Borderlands 3 News Thread: Releasing 13/09/2019 PS4, XONE and EGS, Borderlands GOTY Out Now

Comments

• edited April 2020

I kinda of knew that Randy Pitchford wasn't much of a nice guy and always was a jerk to ppl including the VA for Claptrap. I mean i wouldn't be surprised if we hear from more VAs On this.

So Jason Schreier's tweets have been shared to the thread, but I felt I should share some of the big parts of Jason's article on this debacl

• Definitely agree with that

dojo32161 posted: »

Randy Pitchford can just go and fuck off, what an asshole. https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245403576198926339 https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245404671948345348

• Randy Pitchford? More like, Randy Bitchford!

Randy Pitchford can just go and fuck off, what an asshole. https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245403576198926339 https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245404671948345348

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Don't know if any of you have seen this, but they added it into the game a couple days ago, it's pretty neat. You basically play a minigame that helps out real world science, though you also accumulate ingame currency that allows you to get stuff for your characters.
    https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-04-07-borderlands-science/

• All jokes aside, here. It's a surprise Pitchford is still working with Gearbox, after all, he doesn't really have the cleanest reputation. Pitchford is such a fucking greedy little asshole. He fucking lied to his employees because he couldn't fucking take care of his business and get his affairs in order before the release of BL3. I don't know. This just seems scummy. Really wishing for him to step down. I wonder if this has anything to do with Troy Baker not being able to voice Rhys.

Still playing, I really hate how long the Slaughter sidequests are and that you cannot leave at all during them, not even to just exit the game. I'd have preferred if they were separated into five parts, because it's way too long as is.

• How far in the game are you, dojo? Have you finished the campaign?

I just finished everything with Aurelia yesterday, I have like 10 hours to go.

Still playing, I really hate how long the Slaughter sidequests are and that you cannot leave at all during them, not even to just exit the game. I'd have preferred if they were separated into five parts, because it's way too long as is.

edited April 2020

Nah, still doing the campaign, I'm at the part where

you kill Troy Calypso and the game tries to do a fakeout ending joke before you get the power to read Eridian writing.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

How far in the game are you, dojo? Have you finished the campaign? I just finished everything with Aurelia yesterday, I have like 10 hours to go.

• So I cam across this on the Borderlands 3 subreddit and damn now Im sad

Also same guy made this which is crazy as just the other day I had the same thought of "I wonder what Vaughn and Rhys looked like with original face textures." Rhys looks way better now. I think his design is perfectly fine with the mustache, but if you tell him to shave it something about his mouth looks wrong, but with this he looks way better.

Creator

Atlas Blushed

...That works on way too many evels.

Poogers555 posted: »

So I cam across this on the Borderlands 3 subreddit and damn now Im sad Also same guy made this which is crazy as just the other

Mayhem 2.0 is also apparently happening the same day.
    https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-04-21-borderlands-3-revenge-of-the-cartels/

• Can we get an F for Fiona?

The third DLC was revealed today, it's apparently an all new cast in it. https://forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/05/21/borderlands-3-reveals-bounty-of-blood-dlc-krieg-dlc-4-and-a-guardian-takedown

• upset Fiona wont appear at all in Borderlands 3 but at the same time relieved she isnt so she doesnt get Vaughn'd

• Okay so I've given up hope on this garbage game.

DLC3 has NO returning characters aside from the 4 Vault Hunters. No Salvador, Fiona, Clay, nobody.

It's clear that since 2015, Gearbox's new writers have decided to take the BL universe in a different direction than what Tales and The Pre Sequel. They want to tell a cosmic space opera with multiple story arcs on almost a dozen planets rather than tell the Borderlands Story we were used to about Elpis and Pandora. They want a cosmic story with hundreds of characters, not a self-contained and consistent narrative.

They don't care about the Tales or Pre-Sequel cast either. Great.

Oh and it's not funny either.

