TMI - Nothing happening

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Yes, this is weird, I got the same problem with DirectInput and I did indeed once install a graphics tablet. I do not own it anymore. But there seems to be some driver left. Uninstalling now. Will keep you informed. Could this really be...

OH MY GOODNESS! YOU MADE IT!

In spite of the last dxdiag reporting no problems, there actually was a problem checking the InputDevices. I uninstalled the drivers of the graphics tablet and there's a window! It says something like "If you already have a Telltale account..." - YES! FCUKIN YES! I never would have thought that THIS might be the problem...

Well, I dont know if the game will run without any futher problems, but this one seems solved, finally! So I say with my worst German-Australian accent: "Good job, mate!"

:)

Addendum: There seems to be a problem with non-standard input devices. Anyone encountering the same problems as we did, try the following:
    - Plugging in the additional input hardware (like joysticks, gamepads, graphics tablets etc) OR
    - Deinstalling and unplugging the additional devices

With only my keyboard and mouse installed, everything seems to work. :)
  • edited July 2009
    i didn't run processexplorer, just searched for problems in dxdiag, nothing found...must have a nice time with my grrlfriend now, DAMN IT!
  • edited July 2009
    zirkus wrote: »
    must have a nice time with my grrlfriend now, DAMN IT!
    I don't feel any sorry for you, because you can try the solution later. RL girlfriend > Guybrush. Most of the time. ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Sorry, I`m not such a techie and English isn`t my first language.

As far as I get it it`s something with a graphic tablet? I am using one too! And the solution is easy - just plugging in the tablet?
  • edited July 2009
    That is one possible solution, yes.
    The other is to unplug it and delete the driver and software of the tablet.

Seems like we do have something in common. :)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    aSak wrote: »
    That is one possible solution, yes.
    The other is to unplug it and delete the driver and software of the tablet.

Seems like we do have something in common. :)

If that works for others too, than you should write telltales support about your findings so they can look into it and fix it :-)
  • edited July 2009
    Telltale's support is actually reading here, too. Some of their developers may be thinking about the problem over this weekend and tomorrow they will be stunned by the solution. :)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Telltale's support is actually reading here, too. Some of their developers may be thinking about the problem over this weekend and tomorrow they will be stunned by the solution. :)

I know they do, but why let them stumble upon it by coincidence?
  • edited July 2009
    Because my written English is really bad. :P
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Because my written English is really bad. :P

Doesn't look bad to me, but then again, i am German too :D
    I think you already described it just fine and could send them this link to your post.
    But let's see how it works for Moonlight. If it works he is the third one with that problem and it is unlikely coincidence.
  • edited July 2009
    "So war mein Plan."

I really hope that this can solve the problem for all of us. It was about to get annoying. :D
  • edited July 2009
    Figure its about time for me to chime in.

I downloaded and installed the demo version on Friday night to give it a whirl before buying the game. Lo and behold it wont start. Ive been reading the discussion thus far and tried the various things out to no avail.

As for the current string, I have no non standard input devices. Ive got a mouse for my laptop, using the windows drivers and that's it. My DXDiag input window loads without issue.

Its not an absolute solution but the circumstances may yield information useful to the developers.
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe you should try updating the device drivers? I know that the Windows standard drivers should do their duty, but - I don't know?

Is your mouse always plugged in?
    What's with the touchpad?
    Ever installed a scanning device? Webcam?
    Anything that might be used by DirectInput, I guess.

I bet it's something like this.
  • edited July 2009
    Appreciate your input.

I did go ahead and try that afterward. Installed Logitech's setpoint, the touchpad utility software and even took a browse through my device manager looking for extraneous things.

