The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• it never was confirmed that it was neither Ellie or Anna, her mother. but we can also make assumption that its anna, ellie's mother, because why would ellie wear a gas mask? the spores dont affect her, and as we seen in the trailer shes following Lee's advice (kappa), keeping that hair short.

for people talking about Ellie's sexuality, it never was really confirmed. neil in one like interview, he said that he never thought of ellie's sexuality, just that ellie loved that riley.

MosesARose posted: »

Also about that teaser pic in uncharted, a lot of people have speculated that the woman could have been Ellie's mom and the image teased a c

• thats also my worry, man. just hate seeing the innocence in my favorite characters go :,(. clem and ellie :,/..

I am a bit worried if the story becomes too cold and depressing. From what the developers said, the first game was about love, this new game is about hate.

• edited December 2016

Yes he did confirm it, it was in an interview with Gaygamer.net. I would pull it up and post the interview but that site has been moved to another web address and I can't get to the article. The best I have though is an old Gamefaq thread that quoted the interview and linked to the site. But as I said the link does not work anymore.

enter link description here

jamex1223 posted: »

it never was confirmed that it was neither Ellie or Anna, her mother. but we can also make assumption that its anna, ellie's mother, because

• Still kind of rude.

Gary-Oak posted: »

If it actually made me laugh, then I'll say that it made me laugh.

• When Neil brought up that some fans might be worried that this game won't be as good as the last, his response was "Trust us. Please, just trust us."

I am a bit worried if the story becomes too cold and depressing. From what the developers said, the first game was about love, this new game is about hate.

• I trust them to make the sequel feel like Uncharted 2 which is 100% better than the original.

• To be honest it wouldn't surprise me at all if in this game Joel will bring Ellie back from a dark place where as in the first game the overall theme was Ellie bringing Joel back from a dark place.

AronDracula posted: »

I trust them to make the sequel feel like Uncharted 2 which is 100% better than the original.

• I agree. As a whole I think Ellie is a lot better developed than Clementine is. Part of that probably just has to do with NaughtyDog having a lot bigger budget to work on games than TellTale does but I still think they do a better job showing the inner turmoil Ellie is going through than we see with Clementine.

RichWalk23 posted: »

Neither...because they have yet to kill a teenager. Jokes aside, I'd pick Ellie.

• By the way I do have to add. Anybody who is singing and playing a guitar over a dead body is more than just slightly charred.

sony12 posted: »

I agree. As a whole I think Ellie is a lot better developed than Clementine is. Part of that probably just has to do with NaughtyDog having

• Nope, Resident Evil HD came out this year too in January.

Them too and it's Resident Evil 0 HD*

• While I know Ellie is the main character, I still hope Joel gets a significant role too. The relationship between these two characters are the strongest driving point in the first game, I'd like them to continue that.

• No, it came out in January 2015. I watched CoryxKenshin and Swingpoynt playing it and the dates were 2015.

Nope, Resident Evil HD came out this year too in January.

• Oh, yeah I guess it did. Damn I thought it came out much more recently. God I'm sorry, my memory is shit.

No, it came out in January 2015. I watched CoryxKenshin and Swingpoynt playing it and the dates were 2015.

• I think by charred, they mean "a face that looks like they've been through Vietnam... five times"

By the way I do have to add. Anybody who is singing and playing a guitar over a dead body is more than just slightly charred.

• Who cares?

KNACK 2! HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

• Part of that probably just has to do with NaughtyDog having a lot bigger budget to work on games than TellTale does

Also, the fact that they have one chief writer spearheading the story. Who has multiple years to perfect everything.

Compared to Telltale, who run a bit like clockwork-- the studio's always in motion, someone's always working on something. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but when it comes to a story, the episodic model limits some of their potential, or at least you think it would. They don't have as lax of a schedule when it comes to developing a new series. I mean yeah, they get time to map out a series before it premieres, but even then, that only gets them so far. They work on episodes individually, as far as I can tell. They don't write out the entire story all at once, for better or worse. Couple that with having multiple writers and designers working on different episodes within the same series. The development models between the two companies have some stark differences. And there's no doubt those effect the quality of their games to some degree.

Look at it this way; Naughty Dog and the team had years upon years to write TLoU. Years upon years to refine the script, the acting, the character designs, the level designs, the aesthetic... everything, basically.

Telltale has a sizeable chunk of time to work on their games, but in some ways, the episodic model limits some of their potential, if you ask me. But they have an unwavering conviction to the episodic model, and I can't exactly fault them for that. I respect a person that will go down with the ship, come hell or high water. I'm that kind of person, myself.

I think it's a testament to Telltale itself that their stories come out as good as they do, given some of the limitations the episodic development model can (and probably do) cause.

I agree. As a whole I think Ellie is a lot better developed than Clementine is. Part of that probably just has to do with NaughtyDog having

• ohh ok, i never sad that before.

MosesARose posted: »

Yes he did confirm it, it was in an interview with Gaygamer.net. I would pull it up and post the interview but that site has been moved to a

• edited December 2016

Definitely true. According to Wikipedia Naughty Dog began work on the first Last of Us in 2009 and it wasn't released until 2013 so that was four whole years to work on one game. TellTale's Walking Dead series in general gets finished in half that time. First game in 2012, second game in 2014, and third game in 2016. If they choose to make another game in the series they will likely be able to have it finished up around the same time Last of Us is only finishing up their second game.