• edited August 2020

https://steamdb.info/app/397540/dlc/

Borderlands 3 had 5 brand new DLC's uploaded to Steam this morning. They were added all at the same time, just like the first 4 DLC's on EpicData.info (and Steam before DLC2 released).

Hope for Fiona, August, Gortys, LB, or Sasha? Since this isn’t the first season pass I’m hoping that they can take more risks by using lesser-known characters.

• I kinda hope they dont do anything Tales related. Without the original people behind the characters Id rather they just be left untouched.

Vaughn is already really undermined from Tales and is now in a pretty difficult place to go forward if a Tales 2 were to ever happen. Rhys at the moment is fine where he is. If they continue to go the route they've been going with these characters Tales 2 set up can be left in a poor place for all characters.

So if they do a Tales DLC I hope at the very least they consult with AdHoc. I remember in that stream with Nick Herman he was asked about his opinion on the Tales characters in BL3 and he seemed pretty disappointed with the direction they took stating that it "just is what it is" and seemed to be a bit disappointed with how they were included. Obviously we have no idea how he really feels about it but when he was answering that question it really didnt come off as "I like what they went with" and came off a bit disappointed like he was hoping they would have been consulted like they were consulting Gearbox about their characters treatment.

https://steamdb.info/app/397540/dlc/ Borderlands 3 had 5 brand new DLC's uploaded to Steam this morning. They were added all at the same

• So It’s possible Fiona was in Borderlands 3’s 3rd DLC nad nobody here noticed until now lol, only one obscure Reddit post about this.

Supposedly canonically it makes sense that it’s one of the characters grandmothers but it really does look similar...

• Yes...YES...YESSSSS!!!!

(sees Maya) Well, now I feel pain.

• This one looks pretty good. I was pretty disappointed with DLC 3. I thought the idea was actually super cool but it just felt really flat to me once I actually played. This DLC is already looking a lot more fun though

Yes...YES...YESSSSS!!!! (sees Maya) Well, now I feel pain.

• I thought DLC was okay, I liked the new gameplay additions and the villain was pretty good. Felt short, but that's only my major complaint with it. Plus, it had the return of the Unkempt Harold, hard to hate the DLC for bringing back the best pistol in the entire series.

This one looks pretty good. I was pretty disappointed with DLC 3. I thought the idea was actually super cool but it just felt really flat to me once I actually played. This DLC is already looking a lot more fun though

• Nice! This is what the fans want, returning characters. I see Krieg, Tannis, Lillith, Maya, Brick, and Mordy.

Look at the views for the Bounty of Blood promos compared to this. It really shows what intrigues the fans: A cast fully comprised of unoriginal bland and unlikeable characters does not appeal. Bounty of Blood was such an ass DLC. Only interesting character was Rose and they did nothing with her.

I hope this is a situation where the writers were so focused on DLC4 that DLC3 suffered. This looks really good, even better than Handsome Jackpot.

Yes...YES...YESSSSS!!!! (sees Maya) Well, now I feel pain.

• I have to say, BL3 DLC is generally very good. I'm impressed.

• So they announced a DLC Pass 2 today with it being a design cut and director's cut.

Seems interesting so far. Design cut is focusing on new gameplay and they haven't given much details on what the directors cut is.

If I had to guess, the directors cut is going to add a bunch of new quest to the base game. So maybe we actually find out what that Rhys echo log was about (although I'm unsure if I really want to know lol) either way the directors cut sounds interesting if it focuses on adding new quest from base game NPC's as it seems like a good way to continue the world and story rather than every DLC being on a different planet.

• Wow that's a really unique and interesting idea for a DLC pass. I'm interested to know what eventually comes of it.

It's like they made the first DLC pack and then thought: y'know what? Let's show people what they could have gotten added to the base game and what cutting room floor concepts we can bring back to life!

So they announced a DLC Pass 2 today with it being a design cut and director's cut. Seems interesting so far. Design cut is focusing on n

• I do wonder what its gonna be as I think you're right that they will probably be adding cut content. Which is weird seeing how I think only Scooper was 100% cut, the rest made its way into DLC.

