Your thoughts on surprise(!) Sam & Max Penal Zone iPad announcement?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    The bottom line is this:

Telltale is awesome.
    Telltale makes awesome games.
    Awesome games cost money.
    Selling Telltale games on many different systems provides lots of ways to make money.
    Telltale will take the piles of money they make and make more awesome games.
    This makes Telltale even more awesome.

The End.
  • edited April 2010
    my thoughts: Putting it out now = bad idea for those who wont have an iPad as so many people will end up posting spoilers here in a noobish fashion before the 15th

Putting it out on iPad along with the other things on 15th = good idea for we all will get a chance then

and last

Putting it out now on all platforms = better idea because, face it, we want to play it now
  • edited April 2010
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I like how everyone's pissed off at something that only lasts 13 days but are willing to accept a lifetime change, like "direct" control. :p

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    I don't think there will be a mass influx of new posters (though I could be way off the mark). Even if there is I feel that there is a good mod presence here that will help 'control' any possible threads of spoilers. Besides, I would consider the average buyer of new technology like the iPad to be decently tech savvy and with less 'noobish' tendencies.
  • edited April 2010
    This is fucking retarted. Ipad is the dumbest computer thing I've ever heard of, and Telltale, my (previously) favourite game company, release it two weeks early on the god damned thing!

FUCK!

Clearly the PC version is done! So you're just screwing us all over (because everyone here got it for PS3 or PC) so a bunch of Imac users (who are normally all rich tossers) can get their filthy rich hands on it two weeks early! Release the god damned PC version first guys!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Clearly the PC version is done! So you're just screwing us all over (because everyone here got it for PS3 or PC) so a bunch of Imac users (who are normally all rich tossers) can get their filthy rich hands on it two weeks early! Release the god damned PC version first guys!

Living up to your username! Blarrrr! PC version is being finished up as you read this, to go into final test and send off to reviewers. It's on the same schedule it's always been in. Sorry that this release doesn't impact your life, but you are still mad about it. :(
  • edited April 2010
    Damn, the internet shows some nasty sides of people...
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Living up to your username! Blarrrr! PC version is being finished up as you read this, to go into final test and send off to reviewers. It's on the same schedule it's always been in. Sorry that this release doesn't impact your life, but you are still mad about it. :(

I do have a reputation of flaming to uphold.

It just feels a bit irritating, that's all. One of the reasons I like Telltale is all it's community involvement, the forums are fantastic and the staff are great. And then it suddenly gets decided that it's going to be released on a silly platform 2 weeks before all the loyal forum members get to play it. I'd be surprised if more than 20 people here are getting an Ipad.

It just feels like being betrayed, that's all.
  • edited April 2010
    There does seem to be a lot of possessiveness about this. I'm getting a strong Sméagol/Gollum vibe off of some posters.

Why can't we all just get along?
  • edited April 2010
    Here is an idea ask for a refund and pay extra to have it on iPad... or act like an adult and get over it... and enjoy the game when it comes out on the date we all accepted when we preordered.
  • edited April 2010
    okay, im gonna cit in here for a sec.
    STOP THE RAEG

you can continue.
  • edited April 2010
    If they could release the game on the 2nd of April of Ipad, they could have done the same thing with PC. But they didn't.

Gah. All this raging is boring now. I've only just woken up and I feel a bit sick. I ate too many easter eggs yesterday. I might to play Persona 3. I've finally got up to the end boss. It killed me because it has 14 forms (the bastard!) and you can't heal inbetween. Gonna go try it again.
  • edited April 2010
    If they could release the game on the 2nd of April of Ipad, they could have done the same thing with PC. But they didn't.

