Has Telltale Given Up on Sam and Max? [nope]

edited December 2009 in Sam & Max
I've bought every single Telltale game since Sam and Max Season 1. I don't understand Strongbad, Wallace and Gromit are cute, but I won't buy another season of either of them. Monkey Island did reduce the Sam and Max craving a little (I will buy future episodes!), but I MISS SAM AND MAX!!! PLEASE make some announcement that you haven't just given up on them. I remember a poll on this site about what game was the favorite, and Sam and Max won by a large margin.

I'm not saying that you should give up all of your other series (although I wouldn't be upset if you gave up at least one of them); just don't forget what got most of us interested in Telltale Games to begin with!

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

RoadRunner

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure there will be a S&M Season 3. We just gotta sit tight and wait for the magic to happen.
  • edited November 2009
    RoadRunner wrote: »
    I've bought every single Telltale game since Sam and Max Season 1. I don't understand Strongbad, Wallace and Gromit are cute, but I won't buy another season of either of them. Monkey Island did reduce the Sam and Max craving a little (I will buy future episodes!), but I MISS SAM AND MAX!!! PLEASE make some announcement that you haven't just given up on them. I remember a poll on this site about what game was the favorite, and Sam and Max won by a large margin.

I'm not saying that you should give up all of your other series (although I wouldn't be upset if you gave up at least one of them); just don't forget what got most of us interested in Telltale Games to begin with!

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

RoadRunner

they're not going to give up on one of the fanchises that started them out.
  • edited November 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    they're not going to give up on one of the fanchises that started them out.
    That's true! It's not like companies that make adventure games have anything like a history of abandoning adventure franchises, Sam and Max in particular, in order to pursue more profitable games.

Oh, right, that was LucasArts. We're talking about Telltale, and they'd never abandon a franchise in exchange for a more profitable one.

bone_bundle_large.png

All snide comments aside, from what I can piece together from the various Telltale statements was that they were in pre-production of Sam and Max Season Three when the chance to make a Monkey Island game fell into their laps. The offer was too extraordinary and profitable to pass up, so they took it. I'm guessing that if the Telltale of half a year ago was going to continue with Sam and Max, the Telltale of now is fairly likely to make it their next series. Sam and Max fans were just spoiled by the short timeframe between seasons 1 and 2. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Bone isn't abandoned, it's just in cryogenic sleep. :p
  • edited November 2009
    All snide comments aside, from what I can piece together from the various Telltale statements was that they were in pre-production of Sam and Max Season Three when the chance to make a Monkey Island game fell into their laps. The offer was too extraordinary and profitable to pass up, so they took it. I'm guessing that if the Telltale of half a year ago was going to continue with Sam and Max, the Telltale of now is fairly likely to make it their next series.

Telltale has enough employees to work on two games, so I suppose Season 3 has been slowly progressing through the background of TOMI development.

It's going to take a while, for Telltale to get all their people back on board for Season 3, because coming back to an unfinished product is hard to do. Ultimately, I hope this doesn't affect season 3...

So don't worry RoadRunner and everyone else, Telltale wouldn't just abandon a project they just started twice, and if they were I'm sure we'd be hearing about it with apologies galore. For now it's still a certain release.

And yes the rest of us are all thinking, dreaming, sketching and needing Season 3, it's not just you. ;)
    Sam and Max fans were just spoiled by the short timeframe between seasons 1 and 2. ;)
    Yeah, that timeframe was just perfect, I barely got aggravated as I am with this season 3 wait. :p
  • edited November 2009

yeah, that timeframe was just perfect, i barely got aggravated as i am with this season 3 wait. :p

exactly
  • edited November 2009
    Perhaps they've been secretly working on it all along, so they can put all five episodes out the day it is announced!

Wouldn't that be a blast?

(No, I don't think this is going to really happen...)