I'm not super sure how I'm going to feel if they do give Rhys a quest to find Fiona or Sasha or whoever it is though. I said it a few times, but I am kinda at the point where I don't want the Gearbox team messing with the Tales characters. The writing is to just say it simply, no where close to the quality of Tales, so its jarring seeing those characters being played around with people who don't really seem to get what made Tales so good. Now granted that easily could just be because its 2 different genres of game as well, but after seeing Nick Herman talk about Borderlands 3 it really seems like he isn't a big fan of the direction they took with the characters. "It is what it is" isn't exactly a glowing endorsement and is more so just accepting that they own the IP so they can do what they want. So for that, really hoping they just dont touch up on them again.

(But who knows, if it does happen it may be good. I do think the Rhys segment is actually one of the stronger parts of the story and does feel overall true to what his character would be as CEO of Atlas, even if some of his lines don't really feel "Rhys-y." And I mean it would have been a bit nice to leave the ending to Tales a bit more open if a Tales 2 were ever made, because Rhys says in an echo log he made weapons from the Vault Treasure so I guess that was the answer to where Rhys and Fiona went or something?)

AChicken posted: »

Wow that's a really unique and interesting idea for a DLC pass. I'm interested to know what eventually comes of it. It's like they made t

• 2 returning characters leaked for the upcoming designer cut DLC

Salvador is also going to be the other host for the Arms Race mode.

• Glad they're bringing faces back. BL3 is a great game gameplay and visual wise I just really wish the narrative and campaign was of a higher standard and had more replayability aside from farming

2 returning characters leaked for the upcoming designer cut DLC (Spoiler)

• Season Pass 2 Directors Cut Details leaked by 2k support page. Releasing Spring 2021.

https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058779333-Borderlands-3-Ultimate-Edition-What-s-Included-

• Ava’s Murder Mystery Missions (Series of Four (4), one/planet
    • (Behind-the-Scenes): “Lost” Cinematic Previs, Cut Story Moments, Manufacturer Videos, Concept Art, Lost Map Vignettes, and much more!
    • Vault Symbol Challenges w/Exclusive Gear Set Rewards
  • Season Pass 2 was a cash grab in case you couldn't tell.

Season Pass 2 Directors Cut Details leaked by 2k support page. Releasing Spring 2021. https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/3600587793

• I wonder if cut story moments means things like side quest that weren’t complete or story revamps.

Season Pass 2 Directors Cut Details leaked by 2k support page. Releasing Spring 2021. https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/3600587793

• You know, when they announced the directors cut, I was hoping for more side missions that might have been cut or not fully finished before the release, but now would have the opportunity to input. Instead, it’s just 4 missions, and they all pertain to Ava. Gee, I wonder why they held off on giving out that info until now, couldn’t because Ava is the most despised character in the game since Pickle and no one would have bought it if they knew. Really, this is what they’re going to give us, more Ava, in missions that I highly doubt will be designed to improve her character in anyway. Piss off Gearbox, and stop trying to make us like Ava, it’s not going to happen.

• I present to you: The Top 10 Better Suggestions for Extra Content that Should Have Been Included in the Director’s Cut Instead of 4 Ava Side Missions

