TMI - Nothing happening

edited March 2010 in Game Support
Launching the shortcut ends up creating a MonkeyIsland101.exe process.... which lives for about 10 seconds then vanishes. Nothing comes up on the screen at all. No errors, no page to register the game, no game, no black screen, nothing.

Im using a 4870 1GB with the latest drivers (Which I have reinstalled) and I have also tried re-installing the game twice (On different drives no less) to no avail.

So I tried downloading and running a random Strongbad demo and that seems to have issues as well. This time at least you get the register/demo page... but when clicking to go to the demo that vanishes and nothing happens.

Im using windows vista 32-bit.

Ill prat around so more when I get home, but any ideas would be useful.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Hi, I`m sad that my first post here is about not getting the game to start.

I downloaded the first episode and started the Launch setup. That part worked fine. In the last window I choose the start game button, but nothing happened. Also I choose to get a button at my desktop, nothing could be seen. I didn`t worry and tried to start the game right from the installed file, but it didn`t work. Therefore I uninstalled the game, but the folder is still there and so is the content.

Second try to install the game at a different place, this time I got the link at the desktop, however the game isn`t starting.

Tried changing the resolution, nothing happenend, and the setting is at 32 Bit.

I am using a Notebook 2,2 GHz AMD Turion, with 1280 x 800, Windows Vista, a NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GS, 2 GB Memory.

Any Suggestion?
  • edited July 2009
    Same here!
    Sam and Max doesn't work either.

System: Windows 7 RC1, Geforce 7800 GTX
  • edited July 2009
    Same here on a laptop with Vista Home Premium, 32Bit :(
  • edited July 2009
    I have the same problem as Moonlight, the program appears in task manager but nothing happens... the reason the game files remained after the uninstall was that the program file was still running and therefore using the files but you just can't see it on the desktop!

Running vista 32 Home Premium, resolution 1280x800x32 using GeForce 8400M G (laptop)
  • edited July 2009
    I`m glad someone is expiriencing the same problems than I, though I`m kind of relieved, that the problem isn`t sitting in front of the computer.

But I`m sad for you because you can`t play.
  • edited July 2009
    Same problem.. fully up to date with DirectX, nVidea drivers, even Java in case the launcher was using it. Process hangs around for about 10 seconds. Frustration!

Windows XP Pro 32-Bit, E6550 2.33ghz, 2gb RAM, Geforce 8500 x2.
  • edited July 2009
    Having the same problem. I just emailed their support regarding the problem. Awaiting for their reply.

Intel(R) Core 2 Duo
    E6750 @ 2.66GHZ, 2.67 GHZ

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Driver Version -> 6.14.11.8618

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Ok guys, couple things we can try:
    Update video card drivers and directx.

After that, let's try a clean boot. You know, just in case:

To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
    edited July 2009
    Ok guys, couple things we can try (and I know some of you have already tried some of these things):
    Update video card drivers and directx.

After that, let's try a clean boot. You know, just in case:

To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
    edited July 2009
    Oh, also try replacing your prefs.prop with this one. Drop it in \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks a lot Will for your suggestions!

At the moment, I`m downloading new video card drivers. About DirectX I`m a bit confused. Shouldn`t ToMI bring the needed DirectX update?

Only to make sure, because I`m not a tech-guru: booting clean Vista is to exclude problems with the generall settings of my system?
  • edited July 2009
    Ive tried all of those things along with anything else I can possibly think of that might even have a small chance of getting in the way (Getting rid of ATIs CCC, closing windows processes that arent relevant, trying with user account control on and off, using compatability modes, trying lower resolutions, turning off windows firewall, redownloading the installer. Ive even taken the time to uninstall a bunch of stuff I no longer use).

And none of that worked.
    edited July 2009
    It should (and does) but a lot of people choose not to update it. Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen a program that gets corrupted as easily as DirectX. It's never really a bad idea to try updating it.

As for the clean boot, this is just to get rid of any weird background programs that might be affecting your system. One other thing I suggested in another thread is to try unzipping the attached file into your \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.
  • edited July 2009
    Updated video card driver, DirectX and inserted prefs file. Still isn`t working for me.

Now I try clean boot. I appreciate your effort!
  • edited July 2009
    Same error

W7 RC (7100)
    E8400 @ 3GHz
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 512
    DX 11
  • edited July 2009
    I did all of that last night (except a clean boot) and so I will try that one when I get home from work tonight. Thanks' for the help Will...

Oh and just to test that it wasn't something wrong with my download I installed it on the work computer and could get into the demo (not allowed to play at work so no point signing into the full game)

--Edit, Ok I've tried the clean boot, and even thought to try runing as the admin... and nothing... I can't explain it
  • edited July 2009
    I have the same error; with TMI and Sam & Max (steam version of Sam & Max 104 also fails to load now (not sure -- it worked in September last year?)).

