Borderlands 3 News Thread: Releasing 13/09/2019 PS4, XONE and EGS, Borderlands GOTY Out Now

Comments

• edited October 2019

Special SHIFT code to unlock a halloween skin for each character. Unlimited uses, code expires November 4th, 11:59pm

K9W3T-BJZ59-B9SHB-6B3JT-T9CFF

• bump bump bump

So here are some updates on Tales characters and BL3.

Gearbox released a tweet today of Vaughn, and it was liked by Randy Pitchford. Tales DLC incoming????

In other news, Gearbox accidentally released a placeholder photo full of T-Posing in the games news feed and it features: Gaige, Kreig, and Scooper. (And... Roland? Aurelia? Tons of dead people)

Also, yeah, Scooper is a thing. He was cut content from BL3. He has an echo portrait, missions, and dialogue about him in the games files. He was originally going to be in the game along with “Aunt Ellie” being his mother figure.

• tfw no Fiona still

Honestly, a Tales DLC would be cool and it probably is going to happen, but now that Adhoc and Telltale are a thing, I almost hope they dont do it in hopes they can get the rights back to make a sequel. I actually think BL3 may have some really great potential as a starting point for a Tales 2 as long as it isnt expanded on further, in my mind at least I can picture how it could start while keeping BL3 Rhys story line relevant while also connecting to Tales 1.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

bump bump bump So here are some updates on Tales characters and BL3. Gearbox released a tweet today of Vaughn, and it was liked by Ran

• I've done some research on these leaked images, I can confirm that these are official.

On Reddit, there are many people who claimed that they've seen that image of the t-posing 'new characters' on their menu 4-6 months ago. Heck, some people have better images of the one you provided. It is eye-opening! We could be getting a TFTB DLC finally!

And, I found something out about 'Scooper'. Look at him and compare him to Scooter.

and here's Scooter.

The similarity isn't a coincidence, it is part of a story! Apparently Scooter is the little dude's father! I don't know who the fuck let him put his peen in them, but Scooter has a child. I also have heard that there was a story-line where either scooter or whoever scooter fucked dropped the child on Aunt Ellie's doorstep.

bump bump bump So here are some updates on Tales characters and BL3. Gearbox released a tweet today of Vaughn, and it was liked by Ran

• Bumping, here is the texture for the Sasha pic on Rhys’ desk.

”T_Sasha_Photo_D”

• Bumping an old thread for Rhysha is always justified.

• Borderlands 3 announced a level cap increase to 53

Me: Aw sweet, now I get three extra skill points.

Me, realizing that all the Level 50 gear I have saved in my bank is worthless: Aw shit.

• Gearbox CEO and BL3 Co-Writer
    I datamined BL3 and it really didn’t look like there was going to be a Tales DLC but now that we saw this... maybe????? They are showing a new DLC at Pax.

• edited February 2020

Or, the smiley face could be alluding to "haha yes we put that detail there thx for noticing"

Or yeah maybe they are making a Tales DLC, there's just no files in the base game relating to it. It's so secret, they kept all the files for the DLC release.

Gearbox CEO and BL3 Co-Writer I datamined BL3 and it really didn’t look like there was going to be a Tales DLC but now that we saw this... maybe????? They are showing a new DLC at Pax.

• edited February 2020

I just don’t get it and I’ll tell you why

HUGE BL3 DLC SPOILERS BELOW

So like, if you look for DLC stuff in the files of BL3, you’ll find a ton of stuff spoiling future DLC. Here’s a fraction of the stuff

fantasy stuff almost definitely confirming a Tiny Tina Dragons Keep style DLC. I’m guessing it’s DLC3, since that one has the Butt Stallion horse skin and files for rideable horses, but DLC4 has a mushroom town and fireballs and stuff so idk man.

Audio files showing that a male vault hunter returns as a cult leader. It’s either Krieg, Axton, or Salvador. Krieg has an unused model in the leaked developer placeholder news feed so it’s probably him.

Troy Calypso comes back in DLC4

An upcoming event that’s cyberpunk themed

A ton of Jakob’s weapons for DLC2

None of the stuff points to anything Tales related, but the amount of Sasha hints in the base game and the Randy/co writer tweets just makes it seem like there has to be a Rhys DLC. There’s not going to be more than 4 DLC’s if it’s like BL2, but Tales doesn’t really fit in with anything you can find in the game files.

Idk, I refunded the game. I’ll look through it more when it comes to steam.

AChicken posted: »

Or, the smiley face could be alluding to "haha yes we put that detail there thx for noticing" Or yeah maybe they are making a Tales DLC,

• while am at it these are actually real, I thought they were fanmade when I first saw them.

• wot

gearbox what is this

while am at it these are actually real, I thought they were fanmade when I first saw them.

• We got the announcement of the 2nd BL3 DLC campaign, entitled "Guns, Love, and Tentacles: The Marriage of Wainwright and Hammerlock," set for release March 26th.

Also...GAIGE!!! ANARCHY, FOREVERRRRRRRR...AND EVERRRRRRRR!

