Tales of Monkey Island - won't start up!

Comments

• edited December 2009
    no messages at all

i'll go against my will of not getting pass 1 & install no. 2 & see what happens, & also try turning off the internet.

is Ad-Aware, AVG or Windows Defender going to stop this at all?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Cal D.C wrote: »
    is Ad-Aware, AVG or Windows Defender going to stop this at all?

Testing the game during the clean boot made sure that none of those programs are the cause of the problem.
  • edited December 2009
    well i'll be damned, the 2nd works perfectly
    Quality 9
    full screen
    1024x768

everything i know & love, just a tiny bit jumpy thats it.

So the problem might be the 1st game its self?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    So the problem might be the 1st game its self?

Maybe your download was corrupt. Let's check your installers for errors.

MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then unzip and copy the attached MD5 File into the folder that contains the installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.
  • edited December 2009
    Well i got a green light for the first 1 but i think i'll download & reinstall a new 1 just for the hell of it.

maybe should've done this first..
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Well i got a green light for the first 1 but i think i'll download & reinstall a new 1 just for the hell of it.

Then your installer is okay. While uninstalling make sure that the configuration gets deleted as well.

You might also try replacing your prefs.prop,
  • edited December 2009
    Well anyway a 1000 & 1 thank you's for this, i'm sure i've used up a lot of your time, if this works i hope you get a raise :D

Enjoy the rest of your day.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    You're welcome. Let's hope it works :)
  • edited December 2009
    haha... put it this way, if it doesn't i'll be back :cool:
  • edited December 2009
    Haha! no. 1 is now working, must have been something wrong when i installed it, kinda foolish i didn't try that first... but anyway you've pointed me into the right direction thanks again.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Haha! no. 1 is now working, must have been something wrong when i installed it, kinda foolish i didn't try that first... but anyway you've pointed me into the right direction thanks again.

Glad to hear that :)
  • edited December 2009
    After downloading the game I have been unable to start it. Get error message "Telltale games has experienced a problem and has to close" Changed to 32 bit, Updated the graphics driver, resolution 1024x768 Reinstalled, redownloaded, updaded the direct x loaded the prefs.prop as directed. Any help would be appreciated.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    fdotson wrote: »
    After downloading the game I have been unable to start it. Get error message "Telltale games has experienced a problem and has to close" Changed to 32 bit, Updated the graphics driver, resolution 1024x768 Reinstalled, redownloaded, updaded the direct x loaded the prefs.prop as directed. Any help would be appreciated.

Try the clean boot, if that doesn't help please attach a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited December 2009
    for vista peeps who can't start the game and don't use their PC as a tablet computer do the following

control panel > programs > turn windows features on and off > optional tablet pc components

remove that feature if it's checked. it takes a while for windows to remove it, it's not hung.

reboot and it should fix everything. Atleast it fixed the problem for me across all telltale games :D YMMV
  • edited March 2010
    Hi! Im having a problem similar to the one posted by FuRen, in the first and second pages.
    After playing the game for some minutes (not many) it starts to freeze.

I´ve tried the clean boot, but the problem persists.

Now, im sending the dxdiag, in some parts due the size limit.

thanks
  • edited March 2010
    here goes part2
  • edited March 2010
    and finally the third part from the trilogy
  • edited March 2010
    Same here - Quit Unexpectedly.

I'm on a Hackintosh, but absolutely everything else has ran in the last year or so.

Model: G31M-ES2L, BootROM MP31.006C.B05, 4 processors, 2.13 GHz, 4 GB
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS [G92], Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS [G92], spdisplays_pcie_device, 512 MB
    Memory Module: global_name
    Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
    Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HDS721616PLA380, 149.05 GB
    Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HDS721616PLA380, 149.05 GB
    Parallel ATA Device: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
    USB Device: hub_device, (null) mA
    USB Device: Zboard USB Gaming Device, (null) mA
    USB Device: hub_device, (null) mA
    USB Device: iPhone, (null) mA
    USB Device: Dynastream ANT2USB, (null) mA
    USB Device: USB Gaming Mouse, (null) mA
    USB Device: Hub in Apple Extended USB Keyboard, (null) mA
    USB Device: Apple Extended USB Keyboard, (null) mA
    USB Device: Logitech USB Headset, (null) mA
  • SJPSJP
    edited March 2010
    I'm having the issue where, when I start by clicking on New Game, it freezes. It shows the little 'loading' icon and then stops. It's not technically freezing the computer, since after I downloaded the prefs.prop I was able to close the program from windowed mode, whereas when it was fullscreen I couldn't minimize and had to physically reboot my machine. So, essentially, while the prefs file allows me to close the program, it doesn't fix the problem.