1. A series of missions focusing on the ECHO of Rhys asking Zer0 about someone’s whereabouts. As this was presumably hinting at either Sasha or Fiona, this would have been great content for TFTBL’s fans and delve more into the events between Tales and BL3.
    2. More maps and areas to explore on Athenas. If you want to develop Ava’s character, why not give us more stuff to do while on Athenas. As the home of the Order of the Impending Storm, more areas open up more side missions, as well as the chance to explore more about Ava meeting up with Maya, as well as how the Order came to be, how they originally discovered Maya, and what Maya had been doing on the planet since returning after BL2. Plus, Athenas was really cool but had only one map in the entire game, it deserved more.
    3. The inclusion of Dr. Zed somewhere in the universe. Marcus is located right on Sanctuary, but Zed wasn’t anywhere in the game, but he still has vending machines throughout the galaxy. You got the VA to record new vending machine lines, but didn’t include him in the actual game, what the hell? Bring back everyone’s favorite “doctor.”
    4. Some extra missions surrounding Clay. We got a mission in the main quest that delved a little bit into his smuggling days and how he was caught by Montgomery Jakobs. Why not have a couple of extra missions that shed a little more light on how it all came to be and how Clay came to trust and respect Monty. How about some missions involving Clay and Wainwright, since Wainwright said he wasn’t sure if he could trust him at one point. Use these missions to build extra trust between them, especially now since Wainwright runs Jakobs.
    5. More missions with Brick, Tina, and Mordecai. These characters are criminally underused in the main game, and while they get some side missions later in the game, it’s not enough to justify their inclusion beyond “They were in the previous games.” The amount of attention that has been constantly thrusted onto Lilith, since The Pre Sequel, while Brick and Mordecai get shafted, infuriates me. They should get more focus, especially now with both Roland and Lilith gone. And Tina definitely needs more time as she’s a fan favorite and one of the most beloved characters from the series.
    6. Raid bosses. Everyone loves raid bosses, and their removal from the game is puzzling. To add even more creativity, give a raid boss for each planet in the main game. Pandora, Athenas, Promethea, Eden-6, and Nekrotafeyo all have a unique raid boss, that’s sounds awesome.
    7. A new vault hunter. Something that people have also been asking for and the lack of inclusions is also puzzling. They did give us a 4th skill tree for all of the Vault Hunters, but why not a 5th Vault Hunter. Their excuse for why they decided not to is complete bullshit, and considering how 3 of the 4 DLC’s for BL3 either primarily focused on or included previous DLC vault hunters (and the main game had one as a major antagonist), Gearbox found them popular enough to use them again.
    8. Missions or ECHO’s that delve more into the Calypso Twins. As annoying as these two are, they were also underdeveloped and needed more to their characters other than annoying streamers. We had missions in BL2 that uncovered the history and actions of Handsome Jack through ECHO’s all throughout the game (him killing Pierce, his experiments at the Hyperion Preserve, his rise to power and use of Angel in his endeavors, etc.). Why not have something similar for the Calypso Twins. When you’re on Nekrotafeyo, have the two robots that Typhon made give you missions to acquire ECHO’s of both Tyreen and Troy’s childhood with Typhon. We have a couple ECHO’s of them leaving the planet and them struggling on Pandora after they arrive, but it’s not enough. Troy could have been an interesting character had he been used properly, why not explore that more in extra side missions.
    9. A 4th vehicle with extra skins and customization collectibles that can be used at the Catch-a-Ride’s. Okay, I’ll be honest, I’m running out of ideas here, but this could still be a cool option to include. Hell, what if they gave us the chance to digistruct a buzzard. How cool would it be to fly around the map instead of driving?
    10. The return of Slag weapons. I’ll say it, radiation is fucking useless, especially on the Mayhem difficulties. Give us back the Slag weapons.
  • Honestly all I was really hoping for the directors cut was for it to be, you know, a directors cut. Based on what we know this doesn’t really sound much like a directors cut. Time will tell for whatever the unused story thing ends up being but so far it seems the focus will just be a new quest like the last DLCs that will focus on Ava.

Personally I’d be down if it was just a bunch of new side quest added with characters from the base game that I feel didn’t offer enough (was pretty sad Rhys only gives one side quest and then the quest has almost nothing to do with him) and characters who didn’t make the cut like Zed could be brought back, stuff like that. Honestly that’s all I’d really need to be satisfied. But bummed it seems it’s basically just going to be a lesser version of the other dlcs.

