Tales of Monkey Island - won't start up!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I'm getting exactly the same problem, where it stops responding after launch, the glimse of the spinning skull is just cruel!

Have tried the zip file, nothing changed.
    My colour was already set as 32bit.
    Resolution changes made no difference.
    I have the latest DirectX.

So depressing.

Edit: After reinstalling once more with addition of zip file, I actually got into the game, but it was painfully slow, and crashed about 30 seconds into actual gameplay.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Ok, testing this theory that it might be a screen resolution problem, I've attached a prefs.prop file. Just drop this in to to \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal then try to start up the game. This should have all of the settings turned way down and defaulted to windowed mode.

That worked for me. Although I had to reinstall on Vista as Administrator. Running now smoothly on highest settings.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Moonlight and Magoo, I'm gonna break you out into a different thread since you guys have a different problem. Everyone else who is having crashing trouble, could you post the following information:

Go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Then go to the Display tab
    While here, the useful things for us:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:
    Also, what is your operating system?
  • edited July 2009
    Hi,

I am running the game on a Macbook Pro running XP SP3 via Parallels Desktop.
    Here are my dxdiag results:
    Display Devices
    Card name: Parallels Video Adapter
    Manufacturer: Parallels
    Chip type: Virtual Adapter
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Default Monitor
    Monitor Max Res:
    Driver Name: prl_vadd.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3844 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Beta Debug
    Driver Date/Size: 5/5/2009 14:40:56, 83784 bytes

Thanks for your help,

VV

Additionally: I wanted to run it on my Dell laptop after the Macbook didn't work, now I can't register using my telltale account and password. Is this a copy protectio issue? It says error code "connection_error" when trying to register.
  • edited July 2009
    when i start launcher it tries to log in to my account, (unlocking please wait) but then it just disappears.
  • edited July 2009
    Name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    Current Display Mode: 1024 X 768 (16bit) (60HZ)
    Main Driver: igdumd32.dll
    Version: 7.14.0010.1409 (Eng)
    Date: 02.01.2008

Having the same skull and crossbones error.
    edited July 2009
    Hey Daniel, unfortunately we don't support those intel display cards. They really aren't designed for gaming at all I'm afraid. You can try updating your drivers but I can't promise it will work. If you can't, please write in to support@telltalegames.com and we can offer you a refund.

Kamistar, could you try hitting "take me to the demo" instead and seeing if you can unlock the game using your serial number?

VV, we don't support any sort of parallels I'm afraid. For the laptop issue, try generating a manual unlock request code and sending it in to support@telltalegames.com. From that we can unlock the game for you the old fashioned way.
  • edited July 2009
    I have tried with my key and etc (install and uninstall) now even launcher wont start
  • edited July 2009
    Same error for me in that nothing happens after clicking play game until about 5 mins later, I have tried the prefs file and it runs a window, but this is just blank. Is this a video card issue? :confused:

My dxdiag results:

Name: Intel (R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
    Chip Type: Intel GMA 3100
    Total Memory: 384 MB
    Current display Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: igxprd32.dll
  • edited July 2009
    I`ve been having problems playing the game (Vista 32bit). It would crash as i launched it, but i uninstalled and reinstalled as administrator, now it works.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having a different startup issue than I've seen here. My OS is Windows 7 build 7100, 32-bit version. ToMI runs from the installer and from the shortcut in the game's directory but not from the shortcuts in the startmenu or Games folder. When I try running ToMI from the start menu I get two error messages (Capture 1.jpg and Capture 2.jpg). For reference the screenshots of the two shortcut Properties dialogs are: from ToMI's directory (Capture 3.jpg) and from Windows 7's Game folder (Capture 4.jpg)
  • edited July 2009
    Everyone else who is having crashing trouble, could you post the following information:

Card Name: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
    Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32-bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Version: 8.14.0010.0662 (English)
    Date: 4/28/2009 21:52:02

OS is Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2. Running as an administrator.

If it helps, Will, the game ran fine the first two times I launched it. It was the third try, this evening (EST), when I ran into the CTD/"MonkeyIsland101 is not responding" issue. I did not change any graphics setting between the second and third launch. What I did have happen on the second launch was a bizarre glitch with the voodoo effects on
    Guybrush's hand
    --rather than being "misty," one of the particles was just a transparent square.

