Your thoughts on surprise(!) Sam & Max Penal Zone iPad announcement?

Comments

• nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a wait. The game's done, they're just holding back so they get a few Ipad sales.

Nay, sir, there ye be mistaken. I refer ye to yon Jake's post:
    PC version is being finished up as you read this, to go into final test and send off to reviewers. It's on the same schedule it's always been in.

The iPad schedule was moved up as we were given the opportunity to be a launch title- iPad, PS3, PC and Mac versions of the games operate quite differently than one another, they are unique snowflakes and we need to give them the gentle care they require.
  • edited April 2010
    Radogol wrote: »
    Having said that, I'm surprised none of the RAGE is directed at the fact that this version of the game seems to be the only one with point & "click" interface :)

Actually I think the control method will be based around the click and drag though in this case touch and drag would be more appropriate.
  • edited April 2010
    But the most negative thing I can think of that this does to us is a possible mass EVAC of the forums for the following 12 days.

The most negative thing I can think of, now that I've seen it happen, is all the people complaining, which I find annoying (and to be honest, pretty unexpected).
    It's just not the same when I'm not the one doing it.
  • edited April 2010
    First reaction: wat

Past that, acceptence. Then a paranoia of stumbling upon spoilers before the 15th. After that ... honestly, I just found it intriguing. Still do. Other than being worried about spoilers, the feeling is a nice kind of stunned. Telltale's finally going to be on a mobile platform. And have an episode available to purchase for a highly-anticipated device on/before its launch date! How neat is that?

Oh. And if anyone would like to repeat those statements about Apple product users being "hipsters" and/or "yuppies" to my face, this Apple product user will happily laugh in his/her face while spraying copious amounts of Cheetos-laced spittle.

... Actually, forget the spittle part. That's just disgusting. Even I'm not that unhip. Yuck.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually I think the control method will be based around the click and drag though in this case touch and drag would be more appropriate.

There's a screenshot in which touchable hotspots are shown. No exits are visible, so perhaps it will be like ToMI.
  • edited April 2010
    I was excited for the new season. I was actually going on the site so I could pre-order it.
    I've bought every single one of Telltale's games. I've bought their books, too. I've been an incredibly loyal customer, even though their game specials never applied to me, since I already had their episodes.

Remember, it wasn't that long ago that you were only on the PC.

Now... I'm not so sure.

There are lots of other games out there, especially now that I've discovered Steam, and companies besides Nintendo and Telltale.

And now that Telltale is blatantly pandering to a sub-rate "gaming" platform basically owned by the rich and senseless, I'm insulted.

Telltale, you couldn't have released the game to your best customers early? Really?

Anyway, I don't think I'll pre-order it now, seeing as I wouldn't have to if I had enough money to buy the "revolutionary" "Moses" "tablet".

Great job, Telltale. By letting some corporation have its way with you, (wonder how many sales you'll get on the iPad?) you've alienated your main customer base.

This SUCKS.

P.S. Enjoy your negative $34.95, jerks.
  • edited April 2010
    I think everyone needs to stop what they are doing, browse the how to draw a boob thread, look at all the lovely, and be happy, then come right back......

now that you are back

I dream of an internet where we are not separated by apples, windows and penguins and an internet where we can come together in a united happy community of gamers, game makers and boob drawers... Except Nikasaur because she caused Yare to stray.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    The most negative thing I can think of, now that I've seen it happen, is all the people complaining, which I find annoying (and to be honest, pretty unexpected).

It's equal parts alarming and amusing.
  • edited April 2010
    Oh. And if anyone would like to repeat those statements about Apple product users being "hipsters" and/or "yuppies" to my face, this Apple product user will happily laugh in his/her face while spraying copious amounts of Cheetos-laced spittle.

You know it's true though. There's a load of clued in people who appreciate Apple products for reasons other than having them as a status symbol though

Just check out this gent here

tumblr_kwsrbqJGMJ1qzprhbo1_500.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    I think everyone needs to stop what they are doing browse the how to draw a boob thread look at all the lovely and be happy then come right back......

now that you are back

I dream of an internet where we are not separated by apples, windows and penguins and and internet where we can come together in a united happy community of gamers, game makers and boob drawers... Except Nikasaur because she caused Yare to stray.

Hear hear!

@Chords - How is two weeks "alienating" your main customers? If the delay was by a couple of months, then sure that would be a bit irritating, but look at the people who had to wait to play TOMI on Wii while PC users got it early. We're they "alienated"? Were they "cheated" out of a game. The only way you're cheated out of this game is if you throw it away over petty bitterness. You're only cheating yourselves.
  • edited April 2010
    (I actually posted this in another thread but it's more appropriate here.)

