Puzzle Agent Graphical Bug on Puzzle 2 with Snowmobile

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, we will make sure to post an update in this thread when we get it fixed.
  • edited July 2010
    Good to hear... finding the bug is the important thing. Looking forward to downloading a fix and playing the game.
  • edited July 2010
    Disappointed with this. Do we get a free telltale game code for buying a product that lasts for 2 mins??

Quite poor in my view!
  • edited July 2010
    If this were a console game I would agree with you, Harrispca - however I believe it is not fair (or possible) to expect a developer to test their software on every possible combination of hardware. They seem to be working hard to resolve the issue and just as importantly, they are communicating with their customers so cut TellTale a little slack. There are plenty of games released by much larger publishers with game-breaking bugs that never get addressed (or even acknowledged). Perfection is not an achievable goal for any of us, yourself included.

:)
  • edited July 2010
    True Think.

Still, it's pretty weird to have a bug this bad on new hardware.
  • edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrEMvkVrAI Not that it will do much good. There are still several puzzles missing parts of the graphics.
  • edited July 2010
    I dont want to agrue, or be seen to be being difficult, but its not like its a conbination of hardware ie a certain card with a certain motherboard, or with a certain USB device.

This "game" doesnt work with "Gaming" graphic cards. The 4xx series is the latest hardware, for serious gamers.

Surely this game got tested. Telltale need to expand the testing base if no one that tests the game has the latest set ups.
    Its poor, but does go against the normal, great releases Telltale make.
  • edited July 2010
    harrispca wrote: »
    The 4xx series is the latest hardware, for serious gamers.
    In all likelihood, when this game was in the testing phase, the only Fermi based cards out there were the 480 and 470. Two cards with incredibly low yields, hard to come by, and targeting a very small portion of gamers in general.

I'm not sure I see why it's a tremendous leap in logic to not make the 400 series of cards a high priority to test. Not a single 400 series card even make an appearance on Steam's hardware survey, presumably it's clumped under other, which are likely "all the lowest market share" cards. And considering the lowest share one listed is at 0.53% of Steam users, that would mean the 400 series is even less significant than that.

And on top of that, Telltale has recognized that there is a problem, and are fixing it as we speak. That's a hell of a lot more support for their customers than a lot of companies give.
  • edited July 2010
    Just confirming that I have the same issue on a GTX 470. Will be happy to see this solved!
  • edited July 2010
    And on top of that, Telltale has recognized that there is a problem, and are fixing it as we speak. That's a hell of a lot more support for their customers than a lot of companies give.

And on top of that, they went out and bought those model cards to test with.
  • edited July 2010
    Well yes, it's a bug that stops you from playing the game, it's only natural they fix it.
    Also don't forget the bug is not limited to 4xx nvidia cards, people with other (much older) cards (like my GeForce 8600M) have the issue as well.
  • edited July 2010
    DarthBo wrote: »
    Well yes, it's a bug that stops you from playing the game, it's only natural they fix it.
    Try telling Volition/THQ.
    Also don't forget the bug is not limited to 4xx nvidia cards, people with other (much older) cards (like my GeForce 8600M) have the issue as well.
    Considering the only people here that have had an issue with a non 400 series card are Linux users, and therefore, presumably using WINE, I really don't think the card is your base problem here.
  • edited July 2010
    No, the base problem is Telltale's engine doing it wrong.
  • edited July 2010
    No, the base problem is Telltale's engine doing it wrong.

And they've acknowledged that, and they're working on fixing it. Everyone just needs to settle down and let Telltale do their thing; I'm sure they'll fix it and let us know when the fix is in.

Geez guys, you'd think you paid big bucks for this game. Should it have worked in the first place? Yes. Will this be a "brown paper bag" release? Sure. But they'll learn from this, and hopefully never make that mistake again. Just chill out.
  • edited July 2010
    It's just a game anyway ! And this way, you'll be happy once you're finally able to enjoy it -- otherwise, you'd have finished it already :)
  • edited July 2010
    demonfoo wrote: »
    And they've acknowledged that, and they're working on fixing it. Everyone just needs to settle down and let Telltale do their thing; I'm sure they'll fix it and let us know when the fix is in.