I deleted the prefs.prop file, and that fixed both that graphics glitch and the CTD. I've reset my graphics settings back to what they were and tried quitting/restarting the game; no crash. Let's hope it stays that way.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm not seeing a launcher or skull&crossbones when I try to start the app. Have tried the prop file attached to this thread and running the installer as administrator. I appreciate the help.

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Current Display Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: nvd3dumx.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2
    Version: 8.15.11.8618
    Date: 6/10/2009 6:03:00AM
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7100)
  • edited July 2009
    Ok.... I know it's the launcher now thats messing me up. I have gametap (they won't let me quit) so I tried downloading thew episode of sam and max I had purchased before becoming a subscriber of that service. It didn't work, same error. I click launch game and the launcher closes but the ghame does not start.

Redownloaded the gametap version that runs fine, because it skips the launcher. Please tell me there is a way to get the game to either skip the launcher, or maybe some more pointed troubleshooting I can do to get the launcher to work as intended.

Here is what I have done so far.

Reinstalled video drivers.
    Redownloaded Direct x from microsoftrs website.
    Checked tha vaio website for updates
    reset internet explorer to factory default settings,
    Verified I have the latest version of internet explorer
    Tried setting up a separate account on computer logging in on that and running it.
    uninstalled redownloaded and reinstalled game game.
    ran my spyware blocker.
    checked my registry for errors
    Reset my secondary language on my computer back to english.
    rebooted with none of my startup programs running (like that setting, think i'll keep it)

Nothing has worked.
  • GoTGoT
    edited July 2009
    Mines now running OUT of windows mode. Seemed there was an issue with my desktop switching back to 16bit, which the game wont run in, in full screen. Just incase anyone is wondering....
  • edited July 2009
    Hello All

Im having issues running the Screaming Narwhal.
    When I go to run the shortcut form my dektop i get this error:-

Application popup: MonkeyIsland101.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x77990ebf.

Click on OK to terminate the program

my os is vitsa 64 sp2 4GB RAM ATI4870x2 3.0 Quad core.

dxdiag:-
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 4094MB RAM
    Page File: 1556MB used, 6509MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

Current Mode: 2560 x 1600 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver Version: 8.14.0010.0671 (English)
    DDI Version: 10.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Any ideas would be greatfull.

Thank you
  • edited July 2009
    Having a similar problem (game just crashes before I get into the main menu).
    Error message says: "Telltale Games encountered a problem and had to be closed." And then it asks me if I want to send a report to Microsoft.

Dxdiag:
    Name: NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT (256MB)
    Current display mode: 1280 x 800 (32bit) (60Hz)
    Main driver: nv4_disp.dll
    Version: 6.14.0011.8585
    Date: 30.04.2009

My operating system:
    Intel Core 2 Duo @2.2GHz
    4094 MB RAM
    Windows XP SP3
    Direct X 9.0c

I tried everything in this post.
    prefs.prop didn't work
    changing my resolution didn't work
    (colors are on 32 bit)

It always just crashes randomly at some point before the main menu. One time I made it into main menu, but it crashed just a few seconds afterwards.

Begging for help :confused:
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks Guys,changed the screen quality to 32 bit from 16 bit and hey presto 1 happy teddy,the game doesnt crash on load up now
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    GuyMan69 wrote: »
    I'm having a different startup issue than I've seen here. My OS is Windows 7 build 7100, 32-bit version.

Can you look into the properties of these shortcuts (Right-click -> Properties) and make sure the "Start in:" field is this:

"C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Tales of Monkey Island\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal"

That's assuming you placed the game in the default location. Otherwise, make sure this is the directory the MonkeyIsland101.exe is in.
  • n0isen0ise Banned
    edited July 2009
    i run parallels on a macbook pro with 8600M gt 256MB, 32bit, i tried also with the pref attached here but the game crash after i hit LAUNCH GAME.. im so sad i want guybrush, i installed parallels just for him (but i dont want bootcamp :P)
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    n0ise wrote: »
    i run parallels on a macbook pro with 8600M gt 256MB, 32bit, i tried also with the pref attached here but the game crash after i hit LAUNCH GAME.. im so sad i want guybrush, i installed parallels just for him (but i dont want bootcamp :P)

I'm really not familiar with Parallels here so I can't really direct you to specifics. All I can think of is make sure you turn on settings that allow advanced graphics support. Also, make sure your Parallels visualization can connect to the internet and was able to update DirectX.