Personally, I applaud Telltale for taking a chance on putting their latest product on a brand new piece of hardware, and a popular one at that. There's no sense in company not growing, not attempting to do things they've not done before. If you don't expand in a environment as competitive as the games industry, you die. Telltale isn't a big company (though they are bigger than they were 5 years ago) and so can't normally be at the forefront of a new piece of technology and so when they were offered (I'm guessing here with 'offered' - for all I know they were the ones who suggested the idea to Apple but anyway) the chance to have their latest game be involved right at the launch of the latest product from one of the biggest tech companies in the world, how could they refuse, even if it meant giving it to them earlier than their main customer base.

I like the path Telltale have taken in the last couple of years, expanding their platform base from just Windows PC to all current generation consoles and Macs. Now the iPad marks their first foray into what is really an unknown market especially regarding games. Of course they have to be careful when expanding to not forget where they came from but I see little to make me think that will happen, certainly not in the near future. I want them to be able to reach as many gamers as possible, how could anyone want to deny them that.
  • edited April 2010
    And now that Telltale is blatantly pandering to a sub-rate "gaming" platform basically owned by the rich and senseless, I'm insulted.

... Now, you see, these kinds of grand, sweeping statements about a platform that, statistically speaking, almost no one has even used themselves? Doesn't help matters. At all. Not even a little.

That "rich and senselees" comment diserves a much, much different response altogether, but I'm not going to dignify it with that.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah I'm pretty sure there wasn't even a single swastika in the press release.... I will have to look again I guess because I do not think I have the same information as some of you claiming that Telltale is in league with the devil.
  • edited April 2010
    Eh, the only reason I was pissed off earlier was because I red "Sam & Max Out Now" on Mobile Internet, but didn't read the article, so in my head all day whilst working I just kept thinking about how awesome it's going to be to play some Sam & Max later on.

And then of course I get home to find the early release was just for the iPad! :p
  • edited April 2010
    If they're really rich and senseless, maybe you can get them to buy you an iPad, too?
    This way you'll get to play the game tomorrow.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, thinking about it, I'm emotionally damaged! I want a written letter from Yare and Jake saying they're sorry for causing me this distress, I like, had Sam & Max on my mind all day! So I want a letter in the post! ;):D
  • edited April 2010
    I know for sure I'm not bothering to pre-order with Telltale again. The only reason I preorder is to get the game early, I like getting up early and playing it the second it's out.

Then suddenly, out of the blue, a bunch of strangers will get to play it first. And not even a few days, but a complete 2 weeks. It completely defeats the purpose, and it is betraying and alienating the fans who paid for an "early copy".

I just thought Telltale was above this, that's all.
  • edited April 2010
    all the April Fools day shenanigans and now all this blowing up... has provided me with a ton of entertainment... Thanks guys and gals.
  • edited April 2010
    Okay seriously who cares, somehting gets something early does it it really matter? Are any of you not getting it on the 15th?

Think about this raging over people who get a game early on another system is retarded, and by retarded I mean it's stupid, you just make yourselves sound more like Jackass's when people over-react to things like this. So what? All I'm saying is that over reacting doesn't solve anything and it makes you look like a jackass for doing it.

I've said my voice of reason, and I'm done.
  • edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    Just check out this gent here

tumblr_kwsrbqJGMJ1qzprhbo1_500.jpg

Lincoln got KIRF'd! D8
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure there wasn't even a single swastika in the press release.... I will have to look again I guess because I do not think I have the same information as some of you claiming that Telltale is in league with the devil.

Actually, I was told Telltale's currently storing Hitler's cryogenically-preseved head in the janitor's closet. And that whatever babies they don't eat are used as an energy source to maintain the capsule the head is sealed in.

But now the Easter-themed Max in the new banner has reminded me about carrots, which I love. We have lots of carrots at home right now.

*munches*

Ah. I feel better already.
  • edited April 2010
    Blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This boss in Persona is annoying. It's on it's last form, and now it takes barely any damage...
  • edited April 2010
    Just because the game came out early doesn't mean a million people will be playing it before April 15th either.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah. I seriously think the Ipad will be a HUGE flop. It's mainly why TTG's decision surprises me.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, I was told Telltale's currently storing Hitler's cryogenically-preseved head in the janitor's closet. And that whatever babies they don't eat are used as an energy source to maintain the capsule the head is sealed in.

Coincidentally that actually would make a good Sam & Max story....... definitely a good Hell Boy story...... OooooooH TTG should do a Hell Boy adventure game... I do not want to hear how it wouldn't translate well into an adventure game because its action orientated.... think the Indiana Jones adventure games by lucasarts.
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Coincidentally that actually would make a good Sam & Max story....... definitely a good Hell Boy story...... OooooooH TTG should do a Hell Boy adventure game... I do not want to hear how it wouldn't translate well into an adventure game because its action orientated.... think the Indiana Jones adventure games by lucasarts.

Now you are just being stupid.

Oh, forgot the obligatory rage comment.

IPAD SUCKS! TELLTALE IS STOOPID!
  • edited April 2010
    So some people will get to play the game early. I don't mind. The PC release date hasn't changed.