Geez guys, you'd think you paid big bucks for this game. Should it have worked in the first place? Yes. Will this be a "brown paper bag" release? Sure. But they'll learn from this, and hopefully never make that mistake again. Just chill out.

Very few people are really angry in this thread, we are just all a little disappointed such a massive bug was missed. It's not an annoying bug you have to deal with, it is a bug that makes the entire game unplayable. I think people have a right to be bothered by that considering they paid their money.

I'm okay with being patient and waiting for telltale to fix it, since they have been open about it, and frankly I waited on Sam and Max 3 and basically got Puzzle Quest for free with the 50% off deal, but STILL, it should work on release day and it should have been tested on the newest PC hardware.
  • edited July 2010
    harrispca wrote: »
    The 4xx series is the latest hardware, for serious gamers with serious cooling issues.
    Fixed.

Seriously - have you looked at the current temperatures? I'll take my cool-running Radeon 5870 over any of the newfangled nVidia boilers any day of the week as I don't have an air conditioner here...

np: Pawel - Mate (Pawel)
  • edited July 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    Fixed.

Seriously - have you looked at the current temperatures? I'll take my cool-running Radeon 5870 over any of the newfangled nVidia boilers any day of the week as I don't have an air conditioner here...

I think I'd have to take one of those over my current 4870 X2. Heats my room in the wintertime!
  • edited July 2010
    It seems like they're in no rush to get this fix out. I was really looking forward to finally being able to play it this weekend, too.
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    I think I'd have to take one of those over my current 4870 X2. Heats my room in the wintertime!

I have 2 GTX480 in SLI, and have a XSPC water cooling pump, and the system never goes above 55, unless I put crysis in, and whack everything to max (which looks fantastic, and runs great) but even then, it never tops 65.

My old Alienware system, with 2 8800GTX was always at 70-80, and that was warm.

Getting back on topic. Im not angry with Telltale, or losing it, I just think to get to the 2nd puzzle (after 2-3 mins of play, most of which is watching cut scenes) to then have serious bug that means I cant go any further is poor. Sorry for not thinking that is acceptable.

Telltale are great, and yes they are going to fix the problem, which again is good of them.

Its just a pity I had to Beta test it.
  • edited July 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    Fixed.

Way to go troll post.

P.S. my 480 never goes above 80 degrees, and was designed for that temp, and has had no negative effect on my processor temp.
  • edited July 2010
    Stop the graphic card fan boyism. Not the place.

Chiming in with the same problem on Steam with a new GTX 460 on Windows 7 64bit. I'm assuming you don't need dxdiags anymore.

Looking forward to the fix!
  • edited July 2010
    I can't imagine that anyone's working on this when there are monthly Sam & Max episodes to be finished. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm sure they have separate support teams.

It sucks it is taking so long, I can't even play the game at all, but if he says they are working on it I am sure they are.
  • edited July 2010
    I know why companies don't provide ETAs because people will just complain when they are missed, but I would appreciate a rough ball park on a patch. It was mentioned earlier that it is a significant fix, so are we talking a week, a month, or ....?

Thanks to Tell-Tale for working on a fix and being open about it. Back to working my way through the Tell-Tale everything pack!
    edited July 2010
    I'm sure they have separate support teams.

