Your thoughts on surprise(!) Sam & Max Penal Zone iPad announcement?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    And I don't know about anyone else, but I consider a "kick to/punch in the face" something more along the lines of, say, Telltale suddenly offering the first 50 people who pre-ordered the PC/Mac version of Season 3 links to download Episode 1 right now, without ever informing everyone else that this was going to happen. Throwing those words around just seems a bit ... well, hyperbolic otherwise. At least to me. *shrug*

It's not a punch in the face. It's more like, leave me without dessert today. Or tell me I'm going to have classes 5 minutes before the said class, when I supposed do not have classes that day.

Umpleaseant at best. But unpleaseant anyway. That's all I tried to say.
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    It's not a punch in the face. It's more like, leave me without dessert today. Or tell me I'm going to have classes 5 minutes before the said class, when I supposed do not have classes that day.

Umpleaseant at best. But unpleaseant anyway. That's all I tried to say.

I totally get that; the dessert analogy is a good one. Also, I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that, somewhere out there, someone is playing The Penal Zone right now as opposed to the 15th, as I and the rest of the world had originally anticipated.

I just get tired of some people (not you) acting as if this was some breach of contract or trust. In the end, we're still getting exactly what we paid for -- to be among the first to play the PC/Mac/PS3/Steam version of The Devil's Playhouse, along with the goodies promised for whatever version you pre-ordered. What happened with the iPad version is ultimately incidental and reasonable (even commendable) as a business move, if not 100% ideal on all fronts.

But yes -- disappointment? Totally understandable. Fiery, unrelenting RAGE, as demonstrated so vividly in this thread and elsewhere? Not so much.
  • edited April 2010
    I think "a kick in the face" would be more along the lines of "The Wallace and Gromit DVD".
  • edited April 2010
    I think "a kick in the face" would be more along the lines of "The Wallace and Gromit DVD".

Alas, you would be correct. :(
  • edited April 2010
    But yes -- disappointment? Totally understandable. Fiery, unrelenting RAGE, as demonstrated so vividly in this thread and elsewhere? Not so much.

Still using the Desert analogy, it's depend of how you think about don't get the desert. Some people act more mature, and others like the end of the world.
    I just get tired of some people (not you) acting as if this was some breach of contract or trust. In the end, we're still getting exactly what we paid for -- to be among the first to play the PC/Mac/PS3/Steam version of The Devil's Playhouse, along with the goodies promised for whatever version you pre-ordered. What happened with the iPad version is ultimately incidental and reasonable (even commendable) as a business move, if not 100% ideal on all fronts.

I have no idea if that is actually a good Bussiness side move. Since the Episodic Gaming is 50% awesome content, 50% trust, hurting that trust a bit is bad either way. But Telltale is the expert on that, not me.

I think the free time they had before become famous and start to grow backfires to Telltale. I mean, when they did the first DVDs, they had a lot of time and they could do it Awesome. But now, they don't have the time and never anticipate the impact of the Awesome quality of the first releases to the next ones.

After that, I hope the W&G DVD experience help them to understand when you do something awesome in the past, you are signing an imaginary contract with the client of doing something that awesome in the future. And I hope they will apply it in the S&M S3 dvd =P
  • edited April 2010
    I have no idea if that is actually a good Bussiness side move. Since the Episodic Gaming is 50% awesome content, 50% trust, hurting that trust a bit is bad either way. But Telltale is the expert on that, not me.
    There is no trust issue. Telltale has not broken any promises.

Really, I can't believe people feel like they've been insulted or betrayed. Guess what -- you haven't.
  • edited April 2010
    Let's me say something:

I don't really care of who play it first because I'm paying for the content. Since the content will be awesome (It's better be!) I don't care. But this is a letdown anyway.

I mean, we PRE-ORDERED. With that, comes the implicit promise of been the one of the first to play it. But, suddenly, someone else play it before me without doing the same process. And I don't care about graphics, that content is delivered to someone else before me, and I'm dissapointed because, in a way, you promise me we'll be the first people. And we aren't

This is like the Pre-order Bonus ToMI no-so-anymore-exclusive slipcover. I didn't pre-order ToMI, but that was, for me, also a punch in the face. I didn't say anything that time because I knew I was overreacting, but this is the second time.