I don't think the forum will be flooded by spoilers over the next two weeks, but I'm a little concerned about that anyway.
  • edited April 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    So some people will get to play the game early. I don't mind. The PC release date hasn't changed.

I don't think the forum will be flooded by spoilers over the next two weeks, but I'm a little concerned about that anyway.

Don't worry about spoilers. It won't be a problem. Ipad users won't come here, and the few people here that will buy one aren't idiots, they won't spoil it.
  • edited April 2010
    spoilers is the only legit complaint I have seen so far.... but I think we will be ok.... I am guessing people that will be using the iPad for games will be mostly casual gamers and not big fans... casual gamers do not really go into forums to talk about this stuff so I think we will be good.... that probably came off a little like I am rambling... its because my wife just said dinner is ready.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Actually, I was told Telltale's currently storing Hitler's cryogenically-preseved head in the janitor's closet.

In your FACE! We don't even HAVE a janitor's closet.

Wait, oh god, we do. I always forget about it because it's inside the mens room stall that is awkwardly positioned so that the crack in the door lines up perfectly with the toilet and is always in line of sight when you turn around to use the sink, so it's not used that often.

Maybe there's something to your story.
  • edited April 2010
    I think that 99% of the people who are offended are just annoyed about the whole pre-order thing.

With TOMI, there were reviewers and reviewers friends who had played the game before everyone, and there were no spoilers, unless you went looking for them. It'll be the same with this.
  • edited April 2010
    I think it was a mistake in doing this, although please note that I have no problem with iPad I really don't mind TDPH on it; but MY problem is that it's being released like 10 days before the official release date.
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    this must be the week for game companies to anger their community members...

HUGS to EVERYONE! Your anger is disturbing the puppy.

yoshiPuppy.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    The puppy has made me calm.
  • edited April 2010
    bubbledncr wrote: »

yoshiPuppy.jpg

aboutimg.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    HUGS to EVERYONE! Your anger is disturbing the puppy.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1303&stc=1&d=1270253666
  • edited April 2010
    this must be the week for game companies to anger their community members...

Well there's you guys, Bungie (some unanswered questions about Halo Reach on the forums I hear are getting out of hand) and Infinity Ward (every day of every week)
  • edited April 2010
    Im still getting what I paid for... and what I was promised.
  • edited April 2010
    Then suddenly, out of the blue, a bunch of strangers will get to play it first.
    Strangers get to play a game before you all the time. Reviewers and testers. You were willing to pay $35 to play the game on April 15th. That arrangement has not changed. If you had not come to this site or heard of the iPad launch, you would have not been affected at all. There is no change in your product.
    And not even a few days, but a complete 2 weeks. It completely defeats the purpose, and it is betraying and alienating the fans who paid for an "early copy".
    Wait, since when does 12 equal 14? Maybe you have a different definition of "week" than the Gregorian Calendar?
    I just thought Telltale was above this, that's all.
    Above taking easy money? I don't think anyone is above the idea of getting more money for their work.

I really think this whole thing is ridiculous. I of all people am generally the very first to say that a variety of opinions and community criticism are necessary and should be protected.

But this is stupid.

Hell, I feel great. I'm still getting the best deal. I get the most benefits, as a direct Telltale customer. The iPad users have to first spend half a grand on a device, and then they get to spend $15 more for the game if they want the whole thing. They don't get a DVD, they don't get a free episode. They get the worst deal. A 12 day earlier launch of episode 1 is probably the closest thing to a platform-exclusive bonus that they are going to get. Good for them.
    Jake wrote: »
    Maybe there's something to your story.
    Specifically, the parts where there is a janitor's closet, and stuff(possibly even stuff in jars) is stored in said closet.
  • edited April 2010
    The only thing I don't get is the "I preordered to have the game early". You don't get the game earlier when you preorder. It comes up on the 15th. Someone buying it the day it comes up isn't pre-ordering anymore and gets it at the same time you do.

Or did you want to be the very first person to play it or something? You'll still be along the first ones to play it on a computer, you know. The iPad version has to be different.

I really didn't think that would cause such a stirrup. I'm surprised. The way I see it, it doesn't take anything away from me.

Then again, I guess I don't really care about being the first one to play it or playing it on the very day it comes out or anything. So maybe I just don't get it.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    The only thing I don't get is the "I preordered to have the game early". You don't get the game earlier when you preorder. It comes up on the 15th. Someone buying it the day it comes up isn't pre-ordering anymore and gets it at the same time you do.

You're right that the "me first, me first" argument most people are using isn't really a valid one.

However, anyone who preordered on PSN or Steam, but would prefer to play the game on iPad (in spite of it being the worst deal), would probably have a valid concern (unless they could get a refund for the preorder). That's the only scenario I can think of where there is some kind of material impact, and I haven't seen anyone raise it.

I think TTG will be pretty surprised at the level and intensity of community backlash on this, even though it's most likely coming from a very vocal minority. I'm certainly surprised. :/
Sign in to comment in this discussion.