So even though the TWD games might not be as high quality as TLOU games we will still have gotten four of them compared to just two from Last of Us. Added to that is that the TellTale series is part of a much larger universe that many of us who play the game are already extremely attached to. While Last of Us is a completely brand new universe that really the only thing we know about so far is through the eyes of these two characters.

Maybe that is why TellTale often attaches itself to already existing franchises instead of creating original games because they know they don't have the time or resources to develop something of the same quality as NaughtyDog does. TellTale stories are considered more of an Expanded Universe than anything and the fact that their stories are connected to an already existing universe makes their games seem much richer than they would be otherwise,

Deltino posted: »

Part of that probably just has to do with NaughtyDog having a lot bigger budget to work on games than TellTale does Also, the fact t

• TWD Season 2 was out in 2013, actually. About one year and one month after Season 1 ended.

Definitely true. According to Wikipedia Naughty Dog began work on the first Last of Us in 2009 and it wasn't released until 2013 so that was

• I wonder what kind of character Nolan North will play in the sequel. I heard a long time ago that North plans to play a character in TLOU 2, we all know it's not gonna be David (The leader of the Cannibals) because we did see him get killed by Ellie.

• Wow that seems awfully quick to release an entirely new game (unless they were working on both games at the same time that seems like it would be rushing things a bit to release an entirely new game that soon after).

Maybe that is why they took their time a bit more with this game because they may have felt the second game was a little rushed,

TWD Season 2 was out in 2013, actually. About one year and one month after Season 1 ended.

• It definitely felt rushed, and I'm guessing a lot of that came from Telltale not planning out the Season properly. Seriously, there are so many plotholes and blatantly obvious rewrites in Season 2, which probably wouldn't have been in there if Telltale took their time beforehand. So I'm glad they took more than twice as long this time around.

Wow that seems awfully quick to release an entirely new game (unless they were working on both games at the same time that seems like it wou

• enter image description here

papai46 posted: »

Who cares? KNACK 2! HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

• Who cares?

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2! HELL YEAAAAAAAAAH

papai46 posted: »

Who cares? KNACK 2! HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

• Oh fuck off (Sarcasm). Please don't make this worse as Cluke.

• If they decide to do it, it will most likely be in an epic way at least.
    What if you start the game playing as Joel, doing some quests around Tommy's dam for like 2 hours of gameplay, then Fireflies attack and Joel dies. But he doesn't die in a cut scene, the player will fight off attacking Fireflies until you're out of ammo, and there will eventually be so many off them that you will die, and then everyone just expects to re-spawn at the latest checkpoint, but instead that death is canon. There could even be different trophies depending on how long you can last.

I certainly hope they won't do that. I think I can trust them because they never killed any main characters in Uncharted franchise.

• Obviously, I was being sarcastic :P

• I thought you were shipping them by saying "Jellie". Sorry, I've been in a bad ship situation a long time ago.

• why would ellie wear a gas mask? the spores dont affect her,

Indeed, yet I've seen a lot of people saying that she wears it to protect the fetus, but that would not make any sense, because a fetus is of course connected to the mothers body, so that baby will also be infected, if that's Ellie in the picture, which I don't think it is. And if an unborn baby is infected, it will either also be immune, or it will turn into a zombie and probably eat it's way out of her :fearful:

jamex1223 posted: »

it never was confirmed that it was neither Ellie or Anna, her mother. but we can also make assumption that its anna, ellie's mother, because

• You honestly think it's a cute match?

• "Trust us. Please, just trust us."

I love how he can say that and I can actually believe him.

When Neil brought up that some fans might be worried that this game won't be as good as the last, his response was "Trust us. Please, just trust us."

• Maybe she is playing the part, trying to not seem immune. Like how her tattoo covers her bite mark.

Ekelund21 posted: »

why would ellie wear a gas mask? the spores dont affect her, Indeed, yet I've seen a lot of people saying that she wears it to prote

• There's only two companies I would trust saying that, Naughtydog and CD Project Red.

"Trust us. Please, just trust us." I love how he can say that and I can actually believe him.

• The poster from Outbreak Day this year suddenly makes more sense.
    enter image description here
    enter image description here
    And I've read she got the tattoo to cover up her bite mark (only speculations).

• Na think what you want. Seems like a weird ship with 30+ years difference. If that's your thing more power to you booboo.

• Well, it just so happens to sit on top of the bite mark, and we saw in the first one how people react to bite marks. I'd say "speculation" isn't a great word to use there. . .

The poster from Outbreak Day this year suddenly makes more sense. And I've read she got the tattoo to cover up her bite mark (only speculations).

• So is this trailer meant to be canon to the actual game or is it just an out of universe scene simply meant to give the audience an idea of what the theme of the game will be like.

Is this a scene that will likely be in the game? Just curious to see if there is any real point on speculating where that room is supposed to be at (be it Tommy's camp or an entirely new location that we don't know about yet).

• Criticize? You literally just said "WHY" and "Thanks for the laugh", hardly criticism.

Gary-Oak posted: »

If I want to criticize a game, I will. I don't really see how it was rude. If I was really being rude it would be more like "LOL, THIS PERSON LIKES A GAME I DON'T. GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY XD"

Sign in to comment in this discussion.