Everything You Need to Know About the JP Delay

Comments

• edited April 2011
    gnarkill wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but I really hope we get a 2nd Alan Wake.

Remember"its not a lake......its an ocean"
    We will. Apparantly Microsoft has commisioned a sequel. Judging by the end of that 2nd DLC, it was pretty obvious that there would be a 2nd game anyway.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for all of your support and understanding guys! You're the best community in the world!

Please feel free to address questions as they arise to me. Of course, the FAQ thread that divisionten set up is a great resource for answers as well.
  • edited April 2011
    Man, it's stuff like this that makes Telltale one of my favorite Dev teams.

Thanks for being so understanding and generous, guys :D
  • edited April 2011
    It's pretty easy to satiate children who've never worked in the business world. One, they'll believe anything, and Two, all they need to hear is "free game" and they give the developers a free pass.

Facts of the situation are this:

Telltale poorly managed their Jurassic Park project.

Any business, anywhere in the world, will tell you that when a product is days from being released, and is suddenly pushed back 6 months....DISASTER. HAS. STRUCK.

Undoubtedly the engineers lied to their supervisors about the progress of the first episode (otherwise, management never would have allowed pre-orders to be taken). The engineers crossed their fingers and hoped they could get it done in time, but clearly things were going so poorly that there was no way to salvage it. Things got quiet, and eventually management wanted to know what the status was, and the truth must have come out.

Make no mistake about this. Taking pre-orders, only to refund them and credit those customers with a free game is a DISASTER for this project. Those were guaranteed sales that are now a total loss.

Truly, we will ALL be very, very, very lucky if this project is not cancelled, and for good reason.
  • edited April 2011
    I really cant believe that the game has been delayed i am not happy, but it gives me a chance to be surprised about the game. i have to say my pc is soo old, so i hoe to get it on the x-box:mad::D
  • edited April 2011
    pmzanetti wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to satiate children who've never worked in the business world. One, they'll believe anything, and Two, all they need to hear is "free game" and they give the developers a free pass.

Facts of the situation are this:

Telltale poorly managed their Jurassic Park project.

Any business, anywhere in the world, will tell you that when a product is days from being released, and is suddenly pushed back 6 months....DISASTER. HAS. STRUCK.

Undoubtedly the engineers lied to their supervisors about the progress of the first episode (otherwise, management never would have allowed pre-orders to be taken). The engineers crossed their fingers and hoped they could get it done in time, but clearly things were going so poorly that there was no way to salvage it. Things got quiet, and eventually management wanted to know what the status was, and the truth must have come out.

Make no mistake about this. Taking pre-orders, only to refund them and credit those customers with a free game is a DISASTER for this project. Those were guaranteed sales that are now a total loss.

Truly, we will ALL be very, very, very lucky if this project is not cancelled, and for good reason.

Well, I can confirm that none of that happened.

Also, I can confirm that Jurassic Park is not going to be cancelled and will hit the fall release. We'll have more details on exact timeframes as we get closer to the game's launch time.
  • edited April 2011
    YAY! I can get JP for my PS3!!!:D ...unless Dennis F***ing Nedry decides to hack into the Playstation Network AGAIN. I know it was him....JK...but still I'm really pissed off about the guy who hacked in...here's hoping they didn't get any of my personal info.
  • edited April 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    YAY! I can get JP for my PS3!!!:D ...unless Dennis F***ing Nedry decides to hack into the Playstation Network AGAIN. I know it was him....JK...but still I'm really pissed off about the guy who hacked in...here's hoping they didn't get any of my personal info.

Yeah, it wasn't good at all for that to happen. I only just heard about the PSN hacking this morning on the radio, and although I don't own a PS3, it doesn't make the news any less shocking to me.
  • edited April 2011
    i dont own a PS3 but will it affect PSP's PSn info, like credit card shit, i need to know b4 Nedry hacks into it o.O
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for all of your support and understanding guys! You're the best community in the world!