This is this was a clean install of Win 7 RC and the only "device" installed is the mouse. Of course Ive picked up a lot of other programs and junk over the past months so thats not to say a reformat wouldn't help. On the very very far end of that train of though I could try uninstalling my printer and the mobile device drivers for my phone sync, but those aren't DX related and Id really rather not at this point.
  • edited July 2009
    FortuneGT wrote: »
    Appreciate your input.
    On the very very far end of that train of though I could try uninstalling my printer and the mobile device drivers for my phone sync, but those aren't DX related and Id really rather not at this point.
    I did not know that a graphics tablet is related to DirectX, so it might maybe worth a try. I'm sorry that this thread didn't help you yet, but the problem might be related to Windows 7. I mean, it's RC, right? Yes, i know that a lot of people are already using TomI with Win7, but "you know what I mean".

I'll let you know if I get another idea.
  • edited July 2009
    Yes! Looks like that's our common link, guys. I uninstalled my tablet and it worked straight away! Such a simple solution. Thanks so much for everyone's help :)

I'm off for my long-awaited reunion with Guybrush!
  • edited July 2009
    I'm glad to see that my solution helped a number of you. I wasn't able to play after I wrote that post, for 2 reasons... 1) I started it up and the graphics were choppy so I'll have to spend some time tweeking the settings, but more importantly 2) my wife complained that I was on her laptop right at that moment and had to get off... so no quench to my Monkey Island thirst :(
  • edited July 2009
    I did not know that a graphics tablet is related to DirectX, so it might maybe worth a try. I'm sorry that this thread didn't help you yet, but the problem might be related to Windows 7. I mean, it's RC, right? Yes, i know that a lot of people are already using TomI with Win7, but "you know what I mean".

I'll let you know if I get another idea.

DX deals with input devices for whatever reason. Mice, Keyboards and tablets are all input devices. Thats about the extent of my knowledge as far as DX goes.

Ill hang tight for a bit, I will most likely buy a new computer in the coming months when Win 7 goes retail. So far though I just like the RC to much to get rid of it, and the dual boot wasn't that great. Ill be a bit more concerned when all 5 Episodes are out because then I'll be really itching to play the whole tale. Other than that Ill leave it to telltale to work on.
  • edited July 2009
    I went into the folder with my prefs.prop and created a file called '.lenc' (Windows Explorer probably won't let you create this file, you'll have to use a cmd prompt)

This caused the game to open and show the telltale games/lucasarts screen, but then it goes black. Oh well. it opens. That's a start.

Edit: after reading a bit, it looks like .lenc files are some sort of encrypted lua file. I updated my lua files -- but I don't see lua as a dependency in Dependency Walker. The lua engine must be built in? IDK.
  • edited July 2009
    I have news! Its 95% Fixed. I have located the source of the problem.

Long story short I booted in safe mode, game starts up, after a lengthy scouting process I found the culprit.

I will make a nod towards the developers and let them know:
    The Process FSGK32.exe belonging to my F-Secure Technology Preview 2009 somehow prevents the launch. (Its a security suite thats W7 compatible)

I will look into sorting through this, though I do know that simply turning off the firewall and such has no effect.
  • edited July 2009
    I decided to drop that software and go back to my old one (now that its compatible), I will be enjoying the first episode during the coming week.

Thanks everybody
  • edited July 2009
    So, am I right that there is noone left in here who can't play ToMI at all? :)
  • edited July 2009

I can't even get the damn thing to launch... still. The only suspect processes that might be stopping it from working run on my laptop, and even dropping them does nothing.

Safe mode kills my sound so it throws that error... I'll give it a reboot to see if it boots in a short while...
  • edited July 2009
    I can play on my laptop, but that doesn't count. Uh.

I uninstalled my tablet driver. No go.
  • edited July 2009
    The game still crashes on startup. Still just getting the generic windows error msg :(
  • edited July 2009
    graham_tm wrote: »
    I can play on my laptop, but that doesn't count. Uh.

I uninstalled my tablet driver. No go.

Same deal. Laptop loads it, but is too slow to play it.

