The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited June 2010
    You said it yourself. Fanboyism. Overconfidence in Armato's voice acting range. I can't think of another reason why "I" would want to see it. I like Armato. I like his voice. I'm overconfident in his vocal range. Therefore it's not hard for me to believe that he could play Marty McFly. That and the fact that I see a lot in common between Marty and Guybrush...and Phillip J. Fry. Which is why I could also see Billy West playing Marty.
  • edited June 2010
    How strange. I don't consider Marty and Guybrush alike in the least.
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    You must not have liked Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, or Monkey Island then, since they replaced actors in each of those games.

The difference is here we associate these characters with their actors. For example if they make a indy game and ford isn't doing the voice then it's not indy because we know him as indy. It's more than just voice work, we have actually seen these people for years.
  • edited June 2010
    The difference is here we associate these characters with their actors. For example if they make a indy game and ford isn't doing the voice then it's not indy because we know him as indy. It's more than just voice work, we have actually seen these people for years.

Harrison has never done the voice of Indy in a game.
  • edited June 2010
    I can imagine Jared being mind blown thinking about:"My god! I'm gonna meet Chris lloyd!"
  • edited June 2010
    In fact, there were two separate people who both excellently did the voice of Indy in different games.
  • edited June 2010
    I can imagine the original actors coming back, but I hope that they can pull this off.
  • edited June 2010
    That doesn't mean it would be suited for Marty McFly. I'm sorry, I don't want Armato anywhere near Marty.

The idea behind that (not absolutely serious) idea is that soundalikes always suck. So if they wanted to use the character and couldn't get Fox (which they probably will), then they shouldn't try too hard to perfectly replicate Fox's performance but rather keep a certain character about the character, without having to have the accent down to the syllable.

P.S. It may be because i'm not American, but Dom and Fox both seem to give the same youthful energy in their voices.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, I know. And I'm saying I don't think Armato would be a good choice for that.
  • edited June 2010
    You know who would really do a great job voice acting for Marty?

Eric Stoltz

lolface.png
  • edited June 2010
    Oooooo. Edgy!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    You are eeeeeeevil... :D
  • edited June 2010
    Hopefully Michael J. Fox to voice Marty but if unable, at least David Kaufman who voiced him in the cartoons.

and hopefully Christopher Lloyd as the Doc but if unable then at least Dan Castellaneta who voiced him

and supposably the stories are original and take place after Part III and the cartoon series, if Clara is in there, try to get in Mary Steenburgen.

and of course we can't forget the different incarnations of Biff, we'd need Thomas F. Wilson to voice them all lol :D
  • edited June 2010
    vitas wrote: »
    and hopefully Christopher Lloyd as the Doc but if unable then at least Dan Castellaneta who voiced him

Ahahahahaha! Do you know what that guy makes a year?
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Micheal and Christopher have really unique voices and it would be really hard for anyone else to pull it off convincingly.

I think it is the same as when Lucasarts published Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, when Harrie Ford did not do the voice acting. Thinking, "How is it going to be indy with no Ford?", but they managed to find a pretty good voice double.

I think it is the same with MJ Fox and Christopher, there ought to be a double somewhere. But I think that they will probably be in for it themselves anyway...
  • edited June 2010
    HeyArnold wrote: »
    I think it is the same as when Lucasarts published Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, when Harrie Ford did not do the voice acting. Thinking, "How is it going to be indy with no Ford?", but they managed to find a pretty good voice double.

I think it is the same with MJ Fox and Christopher, there ought to be a double somewhere. But I think that they will probably be in for it themselves anyway...

I know I already said it but David spade is MJ Foxs double, he does a great impression.
  • edited June 2010
    To be fair, the Buffy games had a KILLER S.M.G impersonator. I couldn't hear the differences!
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think Dom Armato would be a good choice. He'd probably remind me too much of Guybrush. I thought the people in the animated series did a good job.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmmm... If they can't get Christopher Lloyd, I do a pretty good impersonation... :o
    Plus I'd love voicing a Telltale game!
    Too bad they don't get their voice actors from the Netherlands... :(
  • edited June 2010
    If ZZ Top doesn't show up... :P
  • edited June 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    They can get all of them. Trust me.

