Sam & Max Wii now available in most places! (Germany coming in 2009)

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Well, Sam & Max is just a small-time Bargain Bin title, compared to big names like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Naruto: Clash of Ninja, and others. Maybe that's why it's taking so long for it to hit GameStop. You might as well tell us this: The release date is pushed back! Either that or just make the game an Online Only Purchase, and include the Season One Case File as a Bonus Item.
  • edited October 2008
    Future Shop (in Canada) are saying it will ship on Friday on their website. I guess they should have it in stores shortly after.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    The Mu wrote: »
    Wait.... you guys don't even know when it's coming out? I went to GameStop today and I was bummed. They said it would be in on the 15th. What went down? :mad:

Sorry for the delay, but it's nothing sinister! As mentioned above, there was a manufacturing delay. We've been told that the game is supposed to start shipping to stores early next week, so it should start showing up in stores at the end of next week (depending of course on how far the store is from the manufacturing facility -- these things are delivered on trucks -- and how quickly the store gets the game out on the shelf after it's delivered).
    Well, Sam & Max is just a small-time Bargain Bin title

Gee, thanks. :p

The delay didn't have anything to do with the title. Sometimes when products are being manufactured, stuff happens that causes the schedule to change. Disappointing, but not the end of the world!

On the plus side, GameStop.com is offering free overnight shipping on Sam & Max Wii for the next 22 hours or so, so anyone who hasn't preordered yet and wants to be sure to get it as soon as it's out now has the perfect excuse. :D
  • edited October 2008
    I'm glad that the delay is only a week. It's better than the Smash Bros 6 month delay, or Sbcg4ap's 2 month delay.
  • edited October 2008
    Hi Emily,

I'm a newcomer to the board (hi everyone), so please bear with me for any unintentional stupidity on my part.

First off, I'd like to thank Telltale for porting Season One to the Wii. I'm a Sam & Max fan from waaaaay back, and I've been wanting to play Season One for the longest time -- unfortunately, as a Mac user, I was s.o.l.

My only concern with the Wii port is that it appears that few, if any, of the bonus features from your Season One DVD edition are present (i.e., the 4+ hours of cutscene videos with commentaries, the 18 Machinima shorts, all those Teasers and Trailers + the E3 2006 one, the blooper reel, the concept art montage, plus the "surprise bonus content").

Additionally, it is my understanding is that the Bonus CD only contains a few extras which are totally different from the S1 DVD edition, and that it can only be viewed on a computer.

If this is indeed correct, could Telltale please consider implementing an upgrade path for owners of the Wii edition, whereby we could purchase your current Season One DVD edition at a discounted rate? This would give fans an economical way of obtaining this DVD as an additional Bonus Disc alongisde our Wii edition...

Needless to say, as a Sam & Max fan, I desperately wish to have all those extras in a DVD-quality format. Originally, I could never justify purchasing the S1 DVD set due to the lack of a Mac edition... and $30 is a lot to pay solely for bonus content alone, however terrific it may be.

Now, after purchasing the Wii version, I find myself in a similar quandary -- I am able to play the games, but at the sacrifice of all the outstanding bonus content. Once again I am unable to justify spending an additional $30 solely for "Bonus content". (Then again, I really have to really watch my finances, since I haven't worked in 11 years. No, I'm not a slacker... a nasty genetic disease has left me quite disabled. Ack!)

As an alternative, if such an upgrade path for Wii owners is not within the realm of possibility, perhaps Telltale could instead release a separate Season One Bonus DVD to complement the Wii version -- i.e., a DVD which contains all the Season One extras (cutscenes with commentaries, machinimas, bloopers, trailers, etc.), but with the individual PC game episodes and/or components crippled or removed.

Once again before I go, I would like to express my gratitude to everyone at Telltale Games for their efforts in porting Sam & Max over to a console system... and especially for releasing it in a physical media format rather than making it download-only. (I'm one of those types that prefers owning titles on physical media; I avoid download-only releases. I like to have some guarantee that I can still own and play my games 10 or 20 years down the line...)

Many thanks in advance for your kind consideration of my request re: the Season One DVD Extras, Emily -- it's very much appreciated! Hopefully some arragement can be worked out to enable us Wii owners a way of obtaining those delectable S1 Extras on a DVD. (Please please please...!)