Yes, even on Windows 7, the latest DirectX isn't installed.
  • n0isen0ise Banned
    edited July 2009
    thx for the answer, i have already downloaded the directX.
    i have to stole my sister's laptop to meet guybrush again :)
  • edited July 2009
    did my post help any?
  • edited July 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    Can you look into the properties of these shortcuts (Right-click -> Properties) and make sure the "Start in:" field is this:

"C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Tales of Monkey Island\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal"

The "Start in:" field is blank in the shortcut in the games folder on the Start Menu. When I click the "Open File Location" button the "Windows 7 Games folder" opens and highlights the ToMI icon, if I click it I get the dialogs I mentioned earlier. The shortcut in the ToMI folder has the appropriate information in the "Start in:" field.

I have admin privileges but I was unable to the change the "Start in:" field, even after granting full control of the shortcut/app to all users.
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    GuyMan69 wrote: »
    I have admin privileges but I was unable to the change the "Start in:" field, even after granting full control of the shortcut/app to all users.
    That's pretty weird. Try deleting the shortcut on the desktop, then making a new shortcut to the MonkeyIsland101.exe executable.
  • edited July 2009
    Seg wrote: »

That's assuming you placed the game in the default location. Otherwise, make sure this is the directory the MonkeyIsland101.exe is in.

Oddly, Windows 7 would not let me "delete" or edit the shortcut in the Games folder, however I can "hide" it. I copied over the shortcut from the ToMI folder and it does continue to start the game. So the only issue there is I lose the metadata (ESRB rating, Windows Experience Index) associated with ToMI.
  • edited July 2009
    Moonlight and Magoo, I'm gonna break you out into a different thread since you guys have a different problem. Everyone else who is having crashing trouble, could you post the following information:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Current Display Mode: 1440x900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
    Version: 6.14.0011.8618 (English)
    Date: 6/10/2009 06:03:00
    Windows XP Pro SP3

just to be clear, the game crashes about 5 seconds after launching it, and there is no sign that anything even starts. (click the executable, goes straight to the "has stopped responding" screen)

I've run the dxsetup that came with the game, tried the file on page 2, and updated my video drivers.
  • edited July 2009
    Hello,

my problem seems somewhat weird, because the game was running without any major problems (except some crashes and glitches) two days ago.
    After running my virus scanner yesterday and removing some cookies, I have not been able to launch the game anymore.
    Entering the launch screen, instead of the forum content displayed beneath the lauch button, I get the message:

'Unable to access community content
    We're having trouble connecting to our forum tracker. (This doesn't affect your game though. Go on and play!)'

But strangely, if I press the launch button, I get a black screen and my computer reboots ...

Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
    Current Display Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32bit) (72Hz)
    Version: 6.14.0010.4523
    Date: 28.07.2003
    Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, testing this theory that it might be a screen resolution problem, I've attached a prefs.prop file. Just drop this in to to \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal then try to start up the game. This should have all of the settings turned way down and defaulted to windowed mode.

Halleluja, it works! Thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    Hiya, I have a really weird problem. I start it up, get through the skull-and-crossbones pretty quickly, get past the "avast" screen, even up to the jungle bit, and then... it crashes. By crashes, I mean restarts my bloody computer. Even my Intel-based laptop gets further than that (but it runs it so slowly it's almost unplayable, which is why I'm using this computer).

