TMI - Nothing happening

1235»

Comments

• edited November 2009
    shouldn't it tell me that when I try to install? my first download failed so I used a download manager the second time, very unlikely it is a bad download....
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    Ideally it would, but episodes 1 and 2 didn't do any sort of hash checks upon download. We enabled that starting with ep3 due to an inordinately high number of corrupted downloads.
  • edited November 2009
    OK so I still cannot get this game to work... I have done a clean install re-downloaded still nothing. E-mailed support got nothing back. Just a whole bunch of nothing.

Very frustrated and very disappointed.
    edited November 2009
    Do you know what your support ticket number was? We've been having trouble with spam filters recently, I can check it out for you.
  • edited November 2009
    'issue-23696'
    edited November 2009
    ah, so you didn't even get the autoreply. That means something has failed miserably between you and us. Just PM me the message and I'll take care of it.
  • edited November 2009
    Same problem for me, with the demo. I think I've tried everything that was listed on this thread, but I still gets absolutely nothing (I can see MonkeyIsland101 process in the task manager, that disapears after 6s and 50Mo used memory, nothing else is visible on the screen, not even in the task bar).

When windows was started in safe mode, I got a black screen flash the first time I launched the game, but then it closed without any other display. I've got the same problem on another computer (a quite old laptop, I wasn't expecting the game to run fine on it, but still it is weird nothing gets displayed and the process exits without any error message...). I've downloaded the demo twice to be sure it wasn't corrupted.

My computer :
    Motherboard Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Intel core 2 duo E4400 2GHz
    ATI radeon X1950 pro (catalyst v8.593.100.0, date 29/09/2009)
    2Go RAM
    Windows XP SP3
    Internet explorer 8.0.6001
    Kaspersky Antivirus (I tried to disable it but it did not help)
    6Go disc space left on the partition where the game is installed
    I've got a RAID partition, but the game is not installed on it
    If I remember correctly I installed direct X SDK quite a long time ago, maybe with some debug libraries, but I did not ever get a problem to launch any other game. I've got visual 2008 express installed too.

I've spent a few hours trying to get it to work, but unless someone points me the problem out, I give up ; or I will spend more time trying to get the game running than to actually play it...
  • edited November 2009
    I've tried safe mode, compatibility mode, run as administrator, nothing. I have even upgraded to Windows 7!

Here are the details:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: MonkeyIsland102.exe
    Application Version: 2009.8.19.32126
    Application Timestamp: 00000000
    Fault Module Name: MonkeyIsland102.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2009.8.19.32126
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00a250b8
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 3081
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  • edited November 2009
    OK, good news, I found the problem. It seems the game uses lua, and I use lua too on both my computers (I thought about that when searching the common point between these computers). I just removed the environment variables LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH, and everything is fine now :-). I suppose these variables are not needed by the game, so maybe you (telltale developers) should consider removing them from the lua source code, which loads them by default.
    edited November 2009
    Hey Youen, I tossed this over to the programmers. Thanks!
  • edited December 2009
    Hello everyone :-)
    well, my problem is that episode 1 worked just fine but now i downloaded the second episode and installed it i cant get it working. the launcher pops up just normal, than i wanna start he game and a white window opens up, after some seconds i hear the normal sounds of the starting game but there is still nothing more than a white window :confused: :(
    please helpe me i wanna know whats happening now :-)
    edited December 2009
    Try hitting alt-enter when you hear the sounds.
  • edited December 2009
    wow thank you it worked :-D
  • edited December 2009
    for people having problems on vista with nothing poppping up or just a monkey101.exe error when you try to run the program. The following fix worked for me.

This fix is only useful for people who don't use their PC as a tablet pc.

control panel > programs > turn windows features on and off > tablet pc optional components

this takes a while. then reboot

and hopefully you are good to go. this fixed problems with every game in the telltale game universe. I bought the whole pack with the Steam discount and now all the games work great.

for people who do use their laptop as a tablet pc... try uninstalling and reinstalling it.. I dunno. but for the rest of us laptop/desktop users this fix works.

Enjoy
  • edited January 2010
    Youen wrote: »
    OK, good news, I found the problem. It seems the game uses lua, and I use lua too on both my computers (I thought about that when searching the common point between these computers). I just removed the environment variables LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH, and everything is fine now :-). I suppose these variables are not needed by the game, so maybe you (telltale developers) should consider removing them from the lua source code, which loads them by default.