Also in general the DLCs have been pretty disappointing imo. Like I’ve kinda just played the main quest then stopped playing. I feel a big part of this is the side characters in bl3 are generic npcs but holy shit the DLCs in basically all side quest are no named non unique characters who offer very boring, repetitive, and unfunny quest.

I present to you: The Top 10 Better Suggestions for Extra Content that Should Have Been Included in the Director’s Cut Instead of 4 Ava Side

• Personally I’d be down if it was just a bunch of new side quest added with characters from the base game that I feel didn’t offer enough

That's the assumption I was under too, that it would add more side missions throughout the game that would be offered through the characters that weren't used all that much. Alas, this is not what it is.

Largely, I do agree with your issues surrounding the side missions in the DLC's, but that wasn't just something exclusive to BL3. Even in BL2's DLC's, the side missions weren't really all that much, just some extra content that didn't really do anything to further the characters or world. A lot of them were just sort of fetch quests and "Go to this place and do this thing for me." Storywise, I thought the DLC's were fine. Krieg's needed A LOT more work put into it because it was very short and the side missions here were a joke, but the other ones were actually pretty good. Not Tiny Tina good, but enjoyable and worth the money. And I will say the Guns, Love, and Tentacles DLC did have a great series of missions by Burton Briggs that was very well done. His missions are some of my favorite in all of BL3, main game and DLC's included.

Honestly all I was really hoping for the directors cut was for it to be, you know, a directors cut. Based on what we know this doesn’t reall

• I'd agree with BL2 dlc NPCs not being exactly stand out but I do remember the new main dlc characters much more than I do the BL3 dlc main characters despite the fact I haven't played BL2 in years. (I mean I can actually remember their names for one. Hell I feel everyone forgets Mr Tourge was actually dlc and now the guy is def one of the most icon in the series) But the BL2 and its dlc also had many of the side quest come from the same NPC so they had multiple quest than just one which is what almost all BL3 side quest are. I liked having a more developed NPC be a giver of many quest than random no body npc gives you one incredibly boring quest and then you completely forget about it after its finished.

Even for Burton, personally I feel it gets a bit over praised as (for a lot of the writing in BL3) it always feels like it is a first draft. Personally I feel that questline feels like its "not finished" but it is one of the better questlines. Probably gets so much praise because it is one of the few quest that at least tries instead of "funny bubble help me bubble bath this guy pick up thing and place here quest number 24."

Really just end of the day its really disappointing hearing Gearbox call this a "Director's Cut" when its really the "Pay us 15 dollars for something we can talk about at GDC cut"

Personally I’d be down if it was just a bunch of new side quest added with characters from the base game that I feel didn’t offer enough

• edited January 2021

So the murder mystery quests Ava is going to give us will come as a part of, wait for it...a podcast she's hosting.

Yep, an Ava hosted podcast, because that's what we wanted, Ava to pretty much become even more annoying than Tyreen.

• I really really really dont understand why they are calling this "The Director's Cut" when it is so- so- soooo far away from a Director's Cut. This is just more new content. Not content added to the base game such as NPC's having larger roles or offering more quest, or cut content being added in, or changes to the base games missions and quest.

Like, wowzers I can see behind the scenes cut story moments. A director's cut would take that cut content and put it back in not make you pay money to essentially just read "Yup, that's some cut content alright!"

So the murder mystery quests Ava is going to give us will come as a part of, wait for it...a podcast she's hosting. Yep, an Ava hosted podcast, because that's what we wanted, Ava to pretty much become even more annoying than Tyreen.

• Played the DLC, and it was the same mediocre DLC as the rest of the DLC in this game. All it really does is set up BL4 or more mediocre DLC.

Also at this point the writing is so bad it gives off second hand embarrassment. It is honestly shocking how consistently not good and boring it is.

• Dont think anything Tales related is there. Atlas soldiers in the first mission can mention Rhys if you talk to him but I am 99% sure its just reused generic Atlas Solider lines. One said Commander Rhys.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.