Windows XP Home Edition
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Graphics:
    Name: ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series
    Current Display Mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.6833 (English)
    Date: 04/07/2008 04:23:46

Thanks for your support. :D
  • edited July 2009
    panfrie wrote: »
    Name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Current Display Mode: 1440x900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Version: 6.14.0011.8618 (English)
    Date: 6/10/2009 06:03:00
    Windows XP Pro SP3

just to be clear, the game crashes about 5 seconds after launching it, and there is no sign that anything even starts. (click the executable, goes straight to the "has stopped responding" screen)

I've run the dxsetup that came with the game, tried the file on page 2, and updated my video drivers.

so i just installed Windows 7 (dual boot) and it worked. how i'm having the same problem with wallace and gromit :/ (doesn't work in xp, does in 7)
  • edited July 2009
    Bump.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having this problem. Also I'm being told that the zip file earlier is corrupted.

edit: here are my details:
    Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    Main Driver: Nv4_disp.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.5673
    Date: 14/04/2008

on a windows xp
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Iryon wrote: »
    Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
    Current Display Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32bit) (72Hz)
    Version: 6.14.0010.4523
    Date: 28.07.2003
    Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3

I'm having this problem. Also I'm being told that the zip file earlier is corrupted.

edit: here are my details:
    Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    Main Driver: Nv4_disp.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.5673
    Date: 14/04/2008

on a windows xp

Have you tried this driver yet? It seems to be the newest version for both of your Graphics cards.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi, I get the same problem as some people posting earlier with the with the game not starting and simply having a process running. What I tried was to reinstall the game using dont check directX and then I get an error message instead telling me to reinstall the game, Im afraid I cant tell you the exact error as Im not on my computer atm but rather at a rather smoky internet cafe somewhere in argentina ;-).

Im running this on my macbook.

Windows XP
    2.2 GHz intel core 2 duo
    4 GB ram
    intel gmax 3100

Ive been able to run the sam and max games just fine :-)
    edited July 2009
    For everyone where the game is just crashing, try updating your graphics drivers first.
    Iryon wrote: »
    Hello,

my problem seems somewhat weird, because the game was running without any major problems (except some crashes and glitches) two days ago.
    After running my virus scanner yesterday and removing some cookies, I have not been able to launch the game anymore.

Not sure what might have happened there, but I'd suggest redownloading the game. It's possible the virus scanner corrupted some data on you.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Ok.... I know it's the launcher now thats messing me up. I have gametap (they won't let me quit) so I tried downloading thew episode of sam and max I had purchased before becoming a subscriber of that service. It didn't work, same error. I click launch game and the launcher closes but the ghame does not start.

Redownloaded the gametap version that runs fine, because it skips the launcher. Please tell me there is a way to get the game to either skip the launcher, or maybe some more pointed troubleshooting I can do to get the launcher to work as intended.

Here is what I have done so far.

Reinstalled video drivers.
    Redownloaded Direct x from microsoftrs website.
    Checked tha vaio website for updates
    reset internet explorer to factory default settings,
    Verified I have the latest version of internet explorer
    Tried setting up a separate account on computer logging in on that and running it.
    uninstalled redownloaded and reinstalled game game.
    ran my spyware blocker.
    checked my registry for errors
    Reset my secondary language on my computer back to english.
    rebooted with none of my startup programs running (like that setting, think i'll keep it)

Nothing has worked.

That's really a lot you've already tried.

Have you already posted your dxdiag output as described here?

All i found about your system so far is
    Pentium 4 3ghz
    gig and a half sdram
    Raedon x700 5something megs of ram on that
    XP home
    and the other information might help a bit to find a solution.

If that doesn't not help I would try a more radical but easier way instead of searching the needle in a haystack.

I would take another Hard disk, install a fresh system with all updates, recent drivers and so on, and look if it runs then.

When it does, there is something wrong with the other installation, which can either be tried to solve by e.g. comparing the two installations, or accepted as too much work to track down.

When it doesn't, than it might be hardware related which requires a different approach.
  • edited July 2009
    Sorry Was playing a different game

Name: RAEDON X700 Series
    Current Display Mode: 1024X768 (32 Bit) (75 Hz)
    Main Driver:ati2dvag.dll
    Version:6.14.0010.6925 (English)
    Date:4/28/2009 00:40:59
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Sorry Was playing a different game

Name: RAEDON X700 Series
    Current Display Mode: 1024X768 (32 Bit) (75 Hz)
    Main Driver:ati2dvag.dll
    Version:6.14.0010.6925 (English)
    Date:4/28/2009 00:40:59

Sadly i don't see anything wrong :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    FuRen wrote: »
    My problem is that the game seems to freeze after about 5 min of playing. It starts fine, looks fine, and plays well... but never fails to freeze up shortly after starting the game.

You should try checking your memory.
This discussion has been closed.