I also did a quick test to determine if it is a multi-core processor issue (I've had some unfortunate problems with video editing software shutting down my PC when I have multiple cores rendering), and it isn't.

But here's the funny thing...this only happens on a New Game. The Treasure Hunt bonus feature works fine...full sound, full graphics, full resolution. It's only the main game that doesn't work. I would think if it was a DirectX issue, it would affect video and sound across the board and not just the New Game selectively, correct?

I've installed the game twice, but have not yet tried running it from an "MSConfig" boot, nor re-downloading the file to see if it was corrupted, but I did want to throw this out there to see if any of these can help narrow down the problem.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    I suppose that could be happening if the game is trying to write a prefs.prop file but doesn't have the necessary rights. Are you playing as admin? Do you have the game installed into a non-standard location or do you have any sort of weird program rights setup? What about heavy duty virus scanners?
  • SJPSJP
    edited March 2010
    I'm the only ID on the computer, with full admin rights. I probably should have mentioned I'm using XP, 32-bit, as well...no Vista issues for me.

The only non-standard installation procedure I have is installing to my larger F drive as opposed to C (which I have set aside only for important system stuff, like Windows), which hasn't affected any other programs (including Strong Bad, which runs perfectly fine, and beautifully at full 1080p resolution). And the prefs file is working in the sense that it is changing the settings; it's clearly running the game in a windowed box at 1024x768. But the Treasure Hunt segment works no matter which prefs settings I use; it's only the main game that's affected and won't run.

I'm also using Avira Virus Scanner. It only runs occasionally, and the only interference I've noticed is its insistence that I would love the Super-Deluxe Premium Edition.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    SJP wrote: »
    I've installed the game twice, but have not yet tried running it from an "MSConfig" boot, nor re-downloading the file to see if it was corrupted, but I did want to throw this out there to see if any of these can help narrow down the problem.

It's definitely worth trying both. Make sure you clear your browser cache before you redownload.

Fresh Download
    Uninstall the game and choose not to delete your save games.
    Then make a clean download as described below, and install it.

Deleting the browser cache:
    Before downloading the game again you should delete your browsers cache/temporary internet files so that it is not loaded from there:

Internet Explorer 7: In the menu choose "Extras/Delete Browsing History...". In the resulting Window select "Delete files..." for "Temporary Internet Files".

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer 8 you can delete the cache/temporary internet files with CTRL-Shift-Del.

In Firefox you would only select "Cache".

In Internet Explorer only select "Temporary Internet Files".
    Uncheck all other boxes in each case.

After installation check if the error still occurs.
  • SJPSJP
    edited March 2010
    It's fixed. Not sure whether it was the download or the install from a clean boot of Windows, but it's working fine both in the clean boot and...well, I guess "filthy boot" doesn't sound right, but it's accurate, let me tell you. :D Full 1080 resolution, too. No crashes or anything as far as I can tell.
  • edited March 2010
    For some reason, on Episodes 2-5, every time I bring up the launcher to start the game, it'll give me an invalid argument error at

file:///C:/Users/Cizal/AppData/Local/Temp/64032CDA5C4040F4BDFE8FB89D04E6C9/launcher/include/lib.js

and asks me whether I want to continue running scripts or not, but neither yes nor no actually do anything when I click them.

I'm able to click on the part that takes you to the Telltale website on the left, and I can click on the Telltale Log In/Serial Number Unlock/etc buttons, but those do nothing, and above it is clear unclickable grey.

I'm on 32 bit Vista if that's an issue.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Cizal wrote: »
    For some reason, on Episodes 2-5, every time I bring up the launcher to start the game, it'll give me an invalid argument error at

file:///C:/Users/Cizal/AppData/Local/Temp/64032CDA5C4040F4BDFE8FB89D04E6C9/launcher/include/lib.js

Make sure that you have the latest Internet Explorer version installed.
    You could also try the solutions from this thread.
  • edited March 2010
    Jessica wrote: »
    Hey
    I´ve have another problem with the game. After I launch in and the start page appear I can only see whats says to the right on the page. I cant use the mouse to point or click and the text to the left looks like green/orange squares only!:(

Any idea what the problem is? computer is run with 32-bits colour.

Got the exact same problem. Did Jessica get an answer somewhere?

If I cant find my way around the thread and all the pages with the lot of technical information, how will I ever find my way through ToMI? :rolleyes:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    tvesok wrote: »
    Got the exact same problem.
    I've seen that with integrated Intel Graphic chips, which are not really supported. Sometimes it helped to update the drivers.

