Your thoughts on surprise(!) Sam & Max Penal Zone iPad announcement?

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Well what can I say I'm surprised, shocked maybe. Saw it first time in forums and thought it was april fools joke :rolleyes: that was before i went to iTunes and saw that listing :eek: I have an iPod touch and with no intentions on getting an iPad. I already pre ordered on PSN and I still have to wait until April 15th to get The Penal Zone and iPad guys just have to wait until April 3 :(

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Slight annoyance, I'll have to avoid spoilers longer, but otherwise doesn't really affect me.
  • edited April 2010
    I think its great, while I am jealous that iPad gets it earlier, I think its a fantastic opportunity for TTG as a company to reach even more people and then grow as a company.
  • edited April 2010
    Apple owners have a lot of money, so it's good, particularly for launch day!

Finally Telltale will have the funds to finance "JedExodus: Sex Adventurer!"
  • edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    Apple owners have a lot of money, so it's good, particularly for launch day!

Finally Telltale will have the funds to finance "JedExodus: Sex Adventurer!"
    I'm not so sure. Your design document is pretty extensive, and the demands for that many characters on-screen at once could be really taxing on some of Telltale's release platforms.
  • edited April 2010
    So already I have to wait till April 16th to play, because the managers of the playstation network are a bunch of lazy asses who never update the store before 6PM on Thursdays (I.E. 2 hours after I leave for work) ... Then I find out that my PSN pre-order does not grant me access to the Season 3 private forum

Now I find out that early iPad adapters get the game 2 weeks early, and that after tomorrow I have to avoid this site in fear of spoilers...

No, I'm not mad at all... Telltale has every right to make sure they are one of the first games available for the iPad... Yes, it's a reasonable business decision, and I'm sure the world would end if they waited 2 weeks and released it at the same time as the other platforms

Nope, I'm not mad at all...

*Kicks a trashcan across the room*
  • edited April 2010
    that's soo not right, i and many others already have you guys triple that amount and we have to wait 13 days and they don't?? i am NOT amused and i'm sure i'm not the only one
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not so sure. Your design document is pretty extensive, and the demands for that many characters on-screen at once could be really taxing on some of Telltale's release platforms.

Some would say extensive, I would say I just want to make the world well-realised. The characters count I may be able to compromise on, but the Mayan deity stays!!
  • edited April 2010
    I think some of you are being pretty darned selfish or just to not realize how big of an opportunity this was for TTG...
  • edited April 2010
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    So already I have to wait till April 16th to play, because the managers of the playstation network are a bunch of lazy asses who never update the store before 6PM on Thursdays (I.E. 2 hours after I leave for work) ... Then I find out that my PSN pre-order does not grant me access to the Season 3 private forum

Now I find out that early iPad adapters get the game 2 weeks early, and that after tomorrow I have to avoid this site in fear of spoilers...

No, I'm not mad at all... Telltale has every right to make sure they are one of the first games available for the iPad... Yes, it's a reasonable business decision, and I'm sure the world would end if they waited 2 weeks and released it at the same time as the other platforms

Nope, I'm not mad at all...

*Kicks a trashcan across the room*

Yeah, but I live in Croatia and that's a very far time zone, so when you get Sam and Max I'm gonna be sleeping, so again when I wake up its going to be April 16th... and technically I'm also not mad... *shots everybody in a 200 meter distance*
  • edited April 2010
    I'm kinda mixed. I'm happy for TTG. I understand the business decision. But I also know that thanks to apple (and my current financial situation) I can't just go out tomorrow and buy an iPad, so only the people who pre-ordered it 3 months ago even have this opportunity. So its not like I ever had a chance anyway. But I still feel a little cheated especially since I pre-ordered the game as soon as I knew. Hell I may go buy the ep on the iPad even though I know I won't be able to play it for another few months... dunno.
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think some of you are being pretty darned selfish or just to not realize how big of an opportunity this was for TTG...
    I'll admit i don't, but neither does my credit card
  • edited April 2010
    Your thoughts on surprise(!) Sam & Max Penal Zone iPad announcement?

I don't mind that it is going to be on the iPad...but why does it get an early surprise release weeks after the pre-orders for the full season started?
  • edited April 2010
    I don't mind that it is going to be on the iPad...but why does it get an early surprise release weeks after the pre-orders started?

EXACTLY MY ISSUE! i don't mind the support itself at all
  • edited April 2010
    So what some of you are saying is that if TTG just gave you a copy of the game you would refuse to play it because it wouldn't be "fair" to the rest of us who pre-ordered?
  • edited April 2010
    well no of course i'd play it, not sure what that has to do with anything, i'm not mad at the players
  • edited April 2010
    Yes its a huge opportunity... being one of the first applications for the iPad, and i am elated for them... but does waiting 2 weeks so the game can have a unified worldwide launch actually cost them anything? No, it doesn't

Normally i would not say anything, i am usually the quiet one round here. But unfair treatment always makes me want to speak out...