I know it's not a big deal and I'm going to play the Season 3 anyway and it's going to be awesome, but, it's a letdown. Anyway.

(By the way, the tag welcome2overreationville just make my day. It's awesome.)

Pre ordering doesn't mean that you get to play it first overall, just you should have the product by the release date on the specific platform. There was never an explicit promise that we would play it before anyone else.
  • edited April 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    There is no trust issue. Telltale has not broken any promises.

Really, I can't believe people feel like they've been insulted or betrayed. Guess what -- you haven't.

You can't manage consumer expectations. Telltale is still delivering exactly what they promised, but, at the same time, the consumer always expect something more, even if it's not in the contract.

Apparently, for some people, is important to play first that thing. So, in a way, they pre-order for get that and they fail at it, even if there's no where in the contract the game couldn't ship early for some reason for other platform or something. If they don't get that, even if it's not at the actual contract but it's implicit in some way, they feel betrayed.

I really think they are overreacting too, but, at the same time, I understand. I don't share the feeling, but I can understand.
    patters wrote: »
    Pre ordering doesn't mean that you get to play it first overall, just you should have the product by the release date on the specific platform. There was never an explicit promise that we would play it before anyone else.

No, there's no an explicit promise, but there's an implied one. Or, at least, I implied that. For a moment, I though the word "implicit" do not exists in english. I just checked just in case. Fiuuuu

Anyway, I could care less of when I play it if I'm getting it anyway the day it's released. Still bug me though. A little.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, with Ginny's post I think I understand it better. I still think it's different from the preo-order slipcase: it was stated that only preorders would get it, and then that changed.
    Here, it was never stated we'd be the first to play. However, I understand the fact that we've been expecting this season for a long, long time, preordered it oever two weeks ago and still can't play it, and people who might never have heard of Sam & Max get to play it first, and that might seem unfair.

With preorders, someone could preorder it now and get it at the same time I do. It's not first come, first served, but on the other hand everyone gets it at the same time. Here it can feel like "first come, last served", I guess.

I still really don't care much about that, personally. But I think I understand better why other people would.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm insanely happy that this thread is doing what a stereotypical RAGE thread has the potential to do: Actually help people who don't understand why people are upset understand, even if they don't agree.

Also, on a better note, this thread has been a boon for the ridiculous tags industry. "iPad mypostcount" and "ttg secretly hates you" are my favorites.

I think I visited Overreationville once. They have great fresh produce.
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010
    People bitterly complaining about not getting the game first, even to the point of cancelling their preorders in some cases, are really being childish, selfish and maybe just plain dumb.

First, the preorder didn't grant you playing first, even if the iPad release didn't exist. If you preorder, you still play on release day, the same as people who order the game on the day of the release. Since Telltale can't run out of digital copies of their games and preordering won't get you the games any earlier than the intended release date, preordering is just meant for people wanting to support the company (the little preorder bonuses alone are not really worth it, IMO).

Second, I don't get why the fact that someone might be playing a game before you do is troubling you so much, but anyway, maybe you people don't realize that you never play any game first, because reviewers and other people usually get the game several days or weeks ahead of the release date!

Third, Telltale has not pushed back the PC/Mac/PS3 releases because of the iPad release. The release date for those three platforms still hasn't changed (and even if the iPad version is out, they aren't holding back the other versions, they're just giving them their final touches), so you really have nothing to complain about. Having a launch title for a new platform is a great opportunity for Telltale to be "in the spotlight", which can only benefit all TTG games, even if you hate Apple, the iPad or whatever. Suggesting Telltale should delay the iPad release (or even not release it at all in that platform, like I've read in the blog comments) only so others don't play before you is, as I said above, childish and selfish.

So, long story short... Stop behaving like spoiled brats!
  • edited April 2010
    Internet rage over such trivial matters continues to baffle me...