• edited November 2009
    There wouldn't be any particular need to publish the season as seperate episodes then >_>
  • edited November 2009
    I keep hoping they will announce that they will be making S&M season 3 and MI season 2 at the same time.
  • edited November 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I keep hoping they will announce that they will be making S&M season 3 and MI season 2 at the same time.

That would be a dream come true.
  • edited November 2009
    I think the plan is to have longer gaps between games, so for instance in 2010 we get Sam & Max season 3, then a new IP. In 2011 Strong Bad season 2, another IP. 2012 Wallace & Gromit season 2 & MI6. That is assuming that they stick with Strong Bad and Wallace & Gromit and that LucasArts lets them make MI6. But I think the general idea is sound - could even be 3 complete seasons (or just games) a year. And I've not included any probable CSI sequel(s). So really, it's probably not very accurate at all. Ah well.
  • edited November 2009
    There's buzz regarding Sam & Max around. Here's a quote in response to someone asking about if Michael Land is doing all the music in Tales of Monkey Island.
    Jake wrote: »
    As of now it's all Michael Land. Jared's keeping busy full time doing the music for Wallace & Gromit episodes 3 and 4, and I think he'll be busy scoring something that rhymes with schmam and schmax schmeasson schmee, but who knows if he'll come in on the assist as we get further down the road.

And then of course there is this:
    Right now, I’m currently scheduled to do the fourth episode of Sam and Max season three. It’s about time I actually got to do a Sam and Max game that actually ships.

Which leaves me to believe that Telltale have not given up on Sam & Max.
  • edited November 2009
    I think the plan is to have longer gaps between games, so for instance in 2010 we get Sam & Max season 3, then a new IP. In 2011 Strong Bad season 2, another IP. 2012 Wallace & Gromit season 2 & MI6. That is assuming that they stick with Strong Bad and Wallace & Gromit and that LucasArts lets them make MI6. But I think the general idea is sound - could even be 3 complete seasons (or just games) a year. And I've not included any probable CSI sequel(s). So really, it's probably not very accurate at all. Ah well.

I consider the Wallace & Gromit & Strong Bad series to be a cult series, and therefore only occasionally making a new series appearance - because of its much lower popularity in contrast with MI and Sam & Max.

I also see the premise of them getting later series to be very unlikely because they deal with other mediums, were fans can get W&G and Strong Bad (W&G - has the shorts, that are still be released, one I think is due for 2011, whilst Strong Bad has the constantly updated homestarrunner website).

Whilst Sam & Max & MI's only new stuff is here at Telltale, so these two are most likely to be the ones to get at least another series...
  • edited November 2009
    I consider the Wallace & Gromit & Strong Bad series to be a cult series, and therefore only occasionally making a new series appearance - because of its much lower popularity in contrast with MI and Sam & Max.

I also see the premise of them getting later series to be very unlikely because they deal with other mediums, were fans can get W&G and Strong Bad (W&G - has the shorts, that are still be released, one I think is due for 2011, whilst Strong Bad has the constantly updated homestarrunner website).

Whilst Sam & Max & MI's only new stuff is here at Telltale, so these two are most likely to be the ones to get at least another series...

Wallace and Gromit has a habit of taking forever between things though. Next year's TV show may be a good start though.
  • edited November 2009
    I feel fairly confident that a season 3 will happen, even if it takes another year or two. There's high demand for it, and Telltale really seem to care about their fans and customers, and it sounds like they're already well into preproduction anyway.

I know that sometimes a project gets cancelled at this stage, even when it gets to the production stage in some cases, but I still think the release of Sam and Max season 3 is more than likely to happen someday.
  • edited November 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if Season Three happened this December. In fact, I'm almost sure it will :)
  • edited November 2009
    Wallace and Gromit has a habit of taking forever between things though. Next year's TV show may be a good start though.

Yeah but at least it gets some material, all us Sam & Max fans get nowadays is the video games.

That's the point I'm trying to make.
  • edited November 2009
    Well, I hope, that we will indeed be getting a new webcomic with season 3, when ever season 3 is released.
  • edited November 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Well, I hope, that we will indeed be getting a new webcomic with season 3, when ever season 3 is released.