I am sick and tired of getting the short end of the stick when it comes to exclusivity deals, in my opinion they are killing video games as we know it... Not to mention the fact that I am NEVER part of the group that gets something early because of adopting a certain service or format... I am always one of the people being punished for my loyalty to another format and I am done with it, if I was able to cancel my PSN pre-order for S3 I would do so in a heartbeat!

Why? you ask? Because I was screwed by the GT deal when season one and two came out (anyone remember my timeless infraction-winning blowout in '07 over it?)... Because I could not get the GTA:IV expansions because I do not have an X360... Because I was screwed out of 15 bucks by Ubisoft on AC2 to buy expansions and maps I could have gotten for free if I had pre-ordered at Gamestop... Because I Had to buy a second copy of Lost Season 5 because I was unaware that Bestbuy had an exclusive edition... Because Spent over 30 bucks on little big planet add ons only to have the "game of the year edition" come out in secret a week later which offered them all for free... and now Because of this business with the iPad, shall I go on?

I am sick and tired of being screwed over and left behind by deals like this... everyone should get the same things at the same time for the same price no matter which format they use

If anyone disagrees, then you are probably always part of the group who gets something special, cheap, or early... and for that I hate you :mad:
  • edited April 2010
    March: Preorders for the full season for PC and PS3 started...

Example: -"Oh My God! The preorders for the new Sam and Max started! I'm purchasing it right away!".

Me: -"Alright! I'll preorder it for PS3...I'll charge my PSN wallet...wait, why isn't it available on the EU store? What I do with my PSN wallet now?...(two weeks later) Oh! It's available on the EU store! I'm a bit angry, but I'll buy it anyway.

April: Surprise! It's available NOW for the iPad!

Example -"Oh My God! I didn't know it was going to be released on the iPad too! And two weeks in advance?! I'M PURCHASING IT AGAIN!".

Me -"...".

See my point?
  • edited April 2010
    I gotta say, I'm happy for telltale "expanding" buisness, but seriously, is anyone actually BUYING the ipad? It's just an oversized iphone, but its an oversized iphone with sam and max (sniff, tears)
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    I am sick and tired of getting the short end of the stick when it comes to exclusivity deals

Exclusivity deals aren't as common as you think. Gamers and gamer media have hilariously incorrect perceptions of the video game industry.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't understand why people don't see that it's essential for it to be available on the iPad at launch. Tonnes of people will be booting up their iPads for the first time this week and deciding what to buy. They might see Sam & Max and decide to give it a shot... however if it is released in two weeks time after everyone's already gone app-crazy people may be reluctant to spend any more money in the store.

I'm pretty sad that the people with the most money will be able to play before me when I've already paid for the game and they haven't yet - but I'll get over it. In two weeks time when I'm grinning like a fool I'll have forgotten all about this. Telltale is a great company who deserve extra exposure and of course extra money.
    I gotta say, I'm happy for telltale "expanding" buisness, but seriously, is anyone actually BUYING the ipad? It's just an oversized iphone, but its an oversized iphone with sam and max (sniff, tears)

The fact that it can run Sam & Max surely suggests it's more than just an oversized iPhone. And as Hitler rightly pointed out, it doesn't even make calls.
  • edited April 2010
    I still don't see the big deal.... It would be different if TTG said "and by the way we are pushing the PC release date back"
  • edited April 2010
    When the iPad was first announced, I was interested in it.

But...

-The Spanish version of the iPad comes out later than the U.S. version.
    -The Spanish version of the iPad can't buy or view movies. (Not even in English).
    -The Spanish version of the iPad can't buy or view TV shows. (Not even in English).
    -The Spanish version of the iPad can't buy or read ebooks through the iBookstore. (Not even in English, and even if they are released in Spanish I can't buy them anyway).
  • edited April 2010
    I'm happy for all the guys and gals that can get an Ipad AND Sam and Max early. I need to wait until (at least) end of April for my Ipad here in europe.

I'm quite unhappy about all the hate, be it towards the Ipad, the Ipad version of Sam and Max, the "I'm not able to play it first" Hate, and all the other kinds of stupid and senseless negativity.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm happy for all the guys and gals that can get an Ipad AND Sam and Max early. I need to wait until (at least) end of April for my Ipad here in europe.

I'm quite unhappy about all the hate, be it towards the Ipad, the Ipad version of Sam and Max, the "I'm not able to play it first" Hate, and all the other kinds of stupid and senseless negativity.

i've got no hate for anyone, TTG or otherwise, but we all gotta vent sometimes don't we? *hugs to all*
  • edited April 2010
    I hate everyone and everything.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    i've got no hate for anyone, TTG or otherwise, but we all gotta vent sometimes don't we? *hugs to all*

*hugs*
    I hate everyone and everything.

*big hugs*
  • edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Exclusivity deals aren't as common as you think. Gamers and gamer media have hilariously incorrect perceptions of the video game industry.

