Sam & Max Wii now available in most places! (Germany coming in 2009)

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Isn't region lockout optional?If not then why wasn't it ported to the DS which is reigion free and is designed for point and click games?

Not entirely sure on this, but while region locking is optional for DVDs, I think that for something released on a private platform like the Wii or 360, region locking is enforced by the console manufacturer. The GBA and DS weren't region locked, that's true, but games which use the online features of the DSi will be, as far as I know.
  • edited November 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    The GBA and DS weren't region locked, that's true, but games which use the online features of the DSi will be, as far as I know.

It's the DSiWare that is locked [or will be, once there DSi is released worldwide]. It's just like WiiWare and Virtual Console titles on Wii. You can only get titles from the region corresponding to your console. So you can't get Japanese WiiWare, VC titles and Nintendo DS Demos.

Regular DS titles will stay region free, but I'm not 100% on how the regions will be handled when it comes to DSi exclusive games on regular cartridges.
  • edited November 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Not without more details. Please post about it in the support forum and explain what you were doing when the freeze happened.

Instances are few and far between, I can cope (though I will post it in the support), but what I wanted to know is if it a known glich... but here is not the place. For now, I'll stick to begging for season 2 to come out on Wii. *ahem*
    PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE bring season 2 to Wii. My goldfish demands it!
    And we all know how violent domesticated fish can be
    !!!
  • edited November 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    360, region locking is enforced by the console manufacturer.

not true, it is the publisher which can decide whether to region lock a game on the 360i believe there is a list on wikipedia of which games are region locked, i believe the ps3 is entirely region free as well
  • edited November 2008
    Compy 386 wrote: »
    PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE bring season 2 to Wii.

I second the motion

Pretty please with big puppy eyes!!!:D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    patters wrote: »
    not true, it is the publisher which can decide whether to region lock a game on the 360i believe there is a list on wikipedia of which games are region locked, i believe the ps3 is entirely region free as well

Crazy. You learn something every day!
  • edited November 2008
    patters wrote: »
    not true, it is the publisher which can decide whether to region lock a game

It's not entirely like that and this rule does not apply to every console. While there are region free games for the 360 [though many of them are still only partially unlocked and can be played on NTSC JP / US but not PAL consoles], there aren't any for the Wii. They aeren't any for the PlayStation and Playstation 2 either. So while the publisher might have a say when it comes to region locking a game for the Xbox, I don't think you can choose the region or no region when it comes to Wii.
  • edited November 2008
    Compy 386 wrote: »
    PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE bring season 2 to Wii!!!

Now that I have Crossover, I don't want season 2 on Wii as much as the likely incompatible Season 3!
  • edited November 2008
    ig0rpwnwEd wrote: »
    Now that I have Crossover, I don't want season 2 on Wii as much as the likely incompatible Season 3!
    Don't jynx it!!!
  • edited November 2008
    Falzo wrote: »
    I second the motion

Pretty please with big, brown slits I use for eyes!!!:D

That's better. :D
  • edited November 2008
    Any updates on how the EU version of Sam & Max Wii is coming along? I'd got my hopes up for a release this Friday, but now they all seem to be quoting 28th November. Really starting to get disillusioned now, not sure I can face waiting yet another 2 weeks only to hear it's pushed back again. :(
  • edited November 2008
    This may have been asked before, but will any of the bugs and glitches be fixed
    for the Australian/European release?
  • edited November 2008
    I'm hoping to get this soon. Then it can join SBCG4AP on my Wii, and my home entertainment system will be that much more amazing.

By the way, do the graphics suffer at all due in the transfer to the Wii? The videos on this site look like they actually have pretty good graphics, but will they have the same quality once I finally get it on the big screen via Wii?
  • edited November 2008
    By the way, do the graphics suffer at all due in the transfer to the Wii? The videos on this site look like they actually have pretty good graphics, but will they have the same quality once I finally get it on the big screen via Wii?

Yes. Yes they do suffer, sadly. Some textures (such as the magazine in the Oval Office in Episode 4) are muddy and dark. Not to mention the voices cut off a little early sometimes (Max's "Whee!" voice clip glitches, I want to say, all the time in Episode 5) and models disappear and reappear if there's too much going on screen.

I'm sorry that I sound negative. I still love that they did bring the episodes to the Wii, though. ^^;
  • edited November 2008
    Breakman wrote: »
    Not to mention the voices cut off a little early sometimes (Max's "Whee!" voice clip glitches, I want to say, all the time in Episode 5) and models disappear and reappear if there's too much going on screen.

But from reading this forum, it sounds like this was only problem on some of the earliest games released, and that it should be fixed now. Is that true?
  • edited November 2008
    Has anyone seen a release date for this game in australia?
  • edited November 2008
    But from reading this forum, it sounds like this was only problem on some of the earliest games released, and that it should be fixed now. Is that true?

I have no idea since both my copies are, I guess, the first editions. ^^;

All I can say about my copies is "aww..." :/
  • edited November 2008

As far as I know, there is only one edition. Could someone from Telltale confirm this?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Zomby's correct, no changes have been made to Sam & Max Wii since it came out.

Also, the game's shipping to Europe really soon! There should be an announcement next week.
  • edited November 2008
    Also, the game's shipping to Europe really soon! There should be an announcement next week.