And machinimas, and sites that mirror in-jokes... Tee shirts... I'm open for every potential product with advertisemental purposes.
  • edited November 2009
    Hopefuly, a wonder what happens series..or something done by majus arts.
  • edited November 2009
    Falanca wrote: »
    And machinimas, and sites that mirror in-jokes... Tee shirts... I'm open for every potential product with advertisemental purposes.

Fixed. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    The cancellation of Freelance Police must make all Sam & Max fans extra nervous.. That quote from Mike Stemmle is a pretty good reason to suggest that they are working on Season 3, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • edited November 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    The cancellation of Freelance Police must make all Sam & Max fans extra nervous.. That quote from Mike Stemmle is a pretty good reason to suggest that they are working on Season 3, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm pretty sure it will be either the series they announce next, or the series after.
  • edited November 2009
    Hopefully it's a remake of Season One and Two that actually allows the original voices!

You know, because America hasn't been allowed to have them for four years...
  • edited November 2009
    Ooh dear. Some people will never let go of that, will they?
  • edited November 2009
    Teeth wrote: »
    Ooh dear. Some people will never let go of that, will they?

And that's exactly why I want Telltale to do that, because as long as this period without the original voices continues, there are going to be people who will never let go of it.

I wish people would take into account the reason WHY we want those voices so badly. Think about it... there's only one Sam and Max product that has them. But it's not sold in the United States. The country they were from. The country where they recorded those lines. And, in addition, the other project they were working on got taken away from them, and is still being locked away for no reason whatsoever!

And it saddens me that there's too much callousness on this forum, and too many people not caring about them at all...

Four years? That's long enough, people. The original voices of Sam and Max deserve FAR better than this.
  • edited November 2009
    lattsam wrote: »
    Four years? That's long enough, people. The original voices of Sam and Max deserve FAR better than this.
    They were originally a comic, though. So they didn't have voices originally. And then when they were the big names, the animated series went with someone else. It doesn't feel like they are particularly "definitive", and by now fans of the Telltale Sam and Max games are used to and enjoy the current voices.
  • edited November 2009
    They were originally a comic, though. So they didn't have voices originally. And then when they were the big names, the animated series went with someone else. It doesn't feel like they are particularly "definitive", and by now fans of the Telltale Sam and Max games are used to and enjoy the current voices.

Don't mind lattsam, he's just letting his nostalgia run wild and ruin excellent games for him.
  • edited November 2009
    And that's exactly why I want Telltale to do that, because as long as this period without the original voices continues, there are going to be people who will never let go of it.

I wish people would take into account the reason WHY we want those voices so badly. Think about it... there's only one Sam and Max product that has them. But it's not sold in the United States. The country they were from. The country where they recorded those lines. And, in addition, the other project they were working on got taken away from them, and is still being locked away for no reason whatsoever!

And it saddens me that there's too much callousness on this forum, and too many people not caring about them at all...

I like the new voices better, eat it. :p

But in all seriousness, the guys doing the voices have been doing them for a good while now and have a great feel for the characters. A change at this point would be jarring to say the least
  • edited November 2009
    JedExodus wrote: »
    I like the new voices better, eat it. :p

I will not eat it! You can't make me eat it!
  • edited November 2009
    I will not eat it! You can't make me eat it!

gun.jpg

Now, eat it, don't make me ask again
  • edited November 2009
    People are going to kick my head in for this, but...

I dont think there is going to be a S3, or it will only come when TTG is desperate for a new release.

Even if it was the series that put them on the map, it's less profitable and has a narrower audience than most of their other games. (I'm acctually stunned that they're not cranking out CSI: games seeing that CSI: is more popular that it ever has been) S+M has a narrow audience because (1) it has "cartoon characters" which will automatically turn off a large number of adults ("its for kids") and in turn (2) most kids wont play it because of the mature content, then (3) the off-beat humor wont land with a lot of people, or will not be appareciated, (4) the semi-crude content will turn off most of the right-wing conservatives. This is not even counting that right now most games are FPS and lots of people will simply not want to buy an old-school point-and-click game.

