The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Micheal J Fox has Parkinson's, remember? He can't do it he's waaay to shaky. (That's what his disease does)

He's apparently not too bad as of late. Also, remember Stuart Little? His Parkinson's was already affecting him by the time he voiced those movies.
  • edited June 2010
    In the animated series only Biff and Clara were voiced by their original actors. Chris Lloyd did the live action shots but someone else did his cartoon voice. The voices are a little off but not bad if the person doesn't want to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XII_5mwUBVA
  • edited June 2010
    Fealiks wrote: »
    He's apparently not too bad as of late. Also, remember Stuart Little? His Parkinson's was already affecting him by the time he voiced those movies.

Stuart Little was quite a while ago and Parkinson's gets worth with age.
  • edited June 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Stuart Little was quite a while ago and Parkinson's gets worth with age.

As I said though, he's apparently been better in more recent TV appearances. Somewhere in this thread somebody posted a link to an interview with him in the Colbert Report. I can't watch it in my country, but I'll take their word for it that he's improved.
  • edited June 2010
    Fealiks wrote: »
    As I said though, he's apparently been better in more recent TV appearances. Somewhere in this thread somebody posted a link to an interview with him in the Colbert Report. I can't watch it in my country, but I'll take their word for it that he's improved.

There's quite a big difference in doing a 5 minute TV spot and having to do a VO for a video game. I'd love to see him do it, but I really don't think he will.
  • edited June 2010
    techie775 wrote: »
    Chris Lloyd did the live action shots but someone else did his cartoon voice. The voices are a little off but not bad if the person doesn't want to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XII_5mwUBVA

There is no way Telltale could afford the person who voiced Doc in the animated series.
  • edited June 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    There is no way Telltale could afford the person who voiced Doc in the animated series.

True Dan Castellena (Homer) voicing fees are probably expensive, but besides the characters who starred in the films that did the cartoon, I could see Marty or Jennifer's cartoon version doing it.
  • edited June 2010
    He's done quite a lot of voice work since his condition. Why wouldn't he do this?

Hhe didn't do the animated show or the ride. Plus, Telltale didn't even get the original Sam & Max voices so, it's very unlikely they will get a big name actor like Michael J Fox.
  • Hhe didn't do the animated show or the ride. Plus, Telltale didn't even get the original Sam & Max voices so, it's very unlikely they will get a big name actor like Michael J Fox.

I think there's no chance of Telltale getting them but... I dunno some... company with a lot of money who has a vested interest in the sales of these games. Can't think who...
  • edited June 2010
    I think the real question on everyone's mind is this: if they do get Michael J. Fox, will he be reprising his role as Marlene McFly? :P

I must have seen the movies a zillion times on VHS when I was a little kid, and I never realized that he played Marty's daughter too until I got the movies on DVD and watched the original trailers. >.<
  • I think the real question on everyone's mind is this: if they do get Michael J. Fox, will he be reprising his role as Marlene McFly? :P

I must have seen the movies a zillion times on VHS when I was a little kid, and I never realized that he played Marty's daughter too until I got the movies on DVD and watched the original trailers. >.<

XD

"It's your kids, Marty! Something has got to be done about your kids, one of them is just you in drag!"
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    We can at least assume that Thomas F. Wilson still knows how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcbQNuQN0A

I really hope he can continuesmall.jpg his work! ;)
  • edited June 2010
    If any of the original actors come back, my money is definitely on Thomas Wilson. He's done tons of VO work over the years and he can still do the voice perfectly.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah Thomas F Wilson is also quite important, the movies just wouldn have been the same without him as BIFF, Hey BUTTHEAD lmao.

Quite funny to think about that the BTTF movies almost got made without all 2 or 3 of them. I know they had another actor for Doc, But they didn like the actor for Marty, so they reshot BTTF 1 again, Fox, and thensomehow the original Doc wasnt avaliable or something then Christoper came. Cant 100% remember if there was another person playing the role of Biff before Thomas.