Regards to all,
    Jeff
  • edited October 2008
    I've got a questions about the game like the guy above me. Do you have to unlock the episodes or are all 6 able to play at once.
  • edited October 2008
    Well, Sam & Max is just a small-time Bargain Bin title, compared to big names like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Naruto: Clash of Ninja, and others.

Well, even Mario and Sonic end up in the bargain bin sometime too. ;)

Really, everyone, just sit tight. At least the game IS coming. Plus, I noticed that Sam & Max isn't this only game that was pushed back to the 15th. I was suppose to get 'My Japanese Coach' (for the DS) on the 7th. They pushed it to the 14th-15th also. Coincidence? ...or a CONSPIRACY?

XP
  • edited October 2008
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    I've got a questions about the game like the guy above me. Do you have to unlock the episodes or are all 6 able to play at once.

All the episodes are already unlocked from the beginning.
  • GaryGary Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Well, Sam & Max is just a small-time Bargain Bin title, compared to big names like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Naruto: Clash of Ninja, and others.

jeff-bell.jpg
  • edited October 2008
    Hi Emily,

I'm a newcomer to the board (hi everyone), so please bear with me for any unintentional stupidity on my part.

First off, I'd like to thank Telltale for porting Season One to the Wii. I'm a Sam & Max fan from waaaaay back, and I've been wanting to play Season One for the longest time -- unfortunately, as a Mac user, I was s.o.l.

My only concern with the Wii port is that it appears that few, if any, of the bonus features from your Season One DVD edition are present (i.e., the 4+ hours of cutscene videos with commentaries, the 18 Machinima shorts, all those Teasers and Trailers + the E3 2006 one, the blooper reel, the concept art montage, plus the "surprise bonus content").

Additionally, it is my understanding is that the Bonus CD only contains a few extras which are totally different from the S1 DVD edition, and that it can only be viewed on a computer.

If this is indeed correct, could Telltale please consider implementing an upgrade path for owners of the Wii edition, whereby we could purchase your current Season One DVD edition at a discounted rate? This would give fans an economical way of obtaining this DVD as an additional Bonus Disc alongisde our Wii edition...

Needless to say, as a Sam & Max fan, I desperately wish to have all those extras in a DVD-quality format. Originally, I could never justify purchasing the S1 DVD set due to the lack of a Mac edition... and $30 is a lot to pay solely for bonus content alone, however terrific it may be.

Now, after purchasing the Wii version, I find myself in a similar quandary -- I am able to play the games, but at the sacrifice of all the outstanding bonus content. Once again I am unable to justify spending an additional $30 solely for "Bonus content". (Then again, I really have to really watch my finances, since I haven't worked in 11 years. No, I'm not a slacker... a nasty genetic disease has left me quite disabled. Ack!)

As an alternative, if such an upgrade path for Wii owners is not within the realm of possibility, perhaps Telltale could instead release a separate Season One Bonus DVD to complement the Wii version -- i.e., a DVD which contains all the Season One extras (cutscenes with commentaries, machinimas, bloopers, trailers, etc.), but with the individual PC game episodes and/or components crippled or removed.

Once again before I go, I would like to express my gratitude to everyone at Telltale Games for their efforts in porting Sam & Max over to a console system... and especially for releasing it in a physical media format rather than making it download-only. (I'm one of those types that prefers owning titles on physical media; I avoid download-only releases. I like to have some guarantee that I can still own and play my games 10 or 20 years down the line...)

Many thanks in advance for your kind consideration of my request re: the Season One DVD Extras, Emily -- it's very much appreciated! Hopefully some arragement can be worked out to enable us Wii owners a way of obtaining those delectable S1 Extras on a DVD. (Please please please...!)

Regards to all,
    Jeff

All of the special features on the S1 DVD have been available here since it's release
    http://www.telltalegames.com/summerofsamandmax
  • edited October 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    All of the special features on the S1 DVD have been available here since it's release
    http://www.telltalegames.com/summerofsamandmax

I understand that...

...but viewing the material on the website is NOT the same thing as having it available in a handy DVD-quality format that I can watch on my TV.

What would a hungry person prefer? To be able to hold and enjoy a delicious roast beef sandwich, or to look at pictures of one on a website?