You can attach a dxdiag log so i can take a look.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited March 2010
    ThankU for looking at it :)

Is this the driver-download, I would need? http://bit.ly/bByQwr (links to specific driver download page in intel.com's download center)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    tvesok wrote: »
    ThankU for looking at it :)

Is this the driver-download, I would need? http://bit.ly/bByQwr (links to specific driver download page in intel.com's download center)

Yes. If your Vista is a 64 bit Version i would try installing that driver.
    You can also update your Audio Drivers by the way.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi everyone. I'm having a similar yet different problem with Monkey Island 101. When I try to change screen resolution and detail level (due to limitations of my rig I'm shooting for 640x480 detail level 1), the game allows the res to change, but the instant I hit the "back" button, my machine reboots. I just dl'd the latest drivers for my vid and sound cards. Can someone offer some advice? I first bought the season when it first came out, and the fist ep. worked fine after I changed the resolutions. I don't know what the difference is now with this new install.
    Thanks for any help you can provide,

-Jeff
  • edited March 2010
    It may be because I'm trying to run it on something as low spec as a Samsung N110 netbook (Specs: 1GB RAM, Intel 945GSE 128mb shared graphics, 1.6ghz Intel Atom. The Windows system rating thing though says that I should be able to run this) but I can't get it to run either. However I am not getting any error messages.

I double click the icon (doesn't seem to matter whether it's the shortcut in the startbar or the one in the folder, or the game directly)
    The launcher box appears with launch game (fine)

Then I start getting problems.

Once I have clicked 'launch game' I get the spinning Windows 7 (Windows 7 starter edition if that makes any difference) cursor for a bit and then nothing. When I launch a Task Manager it has a process running in the processes. So why isn't it actually displaying anything? :confused: (If I'd got an error I would actually have known what to do / have been able to work out for myself whether it's the system causing the problem, but instead I'm left with something that appears to be working but not displaying... )

If it's just a case of: Your system isn't good enough, that's fine. This is my secondary computer and my Macbook Pro runs it fine. I just wanted to have the ability to play it upstairs if I so wished. LOL.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    cmc42 wrote: »
    Once I have clicked 'launch game' I get the spinning Windows 7 (Windows 7 starter edition if that makes any difference) cursor for a bit and then nothing.

I've read of cases where it takes really long for the game to start on a netbook. Try giving it up to 20 minutes and see if it starts or an error message occurs.

Running ToMI on a netbook is slow as hell.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    JeffOrt wrote: »
    When I try to change screen resolution and detail level (due to limitations of my rig I'm shooting for 640x480 detail level 1), the game allows the res to change, but the instant I hit the "back" button, my machine reboots.

Disable automatic restart on errors. Maybe next time it will show you a Bluescreen instead. Make a photo or write down the information and post it in a reply.

Also run the DirectX updater and redownload and reinstall the episode after clearing your browser cache.

Fresh Download

Before downloading the game again you should delete your browsers cache/temporary internet files so that it is not loaded from there:

Internet Explorer 7: In the menu choose "Extras/Delete Browsing History...". In the resulting Window select "Delete files..." for "Temporary Internet Files".

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer 8 you can delete the cache/temporary internet files with CTRL-Shift-Del.

• edited March 2010
    Hi everybody,

I've been having the "crash at skull and crossbones" problem too and have been following this thread for a few days. Just to confirm, my problem is:
    1. I click the blue 'Launch game' button
    2. I go through the 'Avast' welcome screen, LucasArts legal text etc.
    3. I click 'new game', then 'yes'
    4. I see the skull & crossbones 'wait' icon
    5. I hear my PC fan stop, everything turns off and then my computer reboots

So far I have tried all the suggested options and contacted the support email but nothing has worked and I seem to have stopped getting replies from tech support.

My spec/op system:
    - Windows XP Service Pack 3
    - Processor: AMD Athlon 1.16 GHz
    - 1.25 GB RAM
    - Hard drive: XLstor 40GB
    - Graphics: NVidia GeForce4 MX440
    - Sound: M-Audio Delta AP

What I have tried so far:

1. Checked dxdiag and this was OK'd by tech support.
    2. Installed the latest drivers I could find for my graphics card from here: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_93.71_uk.html
    3. I restarted my PC, to find I was only able to select 800x600 resolution display and 4-bit colour quality.
    4. I tried to install the latest version of DirectX from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3, but because I already had the latest version, it would not allow me to.
    5. I then used the CD which came with my Nvidia graphics card to try to restore the graphics options back to normal (Gainward 3D Graphics Accellorator version 4.0, 2002).
    6. In the middle of the installation I got an error message reading: "Message to DEVS: Shell: Calling get root key before nview.dll is loaded."
    7. I then clicked 'OK' and then the installation seemed to continue and I was told it had been successful.
    8. I restarted my PC again and the graphics options all seemed to be back to normal so I selected 1024x768 resolution and 32-bit colour quality.
    9. Then I tried to load Tales of Monkey Island again, but the original problem came up i.e. my PC crashed and restarted.
    10. Upon restarting, I got a windows 'serious error' message (the type where windows asks you to send/not send an error report to Microsoft. When I clicked on the details, the following was displayed: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER596a.dir00\Mini031710-01.dmp.......and..........C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER596a.dir00\sysdata.xml
    11. Re-downloaded the ToMI installation file (with antivirus and firewall turned off), cleared the browser cache, then re-installed ToMI.....no joy.
    12. Disabled automatic restart on errors, then tried to load ToMI again. The following message was displayed on the blue screen:

