Symbiote Statue!

edited February 2009 in Sam & Max
http://www.symbiotestudios.com/blog/?p=176

samandmaxnpaint.jpg

BEHOLD AND WEEP (with joy)!
mish wrote: »
PS: For all of you Telltale forum visitors, how about a little less plushy talk and a little more statue and action figure discussion. ;)

Was that a hint at possible upcoming Sam & Max action figures from Symbiote? Share and discuss among friends!

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Ohh yes, That'll do nicely
    Very nicely
    I'll take one of those :D

Also I love that they have kept us up to date with images of the various stages
    Thanks Symbiote!
  • edited April 2008
    I want one of those!!

As for the action figures, I think I remember Symbiote saying they were working on an unannounced Sam and Max project beside the Statue, somewhere, so maybe. ;)
  • edited April 2008
    That statue looks so good I could eat it! Three cheers for mish and all of Symbiote!:)
  • edited April 2008
    Oh god I want it.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    That looks great!
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    This needs to be made ASAP. The books on my desk need to be propped up with style!
  • edited April 2008
    This makes me want to buy a whimsical statue of a bear.
  • edited April 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    This makes me want to buy a whimsical statue of a bear.

You're gonna have to hold your own wine, pal.
  • edited April 2008
    I want Sam & Max action figures! Actually, as I've gotten older, I've noticed that the distinction between statues and action figures has blurred... so I'll take whichever has the most effective price-to-coolness ratio.
  • edited April 2008
    That's a nice blank base! I can't wait to see it in color.
  • edited April 2008
    Have you seen your desk lately?

Needs more than a book end. :rolleyes:
    langley wrote: »
    This needs to be made ASAP. The books on my desk need to be propped up with style!
  • MelMel
    edited April 2008
    I covet those desks you have at your new digs (I've seen them). Lots of gorgeous desktop space.. Sigh.

Of course, entropy tends to take over no matter how cool the space is. :D
  • edited April 2008
    It will be nice to see it in color too, hopefully with Jimmy Two-Teeth as the rat.
  • edited April 2008
    It will be nice to see it in color too, hopefully with Jimmy Two-Teeth as the rat.

He's missing the hat, so it's automatically another rat.
  • edited April 2008
    It's beautiful...
  • edited April 2008
    It Must Be Mine!
  • edited April 2008
    I too would want it, but I imagine international shipping won't be cheap on it.
  • edited April 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I want Sam & Max action figures! Actually, as I've gotten older, I've noticed that the distinction between statues and action figures has blurred... so I'll take whichever has the most effective price-to-coolness ratio.
    au contraire...of course some statues are sold as action figures and vice versa, but the main criteria for an action figure is articulation, or else it won't do much "action". if it won't move it's a statue or better statuette...since it's small enough to carry around.
    Zeek wrote: »
    He's missing the hat, so it's automatically another rat.
    jup, those the the genuine sam&max rats as seen in the comics quite often.

anyway, are there infos on the final price yet?
  • edited April 2008
    Looks great!
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    anyway, are there infos on the final price yet?
    Or if we will see it in the TTG Store similar to the animated DVD set or the Strong Bad figure set?
  • edited April 2008
    I wouldn't could on it. This thing will probably be sold out before it's even released.
  • edited April 2008
    au contraire...of course some statues are sold as action figures and vice versa, but the main criteria for an action figure is articulation, or else it won't do much "action". if it won't move it's a statue or better statuette...since it's small enough to carry around.

Well my point is that since I'm just going to put it on a shelf and look at it, articulation has become a non-factor for me.
  • edited April 2008
    sure...i just have to be a smartass once in a while..:D
    action figures have the slight advantage of being posable, more or less, but usually the joints look quite ugly, so i would prefer a nicely done statuette.
  • edited April 2008
    ^Unless you get the Todd MacFarlin models, then there's no real point to having joints at all. Seriously, some of those action figures are better off in the poses you see them MITB.
  • edited April 2008
    ooo... goody, more junk to sit on my bookcase and collect dust... ill take two (just in case i want a snack later, or something)
  • edited April 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    ^Unless you get the Todd MacFarlin models, then there's no real point to having joints at all. Seriously, some of those action figures are better off in the poses you see them MITB.

Same with many Japanese "Action Figures". Sure they usually come with tons of swappable body parts and lots and lots of accessories, but most of the time have very vew articulation points and/or lose balance in just about every pose except the one it was in in box.
  • edited April 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Same with many Japanese "Action Figures". Sure they usually come with tons of swappable body parts and lots and lots of accessories, but most of the time have very vew articulation points and/or lose balance in just about every pose except the one it was in in box.

You can usually make them do air guitar, though.
  • edited April 2008
    I was actually just about to make my first post requesting a Max statue, but this looks awesome! Hurry up and make it!!!
  • edited April 2008
    I do not like it... :S

Making a real 3d statue from a cartoonish character is always hard.
    In this case I think the material is too smooth. It should not, they are a dog and a rabbit.
    The mouse in the gun works in the paper but in the statue not so much.
    The head of Max seems strange, the problem is probably the mouth that is too little marked.

It is not definitive anyway... Lets see...
  • edited April 2008
    Keep in mind that this is a blank base. Much like in ceramics, the final product all depends on what is painted on top of it.

Right now, there isn't suppose to be that much texture in any of the furry critters because that is how they are drawn in the comics and cartoon series. Very rarely do you see either with their fur roughed up. I don't expect the paint job to do that either.
  • edited April 2008
    ..but hopefully it will look dirty, comic-style...and those other animals are not mice, but filthy, smelly rats.;)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    We're hoping to carry this in the store, but of course it's only a limited run.

Also, I think it's looking great so far. :)
  • edited April 2008
    I think Sam's hat brim could be a bit less straight, and his muzzle seems a bit long, or something. Those are very minor gripes, though. The piece is very nicely done, and I would be happy to own it as-is right now (even without the paint).
  • edited April 2008
    Ooh, looks top notch. Provided it's not too pricey, I'd totally be willing to pick one of these up.
  • edited April 2008
    Must. Buy.
  • edited April 2008
    meelWORM wrote: »
    (...)and his muzzle seems a bit long, or something.
    you're just jealous...no, seriously, what muzzle?
  • edited April 2008
    you're just jealous...no, seriously, what muzzle?

His snout, then... it seems too elongated to me. Although, it could just be due to the angle that the picture was taken. And again, this is just a minor nitpick, overall the sculpture is amazing.
  • edited April 2008
    I thought so too about his snout, but on second inspection I think it's the shadow cast by the hat which fools you (and me, apparently).
  • edited April 2008
    The statue is based off of the comics more than the game.

1-roll.gif
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    I thought so too about his snout, but on second inspection I think it's the shadow cast by the hat which fools you (and me, apparently).

I was fooled by that as well, though it does give it the bulbous appearance it has in the comic. Also I like the little crease on the edges of his smile, and that he's got a bit more weight to him than the Telltale Sam. Fortunately, Sam has looked very different over the years. I think TTG's Sam looks more like his early comic form, combined with Hit the Road-gone-3D. This sculpt is definitely inspired by Purcell's more modern renderings of the guy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.