Additionally, some links don't work (such as the blooper reel, or the Week 10 commentaries, and several others).

The real deal is vastly preferable in every way imaginable. 'Nuff said.
  • edited October 2008
    Oh Dam They Got A Delay Now Its On The 15
  • edited October 2008

What would a hungry person prefer? To be able to hold and enjoy a delicious roast beef sandwich, or to look at pictures of one on a website?

Riiight. Watching stuff on a computer screen verses a TV screen works well with that.

I don't think they'll ever make a deal with the Wii version. It just doesn't make sense to. It's like buying a single disc dvd and asking the studio to give you the special edition at a discount.
  • edited October 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Riiight. Watching stuff on a computer screen verses a TV screen works well with that.

I don't think they'll ever make a deal with the Wii version. It just doesn't make sense to. It's like buying a single disc dvd and asking the studio to give you the special edition at a discount.

1) It's was just the analogy that popped into my head at the moment -- i.e., someone starving for something he desperately wishes to have.

2) It doesn't hurt to ask, does it? If one doesn't bother to ask the question, it's unlikely that an answer will spontaneously appear of its own accord. In my case, I'm simply asking Emily/Telltale Games if this is a consideration they might be amenable to.

Something to remember is that Telltale has already offered "Free" upgrades to consumers: those who purchased the downloadable episodes online were eligible to receive a free DVD edition (with said bonuses). Alternatively, consumers who purchase the final website DVD release also receive a free upgrade of sorts: retroactive download access to the online episodes.

3) Ka-ching! In fact, Criterion, Disney and Paramount/Dreamworks are examples of studios offering very specific DVD to BD upgrade programs.

Criterion recently implemented their "$20.00 Blu-ray Upgrade Program" which they handle directly (i.e. send them your orginal disc + the fee, and they'll send you the new BD disc).

Paramount/Dreamworks' upgrade program is handled as a rebate -- "Save $10 by Mail When You Purchase the Same Title on Paramount/DreamWorks Blu-ray High Definition." So owners of any previous DVD (or HD-DVD) edition of The Godfather, Transformers, Old School, Stardust, Sweeney Todd and/or Zodiac can upgrade at a $10.00 savings per title on the superior BD special edition. (Just send in the proof of purchase tabs + copy of the BD receipt, and you get you rebate.)

Disney's offers is as follows: "Current owners of Disney's [insert title] on DVD SAVE $10 by mail when your purchase Disney's [insert title] on Blu-ray High Definition". Titles included in this upgrade promotion are Hidalgo, Coyote Ugly, Shall We Dance, Unbreakable, The Rookie, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, National Treasure, Cars, Con Air, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Ratatouille and The Rock.

Various studios have also offered DVD -> SE DVD upgrade rebates in the past on specific individual titles. One noteable example is New Line with their three The Lord of the Rings releases. Starting back in 2002 with Fellowship of the Ring, the initial VHS/DVD theatrical editions included a $5/$10 upgrade rebate certificate as incentives for upgrading to the VHS/DVD Extended ($5) or Collector's Edition ($10) sets that followed months later. This was repeated for the following two films in the series. And there are quite a few other similar examples.

All of these have/are definitely being advertised as "upgrade offers" or "incentives" -- you must own an earlier disc edition and be upgrading to the newer edition. This is not to be confused with the standard rebates companies like Warner have been offering for years (buy three titles and get back $5 or similar).

So yes, it has happened in the past (though on an individual titles basis), and now it's happening on selected title groups (Paramount) or simply anything available (Criterion).
    So there
    (neener neener)
  • No offense, but must all your posts be the length of a novel? Just pointing that out.

Anyways, Three more days! I can hardly suppress my Happiness! These Pills aren't Working as Advertised!
  • edited October 2008
    No offense, but must all your posts be the length of a novel?