On the other paw, for example, wallice and gromit (1) is well known to be all-ages (2) is kid friendly, (3) and (4) AFAIK contains no crude or off-beat humor to offend anyone. It's a very market-friendly game.

TOMI, from what I've heard (not played it yet) is also not as off-beat or crude as S+M and again doesnot evoke the "it's a kids game" like seeing an anthro dog and rabbity-thing.

Honestly, from a monitary PoV I see no reason for TTG to seriously persue S+M when they ahve other franchises that are much easier to sell and likely more popular overall.

Also, Should I point out that in NONE of the "where is S3?" threads has there been even ONE post from a TTG member. They are keeping their mouths shut because they know when they finally announce "Season 3 has been put on hold indeffinately" aka CANCELED, that it will evoke seering rage and a virtual lynch mob of all the fans that were so upset on the demise of the Lucus Arts Freelance Police.

They're stalling so people will buy their other games "while we wait for S3" and they are hoping we get addicted to those games so that when they cancel S+M we wont all boycot their products...
  • edited November 2009
    Sam & Max is the series that made Telltale as popular as they are and I feel is their most popular series (though ToMI won't be far behind). They'd be stupid not to do a 3rd season and the lack of comment from Telltale staff is far from unusual - they're probably not allowed to say anything until it's officially announced.
  • edited November 2009
    Your list of facts only comes from generalizing the majority of gaming industry, which can't mirror the details of how it actually is. While most people go for FPS genre games, there will always be a minor grouping of people (alas it's NOT that minor, it's proven to be quite enough for Telltale Games to get bigger) who wants to experience other genres. sure, 95% of people who play games like FPS. This doesn't mean 5% is unimportant. It's a PRETTY big amount, too.

The terms "market-friendly" or "crude humor" can only be used for people who have never played any adventure games and want to experience it. The humor that Sam and Max has may be too much for minors, or some may find the characters' looks childish; but the franchise already has a big (not huge, but big) fandom behind it, so this is not a big deal. Also I believe that the true "market-friendly" product is that product that gives the consumer what he/she wants. I mean, people only care this stuff like "violence" or "crudeness" if there is a big disturbance involved. I don't think Sam and Max's crude humor is even comparable to the amount of violence seen in games like Manhunt or GTA, so there shouldn't be any problem.

Sam and Max is a quite big franchise, and it can be called as a "classic". I mean, if you like the old-school TMNT or Godzilla or whatever, Sam and Max is for you. If you like blowing some zombie heads or controlling a big army to conquer a land, you probably can't like those games.

In fact, developers already mentioned about Sam and Max S3 is in development, and they keep their pieholes shut to give it a little hype.
  • edited November 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    They're stalling so people will buy their other games "while we wait for S3" and they are hoping we get addicted to those games so that when they cancel S+M we wont all boycot their products...

tin-foil-hat.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    Holy crap. There is a lolcat for EVERYTHING.
  • edited November 2009
    Baseless nonsense

... Sam and Max is their second most successful series as far as I've heard, behind only Monkey Island.
  • edited November 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    ... Sam and Max is their second most successful series as far as I've heard, behind only Monkey Island.

I'd bet my left tit on it
  • edited November 2009
    Also, Should I point out that in NONE of the "where is S3?" threads has there been even ONE post from a TTG member. They are keeping their mouths shut because they know when they finally announce "Season 3 has been put on hold indeffinately" aka CANCELED, that it will evoke seering rage and a virtual lynch mob of all the fans that were so upset on the demise of the Lucus Arts Freelance Police.
    Or they learned from the last time that they announced Season Three. When it was under development and set for release in early 2009, a chance to make Monkey Island happened.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    Hi.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.