Please feel free to address questions as they arise to me. Of course, the FAQ thread that divisionten set up is a great resource for answers as well.
    No thank you. You have one of the best dev teams in the world.
    I can understand the delay if it means making a better product and really doing the franchise justice, which I have no doubts that you will be able to achieve.
  • edited April 2011
    Will we get our refunds before friday? thanks
  • edited April 2011
    What is going on with refunds and the free game for people who pre-ordered from Direct2Drive ?
  • edited April 2011
    i dont own a PS3 but will it affect PSP's PSn info, like credit card shit, i need to know b4 Nedry hacks into it o.O

A bit off topic but yes, all PSN accounts were potentially compromised so keep an eye on your financials for a while just to be safe (or, y'know, change everything just to be really, really safe).

And...
    pmzanetti wrote: »

Frankly...yeah. We're consumers. We paid for a product. That product wasn't delivered. We got our money refunded and a free mea culpa product. We all come out ahead. Here you go, guys :)

free-pass.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    thnx sorry for being offtopic
  • edited April 2011
    im thinkin that for TT to give a free pass we CAN JPTG it has to suck in the end, cuz they wouldnt create an awesome game to give out free to millions of pre-orderers, only if the game wasnt that good of a product they would
  • edited April 2011
    im thinkin that for TT to give a free pass we CAN JPTG it has to suck in the end, cuz they wouldnt create an awesome game to give out free to millions of pre-orderers, only if the game wasnt that good of a product they would
    Being cynical are we? You'er questioning the good faith the developers have placed on you?

I also highly doubt the pre-orders numbered the millions, hell the JP:TG forums here doesn't equal more that 500-1000 at most. Telltale is also a small game company, so they'd do things big game companies (IE: Activision) would never do...in a million years.

But hey, you have the choice of using the voucher on any other FREE game you want in the store, so the choice is yours.
  • edited April 2011
    jwb1 wrote: »
    What is going on with refunds and the free game for people who pre-ordered from Direct2Drive ?

We're working with our distribution partners on a solution for folks that pre-purchased the game from outlets other than the TTG store. We'll keep you updated on developments on that front.
  • edited April 2011
    We're working with our distribution partners on a solution for folks that pre-purchased the game from outlets other than the TTG store. We'll keep you updated on developments on that front.
    Does the free game voucher apply to the end-of-season DVD for the games chosen (specifically Jurassic Park)? Or do we still pay for the shipping and handling?
  • edited April 2011
    Was the game voucher meant to be sent with the refund? I've been refunded but no mention of a voucher
  • edited April 2011
    Ive been hyped for this game. Working my ass off for it. And now i hear that the delay will cause me not only to loose the game... BUT MAKE ME BUY IT AGAIN :mad:

Ive played all your other games (Except Monkey Island. But im not to into swashbuckling games lol) And now i can get a free game? Thank you but ive played EACH one. Will we have the choice to keep the game and not forced into the refund. Cause its not right to work hard for a game you really want and then gave the bird and loose it. Im not in a cheery mood about this. And id like to know MORE about this case. Cause this is making me angry.

What are you pissed about? Are you pissed about that it's delayed? Well, I got news for you - it happens all the time in the games industry. Are you pissed about getting it for free (after the refund and the voucher)? Because if you are, then you're insane.

People, quit complaining. Telltale is effectively putting $30 in your pocket to wait another 3 months for the game.
  • edited April 2011
    The vouchers will be sent in an email. The refunds are being processed automatically though so even if you've already received your refund your voucher is still on the way. We'll be reaching out to affected folks in the next few days.
  • edited April 2011
    Okay so I get a refund and a voucher. If I use the voucher on JP, do I get the stuff I would've gotten with the pre-order, or would I have to pre-order it again?
  • edited April 2011
    Refund huh? That's a sweet deal.
  • edited April 2011
    guilmon182 wrote: »
    Okay so I get a refund and a voucher. If I use the voucher on JP, do I get the stuff I would've gotten with the pre-order, or would I have to pre-order it again?

When JP goes back up for pre-order, you can use your voucher to pre-order JP again.

What bonuses do you think should be included apart from what we already have?

Insider Forum - check
    DVD at end of season - everyone always gets this, preorder or not
  • edited April 2011
    Molokov wrote: »
    When JP goes back up for pre-order, you can use your voucher to pre-order JP again.

What bonuses do you think should be included apart from what we already have?

