Really Telltale? Really? So this isn't a joke?

Comments

• That's my worry about Minecraft- how can you make an engaging story like TWD and their other stuff when Minecraft itself is a characterless, depthless game. But if Telltale did approach Minecraft about the idea first then they must have an idea of what they're doing. If it'd been the other way round, then all hope would've been lost.

dojo32161 posted: »

No idea, it's not 100% clear, I only know that Microsoft is not involved, as it was discussed before Microsoft gaimed Minecraft's license an

• It's true that it's... different from what they usually do but hey! It's Telltales, they will pull this off somehow. Let's not forget that when their first games came out, they were different than traditional video games. Telltales became famous for their difference with today's industry; I don't think TWD would be so popular if it was a zombie killing FPS. Anyways, all that to say give them a chance, they may surprise you like they surprised tons of players with TWD.

With the seriousness off, I don't have the slightest idea on how it will turn out to be a story driven game.

• To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about Minecraft, but from what I'm reading and hearing Minecraft does not have a story. For those who wanted Telltale to create its own characters and story, it seems to me TT does not want to do that so this is literally the closest it will get. It can create its own story using an established brand with little or no background to confined them. Seems like a win-win scenario even if you personally are not interested in the Minecraft world.

• Agree with your last point. The problem is that TWD and there other stuff is character based- it's all about emotion, and how the characters interact with each other. That's why people love their games. But Minecraft has none of this, so their basically starting from scratch. Also, TWD and there other stuff is more realistically set, whilst Minecraft is obviously a computer sandbox game- immediately the realism is ruined, which undermines the players relations with the characters. I can't imagine Minecraft getting the same emotions out of people as TWD has.

Then again, this is for a younger audience, so I guess they can't make it too emotional. My main worry is that, by attracting a new, young audience, Telltale will tone down there other stuff just to get more kids interested in their other stuff.

CatySky posted: »

It's true that it's... different from what they usually do but hey! It's Telltales, they will pull this off somehow. Let's not forget that w

• I was hoping for a Sci-fi Telltale game, or at least Breaking Bad. And i got Minecraft..

• People who remember the old Telltale and know they can make a decent game for younger audiences unite! Like my post!

• im mad because its Minecraft ! this game is ridiculous and i dont see what story can possibly be made for this .

it would be much better to create a game based on something like Tv Show / Books / Movies than in another game , a game that is made for kids tbh

my opinion is just that , but i would never buy this game .

• It is my worry too. As optimistic as I want to be, I have to say that Minecraft isn't the best choice to tell an emotional story. TWD and GOT (can't speak for Borderland because I haven't played it yet and I am not familiar with the universe) take place in an already dramatical set so it's easier to create a good story. And, for me at least, it's easier to take seriously and relate to a human or even something who seems realistic enough than to a block one; it'll be difficult to make him express a wide range of expressions and emotions in my opinion.

As for the kids, I don't think Telltales will ever down on purpose their over stuff. Even if Minecraft turns out to be more childlish, they won't downgrade the fan favorites just to please the new fanbase. Maybe they'll develop new games series more aimed at a young audience but the series which made their sucess will stay the same.

My worry is that, working on so many different stuff, they'll end up downgarding all their games. Telltales isn't really the biggest company put there. But, maybe working with all those popular names will get them a fair amount of new fans which means more money, so they would be able to hire more people.

Agree with your last point. The problem is that TWD and there other stuff is character based- it's all about emotion, and how the characters

• There was no demand for the Walking Dead game and there was no demand for a Wolf among Us game before Telltale announced those games.

You could say that the only, absolutely only franchise Telltale picked up for which there actually WAS a demand in their existing fanbase was Monkey Island.

And that is all.

The Walking Dead has character depth and meaning, something which (unless Telltale do something miraculous) has absolutely none of. One is a

• They did create all the Walking Dead characters from the ground up. They'll do the same with Minecraft.

That's my worry about Minecraft- how can you make an engaging story like TWD and their other stuff when Minecraft itself is a characterless,

• Thread: Is Info Quest II any indication of what to expect?

Cause if it is, then count me out.

I'm always for giving the benefit of the doubt, especially with Telltale. They have never failed to amaze me (well, except with certain Episodes of TWD, but those amazed me in another way ahem ahem). But this game...

For anyone who hasn't played, you basically are some guy and walk up to another guy. Then you can ask questions on a text-base, and he will answer them in sometimes pretty weird ways.

There isn't even VA in that. Now, of course that doesn't mean there won't be any VA in the finished game, but I don't know...

Also, it was almost funny how unfunny it was. I felt reminded of some jokes that I would have laughed about when I was maybe 5...and I doubt 5-year-olds will play this, I guess the players will at least be 10.

The old 'you pulled the wrong thing out of your pocket thing' four times in a row?? Are you serious??