Actually I think that is erroneous. Specifically regarding control methods. The iPad only has one control method, whatever it is, whereas the PC version has at least 3 (mouse only, keyboard & mouse & controller). All of which have to work at the same time meaning you could change the way you control the game on the fly (well at least between the mouse only & keyboard/mouse combinations - not sure about the controllers).
  • edited April 2010

Gah. All this raging is boring now. I've only just woken up and I feel a bit sick. I ate too many easter eggs yesterday. I might to play Persona 3. I've finally got up to the end boss. It killed me because it has 14 forms (the bastard!) and you can't heal inbetween. Gonna go try it again.

oh weird I had a fortune cookie at lunch that said

Never eat too many easter eggs you never know when news that angers and confuses you will drop in your lap.
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    To be fair, the opportunity didn't present itself until after we had already started pre-orders, and we couldn't just come out and tell everyone about it because we were contractually obliged not to.

In fact, 90% of the studio didn't even know about it until yesterday. It's been kept under extreme lock and key at Apple's bequest. I still haven't even seen the sucker, and I've got my hands in a bit of everything around here.

I think it's pretty damn cool but I'm uber-jealous of the people who can afford an iPad - and get one even, as the UK release date is still unknown I think.

Let's imagine a different scenario shall we? Let's say they announced all formats at the same time including iPad and today decided to release the PC version earlier. A lot of the people here would be whooping with excitement now wouldn't they? It's in their best interests to do this, everyone who pre-ordered is still getting the game on the date they thought they were getting it. What's the problem?
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah life goes on, pizza hut still delivers, and my wife still thinks I'm the bees knees... heck I even found a reason to work in "bees knees" into a conversation.. even if it was with strange people who may or may not live in my computer...
  • edited April 2010
    14d3tr8.jpg

Dankish comic on how I saw t3h rage.
  • edited April 2010
    seriously, I just think it's not fair
  • edited April 2010
    Eh. I don't care either way considering I pre-ordered it just yesterday. *shrugs*
  • edited April 2010
    my reaction to the RAEG:
    unimpressed.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    I understand why they're doing it. It is, of course, unfair as hell. And sad for the real fans who pre-ordered it on day one out of love for the series, only to see a bunch of people who just buy it on a new-hardware-whim get it weeks early.

But life moves on and the game will still be awesome when it comes.
  • edited April 2010
    You know what'd happen if Telltale said 'alright, we'll release it on all the other formats tomorrow then'

"The sound is sooo compressed"
    "I picked up the piece of cheese and used it and then I managed to pick it up again"
    "Maaan this game is so buggy, did anyone else see Jimmy half in the wall?"
    "I wish Telltale had spent more time testing instead of rushing it out"
  • edited April 2010
    14d3tr8.jpg

Dankish comic on how I saw t3h rage.

That comic is wrong! There was more swearing, and I broke the television, not the computer!

Not my fault I was angry. I got up to the end boss in Persona 3, and I got it down to 5hp, I had full health, and then it cast death, which instant killed me. Even though it has a 10% chance of working. And even though the end boss has 14 forms, AND TAKES 3 HOURS TO KILL! THREE HOURS I HAVE TO REDO!

• edited April 2010
    no trailer for the ipad version ? or screenshots or anything ? that's totally weird
  • edited April 2010
    hanged_man wrote: »
    no trailer for the ipad version ? or screenshots or anything ? that's totally weird

I'm pretty sure I've seen screenshots.
  • edited April 2010
    I am just going to repeat what I said before:

Great for TTG, a little annoying for us, true.
    But the most negative thing I can think of that this does to us is a possible mass EVAC of the forums for the following 12 days.
  • edited April 2010
    I just think that as a person who has bought every single episodic series Telltale has made, which I am sure there are many of here on these boards, it is a little crappy to then turn around and give the first episode early on another platform that hadn't been announced on pre-order after most of us have pre ordered for one of the other platforms that had been announced.
    It's a little maddening TBH that even though it's an awaited series and given that Telltales success is in no small part due quite a bit to their paying customers actually buying their amazing games and supporting the company, they then turn around and bite them on the arse.
    True, it won't change my life, just makes me wonder why another platform which is just launching gets the game 2 weeks earlier than the companys dedicated customers.

Whatever, estimations gone down a little is all I'm saying.
  • edited April 2010
    That comic is wrong! There was more swearing, and I broke the television, not the computer!