Thanks alot :) , that fixed my issue.
  • edited January 2010
    nissen wrote: »
    Thanks alot :) , that fixed my issue.

I've removed my LUA_PATH (didn't have a CPATH defined) and I'm still unable to play any Telltale games.

Win 7 x64 Professional fresh install, GeForce 8800 GTS with latest drivers, two monitors, no antivirus (gasp!), no input devices outside mouse or keyboard, Lua for Windows IS installed (no environment variables), DXSDK and Visual Studio are NOT at the moment (it's a pretty fresh install)- if it would help, I could install them and try running with a debugger attached. Games purchased on Steam.

Observed results:
    Bone, W&G, SBCG4AP, TOMI, Sam & Max: Processes appear resident for ~3 seconds before exiting with an error code of 1. No outward signs of life. Compatibility modifications (tested on S&M101) made no difference.

Telltale Texas Hold 'Em: Silent black screen (with working Steam overlay). Successfully alt+enter to a silent black window.

Diagnostics:
    - Process Monitor shows a lot of this just before TOMIe1 closes:
    QueryDirectory C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\tales of monkey island - chapter 1\.lenc NO SUCH FILE Filter: .lenc
    - As well as this:
    RegQueryValue HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\{bc5d8785-c55b-4db0-a79f-e1b036924432}\Properties\{b3f8fa53-0004-438e-9003-51a46e139bfc},2 BUFFER OVERFLOW Length: 144
    In fact, it spent the better part of a second rooting around in this pattern. I have no idea why.

Also, it seems to be trying to load a texture for every possible combination of texture settings... I'm guessing that's by (bizarre) design.
  • edited February 2010
    Okay, same story, but on my tablet (an HP Touchsmart tx2z). I've updated every possible driver (including my Realtek audio driver, which was the problem on my desktop) and removed my Lua environment variables. No go. Situation is exactly the same (tested with SBCG4AP episodes 1 and 2 and Texas Hold 'Em). Note that it DOES get far enough to create a prefs.prop. edit: derp, let's get restarted

Maybe you guys should add some sort of error logging system? At all?
  • edited March 2010
    Had the same problem with my PC at work (all worked at home), nothing worked (tried ToMI, SBCG4AP, S&M). It was LUA_PATH for me too. Thanks Will & Youen.
  • edited March 2010
    Wow, it really was Lua.
    Uninstalled Lua-for-Windows and reinstalled the games and they work.
    But... I want to use Lua AND Telltale games ;_;
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Guinea wrote: »
    But... I want to use Lua AND Telltale games ;_;
    Have you tried just removing the LUA Environment variables?

If you need them for something else you could also try starting the episodes via batch files in which you unset the variables before you start the game.
  • edited March 2010
    I've got the same problem for myself, none of the launchers from Wallace and Gromit or Tales of Monkey Island are opening up. I can see them start up in the Task Manager, but then they disappear mysteriously. My other Telltale games seem to work fine however.

I've already tried updating my Direct X drivers, my video card settings are already up-to-date and I uninstalled Lua for Windows, but the launcher still doesnt appear. I really hope theres a fix, especially after seeing Sam and Max Season 3 in action, I really want to get back into Adventure games for my Spring Break...

Edit: I should mention that I'm running Windows Vista. Although I assume everyone else is running Windows 7.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I've already tried updating my Direct X drivers, my video card settings are already up-to-date and I uninstalled Lua for Windows, but the launcher still doesnt appear. I really hope theres a fix, especially after seeing Sam and Max Season 3 in action, I really want to get back into Adventure games for my Spring Break...

Do you have a graphics tablet?
    Does dxdiag show any errors in the input tab?
  • edited March 2010
    Nope, no graphics tablet, and no errors appear in DXdiag.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Nope, no graphics tablet, and no errors appear in DXdiag.

Maybe LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH are still set?
  • edited March 2010
    Where would I find those? I'm actually not very familiar with Lua.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Where would I find those? I'm actually not very familiar with Lua.

Look here.
  • edited March 2010
    Hm, from what I can see in the Environment Variables, they dont seem to appear at all.

But the good news is, they're starting to open up again. As far as I can tell, I'm not having that problem anymore.
This discussion has been closed.