Your thoughts on surprise(!) Sam & Max Penal Zone iPad announcement?

12346»

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Got a chance to play through the beginning of the episode on a retail iPad today at the office. It's fun!

Screw the iPad (which isn't out in Aus until around the S&M PC release date, I believe)... I want that awesome CSS mug! (bug-mug?)
  • edited April 2010
    Also, eh, that newspaper from the game actually exists?

My thoughts exactly.
  • edited April 2010
    I would REALLY love copies of those Videlectrix boxes, and the...apparently New York Interloper.
  • edited April 2010
    Telltale's point-and-click games seem like the perfect fit for this kind of technology so I saw power to 'em.
    I wonder how likely it actually will be for someone who isn't already a Sam and Max fan to buy the game for their ipad or bother posting spoilers, especially before the PC/Mac release.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    I would REALLY love copies of those Videlectrix boxes, and the...apparently New York Interloper.

Haha. There are four or five in-universe tabloids in the opening credits of Devils Playhouse. One of them is the Interloper.
  • edited April 2010
    Got a chance to play through the beginning of the episode on a retail iPad today at the office. It's fun!

ipadsmall.jpg

Wow you have a lot of cool stuff! Can I have that newspaper?
  • edited April 2010

Did you pose everything on your desk just for that shot? Those m&ms look a mite suspicious.
  • edited April 2010
    I wish to purchase those items I saw there. Minus the iPad, cause every one knows you wanna wait until the 3G model comes out.

However, I want a copy of the New York Interloper. Or I wish to purchase the rights to it and start said paper in New York. We'd be a political/gossip/tech paper. Maybe have some artsy comics and a section where readers write in about weird/interesting things they saw.

I'd call that section "Interlopin'".

... I gotta go call a Intellectual Property Lawyer, have him start drawing up the contracts.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    Did you pose everything on your desk just for that shot? Those m&ms look a mite suspicious.

Aye, It was deliberate. The M&Ms (and that style of arrangement of weird Sam & Max junk) are a reference to, I think, the back cover of the On The Road comic. You can see the painting towards the back of Surfin the Highway.
  • edited April 2010
    Aye, It was deliberate. The M&Ms (and that style of arrangement of weird Sam & Max junk) are a reference to, I think, the back cover of the On The Road comic. You can see the painting towards the back of Surfin the Highway.

Oh, I was thinking you weren't eating very healthy with all the junk food on your desk lol. I guess if it was deliberate it's different (although then again, maybe not).
  • edited April 2010
    Hey, now that I've heard about the alleged lagginess and seen the lower quality graphics, I'm totally cool with all this iPad business. Cause... they're paying more for less. So I declare myself the winner!

Also, "Cry me to the moon" is my new favorite tag.
  • edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Ah, good. It's not a good day to be standing around outside for long, anyway.
    For fear of being stomped to death by stampeding early adopters furiously trying to adopt an iPad?
  • edited April 2010
    Y'know what's the best part of "iPad Gate?"

The multitudes and latitudes of inane forum/blog chatter it has thusly spawned.
  • edited April 2010
    What I do take a small exception with, are some of the Mods on this site, not taking some of these legitimate gripes seriously (Not you Jake) and offering weak excuses or insults to posters who are rightly upset.

But see, being rightly or not rightly upset is highly subjective. I've preordered the PC version, and I don't feel like I should be upset just because someone with a new gizmo gets the game 2 weeks earlier. I do understand that some people take minor offence at this, but if you read back, some posters went seriously overboard to express their discontent. I think making fun of some is definitely a better move than eg. censoring their post would have been.
    Well, SM3 is far more graphically taxing than ToMI.

Ummmm. The first statement about the relation of ToMI and SM3 was that they need roughly the same VGA power. Then, SM3 needed slightly stronger HW. Now it's far more taxing. Can you please clarify that?
  • edited April 2010
    I think he means "we made sure Avistew can't play it because she stalked me and worse, she said she didn't like TF2".
  • edited April 2010
    Man, I would love to see a video of someone playing Sam & Max on the iPad. I don't want any spoilers or anything like that, I would just like to know how it looks and plays on that thing.
  • edited April 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Man, I would love to see a video of someone playing Sam & Max on the iPad. I don't want any spoilers or anything like that, I would just like to know how it looks and plays on that thing.

Agreed :)
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    For fear of being stomped to death by stampeding early adopters furiously trying to adopt an iPad?

Not sure what it was like in the bay, but in Sacramento there was a nasty storm for most of the weekend.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Ummmm. The first statement about the relation of ToMI and SM3 was that they need roughly the same VGA power. Then, SM3 needed slightly stronger HW. Now it's far more taxing. Can you please clarify that?

ToMI has lower-poly models; fewer and lower-res texture passes; and no shadows.
  • edited April 2010

Sounds good - and sounds obviously more demanding. Do you have a recommended VGA (nVidia / ATI) specified for the highest quality setting? :)
  • edited April 2010
    Sounds good - and sounds obviously more demanding. Do you have a recommended VGA (nVidia / ATI) specified for the highest quality setting? :)

I would be more interested for the minimum GPU to run it on the lowest quality without stuttering.
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010

So that means ToMI's graphics were really constrained so a WiiWare version (with its own even more strict constraints) could be made out of it. A shame the PC version had to suffer because of that.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    not true at all! Those features weren't ready while we were making Monkey. Wii had nothing to do with it!
  • edited April 2010
    Kevin wrote: »
    not true at all! Those features weren't ready while we were making Monkey. Wii had nothing to do with it!

That still won't stop people blaming the Wii for every problem in Tales. Sad fact of life.
  • edited April 2010
    Heh. I love the fact that shadows were [url=http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2837&postcount=4[/url]on the to-do list for Bone[/url], but we're only seeing them now, almost 5 years later. :)
  • edited April 2010

Every time someone say "Wii", I read "Will" for some reason. But I usually realise it right away.
    This time, it took me several reads before I understood you weren't defending Will out of the blue.
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010

Thanks for clearing that up, Kevin!
  • edited April 2010

I guess that doesn't apply to the lower polygon count, though.
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe I missed this, so sorry if it was asked already, but what exactly needs to be done to the iPad version of the game to make it ready for a PC release? If the game's released already, the story and all the puzzles are evidently finished.
    I want to stress that I'm not at all angry that the iPad people got the game earlier than us, or that there's two weeks between the iPad and PC release. I'm just curious :)
  • edited April 2010
    It probably has something to do with needing to test on a far wider variety of hardware and software conditions. An iPad doesn't really have that many configurations. A PC's options, while not infinite, are extremely high.

Oh, or they don't love us.
  • edited April 2010
    Although it has been released on iPad, I would not say it is exceptionally playable yet. The game stutters so much in dialog I've given up until there is an update.

I expect that right now, telltale is working on QA and performance testing across the different configurations for a regular release.
  • edited April 2010
    Just because the iPad version is done doesn't mean the PC version is done at all. They're completely different pieces of software for totally different hardware. Notice how when Telltale announced their games were being ported to Mac, they didn't release them all instantaneously? Making different ports of a game takes measurable time and effort.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.