Borderlands 3 News Thread: Releasing 13/09/2019 PS4, XONE and EGS, Borderlands GOTY Out Now

Comments

• This being another Epic Game Store 6-month exclusive, I'll be waiting until it hits Steam to play. Epic has had way too many troubles with spyware, hacks, ect for me to pick that up just to play a few games sooner. A lot of Epic clients in the past have also had troubles recovering their log-ins after complications with the launcher.

• I think the dumbest choice they ever did in terms of voice acting was multiple language voice actors in TFS. Like yes its a great feature, but you know you cant afford it at all, so you really shouldnt be doing that. Youre basically paying 5 times as much on the vocal cast now.

AChicken posted: »

Yeah. Patton freaking Oswalt for their kids' game. All 13 episodes of it. They even got Paul Reubens as a side character. I don't know h

• Yeah they got a lot of peeps from GoT to voice themselves in the game. Laura Bailey and Troy Baker in Batman and Tales. Nolan North and Adam Harrington as Groot and Rocket. Jeff Schine as Javi.

Yeah. Patton freaking Oswalt for their kids' game. All 13 episodes of it. They even got Paul Reubens as a side character. I don't know h

• You can't forgot that Telltale was probably the biggest/most recognized AA studio on the the map.

• Yeah it's odd that Kent said they couldnt implement a rewind feature and who knows how many other things because it was too expensive, but then drop 5 different languages that only about 1% of the population will use

Poogers555 posted: »

I think the dumbest choice they ever did in terms of voice acting was multiple language voice actors in TFS. Like yes its a great feature, b

• edited April 2019

Troy Baker kinda calls out Randy Pitchfords claim that he denied to reprise his role as Rhys in this interview.

• That was expected, everyone knows Randy is a slimeball who lies nonstop.

Also now we know Nolan North isnt involved in Borderlands 3 which means August isnt in the game or they recast him as well.

lupinb0y posted: »

Troy Baker kinda calls out Randy Pitchfords claim that he denied to reprise his role as Rhys in this interview.

• edited April 2019

New video about the story of Borderlands. So pretty much just a recap.

That was expected, everyone knows Randy is a slimeball who lies nonstop. Also now we know Nolan North isnt involved in Borderlands 3 which means August isnt in the game or they recast him as well.

• Not surprised, I didn't believe Randy at all when he said Troy turned it down, and I don't think anyone with half a brain cell believed him either. How Randy has kept his job at Gearbox in spite of everything is beyond me, even Telltale realized they had to get rid of Bruner eventually.

• edited April 2019

Unfortunately, in the case of Bruner, that was after a major flop of their highly-acclaimed series and an underperforming duo of games (GOTG and MCSM S2).
    That Verge article of the inside practices of the CEO may not have helped either but I forget if that was before or after Bruner's ousting.

Not surprised, I didn't believe Randy at all when he said Troy turned it down, and I don't think anyone with half a brain cell believed him

• The Verge article came after, in fact, I believe it came after the 25% staff layoffs that were conducted by Pete Hawley.

It's not like there haven't been flops under Pitchford and Gearbox. Aliens: Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem Forever, and Battleborn come to mind.

Unfortunately, in the case of Bruner, that was after a major flop of their highly-acclaimed series and an underperforming duo of games (GOTG

• Randy is doing the same mistake Capcom Vancouver did to Dead Rising 4 by not calling T.J Rotolo to reprise his role as Frank West and had terrible excuses for doing that. Fuck that guy.

• edited April 2019

On the Borderlands website, they have the list of all the gun manufacturers that will be present in Borderlands 3. While we pretty much knew this, it is confirmed that Atlas guns will be present. Surprisingly, Hyperion guns will also be present, however, it looks like they've gone through a bit of a rebranding in the time between Borderlands 2/Tales From the Borderlands and Borderlands 3. Their guns maintain the same features, but there will be a logo change. The most notable thing is the absence of Bandit guns, which are being replaced with COV (Children of the Vault) guns, which pretty much are the same thing, but will overheat and malfunction if used too much.

• I like that they look like they're made from scrap like car parts.

On the Borderlands website, they have the list of all the gun manufacturers that will be present in Borderlands 3. While we pretty much knew

• edited April 2019

Some gameplay was leaked, it's nothing much but you get a look at some loot chests, the new HUD and Claptraps new voice.

https://streamable.com/2x088

• Atlas HQ, pic was uploaded to Borderlands website this morning

• edited May 2019

As expected and leaked, Rhys has a major role, but isnt Troy. Thanks Randy. He sounds like shit.

(they also gave him a retarded af last name, thanks fellas)

• Pls tell me his last name so I can meme it

As expected and leaked, Rhys has a major role, but isnt Troy. Thanks Randy. He sounds like shit. (they also gave him a retarded af last name, thanks fellas)

• his name is now Rhys Strongforks for reasons unknown.