Are. You. Serious?!

More than 50% of the games, movies, and TV sets released in the last 24 months have had some type of exclusive content deal with a retailer or format!

And thats not spin from some media outlet... Thats an actual percentage ratio based on both my working in retail (seeing the deals myself) and the DVD, PS3, PC, and blu-ray discs sitting on my shelves right on front of me... half of it has some "fond" memory of me being pissed off before or after buying it because I could not get something neat with it due to one reason or another

and while its true Telltale may gain some exposure and cash for being available at launch , they have also lost some things... Their integrity and one of their most loyal customers

Sorry Telltale, but its Deja-Gametap all over again... pass me over once, shame on you... do it twice, shame on me

If you wanted to release the iPad version earlier, should should have mentioned it before you started taking Pre-orders, or not started taking Pre-orders till now... Either way, you chose to hold back information on this release and did not fully disclose information about which formats were supported and the dates when all the versions would be released... forcing us to think that there were only 2 version choices and one set release date for both

You handled this situation with deception, omission, and extreme unprofessionalism... So I am standing up to it in my own small way

Who would have thought that my 1000'th post would be my last one :(
  • edited April 2010
    That's okay, it's your 999th. And you're going completely ballistic over something that at most is a minor annoyance. Unlike the Wallace and Gromit DVD issues, this means absolutely nothing for PC consumers other than a need to be careful of spoilers before PC launch.

Apple isn't paying Telltale anything extra to get the game 12 days early, so it's not an exclusivity deal. Gametap gave Telltale the money they needed to actually develop Sam and Max Seasons One and Two. By all means, Season Three is the least externally-affected season to date.
  • edited April 2010
    Are. You. Serious?!

Cue "LONG RANT ABOUT HOW BASICALLY NOTHING HAS CHANGED FOR ME BUT OTHER PEOPLE MIGHT BE ABLE TO PLAY IT BEFORE ME ON A SYSTEM AND NOBODY TOLD ME BECAUSE I'M THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON AND NO ONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE THE GAME BEFORE ME".

You handled this situation with deception, omission, and extreme unprofessionalism... So I am standing up to it in my own small way

See - that's what I meant by "Senseless Hate".
  • edited April 2010
    LOL internet melt down is LOL
  • edited April 2010
    If that had been the front page yesterday, I would have definitely thought it was an April Fools joke, but maybe the iPad isn't as useless as I previously imagined...
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    LOL internet melt down is LOL
    I don't think that insulting a person without at the very least explaining why you're insulting them is a pretty poor move overall. I suppose it's fine if you really don't plan to make yourself look at at reasonable to the other party, but then it's just internet bashing. Fine if that's what you're going for, but it's not really discussion now, is it?

...it's weird being on the side of the "this isn't a problem" crowd.
  • edited April 2010
    LOL internet melt down is LOL because it made me laugh... and laughing is healthy...

better?
  • edited April 2010
    I understand why TTG is doing this, but it still hurts a little. :(
  • edited April 2010
    I haven't pre-ordered this game but i am so mad i am going to find dangerzone we're gonna start up an army

we gonna invade ur land

rally the militias

we burn down all those in our way

and conquer all wal marts

getting the economic powah

to seize all ipads

and stop this injustice

also we will imprison grossman evil king of corproate greed

or i will cry about it in this corner

either one

...u sux telltale
  • edited April 2010
    My thoughts are "meh, I'm not getting an iPad so it doesn't change anything for me".

But good for them I guess.
  • edited April 2010
    Are. You. Serious?!

More than 50% of the games, movies, and TV sets released in the last 24 months have had some type of exclusive content deal with a retailer or format!
    :(
    calm down hun, yeah it sucks but everything's gonna be ok
  • MRNMRN
    edited April 2010
    I'm shocked and appalled!

I would love it for they to bring the PC and PS3 date to the 3rd aswell. Too bad it isn't gonna happen :(
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    If you wanted to release the iPad version earlier, should should have mentioned it before you started taking Pre-orders, or not started taking Pre-orders till now...

To be fair, the opportunity didn't present itself until after we had already started pre-orders, and we couldn't just come out and tell everyone about it because we were contractually obliged not to.

In fact, 90% of the studio didn't even know about it until yesterday. It's been kept under extreme lock and key at Apple's bequest. I still haven't even seen the sucker, and I've got my hands in a bit of everything around here.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Are. You. Serious?!

Yes. "Exclusivity deals" are rare. Launch date discrepancies are usually due to the wildly different platform-specific hoops a developer has to jump through, limited porting resources, along with whenever a platform owner allows you to actually publish content on their service.

Money is very rarely changing hands for this stuff, but everyone on the Internet seems to think it does due to a handful of high-profile examples.

Bonus secret: If your game isn't going to help sell a ton of hardware units, the hardware maker is not going to give you money to be exclusive to their system.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.