Well, whatever, there are too many threads about this as it is, so consider this rant thing done.

• For anyone who hasn't played, you basically are some guy and walk up to another guy. Then you can ask questions on a text-base, and he will answer them in sometimes pretty weird ways.

That's basically the premise of adventure games, yes. Particularly the traditional.

Thread: Is Info Quest II any indication of what to expect? Cause if it is, then count me out. I'm always for giving the benefit of t

• edited December 2014

You can't be serious judging Info Quest like it's a game . . . or making the assumption that Telltale's game will be like it . . .

That was not meant to be a proper game, just an announcement for Telltale's new game, giving some info on it in an interactive form. Maybe not even made by Telltale, or only partly. With people like you around, people/companies shouldn't try to give announcements/info in a unique way.

Jesus, people shouldn't be worrying about the Minecraft crowd. They should take a long, hard look at themselves.

And yes, Vain is right.

(Sorry to the mods, but this is absolutely ridiculous.)

Thread: Is Info Quest II any indication of what to expect? Cause if it is, then count me out. I'm always for giving the benefit of t

• Have you fools ever thought that you might not be the target audience?

• edited December 2014

Probably not.

People think they have to buy everything. People also think Telltale have to do what they want. And people also seem to think their opinions are fact.

Ironically, as we know next to nothing about the game, it may even turn out to be something they get some enjoyment from. But no, let's just hate it. And let's pester Telltale about TWD Season 3, when Season 2 was supposed to be rubbish, like it's a fact. (Thankfully, it seems to be dying down. Or seemed to have been)

Have you fools ever thought that you might not be the target audience?

• Oh trust me they will. But most of the hardcore haters will be long gone and will be replaced by a new bunch of kids that are going to hate on the next game telltale announcens.

Rob_K posted: »

Probably not. People think they have to buy everything. People also think Telltale have to do what they want. And people also seem to thi

• edited December 2014

Actually, I don't have much faith in the haters disappearing. I've seen people hang around TWD forums, taking any chance they get to take a dump on it. But yes, new ones will appear and the cycle will repeat.

Oh trust me they will. But most of the hardcore haters will be long gone and will be replaced by a new bunch of kids that are going to hate on the next game telltale announcens.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

@Vainamoinen wrote:
    You could say that the only, absolutely only franchise Telltale picked up for which there actually WAS a demand in their existing fanbase was Monkey Island.

And that is all.

Well, that and Sam & Max, especially considering that the cancellation of the Sam & Max game they were making at LucasArts was the catalyst of formation of Telltale games.

I was definitely one of the people in their fanbase that was hoping for that ever since they announced their new studio in 2004. I think pretty much their entire fanbase was hoping for that at the time, but of course their fanbase was pretty small at that point. ;)

Vainamoinen posted: »

There was no demand for the Walking Dead game and there was no demand for a Wolf among Us game before Telltale announced those games. You

• Yeah really and I think it's genius, using a game with little story and expanding on it, I don't get the hate on MineCraft, I used to hate it but I got addicted temporarily and never touched it again but I still don't get the hate TBH.

• There's a good song to describe it, We didn't start the Fire. Good song, it says that we never started the hate or the problems and that they've been around since the start and will stay around till the eventual end. My advice is to let the Mods handle everything and not make rude comments about the people who disagree with the game or you might risk punishment yourself.

Actually, I don't have much faith in the haters disappearing. I've seen people hang around TWD forums, taking any chance they get to take a dump on it. But yes, new ones will appear and the cycle will repeat.

• Golden even you wouldn't deny that you WERE one of the ones who started the fire.

There's a good song to describe it, We didn't start the Fire. Good song, it says that we never started the hate or the problems and that the

• edited December 2014

How does that apply to anything though?

I was but that doesn't mean we should continue to hate on each other, if it be people who dislike the game or people who like it, we shouldn't insult one another. Out of the many things I've said in the Minecraft section I never insulted another member for liking the idea. We should let the Mods handle it because at the point we're at there isn't even people making threads hating it but there is threads being made to hate the people hating it. It's quite ridiculous to be honest and I promised to not post on this section unless I was providing support or just calming things down. Now, by calling me out for hating the idea earlier isn't doing anything but trying to start a fight when I was merely telling them to stop the hate of each other.

I also don't think you understand what I was saying. No one started the fire, the hate has been around forever and it will always be around.

Flog61 posted: »

Golden even you wouldn't deny that you WERE one of the ones who started the fire.

• edited December 2014

To be honest, a ban at this point might be best. At least then I wouldn't waste my time posting. And I'm not normally rude as I hope people can attest to, but come on . . . that Info Quest post was utter stupidity. Too much time wading through the GoT Steam forum today, then I come here and find that. I should not be amazed by people anymore, yet I am.