Mine arrived from Amazon UK today, so I'm guessing it's started shipping to some places at least. I'm a happy man this weekend. :)
  • edited December 2008
    http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/12/02/sam-and-max-coming-back-for-a-second-season/ Is NWF correct? If so, sweet! Maybe we'll get Season 3 soon after it's release!
  • edited December 2008
    Will the Telltale Store ever have the PAL versions of the Wii games?
    edited December 2008
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    Will the Telltale Store ever have the PAL versions of the Wii games?

We hope to, but are still looking into whether it's possible for us to carry them.
  • edited December 2008
    We hope to, but are still looking into whether it's possible for us to carry them.

Well, I can always use eBay if you can't. And it'll be my only option - according to the OLFC (Australian ratings and classifications) website, Season One Wii hasn't been rated, which means that it probably isn't getting an Australian release.
  • edited December 2008
    Sorry for the double post, but could you please tell us as soon as you know whether you can sell the PAL versions in the Telltale Store, even if the answer is no?
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, I really need to know when and for how much Season One is coming out in Australia. With Christmas coming up, it's essential I can let people know, so I can get it for Christmas.
  • edited December 2008
    Amen to that! i check at eb games every now and then, but they say that its coming out next week, orthe week after and also are wanting $70!!!!!! Ridicurous
  • edited December 2008
    That's relatively cheap for a game in Australia. We're really overcharged for them. At first I thought it was just the exchange rate, but...
  • edited December 2008

Any word on whether you guys can sell the PAL version of Season 1 Wii? How likely is it looking?
  • edited December 2008
    the stores ive asked now say sam and max isnt being released in australia till february 12.. so no sam and max for christmas :( I hope they are wrong of course..
    edited December 2008
    We still haven't heard back whether we can carry it.
  • edited December 2008
    We still haven't heard back whether we can carry it.

Could you please tell us as soon as you know, maybe in a front-page news post, even if the answer is no?

If you're barred from selling the PAL version online because Americans could potentially buy it and play it on modded Wiis, that would be really stupid, as people in PAL regions can just as easily buy the NTSC version from you already.
  • edited December 2008
    How long have you been waiting for word on whether you can carry the PAL version? Do you think you'll ever find out? Geez, first Nintendo's WiiWare release date dickery and now this. From where I'm standing, the console game industry looks mean and annoying.
    edited December 2008
    Apparently the game is supposed to be in Australia "any day now", so keep an eye on the shops and let us know if you see it!

I'm still following up on whether we can carry this in the store. With the region stuff, it's unfortunately not a simple question. :(
  • edited January 2009
    Play Wii in the first season is even better than the PC I can hardly wait for the second season in dda Nintendo console!
  • edited January 2009
    To any Australian's still looking for Sam and Max Wii, Its coming out on Februrary 12th in Big W and JB HIFI, BUT at JB HIFI it's 5 dollars cheaper so, Im waiting patiently till then

EDIT: Oh I forgot to put in that its 55 Dollars at JB HIFI, making the one at Big W $60.
  • edited February 2009
    mmmm, hear on mexico i have never seen somthing of sam and max, :(, also the characters arent known, so im pretty shure i will bay sam and max second season wii game on internet, so im ansius for the preorder xD.
    edited February 2009
    gilau wrote: »
    mmmm, hear on mexico i have never seen somthing of sam and max, :(, also the characters arent known, so im pretty shure i will bay sam and max second season wii game on internet, so im ansius for the preorder xD.

The game did get released in Mexico (I approved the packaging!), although I'm not sure where to tell you to look for it.

No news on the PAL version in Telltale's store yet. Sorry guys. :(
  • edited February 2009
    thanx emily,thats nice to know, i guess i will have to sersh again on other stores:p.
  • edited February 2009
    Hi Telltalers

Firstly can I say loved the SBCG4AP series, really excellent work and great to see a good new point and click game :)

As a fan of your work on SBCG4AP, the Sam and Max cartoons and the old SCUMM classics, I thought it was about time I checked out Sam & Max season 1 for Wii (as a Mac man I can't play the PC version).

Unfortunately the titles put me between a rock and a hard place as although the game is funny and good fun, it's also at the same time the worst game I've played on Wii due to the vast number of technical problems including: every other audio line being cut short (some of the shorter ones aren't even played), invisible objects, extreme lag during cut scenes (particularly in Ep 2), complete crashing (had to restart my wii by the plug 4 times), loading times of up to 2 mins per room, audio trapped in a loop (i.e. hearing "yay we wo, yay we wo, yay we wo... etc...) and the fact that my Wii sounds like its grinding the disk to a pulp with the noise it makes. The fact I'm only half way through the second case makes the sheer number of problems I've faced even worse.

Luckily since I got the game ridiculously cheap (£3.99) I'm inclined to persevere but I really hope you can get whatever has gone horribly wrong fixed if you bring any more disk games to Wii. It's a real shame to see great content ruined by technical flaws.

Thanks for listening to this rant, and good luck with all the future projects. Although I can't reccomend Sam & Max for the Wii, i'll be sure to carry on pestering our listeners to take a look at SBCG4AP and to check out the PC versions if possible.

Time to play a bit of SBCG4AP-E4-D3-TCP ;)

Jack@WiiDS
Sign in to comment in this discussion.