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Now that Borderlands 3 is releasing on Steam, I decided to finally play the Borderlands 2 DLC that bridges the gap between 2 and 3, and man, I was excited to see Cassius, one of my favorites from Tales, it just felt... wrong to kill him off and make him a boss battle.

Anyway, started up my own playthrough of Borderlands 3 now, chose to go with Zane even though I was really tempted to go with Amara. Haven't gotten very far, but I like the update to the graphics and some minor gameplay tweaks and conveniences I've seen. Surprised Vaughn showed up so quickly, but I ain't complaining. Only problem is that when I'm playing the game, if I Alt+Tab out to go do something else, it apparently causes all other programs that aren't Borderlands 3 to be really laggy, anyone know what's up with that?

• picks Zane

You are in for a world of pain Dojo

dojo32161 posted: »

Anyway, started up my own playthrough of Borderlands 3 now, chose to go with Zane even though I was really tempted to go with Amara. Haven't

• I picked Zane too, I’m level 15 right now, around a third of the way through the game...

It’s getting tough man. Zane may need some buffs, but he 100% has the best dialogue out of all 4 Hunters.

Poogers555 posted: »

picks Zane You are in for a world of pain Dojo

• Should I get Borderlands 3 now or wait until all dlc is out?

• I’d say you’re fine to get it now. I know it’s on sale for the PS4, and while the DLC’s aren’t completely out, there’s plenty of stuff to keep you entertained until then, there’s a lot of endgame content and side missions.

Menofthe214 posted: »

Should I get Borderlands 3 now or wait until all dlc is out?

• Depends how badly you want to play. Right now on Steam its half off and the season pass also is on sale so its really not a bad deal. All the DLC will be out by around September so its really your call.

That said I dont think it will actually go on a big sale like this again for a while (possibly Steam Summer Sale but not all DLC will be out)

I personally highly recommend BL3 even though its story is disappointing.

Menofthe214 posted: »

Should I get Borderlands 3 now or wait until all dlc is out?

• I think I will consider getting it before the sale ends on Steam. Might as well do it now because like you said, it might not go on a sale like this for a while. Thanks Poogs.

Depends how badly you want to play. Right now on Steam its half off and the season pass also is on sale so its really not a bad deal. All th

• there’s plenty of stuff to keep you entertained until then, there’s a lot of endgame content and side missions.

Good to know, because I was hoping to be playing Borderlands 3 for a while. Thanks Metallica.

I’d say you’re fine to get it now. I know it’s on sale for the PS4, and while the DLC’s aren’t completely out, there’s plenty of stuff to keep you entertained until then, there’s a lot of endgame content and side missions.

• Disappointed by new DLC, honestly liked the main game better. It was cool seeing the Game Grumps guy voice Mancubus.

Since we’ve had Maya, Zer0, Gaige, and soon Krieg appear in BL3. The only BL2 hunters left are Salvador and Krieg, both of which have new Easter eggs in DLC2. Salvador has a poster with his unpaid tab in the lodge and Axton has some new provocative magazines you can find in the lodge.

I can’t help but feel that this is Gearbox’s way of saying “hey look these two won’t be appearing so as an apologize we threw these in.”

Since the main 3 contenders for the Cowboys and Dinosaurs DLC were Salvador, Clay, and Fiona, I really think this rules out Salvador. And since it seems they’re going for 1 returning character per DLC, I think that rules out Clay as being the ONLY returning character.

I think Fiona and Sasha might have a shot at appearing in DLC3... it’s looking good so far.

• I think Fiona and Sasha might have a shot at appearing in DLC3... it’s looking good so far.

Sweeeet.

Disappointed by new DLC, honestly liked the main game better. It was cool seeing the Game Grumps guy voice Mancubus. Since we’ve had Maya

Gotta say, this was a very cute reference. Honestly, I'm glad that Rhys doesn't seem flanderized as a character. Shame about Vaughn, though.

• edited May 2023

Telltale cut content?

• Dude yeah I'd love to hear about it!

Telltale cut content?

• Sure, love me some cut Telltale content.

Telltale cut content?

• Well so far I finished episode 1 and 5. 2 is a complete mess of re-writes its actually insane. Reading all this has got me

weak

Pipas posted: »

Sure, love me some cut Telltale content.

• I like the not-so-subtle Telltale reference there. Most of the non-telltale players will never know.

Gotta say, this was a very cute reference. Honestly, I'm glad that Rhys doesn't seem flanderized as a character. Shame about Vaughn, though.

Yeah, even just looking at episode 2's preview there is so much there, like Gortys and Cassius, who get pushed back to episode three. I think I remember back in the day that Gortys would have been a more depressed robot and if I remember some of the cut audio and summaries, there was a lot more to the biodome and Cassius.

Well so far I finished episode 1 and 5. 2 is a complete mess of re-writes its actually insane. Reading all this has got me weak

• even just looking at episode 2's preview there is so much there

I was under the impression that since it was a very quick montage and there were so many things featured, it was more of a preview of the rest of the season.