Not my fault I was angry. I got up to the end boss in Persona 3, and I got it down to 5hp, I had full health, and then it cast death, which instant killed me. Even though it has a 10% chance of working. And even though the end boss has 14 forms, AND TAKES 3 HOURS TO KILL! THREE HOURS I HAVE TO REDO!

Ha ha ha! The psycho music did start playing in the air though right?
  • edited April 2010

I thought it was supposed to be Jaws, Pyscho's more "EEE EEE EEE EEE dun dunnnn dun dunnn" in my head. These are truly important matters
  • edited April 2010
    stemot wrote: »
    True, it won't change my life, just makes me wonder why another platform which is just launching gets the game 2 weeks earlier than the companys dedicated customers.

Because it's a great opportunity for them to add more people to their loyal fanbase and the more people they've got buying the games, the bigger and better games they can make. As I already said, being available on launch day is much more beneficial to them than releasing it in two weeks.
  • edited April 2010

Yeah, it was kinda weird actually. Channel V (music channel over here) just started a countdown of "Best Horror Music of All Time", but the Jaws theme was playing when I first read the post. Psycho started soon after though, around about the time of the 3rd post.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, judging from the screenshots of the Ipad version in the blog, it looks like the PC/PS3 version will be better anyway. I mean just look at the jagged edges everywhere, and it also looks like the quality setting is set right down. It will be worth the wait for the PC/PS3 version, because this one just looks like it has been scaled down. It doesn't matter to me that its out early, I prefer quality. I just hope that the people who get this version aren't going to have the same problems as the Wii version of TMI.
  • edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    I thought it was supposed to be Jaws, Pyscho's more "EEE EEE EEE EEE dun dunnnn dun dunnn" in my head. These are truly important matters

Gah! Yes I always get them mixed up. I did mean Jaws.

That's the second greatest coincidence I've ever heard of.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, judging from the screenshots of the Ipad version in the blog, it looks like the PC/PS3 version will be better anyway. I mean just look at the jagged edges everywhere, and it also looks like the quality setting is set right down. It will be worth the wait for the PC/PS3 version, because this one just looks like it has been scaled down.

There shouldn't be a wait. The game's done, they're just holding back so they get a few Ipad sales.

It's like Bilzzard. There reaches a point that no-matter how much money they're making, the games will still be the same. This whole thing is selling out, and it always stinks when Indie companies do that.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    There is one group who are potentially materially affected - you might have preordered S&M3 on another platform, but now want to play it on the iPad instead. I haven't seen anyone complaining about that though.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder if anyone who has a problem with this would have made the decision differently than Telltale did.

Let's say you're Dan Connors. Your company has a new game coming out mid-April. You want to get your games on as many platforms as possible.

Suddenly, an opportunity arises to be part of the big launch of a new software platform from a well-respected vendor -- a vendor that you've admired for a long time. There are only three downsides:

1) The new game will be released 12 days earlier on the new platform than everywhere else, because the launch date has already been scheduled for both the platform and your new game. Neither can be changed.
    2) The vendor demands that you keep quiet about it until right before launch... and even most of your own company does not know what's going on.
    3) When the rabbit is pulled out of the hat, some of your current customers with entitlement issues and conspiratorial mindsets will bitch and moan like the world is coming to an end.

Gee, what a tough decision to make.

This is an absolute no-brainer for Telltale. Kudos for pulling it off.
  • edited April 2010
    I think I know what everyone in this thread needs.

A kitten pile!

r2w9om.jpg

There, don't you all feel better now?
  • edited April 2010
    There shouldn't be a wait. The game's done, they're just holding back so they get a few Ipad sales.

It's like Bilzzard. There reaches a point that no-matter how much money they're making, the games will still be the same. This whole thing is selling out, and it always stinks when Indie companies do that.

Actually, Jake has already said that they are still working on the PC version.
  • edited April 2010
    Personally, I'm excited that TellTale got a launch title on a high-profile platform.

Having said that, I'm surprised none of the RAGE is directed at the fact that this version of the game seems to be the only one with point & "click" interface :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.