Depends on the task and the department, and unfortunately these people are all shared across all projects. More importantly, it's taking a while because we have to not break the wii/iphone versions that are still in development. I'm doing everything I can to speed it along, but my resources in this are somewhat limited :/
  • edited July 2010
    I take it this will only be fixed some time after the wii/iphone versions are released then...
    Looks like I'll have to buy the wii version as well after all, any idea when it'll be released?
  • olzolz
    edited July 2010
    at least now is time for sam and max ;), but still waiting for the fix
  • edited July 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Depends on the task and the department, and unfortunately these people are all shared across all projects. More importantly, it's taking a while because we have to not break the wii/iphone versions that are still in development. I'm doing everything I can to speed it along, but my resources in this are somewhat limited :/

Thanks for updating... it is a game-breaking bug, so hopefully it has priority.
  • edited July 2010
    So this will only get fixed after the other verisons are complete? Can I get a refund then, as I cant get past puzzle 2! (I know its only £6 something, but that is besides the point)

Its amazing how one poor expierence with a company, when not handled correctly, can change your view of them.
  • edited July 2010
    Having paid full price for the game on release day, I tend to agree with harrispca on this point. If I start to see it go on sale before this is fixed I will feel foolish for having paid full price for something that I've not been able to play until after its old hat and the price has dropped (or steam offers it on a weekend sale).
  • edited July 2010
    Think wrote: »
    Having paid full price for the game on release day, I tend to agree with harrispca on this point. If I start to see it go on sale before this is fixed I will feel foolish for having paid full price for something that I've not been able to play until after its old hat and the price has dropped (or steam offers it on a weekend sale).
    It has already been discounted to $8.95 for their ComicCon sale.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm doing everything I can to speed it along, but my resources in this are somewhat limited :/

Are you telling us that for the last three weeks nothing has been done to fix these issues? I mean we paid for a game we still haven't been able to play with!

Guess what: fixing the game should be a priority. What are we supposed to do? Wait until you have the ressources to start fixing the game? One month ( almost there )? Two months? This is ridiculous ! Amazing support. I won't make the mistake of buying one of your games again. Of course Steam doesn't offer refund after a game has been released...
    edited July 2010
    Yes, you can definitely get a refund on the game provided you purchased through the telltale store. Email support@telltalegames.com and tell them I said you need one.
  • edited July 2010
    Yes, you can definitely get a refund on the game. Email support@telltalegames.com and tell them I said you need one.

Thanks, Will. I just sent my refund request in, and may buy Puzzle Agent again when the bug has been fixed.
  • edited July 2010
    just here to say that my "gf 8500GT 450M 1GB DDR2 TV DVI PCI-E" graphic card has the problem too.
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not, if it was then take this as a confirmation post.
  • edited July 2010
    Dihard wrote: »
    Thanks, Will. I just sent my refund request in, and may buy Puzzle Agent again when the bug has been fixed.

Despite what you said, we still can't get a refund if it's past 60 days. I got store credit instead, but I don't know if I want to continue to have to deal with your buggy, rushed games.
  • edited July 2010
    Yes, you can definitely get a refund on the game provided you purchased through the telltale store. Email support@telltalegames.com and tell them I said you need one.

TellTale will only refund for purchases through the TellTale store (which makes sense):
    I can only refund purchases made through the telltale games store. Purchases through Steam will have to go through https://support.steampowered.com/

But here's Steam's response to my inquiry (with this thread referenced):
    [...]Please note that Steam purchases, per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, are not refundable.[...]

Steam still hasn't posted any warning on the store page for the game to prevent people who have the affected cards from buying something they cannot play - and they know what hardware we are using.

Guess us Steam users are SOL. I'm not blaming you (TellTale) for Steam's policy - I'm posting this to make you aware of the situation. You've got a lot of Steam users that feel ripped off - regardless of who's rules created the situation.
  • olzolz
    edited August 2010
    hey, does this fix come out some time or it's smarter to ask refund?
  • edited August 2010
    olz wrote: »
    hey, does this fix come out some time or it's smarter to ask refund?

If you bought Puzzle Agent directly from Telltale less than 60 days ago, then you might as well get a refund, as it's been weeks since the bug was reported and they still haven't given an ETA or anything.
This discussion has been closed.