But lucky for us that those 3 actors was the ones who got the movies roles.

One thing is sure Thomas Wilson seems to be a really cool down to earth kinda guy. Many people let their fame get to them.
  • edited June 2010
    Watch this: I mean, all the way through.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt3YkeYFAMw&feature=related
  • edited June 2010
    I don't understand... How is it possible that Dan Castellaneta is more expensive than Chris Lloyd or Michael J. Fox?
  • edited June 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    I don't understand... How is it possible that Dan Castellaneta is more expensive than Chris Lloyd or Michael J. Fox?

Dan Castellaneta is one of the most famous Voice Actors in Hollywood and is still in high demand / actively working.

Obviously if it weren't for Micheal's health, he'd easily be the most expensive actor to get, but he very likely isn't in the kind of condition to be able to do as much voice work as would be needed for a game like this.

Meanwhile, Christopher Lloyd isn't exactly in high demand right now and at his age, I don't know how actively he's looking for work.
  • edited June 2010
    Did anyone play the LOST game? Locke sounded like a Navajo Chief. I remember Sawyer and Sayid were pretty awful, as well as everyone else. That's how not to do a license if you can't get the original actors. By contrast, I thought Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was superb. I just can't believe my favorite game company is making my favorite type of game about my favorite movie. Hey I'm moving to Cali this Summer, maybe they'll let me play-test it.
  • edited June 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Dan Castellaneta is one of the most famous Voice Actors in Hollywood and is still in high demand / actively working.

Obviously if it weren't for Micheal's health, he'd easily be the most expensive actor to get, but he very likely isn't in the kind of condition to be able to do as much voice work as would be needed for a game like this.

Meanwhile, Christopher Lloyd isn't exactly in high demand right now and at his age, I don't know how actively he's looking for work.

He's still working as an actor. Apparently he's going to be starring in an upcoming production of Death of a Salesman in Vermont this summer. And he's still willing to make appearances to promote the Back to the Future movies; he recently participated in a Q and A at a recent screening of the movies in Texas.
  • edited June 2010
    Did anyone play the LOST game? Locke sounded like a Navajo Chief. I remember Sawyer and Sayid were pretty awful, as well as everyone else. That's how not to do a license if you can't get the original actors. By contrast, I thought Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was superb. I just can't believe my favorite game company is making my favorite type of game about my favorite movie. Hey I'm moving to Cali this Summer, maybe they'll let me play-test it.

The game is called "Via Domus?" Really? Domus in the nominative? There's this little thing called grammar you kind of have to take into consideration when translating something. I'm assuming they wanted to call the game "The Way Home," and not "The Way, the Home." Let's try "Via Domum." There. Isn't that better?

Now write it out a hundred times, and if it isn't done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.
  • edited June 2010
    He's still working as an actor. Apparently he's going to be starring in an upcoming production of Death of a Salesman in Vermont this summer. And he's still willing to make appearances to promote the Back to the Future movies; he recently participated in a Q and A at a recent screening of the movies in Texas.

He's still working, but he's not exactly in high demand. I didn't say he wouldn't do it, just that he'd be cheaper than Dan Castellenta.
  • edited June 2010

Agreed. The voice acting in the LOST game was ridiculously terrible.
  • edited June 2010
    i hope they can get all the actors from back to the future. although i checked up on imdb and christopher lloyd does seem really busy right now. he has 5 movies coming out in 2010 and 1 in 2011. he might not have the time to do the game
  • edited June 2010
    i hope they can get all the actors from back to the future. although i checked up on imdb and christopher lloyd does seem really busy right now. he has 5 movies coming out in 2010 and 1 in 2011. he might not have the time to do the game

Well, movies take like 60 to fifty days to shoot, and they get off time, and for a complete season, I think all the actors record an episode a month before it's due, and then they go back to the movies, it won't be that hard, and universal will be paying the bill I'm sure to get the actors.
  • edited June 2010
    hopefully Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd are on board for this. It wouldn't be Back to the Future without them :)
  • edited June 2010
    http://au.wireless.ign.com/articles/110/1100132p1.html
    There is also a possibility that actors from the franchises will also lend their voices to the games. I asked if it would be possible to be called a "butthead" by the Biff Tannen. Bruner seemed to think there was a strong possibility I will be satisfied.