That said, I've said my piece regarding that post. I doubt I'll be getting rude again and I will try my best to not reply to negative posts anymore. But that one was . . . yeah.

There's a good song to describe it, We didn't start the Fire. Good song, it says that we never started the hate or the problems and that the

• It's okay, we all snap at some point. I was having a shit week and was on the verge of a mental breakdown and then Minecraft was announced...I went off, I apologize for how I expressed my opinions as you can tell from Flog I was indeed hating on this game and very strongly too. You have to try and understand the other side, for me it was a mental breakdown and the fear of a different Community coming here and dividing me from my friends. I did over react but so are other people and on both sides.

You seem like a cool dude, I've seen you all over the Forums. Sometimes people think that bans are good but to be honest it really isn't. Just ignore the posts as I am doing or if you reply, try and keep the peace as mine was.

Have a good day man.

To be honest, a ban at this point might be best. At least then I wouldn't waste my time posting. And I'm not normally rude as I hope people

• edited December 2014

I remember what you've said about the game.

See, my problem? Why I find it hard to resist at times?

I've been writing for years. Not seriously, mind, until I started self-publishing. But during those years, I was heavily involved in writing forums and critiquing. During my time, I've learned to respect the work of others. If I have negative views, I've learned to voice it as nicely as I can. And I know that if something isn't for me, then it isn't for me. But that doesn't mean it is rubbish.

So, when I see people crapping on the efforts of others and calling developers lazy, it irks me to no end as a creative person. I honestly think a lot of the people complaining would be taught a lesson by not having what they want done. And it's not exactly about defending the creators of products, because I also know this is the sort of treatment I should expect as well. Does this make sense? Though it is partly about defending the creators as well. (I remember Neil Gaiman putting it aptly when it comes to George R R Martin: 'He's not your bitch'.)

Basically, the only thing I expect is for people to give something a chance (or not, but if that's the case, to not keep complaining), to be reasonable and to show some respect. But no, the internet culture today makes it seem like there is very little respect these days. I have absolutely no qualms with people disagreeing with me or disliking something, as long as they're respectful and they at least have a logical reason.

My advice to people as well is that Telltale only makes games, as I only write stories. Try not take things so seriously. Myself, if I didn't like something, I'd maybe say a word or two, but I wouldn't do what I've seen here.

It's okay, we all snap at some point. I was having a shit week and was on the verge of a mental breakdown and then Minecraft was announced..

• Yes, I understand the feeling and for that very reason is why after my breakdown had ended I realized that I should stop and wait to understand what it's like before I give judgment. After the first day my hate wasn't directed towards the game anymore as it was towards the possibility of people ruining this community. I myself write stories on here of which many people love, I actually have fans, and for this reason it made me regret the way I voiced my opinion on this.

Trust me, you aren't changing me as I have already changed through talking with my friends and thinking about my stories. People snap and it's understandable why, your reasons for getting upset at people's treatment of this game are reasonable and right. We know nothing about the game so we can't judge the game as we can the idea...I still think this idea doesn't work with Telltale's style but I won't hate the game till we see the end results for this idea of which then I'll give my honest judgment about the game.

We should all just calm down and stop insulting each other, the conversation we're having is a great way of showing how we as a Community and just have a nice detailed explanation of our reasons for liking or disliking something. However you aren't changing my opinion on the idea and you aren't changing me as I've already changed the way I voice my opinion.

I remember what you've said about the game. See, my problem? Why I find it hard to resist at times? I've been writing for years. Not s

• edited December 2014

That's fine and I wasn't trying to change you. To be honest, I don't expect anyone to change. It's like . . . a woman is with someone, keeps telling herself the guy will change, but he never does.

I just wanted to explain myself and maybe, just maybe get people to reflect on how they're acting. It's like you've realised, (said generally) you wouldn't like it if someone was to talk about your stories in this manner or demand you do something you don't want to do. Your response to those demands, quite rightly, would be 'shove it and don't buy it then', though it would likely be worded nicer, especially if you had a reputation to worry about.

Anyhow, I'm going to drop it here. Maybe I'll look out for your stories sometime. I'm not really the kind to give feedback however, unless it's words of encouragement or feedback on the technical aspects. I don't really do content, especially as content is more subjective than the technical details.

Yes, I understand the feeling and for that very reason is why after my breakdown had ended I realized that I should stop and wait to underst

• Well, I'm glad we could discuss this. I didn't really think you were trying to change me but I just wanted to put it out there. I hope I see you around the Forums more, you seem pretty cool.

Have a good day.

That's fine and I wasn't trying to change you. To be honest, I don't expect anyone to change. It's like . . . a woman is with someone, keeps

• 'it says that we never started the hate or the problems'

You were one of the people starting the problems and the hate.