DXDIAG information below.
    [PHP]
    System Information
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 2447MB used, 13982MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Display Memory: 494 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1008 MB
    Shared Memory: 3582 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster 225MD/225MS/2280HD(Digital)
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver Version: 8.15.0011.8618 (English)

Sound Devices
    Description: Speakers (ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82B71043&REV_00
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: cmudaxp.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0008 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 8/22/2008 15:00:05, 1363968 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: ASUSTeK
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: Yes
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Speakers (ASUS Xonar D2X Converter)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playback: No
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82B71043&REV_00
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: cmudaxp.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0008 (English)
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 8/22/2008 15:00:05, 1363968 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: ASUSTeK
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
    [/PHP]

Display Device: NVidia GTX280.
    Sound Device: Xonar D2X.

EDIT:
    Have tried clean booting, replacing prefs (not that that should make a difference as the launcher doesn't open for TMI).

S&M opens the launcher in all instances, but the game flashes a white box on the screen then disappears with a maximum runtime of 2 seconds.

TMI appears for ~5-10 seconds in Task Manager and disappears, never displaying a launcher.

EDIT #2: To add to my frustration, my laptop (Vista x64 C2D 2.16GHz, 4GB RAM, 7400 Go!) can open Sam & Max _AND_ TMI, but doesn't have the grunt required to play them, whereas my desktop cannot.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is actually the soundcard or something equally weird.

EDIT #3: Okay, turning on GX mode lets Sam & Max "Launch" to two splash screens (Gametap and TTG, iirc -- rebooting atm!), before crashing. TMI still won't even show the launcher. Updating the drivers with another patch (aimed to fix WC3/WOW (I don't play either so I hadn't even thought of patching it)).

My issue may be a separate one from the others; looking at the fact that my ability to launch is hinged upon sound cards, I might try disabling all audio devices and shall update this post once I've tried it.

EDIT #4: No, it requires a soundcard to play. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Greetings.

I just downloaded the episode, installed it, tried to play, but the game won't start up. Not that there was an error code or something, the process "moneyisland101.exe" does start, but there is no window, no game, no launcher, simply nothing.

What I tried without fixing my problem:
    - game reinstalled
    - directx reinstalled
    - upgrade to latest graphics driver
    - changing my screen resolution
    - (right now) installing all the newest windows updates (including ie8)

my system config looks as follows:
    - Intel Core2Duo 2x 3,00 Ghz
    - 2 gig Corsair DDR2 RAM
    - GeForce 8800 GT @ 1680x1050
    - Windows XP SP3
    - dxdiag: "nothing unusual"

long story short: "can anyone help me?" :(

regards
    aSak
  • edited July 2009
    I'm currently having exactly the same problem. Anyone have any luck?
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, I finished updating Windows and .NET and IE8 but still - nothing. To be honest, I don't know anything more i can do to fix this problem. Additionally: Sam'n'Max S1 runs fine.
  • edited July 2009
    One thing I think worth noting & I'm curious if others have had a similar experience. I ran into this issue with W&G3 (process creates launcher folder & data in %temp%, task manager shows process getting up to 47-52 MB, then disappears). I had no issues when W&G2 came out, now the same mysterious behavior. That, unfortunately, indicates this was likely a windows update (or some other evil auto-updater: java/adobe,etc) that took place between the release dates of W&G 2 & 3. Ideas?

Side note: After all of the actions everyone has already mentioned taking, in addition to a few others (uninstalled other SecuRom game & killing all traces, java uninstall/reinstall, IE security set to lowest possible settings, running as hidden full Vista administrator account, even cleaning out all traces of jquery 1.2.6, as the launcher is using 1.2.1), I ended up just dual booting into XP to run the game. After the last two nights determined to get this working, I'm calling it quits & dual-booting to run Monkey as well.

Edit: Adding specs:
    Time of this report: 7/9/2009, 05:35:35
    Machine name: *****
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: EP45-UD3P
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 1735MB used, 14806MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0614&SUBSYS_11741462&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 4080 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
    Shared Memory: 3582 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver Version: 8.15.0011.8618 (English)
    DDI Version: 10
    Driver Date/Size: 6/10/2009 06:03:00, 9466880 bytes
  • edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
    Addendum of things that didn't solve the problem either:
    - BIOS updated (to latest version)
    - Mainboard drivers updated
    - turning on JavaScript / Active X and turning it off again
    - turning off/on Avast anti virus and firewall

Telltale! Do something! :(
  • edited July 2009
    As I can see, there are many other people around with the same problems. Frankly I have to say, that my imagination of "the day I get ToMI" is a bit different to what I (and many others) experience now.
  • edited July 2009
    I had an issue like this that was the result of a double install. Try uninstalling the game and then re-installing.
  • edited July 2009
    Yep, I've tried all these things (updating drivers, reinstalling, redownloading, clean boot) and no luck. Just downloaded my free episode of Wallace and Gromit (thanks!) and same deal: nothing visible occurs, but a process does start. Some people have been saying that the process disappears after a few seconds, but for me it stays there...