Yes... :D
  • edited October 2008
    You kinda just contradicted yourself...
  • edited October 2008
    It's a novella.
  • edited October 2008
    It's a narrative :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2008
    It's a production note!
  • edited October 2008
    GameStop Called & Say That Sam&max Is Here Tom. Cant Wait To Get Out Of School Tom.
  • edited October 2008
    Dash383535 wrote: »
    GameStop Called & Say That Sam&max Is Here Tom. Cant Wait To Get Out Of School Tom.
    Stop calling me Tom! And Stop Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word!
  • edited October 2008
    I'm going to check Best Buy and Target today, and if neither of them has it, I'll know something's up...
  • edited October 2008
    Can Emily please tell us whether or not the Wii version has been shipped. If not, where along is it in the process. Has the gold been pressed. Has the disc been replicated? Has it been packaged?

Today Game Stop told me that they did not get it but that they have the bonus pre-order disc in. They do not know when it will come in and told me to call tomorrow.

Some sites are saying it will ship today others are saying it will be available the 19th.
  • edited October 2008
    It seems that everywhere I call lacks this game, Can you only get this game at Game Stop/EB Games? And even they don't have it, Guess they haven't gotten their shipment yet.
  • edited October 2008
    Then T-Man, It must be coming soon because I live in Mass and have gotten mine. Or you don't really live in Massachusetts.
  • edited October 2008
    Sweet!Can't wait to pick up a copy!!!
  • edited October 2008
    NNoah wrote: »
    Then T-Man, It must be coming soon because I live in Mass and have gotten mine. Or you don't really live in Massachusetts.
    I'm gonna try looking again in a bit anyway.
  • edited October 2008
    msliczniak wrote: »
    Today Game Stop told me that they did not get it but that they have the bonus pre-order disc in.

Same here.:(
    I hope they get a fresh shipment tomarrow so it ships.
  • edited October 2008
    ...2 states...
    ...7 stores...
    ...No results...

Telltale, I regret to inform you that the game you created doesn't exist.
  • edited October 2008
    T-man wrote: »
    Telltale, I regret to inform you that the game you created doesn't exist.

No wait...
    Gamestop just shipped my copy.
    It DOES exist.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • edited October 2008
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Also quick question.
    Like the PC version, will we have to unlock the costume in that episode to unlock in freeplay, or will it be more like sbcg4ap wiiware version.

There are no costumes in Sam and Max. What are you referring to?
  • edited October 2008
    msliczniak wrote: »
    Can Emily please tell us whether or not the Wii version has been shipped. If not, where along is it in the process. Has the gold been pressed. Has the disc been replicated? Has it been packaged?

Today Game Stop told me that they did not get it but that they have the bonus pre-order disc in. They do not know when it will come in and told me to call tomorrow.

Some sites are saying it will ship today others are saying it will be available the 19th.

Same Here Dam Gamestop Firth The 8th Then The 15th Now The 16th
  • edited October 2008

sorry lost my mind I thought there were. Never played sam and max.
    ive only played sbcg4ap and thought wrong.:o:o
  • edited October 2008

There is a costume in the original PC Lucas Arts one, I don't want to spoil it for anyone with details.

I've not played any other Sam & Max since then. I simply never had a good enough PC, and that indicates just how bad it is. I had tried many times to upgrade the graphics but was always thwarted by the metal bar behind the PCI slot and the weak power supply. More memory did not help either. I have been waiting for this game since maybe six months after the original. Now I don't have the same childhood friends to play it with I did back then, but will be playing with my children. That is a wild thought about how long I have been waiting for the 'next' game.

Anyone that has it, how does it play on the TV with the wii-mote?
  • edited October 2008
    I didn't get the Bonus Disk with mine. :(
  • edited October 2008
    supmandude wrote: »
    I didn't get the Bonus Disk with mine. :(

Atleast you got one. I had to order it, and the only way to get it at a reasonable date (Next Monday >:[) was to pay 10 extra bucks. I don't think this game exists in Western Mass.
  • edited October 2008
    Just wanted to throw my input in!

I live in Sacramento CA, well just north in Roseville, and I preordered this game, and I was the only one to do so in 60 miles. It did not come with a preorder cd since no one pre ordered.

I hope this is just mainly due to most people buying the digi dl, but common folks this is the HC!!!

dont know whether to be happy or sad... are there public sales records of digi dl from TTG/Gametap (how many total) .. hmm
  • edited October 2008
    Is there any new music for, say, the title screen or the Wii menu?
  • edited October 2008
    WOOT! I just got my copy. Now I can finally see what makes this game so popular. My best guess is Max.:D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.