Tales of Monkey Island - won't start up!

edited April 2010 in Game Support
Hi Guys,

I've just downloaded my long-awaited first episode of Tales of Monkey Island and - woe is me! - I can't even get beyond the flash screen. When I doubleclick on the game icon, the Telltale menu comes up, but with an error message giving the helpful info "unexplained error". From there, I can't get the game proper to start (or rather, something starts happening, but nothing visible and the programme seems to hang completely about 3 minutes afterwards).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but keep encountering this same problem. What am I doing wrong? I've played through Sam & Max season 2 on this PC without any problems and I'd be massively disappointed if I couldn't get this to work, for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give...

Naomi

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Exact error I'm getting. I can however click the 'No thanks, just take me to the demo' button, and then start the demo, but I can't for the life of me now find an alternate way to activate. At least, the method I was using for W&G no longer works.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having the same problem as well. I haven't tried just playing the demo yet though. I'll go see if that works.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    The error itself is just a sign that the server is getting hammered, and shouldn't actually affect the game at all. So what's likely happening is another issue. Just so I'm clear, you click Play Game and it the wrapper goes away... then nothing happens?
  • edited July 2009
    That's exactly what's happening, yep. Then as soon as I start to try to do something else, I suddenly see the skull & crossbones on black loading screen (I'm assuming that's what it is!), but the programme hangs.

I'm downloading the install file again now, to check whether the problem still applies. Will also try that demo tip and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Naomi
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    The error itself is just a sign that the server is getting hammered, and shouldn't actually affect the game at all. So what's likely happening is another issue. Just so I'm clear, you click Play Game and it the wrapper goes away... then nothing happens?

Yup, that's it.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh - and I also meant to say Thanks for the speedy replies. Very impressive!

Naomi
  • edited July 2009
    Dale wrote: »
    Exact error I'm getting. I can however click the 'No thanks, just take me to the demo' button, and then start the demo, but I can't for the life of me now find an alternate way to activate. At least, the method I was using for W&G no longer works.

This part of the problem can be resolved by typing/pasting in your serial number.

I've found that the game will load up if you leave it long enough (about 5 mins or so in my case), but the mouse is painful to move and trying to switch resolutions/quality gets you waiting again.

For the record I'm running Vista on a 1.8Ghz Core Duo Macbook 2GB RAM and 64MB Integrated Graphics

I tried updating Direct X, taking the resolution down to 640x480 and the quality down to 1 but it still runs quite jerky and lip sync is nowhere near. :(
    edited July 2009
    Ok, so if you make it to the skull and crossbones, that means you are at least loading up the game, which is a start. Did you update your DirectX when you installed the game? Also, do you know your system specs, specifically your video card?
  • edited July 2009
    I'm getting the same problem here. I get an initial errorundefined error message and then when I launch the game it takes a good while before the loading screen pops up and freezes. =/
  • edited July 2009
    Hello there.

I'm also having some difficulties with playing the game. I activated it successfully however during the screen with the "Launch Game!" button a modal dialog box with the title "Windows Internet Explorer" and the message "errorundefined" pops up. Once I press the "Launch Game!" button a black loading screen with a gray skull icon briefly appears before my Visual Studios Just-In-Time Debugger (an application that I usually find more annoying than helpful, however I don't know how to disable it) pops up informing me of an unhandled win32 exception. On closer inspection it also gives me the following information:

First-chance exception at 0x7c87fbd2 in MonkeyIsland101.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000000ac.
    The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3d4) has exited with code -1073741819 (0xc0000005).
    *14 other threads exists with the same code*
    The program '[3612] MonkeyIsland101.exe: Native' has exited with code -1073741819 (0xc0000005).

I'm using:
    Windows XP SP2
    AMD Sempron Processor 2800+
    1.60GHz
    512 MB RAM
    RADEON 9800 PRO AGP (0x4E48) 256 MB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, so if you make it to the skull and crossbones, that means you are at least loading up the game, which is a start. Did you update your DirectX when you installed the game? Also, do you know your system specs, specifically your video card?

I'm not even making it to the scull and crossbones.

I'm using an iMac with a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM, and an NVidia GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB, running Windows XP SP3. I updated DirectX when installing the game.

Thanks for your help.
  • edited July 2009
    i seen the skull and crossbones, and i got the the same dump after it, so lets recap, i see a black window about 4x4 in size, and then the loading skull and cross bones comes up, then the game crashes, i have the latest video drivers, and latest directx updates. i am running a amd 64 3800+ 2.4g 4 gigs of memory, 300 gig hard drives sound blaster 24 bit sound card, ati sapphire x1600 pro 512meg video card.