...forever!

Been trying to get this to work all day now, feeling really disappointed :(
  • edited July 2009
    You're not alone with your feelings. I was really looking forward for TMI's release. I even tried to disable every virtual cd drive, any emulation - still nothing, so it seems that it's not suckurom's fault.

But who knows, atm I don't know what else I could try.
  • edited July 2009
    Frogacuda wrote: »
    I had an issue like this that was the result of a double install. Try uninstalling the game and then re-installing.

Tried already without being successful. Even re-downloading before un- and reinstalling didn't change that.
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, I'm looking into possible solutions, but this is a really frustrating thing to track down. This might sound crazy, but have you tried running the game in safe mode?
  • edited July 2009
    Hey!

What do you mean with "safe mode"? If you mean "Windows Safe Mode", then yes, it was the last thing that I tried, but it didn't help. If you mean "the game" in safe mode, then enlighten me how to do this. It's quite hard to do anything without even a game window (or launcher or whatever) popping up. :)

But still, my mood is getting better because of you. "Finally someone who cares."

// if this helps: a list of programs running on my machine. Not that it made a difference if these are running or not, but maybe the problem's hidden somewhere there:
    - ASUS SixEngine (because of P5Q motherboard)
    - Fritz WLAN driver software
    - Logitech G15 drivers
    - Razer Copperhead driver software
    - Avast anti virus
    - Spybot S&D
    - Punkbuster services
    - Daemon Tools (which I deinstalled, rebooted - no effect - reinstalled DT again)

-
  • edited July 2009
    aSak wrote: »
    But still, my mood is getting better because of you. "Finally someone who cares."-

Ditto that.

Yeah I just had a go at putting Windows in Safe Mode, no luck.

I've just noticed that when the process appears it initially seems to be active, using a certain percentage of the CPU, but that quickly drops off to zero in a few seconds. No more CPU activity, but eventually a drop in the memory the process was using happens after a few hours.

Again don't know if this is useful but I don't really have anything else to add.
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I've been mostly dealing with this issue in another thread, but we are definitely looking into why this might be happening. What's really frustrating is that one or two people have gotten it to work by just formatting their hard drive and starting over, so it's not the hardware. But that isn't exactly an ideal solution to ask people to completely erase their computer.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah not sure I'd want to do that. I've been keeping myself here as the problems on the other threads seem to be slightly different to what I'm experiencing, but I am actively reading them and trying out any possible solutions.
  • edited July 2009
    That is right, formatting is actually not a solution. In fact, I'd be willing to re-setup my system completely, if I knew that everything'd be fine. As long as this is not confirmed, I'd prefer a simpler solution. ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been mostly dealing with this issue in another thread, but we are definitely looking into why this might be happening. What's really frustrating is that one or two people have gotten it to work by just formatting their hard drive and starting over, so it's not the hardware. But that isn't exactly an ideal solution to ask people to completely erase their computer.

Hey Will: Can we merge these threads? its difficult to keep track now...

My Problem is occuring on an ASUS laptop... but you've said hardware isn't the key...

I also have AVAST!... So I wonder if that does anything? or could this be a vista type bug... It's my wifes laptop... I can ask her if she would let me reformat it but it's a drastic solution to one problem... now if only this had been relesed on xbox I wouldn't be having these problems ;)
    edited July 2009
    I don't think anyone should go formatting their computers! That's generally a last ditch effort. As for the threads, I'll merge the two.
  • edited July 2009
    i'm having the same problem, running on parallels.

i tried to update the virtual machine, upgraded the amount of ram, but nothing happens.

my computer is a imac 24"

PD: Sorry for my poor english :D
  • edited July 2009
    I am also having the same problem. I have:

Windows XP Pro(fully updated)

4 Gig Memory

2.9 Ghz Processor

I forget how strong the video card is, but it's strong enough I'm positive.

I really want to play this game!
  • edited July 2009
    Good morning. ;) Threads merged? That's fine. I hope a solution is on its way. I really NEED to play the game this weekend. Because "I want to be a pirate".
  • edited July 2009
    If thats of any help I`m using a Acer Notebook. Until now nothing worked for me so far. I appreciate your aid very much Will and am hoping that there will be a resolution for our problem.
This discussion has been closed.