This Rhys is so bootleg sounding its annoying. Sounds like a really bad Troy Baker impersonation, nevermind he acts completely different and barely feels like Rhys.

Melton23 posted: »

Pls tell me his last name so I can meme it

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited May 2019

Did anyone watch any of the gameplay on twitch?

https://twitch.tv/videos/418919410?t=3863s

• why are they fucking up tales characters so bad

• edited May 2019

You are shitting me, that's not the actual last name, right? You're pulling my leg because that is without a doubt one of the dumbest names I have ever heard.

Edit: OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT IS THE ACTUAL LAST NAME! Are you shitting me Gearbox? Bring me the person who came up with that right now so I can fire him out of a moonshot cannon and hopefully die on impact.

his name is now Rhys Strongforks for reasons unknown. This Rhys is so bootleg sounding its annoying. Sounds like a really bad Troy Baker impersonation, nevermind he acts completely different and barely feels like Rhys.

• To be fair is it really surprising? Borderlands isn’t really the kind of series you take seriously.

You are shitting me, that's not the actual last name, right? You're pulling my leg because that is without a doubt one of the dumbest names

• It may be Borderlands, but it doesn't change the overall stupidity of it.

You have a character like Torgue, who's first name is Mr. Torgue, middle name High Five, and last name Flexington. That name is ridiculous, absurd, but outright hilarious and honestly kind of fits with the character. Rhys Strongfork sounds like the made up name a kindergartener comes up with for his imaginary friend.

To be fair is it really surprising? Borderlands isn’t really the kind of series you take seriously.

• edited May 2019

Rhys Strongfork sounds like the made up name a kindergartener comes up with for his imaginary friend.

Sounds like borderlands to me ? wasn’t there a minecraft reference in one of the other games? Like it wasn’t even a reference, there were genuine minecraft blocks and creepers and everything. That’s about the most kindergarten...ish thing there ever was. Not that I’m challenging the manliness of Minecraft’s player base or anything...

If it’s in the game, it’s canon right? Does that mean that minecraft has bridged realities with borderlands?

It may be Borderlands, but it doesn't change the overall stupidity of it. You have a character like Torgue, who's first name is Mr. Torgu

• Thanks, I hate it.

his name is now Rhys Strongforks for reasons unknown. This Rhys is so bootleg sounding its annoying. Sounds like a really bad Troy Baker impersonation, nevermind he acts completely different and barely feels like Rhys.

• I think Randy Pitchford gets on my list for the worst gaming studio CEOs in the world, along with Kevin Bruner, Andrew Wilson and Todd Howard for what he did to Rhys, one of the best Telltale original characters ever.

• All the gameplay stuff and improvements sound really great, but honestly with all this info on Rhys and Vaughn I kinda wish they just never touched them at all at this point. I don't think the new voice sounds that bad (it's pretty close sounding to Troy Baker in my opinion) but they don't really seem like they'll be the same characters at all and the games writing's still... not great.

• Outside of the Rhys stuff, I must say that I'm absolutely loving what I saw about the gameplay. Still not completely sold on the Calypso Twins yet, from what I've seen, they have good aspects, but also bad aspects. They have an actual personality to them which I life, but I'm not sure how I feel about Randy's characterization of them as the annoying streamers (I still have nightmares over Screwball from Spider-Man), but I'll keep an open mind. Obviously they're not going to hold a candle to Handsome Jack, so there's no use in trying to compare them to him, if you try, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

The three skills for all characters are a nice touch, adds more variety to the character you play as, and Zane has the ability to have two skills open instead of one (so long as you substitute your grenade for it). I'm glad they went with having the characters talk like in TPS and didn't have them be a silent PC like in 1 and 2. Having your own set of loot, being able to play with others regardless of what level you are, guns having two features to them, all very exciting features. The gameplay and art style is still largely the same, which is a good thing. They're not trying to reinvent themselves, they're keeping what we love and making some quality improvement to make it feel new, why fix what isn't broken am I right? And I don't know about you, but being able to finally fight with NPC's like Zer0 and have them revive you so you don't need to worry about killing an enemy is a welcome addition. You have brief moments of fighting with Roland, Lilith, Brick, and Mordecai in BL2, and sometimes Jack in TPS, but it's not much.

As for Randy's claim of this being the biggest or largest Borderlands game yet, I'm skeptical but also optimistic. Yes, Randy is a pathological liar, we all know this, but with the new worlds (another great feature), it opens more side missions, more storytelling capabilities, more enemies, etc. I'm not sure if the main story of this game will end up being as long as Borderlands 2 (which is over 30 hours just for the main stuff), but looking at what they can do with everything else outside of the main campaign, he might be telling the truth here. He also said no micro transactions, and if that's true, then awesome, but I'll believe it when I see it.