AppName: monkeyisland101.exe AppVer: 2009.7.6.29796 ModName: monkeyisland101.exe
    ModVer: 2009.7.6.29796 Offset: 001f12c8

Ok this is interesting, now this should not matter right? but i made a shortcut, and put -w for windowed mode after the path, and i see the crossbones when i do that, but when i take the -w out, it just shows a black screen then crashes.
  • edited July 2009
    Guys looks like the monkeyisland101.exe crash is to do with screen resolution. My laptop (Vista Ulimate x64) has a default resolution of 1400x900 I dropped it to 1024x768 and wha-la it works... :D

If this works for you post back here to let other peoples know...

Regards
  • edited July 2009
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: MonkeyIsland101.exe
    Application Version: 2009.7.6.29796
    Application Timestamp: 4a52df42
    Fault Module Name: MonkeyIsland101.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2009.7.6.29796
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a52df42
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 001f12c8
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: e17d
    Additional Information 2: 3be9f8a50bddd4313bd572f57066c49b
    Additional Information 3: 81dc
    Additional Information 4: aa162d78020c3d2d8202ca7dabeada06

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409
    edited July 2009
    Ok, testing this theory that it might be a screen resolution problem, I've attached a prefs.prop file. Just drop this in to to \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal then try to start up the game. This should have all of the settings turned way down and defaulted to windowed mode.
  • edited July 2009
    Changing the screen resolution didn't work for me. However, while poking around in my display settings I noticed that I was running in 16 bit color for some reason. I bumped it back up to 32 bit, and now the game seems to be working.
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, testing this theory that it might be a screen resolution problem, I've attached a prefs.prop file. Just drop this in to to \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal then try to start up the game. This should have all of the settings turned way down and defaulted to windowed mode.

I couldn't see it attached, or am I just missing it?
    edited July 2009
    Oh, yeah, 16 bit color will definitely do that to you. I'm guessing this thread actually has two or three different problems that all just happen to look the same on the surface. My favorite!
  • edited July 2009
    My problem is that the game seems to freeze after about 5 min of playing. It starts fine, looks fine, and plays well... but never fails to freeze up shortly after starting the game. I've tried changing the game settings to many of the resolutions but they have all ended the same way. Unfortunately there is no error to show, it just freezes. Perhaps I just need a better comp. In any case this makes me a saaaaad panda.

Processor: 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64 (3400+)
    Memory: 1 GB
    DirectX Version: 9.0c
    Video Card: Radeon X1650 Series (512 MB)
    Monitor: Acer AL2216W (22" widescreen - native resolution of 1680x1050)

Any ideas are appreciated!
  • edited July 2009
    Make sure your color settings are set to 32-bit not 16-bit.
  • edited July 2009
    Color settings are set; must be different issue for me.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread, it just seemed like a few other people also had freezing problems!

Thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    Colour seems to be at 32 bit for me too.

Even at the lowest settings the game is taking a very long time to load up and is only just playable.

Hopefully a solution will emerge, if not I guess I'm going to be looking forward to the Wii release even more than I anticipated ;-)
    edited July 2009
    Hey furen, is it crashing in the same place every time or is it just after 5 minutes or so? You might want to start with updating your graphics driver (as your card is a bit on the low end) and your directX
  • edited July 2009
    Ok now with the "prefs.prop" added after launch i get the black 4X4 window the load crossbones appear, it spins then it crashes, and not all the time do i get the 4x4 black window sometimes a white window comes up and it crashes, i tryed to delete the prefs.prop, no affect, btw i got the MonkeyIsland101_setup.exe and LaunchOfTheScreamingNarwhal_Setup.exe in the LaunchOfTheScreamingNarwhal_Setup.exe there is no directx dll in the game folder like there was in the 101 setup.?!? anyways i tryed both with and without the directx Mar2009_d3dx9_41_x86 dll.

My Computer Specs.

Amd athlon 64 3800+ 2.4gig
    Memory 4 gigs of dual channel ram
    300 gig hard drive
    Video Ati sapphfire x1600 pro 512meg
    sound blaster 24bit advancedhd sound card
    gigabyte motherboard.

Current setup
    video color 16bit
    video res 1024x768
    tryed other res for lauching game, no affect.
  • edited July 2009
    FuRen wrote: »
    My problem is that the game seems to freeze after about 5 min of playing. It starts fine, looks fine, and plays well... but never fails to freeze up shortly after starting the game. I've tried changing the game settings to many of the resolutions but they have all ended the same way. Unfortunately there is no error to show, it just freezes. Perhaps I just need a better comp. In any case this makes me a saaaaad panda.