Insider Forum - check

Cool. I was worried about that. So, I can use the voucher to pre-order JP again?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    guilmon182 wrote: »
    Cool. I was worried about that. So, I can use the voucher to pre-order JP again?

Yep!
  • edited April 2011
    :D wooh!!
  • edited April 2011
    Why was the decision to delay the game announced last minute? It was insulting to anxiously await this game, only in the last days of the month to be told it was not meant to be a spring release afterall. I respect and appreciate not rushing a game out and making sure the product delivered is the product desired. However clearly the community on these forums are very interested in this game, and I for one would have rather known up front that an April release was not realistic. I want the product, I will purchase the product but a little more up front honesty would be appreciated in the future.
  • edited April 2011
    I love you TellTale Games :D
  • edited April 2011
    Now I'm only speculating here but it seems to me this could indicate a shift from an episodic release of Jurassic Park to a one time full game release, which would require more time to complete the remaining episodes and package them together. Though that does bring up the question of how they would implement that - i.e. keep the episodes separate but packaged in the same game program (like their CSI games) or make one big game out of the episodes.

Anyway, if that is correct then the decision to do it came very late, like they were working on episode 1, bug fixing and the like to get it ready for release (though they may have already been contemplating putting the release back a couple of weeks) when the idea came to change the release method. If the idea was nixed then the first episode probably would have come out as scheduled, or a little late. But it looks like they weren't entirely happy with what they had done so far and had some ideas of how to improve it and we're seeing part of the results of one (or more) of those ideas. I doubt it was an easy decision for any of them to make, and that the knew that they would receive backlash for it, maybe justified, maybe not.

At the end of the day the decisions they've made are all in the interests of giving us the best game, the best experience, that they can deliver. Whether they were right or not is something we will judge come the release. And they know that. They're staking a lot of their reputation on this. I don't want to be overly dramatic here but this could be the biggest release this company has had - I feel that there is a lot riding on it. But I have hope in the good people of Telltale that they will not disappoint us come autumn.
  • edited April 2011
    Molokov wrote: »

That's good to know :) I've always preferred to play my games from disc, so I'm glad I'll still be able to get the DVD.
  • edited April 2011
    Got my refund and think I'll get the Devil's Playhouse when i get my voucher. Thanks Telltale, love being able to get a game for free and think its the right thing to push this game back if it means much better quality. Glad to see that you guys are about making quality games and not just about the money.
  • edited April 2011
    I was under the mistaken impression the voucher code would only work on a single episode of a game rather than a whole season, so I went for Hector episode 1, which is the only current game I dont have and have an interest in owning.

Was pretty bummed out about losing out on a complete season, but now I've found out I'll be able to get the other episodes for free as well takes the sting out of it :)
  • edited April 2011
    I just read that TTG confirmed that they're planning to release JP as a full game at once on a disc. No word about if there will be an episodic release as well. Does this mean you can't get it via the TTG site?
  • edited April 2011
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    I just read that TTG confirmed that they're planning to release JP as a full game at once on a disc. No word about if there will be an episodic release as well. Does this mean you can't get it via the TTG site?

Full game for Xbox 360 only. link
  • edited April 2011
    know what would be nice? If the season ending DVD was just the full game too...but maybe that's asking too much...I know it's not like editing a movie where you can just cut it up...it would be nice though.
  • edited April 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Full game for Xbox 360 only. link

It's a joke, right???

We will have to wait 5 months to play the and they get it all at once!?!?

Now we all now why was the game delayed cof::cof xbox cof::cof €€
  • edited April 2011
    well even if that's the case, at least the game itself isn't exclusive...I'm sick and tired of that nonsense. Smaller developers that pick a console to program for, I understand, but major releases that sign huge deals to only provide to one console is garbage and just angers people
  • edited April 2011
    I have a feeling my computer will die with the enhanced graphics. Even if i put it on low.
  • edited April 2011
    _djs_ wrote: »
    It's a joke, right???

We will have to wait 5 months to play the and they get it all at once!?!?

Now we all now why was the game delayed cof::cof xbox cof::cof €€

I doubt it. Microcash probably forced Telltale into doing that deal. But i think the PC gamers will get something the Xsucks users wont.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.