With all that being said, I would absolutely love it if Gearbox could release the gameplay on Promethea as a demo for Borderlands 3, because I REALLY want to play it.

• Its more so annoying because Tales characters like Rhys have had so much character development dedicated to them, honestly more so than 90% of the other Borderlands characters, so its a bit annoying seeing these people who never worked with the character give him such a stupid last name for literally 0 reason, and just make his character so different in general (let alone he isnt voiced by Troy and instead sounds like a terribly done boot leg version of the character)

Rhys Strongfork sounds like the made up name a kindergartener comes up with for his imaginary friend. Sounds like borderlands to me

• Havent seen Vaughn yet? How have they butchered him so far?

All the gameplay stuff and improvements sound really great, but honestly with all this info on Rhys and Vaughn I kinda wish they just never

• edited May 2019

Same here. I think the gameplay will be amazing, but I feel like the writing will be really really bad. Like its not secret Gearbox's writing has been declining after Borderlands 2, but Im super weary. Especially seeing how little respect for Rhys' character already is. The Rhys stuff is going to bother me a lot in all honesty. Half the reason I got into Borderlands was because of Tales, I played 2 before but I was pretty much done after beating the main quest, after Tales I started to really play and get into the series. The Tales characters are honestly soooo much better than the rest of the Borderlands characters, so to me having the whole Rhys being written badly, recasted, still having no clue if Fiona and Sasha will even appear is really annoying. I feel Flak will still be Loader-Bot as they havent shown him still. (unless im mistaken)

Just the Tales characters are being ruined by Borderlands 3 and its annoying. Like are they even going to explain how Rhys and Fiona got out of the Vault? If they do, I hope it makes sense even a little.

Outside of the Rhys stuff, I must say that I'm absolutely loving what I saw about the gameplay. Still not completely sold on the Calypso Twi

• We have confirmation as to who the voice of Rhys is, it is (drum roll) Ray Chase. You might recognize him as the voice of Marlon from The Final Season.

• itll never be the same man

We have confirmation as to who the voice of Rhys is, it is (drum roll) Ray Chase. You might recognize him as the voice of Marlon from The Final Season. https://twitter.com/RayChase/status/1123736589220425729

• edited May 2019

Ah sorry, I misread something saying that he was part of the Children of the Vault and was really confused on why he'd be an antagonist.

Havent seen Vaughn yet? How have they butchered him so far?

• Could be worse I guess. Still disappointing Troy won't be voicing him tho.

We have confirmation as to who the voice of Rhys is, it is (drum roll) Ray Chase. You might recognize him as the voice of Marlon from The Final Season. https://twitter.com/RayChase/status/1123736589220425729

• edited May 2019

Surprise surprise, Randy Pitchford is being a whiny cry-baby on Twitter. Randy said yesterday there would be no micro transactions, Game Informer released an article stating that, yes, there are micro transactions in the form of cosmetics. They aren't in the form of anything dealing with the game itself, but they pointed out that they do exist. And now, Randy is calling the out and targeting people...again.

I really don't care about the cosmetics thing, obviously it is a micro transaction, but it's not a huge thing. The problem though is Randy continuously acting like a whiny bitch and playing victim.

• tfw you realize Rhys is now "Strongfork" because its the opposite of Reese Witherspoon, so our boi is suffering from a bad joke that will pass over 99% of peoples heads.

• Ah fuck, I can't believe you've done this.

tfw you realize Rhys is now "Strongfork" because its the opposite of Reese Witherspoon, so our boi is suffering from a bad joke that will pass over 99% of peoples heads.

• Borderlands 3 Creative Director Paul Sage says the game's main campaign is over 30 hours long if you "beeline" it.

It's not from Randy Pitchford, so I'm willing to trust it more.

There's going to be plenty of Borderlands 3 to sink your teeth into. At a preview event on Tuesday, our writer James played about three hours of the new looter shooter, which is a mere fraction of the full game, as it turns out. According to creative director Paul Sage, the main quest for Borderlands 3 will last for 10 times that.

"If you beeline it through, and I mean beelining it through, it might take you 30 hours to complete the main story," Sage said.

That's actually right in line with Borderlands 2, according to How Long to Beat. The average for the main story according to several hundred players is 31 hours, but few people finished the game that quickly. Throw in side missions, experimenting with different builds and playstyles, harder difficulties on New Game+, and so on, and you're looking at a much longer game, with the average "completionist" dropping 126 hours.

Based on Borderlands 3's more-is-more mantra—a billion guns, multiple explorable planets—it seems like a safe bet that it'll have plenty to do.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.