Though the rest of the article contains glaring errors, so I wouldn't exactly trust the source. But it sure does read like they're getting Thomas Wilson back to voice Biff.
  • edited July 2010
    Jp, you mentioned that Biff may do the voice. I thought he was trying to distance himself from BTTF? That was the reason he never showed up to the cast reunions.
  • edited July 2010
    cyrax151 wrote: »
    Jp, you mentioned that Biff may do the voice. I thought he was trying to distance himself from BTTF? That was the reason he never showed up to the cast reunions.

Well, he seems to like to sing about it. :p (reposted from earlier in this thread)

This is the quote that prompted me to post the thing about Tom Wilson. Read into it what you will, other parts of the article are incorrect (BTTF is not a Pilot game, for instance)...

IGN wrote:
    There is also a possibility that actors from the franchises will also lend their voices to the games. I asked if it would be possible to be called a "butthead" by the Biff Tannen. Bruner seemed to think there was a strong possibility I will be satisfied.

Of course Bruner may have been referring to the character of Biff only, not the actor voicing him in-game.
    edited July 2010
    Of course Bruner may have been referring to the character of Biff only, not the actor voicing him in-game.

Most likely. The E3 PC Gamer podcast featured a very reluctant Grossman, who stated that voice actors are still TBA. That means, at that time, they simply didn't know whom they could get.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, he seems to like to sing about it. :p (reposted from earlier in this thread)

This is the quote that prompted me to post the thing about Tom Wilson. Read into it what you will, other parts of the article are incorrect (BTTF is not a Pilot game, for instance)...

Wow, I never knew about this youtube channel...
  • edited July 2010
    I know it sounds crazy, but I'm telling you anyway. The one actor I would love to have in this game: John Cleese. Laugh all you want, but I'm serious.
  • edited July 2010
    I hope that atleast some of the whole cast comes back and does the voices! michael j fox,christopher lloyd,leah thompson,tom wilson and crispin glover!
  • edited July 2010
    Apologies if this has already been posted, but have you seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1688659/
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, look at that! That's certainly interesting...
    We've already heard rumours that Tom Wilson may be back as Biff, even though he has been trying to forget he ever played the role these past few years (not showing up to cast reunions, refusing to sign BTTF memorobilia, etc). Seems like Telltale may have actually managed to convince him to return to the role. Tom Wilson apparently already does video game voices so this'll be farmiliar ground for him.

The Strickland thing is interesting too, since from that BTTF survey the other month, it seemed like Telltale were definately planning to use Strickland in some way. This IMDB page seems to have come from Telltale itself...

This seems hopeful for those wanting Christopher Lloyd...
    :D
  • edited July 2010
    I know it sounds crazy, but I'm telling you anyway. The one actor I would love to have in this game: John Cleese. Laugh all you want, but I'm serious.

I didnt even think of John but he would make a really great voice in this game they could build a character of of this idea,
    edited July 2010
    The "rumor" label on imdb means exactly that: No real information available. The imdb site for the game is one to watch, nonetheless - thanks for linking, Toothless Gibbon! ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Well, if they score Fox & Lloyd as the solidity of the series ... and maybe Wilson (since he was in the trilogy & even TAS ... it might be a GREAT success in the name of all things BTTF.

I wasn't much for BTTF3 but it WAS part of the franchise & depending on how the firs &/or second minigame goes ... U never know .....
  • edited August 2010
    Agreed. The voice acting in the LOST game was ridiculously terrible.

The game was terrible. The actors weren't just "not alike", they were awful.

A real LOST game with other voices (close to the original) would be just fine if the actors are good and the game great.
  • edited August 2010

I'm for this.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.