Good job on expanding your catalogue Telltale! I'm more than happy to play your game on the 15th.
  • edited April 2010
    Even though I'm a PC guy, I think the iPAD release benefits us all. Releasing Sam&Max for iPAD on it's launch day guarantees the best chance for success. And if TTG makes a lot of money with its games, we can rest assured that they will continue making games and don't suddenly go Lucasarts on us.
  • edited April 2010
    MasterTutu wrote: »
    Even though I'm a PC guy, I think the iPAD release benefits us all. Releasing Sam&Max for iPAD on it's launch day guarantees the best chance for success. And if TTG makes a lot of money with its games, we can rest assured that they will continue making games and don't suddenly go Lucasarts on us.

Shhhh! Don't bring logic into the this!
  • edited April 2010
    patters wrote: »

I think the issue was, despite the TTG engines awesome mega cross-platformness (except <BrokenRecord tact="on">my OS</BrokenRecord>) traditionally the PC is their launch platform.

I've no doubt this is largely due to the various delays imposed by the various console marketplace systems, rather than the build system or conscious choice. Thats my impression, but Now We Know (and knowing is half the battle!)

- Ender
  • edited April 2010
    Man... some of you guys are really something.

A couple of years ago, i was lamenting myself ( so did you ) that the good old adventure genre was dead as a doornail on the PC. Now thanks to TellTale, it as come back in full glory. With games like Sam and Max, Monkey Island , Wallace and Gromit, SBCG4AP et Bones, they have resurected the genre and are a highly profitable and successfull company. It means that, throught they're reputation, they have the possibility to arrive tomorrow morning and surprise you with TALES OF MANIAC MANSION, TALES OF FULLTHROTTLE, Etc etc etc... And yet some people get mad at the company for doing something like this. It is a brilliant marketing move taking advantage of the chance to be the best day 1 product on a new format, if anything, this will create even more Sam and Max fans and absolutely ASSURE us a season 4, wich is what we, as Sam and Max fans, should care about.

I don't mind waiting a few more days for this game. In fact, just knowing that it is coming out, that i have pre-ordered it, that it exists, makes me total happy. Of course, TellTale can'T expect to please everyone, but you still love them and so do i:)
  • edited April 2010
    Alas, you would be correct. :(

What do you mean? What's wrong with the DVD? ( i didn't ask for it yet )
  • edited April 2010
    Well, TTG developing for the iPad get them ready for Apple's next big products!! :D

imat.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    what... no iWall, followed by iHouse?
  • edited April 2010
    Come to think of it, TellTale's episodic software is actually a pretty good match for Apple's episodic hardware.
  • edited April 2010
    On another note, does anyone know if S&M have been front paged on iTunes yet? I know it wasn't when I checked last night, but I can't check it now cause I'm at work. If Telltale went crazy to do all this and then doesn't get any advertising from apple, that'd be hecka dumb.

Also, S&M was #48 I think on the list of top sellers. Anyone know if that number changed?
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010
    MussKatt wrote: »
    And yet some people get mad at the company for doing something like this. It is a brilliant marketing move taking advantage of the chance to be the best day 1 product on a new format, if anything, this will create even more Sam and Max fans and absolutely ASSURE us a season 4, wich is what we, as Sam and Max fans, should care about.

Exactly! :)

It will be great publicity for them, which is good whether you are an Apple user or not.
  • edited April 2010
    My first thought when I heard that as a paying customer I would have to receive a product I've already paid for, after an inferior product (which I have no desire to purchase or even support at this time) gets an early release was to go and cancel my pre-order, kill all ties with Tell-tale, and just all around be pissed off. Then I stopped, took a deep breath and thought about it. Am I angry about this? Yes. Do I feel it's unfair that Tell-tale is shafting its true customer base for (again) an inferior product on a platform that in my opinion they should not align themselves with (For more examples look at how the Apple store deals with its products for the IPhone (their apps))? Damn right I do.

But, then I remembered, this is the studio that brought Freaking Monkey Island back from the dead. When I remember this, all is forgiven. The fact that I became a Sam and Max fan after finding out about Monkey Islands resurrection is beside the point. Tell-tale, while I may not agree with your decision, it is your business what platforms you distribute to. If you can make money with the IPad, Mac, Steam, Etc...more power to you.

What I do take a small exception with, are some of the Mods on this site, not taking some of these legitimate gripes seriously (Not you Jake) and offering weak excuses or insults to posters who are rightly upset. I realize this is the internet and we all hide behind a persona, but come on, don't insult our intelligence and show a little class.