"Problem detected....etc...etc...

Technical info:
    ***STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005,0XBF05DFEA,0XB498B72C,0X00000000)
    ***nv4_disp.dll-Address BF05DFEA base at BF012000, Date Stamp, 3ceea0a3

Beginning dump of physical memory.......PM dump complete......"

I hope this all helps

Thanks

Andy
  • edited March 2010
    I'll just add that it's "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" which this problem is occurring on. I haven't downloaded any of the other chapters yet.

Also.....I've used the prefs file given on the first page of this forum......sorry I forgot to mention because I've done so many bloody things to try to get this game to work :)

Also, at no point have I been asked to input the serial number....would this occur after where my PC is currently crashing?

Cheers

Andy
  • edited March 2010
    OK, just to let you know I have now managed to load the game!!!!

I finally managed to install the driver updates by following these steps:
    1. Restarted PC
    2. Pressed F8 during startup
    3. Selected safe mode
    4. Logged in as administrator
    5. Went to System Properties (right-clicked on 'My Computer') > 'Hardware' Tab > Device Manager > Expanded 'Display Adapters' > Right-clicked on Nvidia card and selected 'uninstall'
    6. Restarted
    7. Re-installed latest drivers
    8. Restarted
    9. Loaded ToMI.....and it worked...

The only problem now is that the gameplay seems incredibly jerky considering I have played games like Halflife 2 which seem to have much more advanced visuals.

Any ideas????

Thanks for helping me and others!!

Andy
  • edited March 2010
    Hi,

I tried everything you suggested. As soon as I hit the back button again after trying to change the resolution and detail, it went to a black screen, and it kept sounding like the sound was skipping. I had to power down and reboot. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for all of your help so far,

-Jeff

DjNDB wrote: »
    Disable automatic restart on errors. Maybe next time it will show you a Bluescreen instead. Make a photo or write down the information and post it in a reply.

Also run the DirectX updater and redownload and reinstall the episode after clearing your browser cache.

Fresh Download

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    JeffOrt wrote: »
    I tried everything you suggested. As soon as I hit the back button again after trying to change the resolution and detail, it went to a black screen, and it kept sounding like the sound was skipping. I had to power down and reboot. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for all of your help so far,

Let's try to narrow it down. Does it still happen when you disable your sound card in the device manager before starting the game?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    adcashmo wrote: »
    OK, just to let you know I have now managed to load the game!!!!

[...]

The only problem now is that the gameplay seems incredibly jerky considering I have played games like Halflife 2 which seem to have much more advanced visuals.

Awesome you got it to work at least. Actually I am a bit surprised. Your GeForce4 MX440 is rather old and only supports DirectX 7.0. The game requires a DirectX 8.1 compliant card. Usually people experience missing graphics (black objects) in that case.

About Performance: Since your card is quite slow try setting the Quality level to 1 and if necessary reducing the resolution.

A better option is probably a new graphics card. Even the cheaper ones will probably run the game a lot better.

changing the graphics quality
    Start the game.

Select "Settings". Click the red arrows until you see "graphics settings".
    Set "quality" to 1 and test the game. If you want increase it as long as it runs well.
  • edited March 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Awesome you got it to work at least. Actually I am a bit surprised. Your GeForce4 MX440 is rather old and only supports DirectX 7.0. The game requires a DirectX 8.1 compliant card. Usually people experience missing graphics (black objects) in that case.

About Performance: Since your card is quite slow try setting the Quality level to 1 and if necessary reducing the resolution.

A better option is probably a new graphics card. Even the cheaper ones will probably run the game a lot better.

changing the graphics quality
    Start the game.

Select "Settings". Click the red arrows until you see "graphics settings".
    Set "quality" to 1 and test the game. If you want increase it as long as it runs well.

I don't see the full menu for some reason. I think you may be right, I need a better graphics card. I haven't upgraded since 2002! Any recommendations?

See attached picture of my settings menu.
This discussion has been closed.