I'm going to go on record and say not Michael J Fox.
  • edited June 2010
    He's done quite a lot of voice work since his condition. Why wouldn't he do this?
  • edited June 2010
    Chris Lloyd also recently did Doc's voice for the Simpsons Ride in their Queue line videos. So it's not like he hasn't done the voice recently.

I also can't imagine it takes that long to do voice over work. If it took more than a week to do a "seasons" worth of VO, I'd be shocked.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, I just watched some recent Fox interviews and his speech is degrading a fair bit....I'd understand if he didn't do it.
  • edited June 2010
    Of course it could always be run through autotune to make it more expressive.

:p
  • edited June 2010
    I want the voice of Michael J. Fox, Thomas F. Wilson and Christopher Lloyd. Not some sound alikes, I want the real voices of the actors here guys. This is Back To The Future. Don't screw this up ok?
  • edited June 2010
    Alucard wrote: »
    I want the voice of Michael J. Fox, Thomas F. Wilson and Christopher Lloyd. Not some sound alikes, I want the real voices of the actors here guys. This is Back To The Future. Don't screw this up ok?

They didn't use the voice of Wallace for Wallace and Gromit, and those games were stellar. Having the original voices is great and all, but by no means necessary.
  • edited June 2010
    Sure Wallace and Gromit are grand but this is Back To The Future. A key part of my childhood. My expectations are very high for this game.
  • edited June 2010
    Michael J Fox may not be able to sound like Marty McFly any longer.
  • edited June 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Michael J Fox may not be able to sound like Marty McFly any longer.

Blasphemy!

libyans-475x301.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Chris Lloyd also recently did Doc's voice for the Simpsons Ride in their Queue line videos. So it's not like he hasn't done the voice recently.

I also can't imagine it takes that long to do voice over work. If it took more than a week to do a "seasons" worth of VO, I'd be shocked.

It would be alot more work for a video game, even more for an adventure game if he is not one of the NPCs.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's a clip of Michael's most recent TV appearance on the Colbert Report:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/308736/may-04-2010/the-word---flight-risk

He seems to be doing a little bit better than was in interviews with him I'd seen from a couple years ago.
  • edited June 2010
    Wow, that is an improvement.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's a clip of Michael's most recent TV appearance on the Colbert Report:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/308736/may-04-2010/the-word---flight-risk

He seems to be doing a little bit better than was in interviews with him I'd seen from a couple years ago.

Win.

That is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.
  • edited June 2010
    Gah, clip not available in my country :(

I think that if Fox is unavailable, Billy West would be a brilliant choice.

This might seem like an odd suggestion, but I also think that Aaron Johnson would do a pretty good McFly. He's the guy who played Kick Ass in Kick Ass. I was watching Kick Ass a while back and I thought "wow, this guy would do a Kick Ass McFly".

Okay, I admittedly only thought that on reflection, but my kick ass Kick Ass joke wouldn't have worked if I'd told it that way >.>

Kick Ass
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    They didn't use the voice of Wallace for Wallace and Gromit, and those games were stellar. Having the original voices is great and all, but by no means necessary.

I gather that the guy who supplied the voice was Aardman's official back-up voice for Wallace. And he sounds a helluva lot more like Peter Sallis than Nick Park does on the "Wererabbit" DVD extras.
  • edited June 2010
    I gather that the guy who supplied the voice was Aardman's official back-up voice for Wallace. And he sounds a helluva lot more like Peter Sallis than Nick Park does on the "Wererabbit" DVD extras.

Official back-up or not, he's not the original, and he does have a slightly different take on the character. They're saying it couldn't work with anyone but the original, I'm saying they're wrong.
  • edited June 2010
    If it counts for anything, I found Wallace's voice in the games jarring enough for me to not want to play them.
  • edited June 2010
    It's not THAT hard to find decent sound a-likes for Fox and Lloyd if they can't do it. As long as they're of the quality of the BttF cartoon, I'll be happy.

Bringing back Thomas Wilson would be awesome though, and he's not that busy that he'd turn it down.
  • edited June 2010
    Micheal J Fox has Parkinson's, remember? He can't do it he's waaay to shaky. (That's what his disease does)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.