How does that apply to anything though? I was but that doesn't mean we should continue to hate on each other, if it be people who dislike

• We never did, it's always been around. I never started the hate or the problems...I just joined in. People now are still causing the hate and the problems, just now it's turned from people hating on the game to people hating on the people who hated on the game. The hate will never stop, it will just go from one subject to another.

Now please, I have no idea why you are trying to get into a fight so I ask we end this here. Can we do that Flog?

Flog61 posted: »

'it says that we never started the hate or the problems' You were one of the people starting the problems and the hate.

• Next thing you know Naughty Dog and TTG merge together to form The Last of the Walking Dead...

• Fair point.

The other problem with bringing in a younger audience though is that they might have to tone down the violence and swearing in there other games to appeal to their new fan base. I doubt Telltale would do that, but if they attract enough attention from this game then they'll have to tailor TWD and their other stuff to their new audience.

There was no demand for the Walking Dead game and there was no demand for a Wolf among Us game before Telltale announced those games. You

• TWD is based on a comic, Minecraft is a game. They've got a much tougher job on their hands than they did with TWD and TWAU

They did create all the Walking Dead characters from the ground up. They'll do the same with Minecraft.

• This forum also will turn into a COD forum with ages from 6 to 12.

It was already that.

• i dont now how to feel i was concern about tales from the borderland but this I agree is odd. WHY NOT MAKE A SEASON 2 OF WOLF AMONG US. That was my favorite telltale and maybe my favorite game of all time. Or make GTA telltale that would be amazing. not this

• Coming next:
    Candy Crush Saga the Telltale game.

• Ok, all that aside (I see most of your points), were did I say anything about the Minecraft crowd? I only said that players will probably be at least 10 years old.

Also, I didn't like the way they presented it. Call me old-fashioned, whatever. Sorry for not liking it. Jesus.

And that has nothing to do with it being an adventure game at all. Just saying. I like the Monkey Island games and other point and click adventure games. It's just that I really did not like this. And there definitley is a possibility there that this resembles the actual product.

You can't be serious judging Info Quest like it's a game . . . or making the assumption that Telltale's game will be like it . . . That w

• edited December 2014

Epic,

I apologise for snapping. I've just had a rather . . . rough day of endlessly debating things with people who refuse to listen and like to troll. So again, I apologise.

Now, to reply and in a none snarky way as the above wasn't said in a snarky way, I promise, without any intent to continue this:

You didn't say anything about the Minecraft crowd. Again, I snapped, implying I thought your post was similar to what people fear the Minecraft fans will post. And again, I do apologise. It was uncalled for . . . but at least you've said you see most of my points. So I hope it's at least somewhat understandable. Still, I could have said things better. (I do apologise for my words further down as well. I'd edit them . . . but I might as well leave them and if a ban's coming my way, a ban's coming my way. I should note though that my words about 'people' were said in general.)

Not liking the way it's presented is fine. Just not really fine to think it's representative of what the game will be like, as I don't see any real basis for thinking that. (I mean, you obviously know it'll be more of a traditional Telltale game in gameplay terms when it comes to the 'choice based' games, or it's likely anyway considering they've said it's narrative based and choice driven, and well . . . well, I've covered this further down)

That final point is also fine about the point and click games. I was more responding to Vain there. There is a slight possibility that the writing, not the 'game', resembles the proper product, but only slight. The final product, I'm sure, whether you like the humor/writing or not (which is fine), will be of a much higher quality. And obviously, it's also fine if the game just isn't for you. This does leave the matter of the graphics though, but again, I'm sure they'll be of a much higher quality even if they are 'blocky'.

Anyway, again, I do apologise for snapping. If you don't wish to accept my apology, that's fine. I'll say no more about it and will just try to avoid crossing paths with you.

Ok, all that aside (I see most of your points), were did I say anything about the Minecraft crowd? I only said that players will probably be

• Hey, no hard feelings :)

It's perfectly fine that you disagree with my opinion, it's just the way that you did that really annoyed me. But you apologized, so it's all fine. I apologize too, because I realize my comment was maybe a little provocive.

Also, we can cross paths again :D

I don't hate you or anything, we just clashed over an opinion and we both have agreed to disagree (in a way), and both apologized for our mistakes.

Epic, I apologise for snapping. I've just had a rather . . . rough day of endlessly debating things with people who refuse to listen and

• edited December 2014

Glad to hear that. :) It wasn't so much that I disagreed with your opinion. I had typed up a long explanation, but I've just edited it out. I guess it's not needed. And I'm glad my apology was accepted.

There was nothing for you to apologise for, by the way. Your reaction was totally understandable.

Hey, no hard feelings It's perfectly fine that you disagree with my opinion, it's just the way that you did that really annoyed me. But

This discussion has been closed.