Desktop cannot play at all... still stuck without a launcher for ToMI, and without S&M starting.
  • edited July 2009
    as i written there is no visible problem in dxdiag (for me).
    still nothing except for a process if i start ToMI.
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Doesn't look bad to me, but then again, i am German too :D
    I think you already described it just fine and could send them this link to your post.
    But let's see how it works for Moonlight. If it works he is the third one with that problem and it is unlikely coincidence.

She :cool:

Sorry, I was working the whole weekend. Later today I give it a try, hopefully it works, `ll tell you.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Huzzah! Great to hear so many of you got it working! Let's see if we can fix it for the rest of you guys. So, working under the assumption that it IS in fact something DirectX related for everyone, would one of you be willing to try downloading the DirectX SDK? This is the developer's version of DirectX, so it will likely have a bunch of stuff you don't need. But since it's a full, different download, it should redownload all of the DX files, regardless of whether or not your computer thinks it needs to update them.
  • edited July 2009
    iam sorry, i can't - WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) doesn't like me!
  • edited July 2009
    Sadly the solution isn`t working for me. Connected the tablet, but all the same.

Tried to uninstall ToMI and give it another try, now I have two folders with all the content. Anybody here that has got all the files after uninstalling? First one remained from first try.

I would give it a try Will, but I`m not sure if I`m the right person. I`m a technic user, not more. When you think I could handle it, I`ll do it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Moonlight wrote: »
    Sadly the solution isn`t working for me. Connected the tablet, but all the same.

Have you also tried aSak's other solution, Deinstalling and unplugging the additional devices?

I also read about corrupted setup files in this forum. You might try downloading it again after deleting the browsers cache as described here.
  • edited July 2009
    btw. i don't have/had a tablet...just a wired mouse and a wired keyboard without drivers (respectively windows driver)
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Have you also tried aSak's other solution, Deinstalling and unplugging the additional devices?

I also read about corrupted setup files in this forum. You might try downloading it again after deleting the browsers cache as described here.

I read that, but I don`t think I use something like that. My computer is a notebook and I`m using the integrated touchpad, no additional mouse. There are a lot of devices installed here (like scanner, printer and so on) But I didn`t hear someone has problems with them.

I`ll try another download, thanks for that advice!
  • edited July 2009

Mines still dead. The only other input devices I have are 360 controllers, and neither plugging them in nor uninstalling the drivers made a difference.

At least the special edition of the original is out on wednesday. That'll give me my MI fix for now.
    Will wrote: »
    Huzzah! Great to hear so many of you got it working! Let's see if we can fix it for the rest of you guys. So, working under the assumption that it IS in fact something DirectX related for everyone, would one of you be willing to try downloading the DirectX SDK? This is the developer's version of DirectX, so it will likely have a bunch of stuff you don't need. But since it's a full, different download, it should redownload all of the DX files, regardless of whether or not your computer thinks it needs to update them.

Just tried it. Didn't seem to make a difference.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »

No change.
  • edited July 2009
    My suggestions for diagnosing the cause would be to run in safe mode and see if it starts first. My problem was not tablet/DX related and I got the launcher to finally appear in safe mode. Poking around I found one of my security software's applications was blocking it. Stopping that process/Removing the software fixed it all right up.

As for tablet/other hardware issues, you can use this to show hidden/inactive devices and remove them.
  • edited July 2009

I still have nothing happening at all. Monkey101.exe runs in the background, with no image or menu coming up.
  • edited July 2009
    I was desperate, so I slipstreamed SP3 onto an XP CD and ran sfc. It found nothing to repair. I'm out of ideas.
  • edited July 2009
    i have the sme problem i unistalled all nvidia driver and it dont work tried the lenc file dont work better if you can relase a patch or somthing the problem is at Wallace & Gromit 101,102,103 , Tales Of Monkey Island 101 and sam & max season 2.
    so it somthing on the games i once played sam and max 202 now it open a black screen and exits
This discussion has been closed.