In the end it doesn't matter, grand scheme wise. I'll wait like I was going to. Any company that handles Monkey Island as Tell Tale did gets a major pass from me. Just do me a favor and keep making more of them. *Smiles*

-mith
  • edited April 2010
    SlasherMan wrote: »
    Well, TTG developing for the iPad get them ready for Apple's next big products!! :D

imat.jpg

Aww thought apple's next product would be the iCar! :(
  • edited April 2010
    MrQuizmo wrote: »
    Also, S&M was #48 I think on the list of top sellers. Anyone know if that number changed?

Well as of posting time... I'm checking in my computers iTunes the iPad top 100 overall and The Penal Zone isn't even on the list! :( Thought it would sell more, idk... but in Games top 100 it's currently #54

Looking at some reviews some people say it's too slow and laggy, apparently
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010
    What I do take a small exception with, are some of the Mods on this site, not taking some of these legitimate gripes seriously (Not you Jake) and offering weak excuses or insults to posters who are rightly upset.

Well, I didn't see any mod or TTG employee being insulting. I was (sorry about that) but I'm not a mod. I kinda overreacted at the overreacters ;) (if that makes sense).
    Well as of posting time... I'm checking in my computers iTunes the iPad top 100 and The Penal Zone isn't even on the list! :( Thought it would sell more, idk...

Though being on launch day is great to make themselves more broadly known, I don't think they'll sell that much on that platform, if only because it's not really a gaming platform.
    Looking at some reviews some people say it's too slow and laggy, apparently

That's what happens with these kinds of ports (like ToMI Wii).
    Though the iPhone was supposed to be more powerful than Wii ;)
    And the iPad is more powerful than the iPhone, but maybe is still not powerful enough for the awesomeness of Sam & Max :D
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    OMA wrote: »
    That's what happens with these kinds of ports (like ToMI Wii).
    Though the iPhone was supposed to be more powerful than Wii ;)
    And the iPad is more powerful than the iPhone, but maybe is still not powerful enough for the awesomeness of Sam & Max :D

Well, SM3 is far more graphically taxing than ToMI. And the iPad resolution is much, much higher than the Wii, which is higher than the iPhone. This sort of thing is easily overlooked by gaming blogs, who have no investigative or computer science knowledge.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Got a chance to play through the beginning of the episode on a retail iPad today at the office. It's fun!

ipadsmall.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Got a chance to play through the beginning of the episode on a retail iPad today at the office. It's fun!

You stood in line for hours to get this, didn't you.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't think there's any chance of it happening, but it would be nice if whoever buys the game for the iPad aren't able to post anything on the forums the next couple of weeks. I don't trust iPad users not to spoil anything for the extreme majority of the forum users in the meantime.

Congrats Telltale. It's a pretty sweet deal for you. Like everyone else, I'm more than a bit jealous though, but it's not like I'd ever consider buying an iPad anyway.
    edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    You stood in line for hours to get this, didn't you.

Joel got it. He walked right into the store, bought it, and brought it in.
    edited April 2010
    Joel got it. He walked right into the store, bought it, and brought it in.

Ah, good. It's not a good day to be standing around outside for long, anyway.
  • edited April 2010
    would this game work on a iPhone/PodTouch if TTG tried to go that way?
    because if it would, TTG totally should. but have it released when the other versions of course.
  • edited April 2010

ipadsmall.jpg

That picture remarkably makes a great desktop background.

Also, eh, that newspaper from the game actually exists?
  • edited April 2010

ipadsmall.jpg

Aww that looks so good! :(
  • edited April 2010

ipadsmall.jpg

Bad Jake, tidy your desk, or no more TF2 for you. Aside: the magic mouse really looks like a glasses case there.
    edited April 2010
    That picture remarkably makes a great desktop background.

Also, eh, that newspaper from the game actually exists?

Remove the "small" from the filename to get a higher res one, if you really want a wallpaper :)
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks!
  • edited April 2010
    Oooh, oooh! I want that Maths Kickers box in the corner!
  • edited April 2010

ipadsmall.jpg

Gotta say looks really nice! :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.