Processor: 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64 (3400+)
    Memory: 1 GB
    DirectX Version: 9.0c
    Video Card: Radeon X1650 Series (512 MB)
    Monitor: Acer AL2216W (22" widescreen - native resolution of 1680x1050)

Any ideas are appreciated!
    Did you install the DX version that came with the game? There are dozens of versions of DX9.0c that get updated several times a year.
  • edited July 2009
    I did tell the installer to check for and install any updates to DirectX. The exact version I have is 4.09.0000.0904

I will try upgrading my graphics drivers to see if that can help.
    I have seen this freezing problem in other games (but only on rare occasions), so maybe it's just time I gave my graphics an overhaul.

And just for the record, it didn't freeze at the same spot all the time, it was just (seemingly) a matter of time. I was actually very slowly progressing in the game. :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • edited July 2009
    I get no error. The Launcher starts. I click to play, the launcher closes. Nothing opens. Also seems to be happening with the free game I downloaded. Strongbad episode 2. I played the entire sam and max series on this computer. Don't know why it would give me an issue now.

Pentium 4 3ghz
    gig and a half sdram
    Raedon x700 5something megs of ram on that
    XP home
  • edited July 2009
    Ok i got the game to work, i had video color at 16bit, after i changed it to 32bit the game would run, then crash after i hit newgame, so then i downloaded the prefs.prop for 1024x768, and now everything runs fine.
    edited July 2009
    Hey Luppy, I'd try updating your graphics driver. That video card is a bit on the old side and may not necessarily be supported anymore. A lot has changed since Sam & Max I'm afraid. Also try updating your directx.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Luppy, I'd try updating your graphics driver. That video card is a bit on the old side and may not necessarily be supported anymore. A lot has changed since Sam & Max I'm afraid. Also try updating your directx.

A x700 supports DX9.0b and definitely exceeds your advertised minimum specs :s
    edited July 2009
    Oh wait, you are right Estel. I was thinking of the Mobility x700, which has been known to cause a lot of trouble of late. Still, driver updates are always a good thing.
  • edited July 2009
    and in this case still no go
  • GoTGoT
    edited July 2009
    Okay....

i had the same problem the first batch of ppl here were having and i put the prefs thing into that directory and it worked!!!! As soon as i tried to then set it to full screen mode in the in-game settings it crashes. So quite obviously some type of graphical issue.

i have a ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP and i've ran the HOTFIX to update the drivers etc and no other games have any issues. or any other programs for that matter.

i'll play in window mode until ppl have anwwers.

but thanks fro the prefs thing it helped!!

GoT (aka satisfied customer)
  • edited July 2009
    You updated a lot since Sam and Max?

Does this mean MOBILITY RADEON 7500 can't manage to just barely crank out the game any more?

Is that why I'm getting the "crash just after the skull and crossbones" problem too?

And I can't update since I don't even know if they make drivers for this thing. I've never been able to find one, ever. Stupid integrated video card...

>_> Is there a solution other than getting a new computer?
  • edited July 2009
    It just works very very slowly. But then I remember the good ole days of 10-disc swapping on the Amiga. Monkey Island was always this way :(
  • edited July 2009
    First time I've downloaded a telltale game so I've nothing to compare it to but I'm having similar problems.

I get the launch screen then when I click 'launch game' nothing happens. A couple of minutes later I get a message telling me that monkeyisland101.exe is not responding. I've tried updating colour settings and resolution but to no avail, now the game launches a black screen in windowed mode after a while but this too crashes.
  • GoTGoT
    edited July 2009
    1990jordan wrote: »
    First time I've downloaded a telltale game so I've nothing to compare it to but I'm having similar problems.

I get the launch screen then when I click 'launch game' nothing happens. A couple of minutes later I get a message telling me that monkeyisland101.exe is not responding. I've tried updating colour settings and resolution but to no avail, now the game launches a black screen in windowed mode after a while but this too crashes.

did you try utilising the file they offered earlier in this thread? (click page 1 and scroll down you'll see it) because that worked for me ... HOWEVER... im still yet to work out how to get it out of tiny window mode where im stuck viewing in the centre 2/3rds of my monitor.
  • edited July 2009
    Yep, same problem. With the settings file it'll load up in a tiny window in the middle of my monitor, but it still crashes when it goes to full screen or I try to change the resolution. It also takes several minutes to load the window after clicking 'launch game' and then several more minutes for anything to actually appear in the window afterwards.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey
    I´ve have another problem with the game. After I launch in and the start page appear I can only see whats says to the right on the page. I cant use the mouse to point or click and the text to the left looks like green/orange squares only!:(

Any idea what the problem is? computer is run with 32-bits colour.
  • edited July 2009
    Report Date: 07/08/2009
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 13:18:47
    Driver Version: 7.14.10.1280
    Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium* , Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001)
    Default Language: Swedish
    DirectX* Version: 10.0
    Physical Memory: 2037 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 358 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 155 MB
    Processor: x86 family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
    Processor Speed: 1995 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 2A02
    Device Revision: 03
This discussion has been closed.