Yeah, even just looking at episode 2's preview there is so much there, like Gortys and Cassius, who get pushed back to episode three. I thin

• Honestly surprised he hasnt been removed yet seeing how seems to do nothing but bring bad press.

Randy Pitchford can just go and fuck off, what an asshole. https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245403576198926339 https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245404671948345348

In other news, the April Fools joke for Borderlands 3 is that they made all the special skills tiny.

• He can’t be removed, it’s a privately owned company in which Pitchford is the majority shareholder (he owns 51%)

However, the Kotaku article says that they’re looking to become public on the US Stock Market soon so...

Randy’s days are numbered. Randy has been trying to keep Gearbox private for years so that he won’t be ousted. This will be the death of him and sure that many of the Gearbox and 2k people are organizing this plan with ousting Randy in mind.

Honestly surprised he hasnt been removed yet seeing how seems to do nothing but bring bad press.

• Let’s be honest, no one should be surprised to see Randy acting like a money grubbing douche bag. We’ve all known that for years. If Gearbox does go public, I hope the shareholders can get a good size voting block together to oust this sniveling weasel out of Gearbox. Dude already cares more about his terrible magic tricks than the games, so just leave Pitchford.

• Ah ok- Im not super sure how exactly Gearbox is managed, I thought 2K had a bit more control over them when it came to stuff like this, I guess not. If they do go public it probably will be the end for him as the thingswe know he's done and the things allegedly done if true really should have had him removed a while ago.

He can’t be removed, it’s a privately owned company in which Pitchford is the majority shareholder (he owns 51%) However, the Kotaku arti

• Yeah I was confused about this up until a few weeks ago, 2k doesn’t own Gearbox, they just publish the Borderlands games

Ah ok- Im not super sure how exactly Gearbox is managed, I thought 2K had a bit more control over them when it came to stuff like this, I gu

• edited April 2020

So Jason Schreier's tweets have been shared to the thread, but I felt I should share some of the big parts of Jason's article on this debacle.

The video game Borderlands 3 was a big sales success when it launched last fall, according to its publisher, 2K, which described it as “a billion-dollar global brand.” That’s why it was shocking to employees at Gearbox, the developer of the game, when the studio’s CEO, Randy Pitchford, told them yesterday that they would not receive the significant royalty bonuses they expected.

Employees at the studio will get small bonus checks, but nothing close to the tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands that many had expected. This account is based on conversations with six people close to Gearbox, all speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk about what happened. Some said it was crushing news that has upended their financial plans for the future.

Gearbox, based in Frisco, Texas, offers its employees below-average salaries for the video game industry, according to more than a dozen current and former Gearbox staff who have spoken to Kotaku over the years. To make up for that, the studio offers something unique: profit-sharing. Royalties from all of the developer’s games are split 60/40, with 60% going back into the company (and its owners) while 40% is distributed to employees in the form of quarterly bonuses. This system has been in place since Gearbox’s inception, and when the company has big hits, it can be lucrative. When 2012's massive Borderlands 2 came out, many Gearbox workers made enough money to buy houses—a fact that the studio often touted while recruiting new employees.

Several Gearbox employees told Kotaku that company management promised them six-figure bonuses following the launch of Borderlands 3. The more years they’d been with the company, the larger the check. This vision of financial success helped Gearbox’s developers get through many long nights and weekends working on the game.

Then, in a meeting yesterday, Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford told employees that Borderlands 3 bonus checks would be significantly lower than they hoped, according to three people who were present. He said the game had been more expensive than expected, the company had grown significantly larger than it had been in the past (it now operates a second studio in Quebec, Canada), and that their sales projections had been off-base.

Pitchford also told Gearbox developers that if they weren’t happy with the royalty system, they were welcome to quit, according to those who were in the meeting. He did not attribute the diminished bonuses to the coronavirus pandemic, which has led to economic uncertainty and pay cuts in many other fields. He did say that he hoped to get more money to employees as an advance from 2K on future royalties.

Last year, former Gearbox lawyer Wade Callender became entangled in an ugly set of lawsuits with the studio. In one suit, he alleged that Pitchford had taken a $12 million bonus in 2016, when development started on Borderlands 3. The bonus did exist, according to two people with knowledge of what happened, but it came out of the company’s 60%, not the 40% of profits that were meant to go to employees.

Still, yesterday’s news combined with word of Pitchford’s hefty bonus has upset a number of Gearbox employees, some of whom say they expect an exodus in the near future. Those who made financial plans based on the expectations set by the company’s management may now find themselves in tough spots.

For the full read, please follow this link: https://kotaku.com/sources-despite-huge-sales-borderlands-3-developers-a-1842617645

I'm disgusted by Randy's actions, absolutely disgusted, these developers at Gearbox are working at below average wages, they could be barely making ends meet and struggling at getting food on the table, they were eagerly anticipating the huge payday they were promised that could change the tides, but at the last minute, the rug is pulled from under them, I'm curious to see what this means for Randy, obviously his image was tarnished for other reasons, but this is it really, this is what really solidifies the reputation he has and will continue to hold because of this

Sign in to comment in this discussion.