming back as Rhys and would think it was something he wasnt interested in, which I also doubt as Im sure Troy would probably put two and two together that Gearbox is asking him to do a role.

• Nope, Rhys is going to have a major role, hes how the vault hunters go from planet to planet.

Which is what makes it more disappointing he isnt Troy.

MichaelBP posted: »

https://www.pcgamesn.com/borderlands-3/rhys-troy-baker Fortunately, with how Rhys appears in the game, I don’t think it actually matters at all. Rhys is just there for the sake of "Hey remember Tales?!" moment, isn't he?

• Possible, but seeing Troy's reaction I feel he would have done it way cheaper.

If anything Gearbox was probably all secret and Troy didnt even know what he would be hired for, as far as he knew they wanted him for a lead role and werent offering him enough because he didnt even know The game he'd be in would be Rhys as a side character.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Troy said that they WERE in contact at one point but then Gearbox went silent. MAYBE Troy wanted more money, and Gearbox took that as denying to come back. Somebody isn't telling the full truth here though.

• It is now confirmed that Ashly Burch will be returning to voice Tiny Tina in Borderlands 3. As happy as I am, this still pisses me off. They'll get her to come back and voice a fan favorite in Tiny Tina, despite her now being in her late teens/early adult years and probably went through a voice change, but won't get Troy Baker to come back and do Rhys, despite the fact that he was an adult in TFTBL and won't go through a voice change, and who's also a fan favorite character. Plus, I'm sure Ashly Burch's recognition and popularity has gone up drastically since BL2, as she's done big roles like Chloe in Life is Strange and Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn. They'll spend the money to bring her on, but not on Troy Baker. Look, I get it, this is Tiny Tina and it'd be hard to find someone who can bring that wackiness and insanity to the character like Ashly did, I guess I'm just still a bit salty over everything.

Plus, isn't Ashly a part of the actors union or something, I thought the reason why she didn't end up voicing Chloe in Life is Strange: Before the Storm was because of a voice actors strike. I know someone was saying here that maybe they didn't go after Rhys was because he's union and Gearbox didn't want to worry about that.

• I wasnt sure why so many people thought she wasnt coming back to voice Tina. She has personal connections into the studio so...

I think what makes me the most upset about Troy not being casted it simply because theyve worked so hard for keeping the same voice cast after all this time, and then with Tales characters its "oof idk man" and just recast.

Also cuz Randy then just lied and said he turned it down, but Randy lies every damn day, so I highly doubt it.

It is now confirmed that Ashly Burch will be returning to voice Tiny Tina in Borderlands 3. As happy as I am, this still pisses me off. They

• Well Anthony Burch doesn't work at Gearbox anymore, and he created the character and based it off of her, so I guess that's why some thought she wouldn't come back.

I wasnt sure why so many people thought she wasnt coming back to voice Tina. She has personal connections into the studio so... I think w

• and with management that makes Telltale look competent?

In terms of Voice Casting, yeah. Telltale relied mainly on investors, pretty much never profited and always put in so much effort into casting voice-actors, even if the people they'd need were high-profile.

Oh that’s definitely why they did it, they want to cut costs as much as possible. It’s quite amazing to see how the Borderlands faithful hav

• edited April 2019

Yeah. Patton freaking Oswalt for their kids' game. All 13 episodes of it.
    They even got Paul Reubens as a side character.

I don't know how they managed to book well-known stars like that. It's not that uncommon for games, but for Telltale? That seems like a tall order.

Ghetsis posted: »

and with management that makes Telltale look competent? In terms of Voice Casting, yeah. Telltale relied mainly on investors, pretty

Sign in to comment in this discussion.