The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• That almost sounds like you don't wanna tear into that game because there's no one to complain to. :lol:

AronDracula posted: »

I know. I just don't care about this game anymore cause its fanbase fell apart.

• edited June 2020

I dont want to really say how I feel about the story until I finish the game but Im about 5 hours in and honestly- Im just super bored.

Kinda think of Spider Man ps4 but reversed. Remember how everyone's main complainant was about how the game just ripped away from playing Spider Man and now youre doing a boring MJ mission? Kinda feels like but the other way around. But this time every once in a while it lets you have actual gameplay instead of just holding up on the left stick for an hour in between.

So far I dont think the story is too horrible but its really not that compelling either. There are 2 things that happened that I really dont like if its just not going to expanded on. One of those Im not expecting to happen until later, but one of them really should have been said by now which makes me think its just overlooked which is disappointing. If the other thing that happened is also just forgotten about (which I dont think it will be simply because it feels too intentional for it not to be followed up later in a meaningful way for the character) then honestly this game is going to have some really flat and boring characters who have one single note.

• edited June 2020

Reviews weren't paid for, it has a lot more to do with a lot of people in the industry simply just knowing each other.

Obviously that may lead to other issues like reviewers not being as honest as they actually feel because they are friends with people who worked on the game, but review scores honestly dont mean enough to big games like this for them to actually matter. Theres no incentive to "pay off" reviewers. Thats kinda just diving into conspiracy.

I mean if there was no leaks, and big outlets gave it like a 5/10 or something, I guarantee you suddenly everyone would be pissed at the reviewers. Its all about public reception because people get to heated over a number on a game.

I have no idea how this game got so many 10s. It's a 5 to 8. Because this was Naughty Dog/Sony to all the reviewers: People w

• So, unexpectedly, my copy arrived today. Seems the thing got shipped in the middle of the night last night and thrown onto a truck this morning. Just got my tracking email a few hours before it arrived.

So, now I can jump in and, uh... gosh.
    I really hope I like this game.

• Ehh, maybe? But I think it's moreso because of that pressure. They're all sheeps? Wait what, the general consensus among reviewers is that this game is good? Well shit man, guess this is a 10 from me dawg. It's like with BOTW.

I have no idea how this game got so many 10s. It's a 5 to 8. Because this was Naughty Dog/Sony to all the reviewers: People w

• lmao that last paragraph I'm just trying to decipher each sentence so that I'm on the same page.

Poogers555 posted: »

I dont want to really say how I feel about the story until I finish the game but Im about 5 hours in and honestly- Im just super bored. K

• edited June 2020

People are saying this game is too dark and depressing for no reason and the violence is gratuitous and I'm just thinking "do y'all remember TWD S2?" honestly though I was right, that's what it feels like. But much much worse.

• Made a little progress, got to a(n optional, I think?) place involving a guitar, first nice moment since the first 15 minutes of the game to me.

More of that, less of the other shit please.

• edited June 2020

HEAVY STORY SPOILERS BELOW

When Ellie gets to Nora and is about to "get her to talk" we see none of it. If I'm reading the game correctly, the whole point is that revenge is a never ending cycle that just keeps on torturing everyone that allows themselves to get consumed by it, so I don't get why the game completely omits Ellie torturing this woman in order to fulfill her need for vengeance. If the point is to show us that what Ellie doing is terrible, that maybe she's going too far and whatnot, why would they cover the nasty horrid violence that comes as a direct product of her revenge and then try to get us to sympathize with her trauma over what she just did? We saw none of it! Just blood spatter and then a cut.

I'm not a fan of violence for the sake of "whoaaa this is so violent", but if there ever was any point where violence would've greatly served the story, it would be in this scene.

I think it's different from not showing us, for example, Ellie slicing that cannibal to pieces: we didn't need to see that in the first game because, well, the violence wasn't the point! This time though, the overarching message seems to be that all this violence that Ellie is premeditating on all these people is terrible and doing everyone more harm than good, and I just think it's hard to connect to that when the actual nitty gritty violence isn't even shown and just handwaved away.

• playing Spider Man and now youre doing a boring MJ mission? Kinda feels like but the other way around.

I never will understand why we have to see MJ and Peter Parker still together. Like I know this is off topic here. But,the complaint I have with Spiderman(the new one)was that everytime Marvel or Sony push this romance. I get bored. Like really really bored AF. Like black cat and Peter Parker were more interesting than the MJ mission. Btw. Black Cat and Spiderman are my fav couple.

Just wanted to put that out there. But,yea I have seen ppl get really bored AF in Last Of US 2. Either in the comments or ppl who are really tired of the plot and writing. Gameplay is good and Graphics (like I said it was)but,plot? Dear God!

I dont want to really say how I feel about the story until I finish the game but Im about 5 hours in and honestly- Im just super bored. K

• "Revenge Is Bad,M'Kay-The Last Of US 2 game

HEAVY STORY SPOILERS BELOW (Spoiler)

• Call it paying off, call it being too chummy, the end result is the same, these reviews feel less than honest and way too generous. And I’d be saying that even without the leaks, and I know that because I didn’t get spoiled on a single thing before launch.

Reviews weren't paid for, it has a lot more to do with a lot of people in the industry simply just knowing each other. Obviously that may

• lmao yeah that last part is a bit confusing because Im not really saying anything- Ill probably post again whenever I finish the game and say what I was talking about to see if it happens, however I will post one of them in a spoiler because at this point Im guessing its not going to be acknowledged:

What happened to Jesse and Dina before the Joel death? They were all together, how come when we cut back after they left together Ellie is by herself? Then after he dies then they come in? I thought they might say something about getting separated and Ellie went too far ahead but nothing like that. I get that they wanted Ellie to be alone when it happens but considering its also pointed out there was no look outs its really confusing why they were not together and they seemingly got there after Abby and crew all bailed out.

Ghetsis posted: »

lmao that last paragraph I'm just trying to decipher each sentence so that I'm on the same page.

• I had no problem with the story parts about MJ and Miles it was just it really took away from the gameplay and made you play through a drag. Obviously it wasnt super long, but Id have much preferred it just be a cut scene.

strwar3 posted: »

playing Spider Man and now youre doing a boring MJ mission? Kinda feels like but the other way around. I never will understand why w

• edited June 2020

I played the game for 2 hours and what am I about to say? FUCK YOU, NAUGHTY DOG!! I'm fucking serious. This is what we actually get after 7 years of wait? Fuck you, Neil Cuckmann.

HOW THE FUCK DID THIS GAME GET SO MANY 10/10 REVIEWS?

• Yuppp

HOW THE FUCK DID THIS GAME GET SO MANY 10/10 REVIEWS?

Cause some of these "reviews" are biased based on the game. I mean IGN is hilariously stupid to give it a 10/10 on this game

I played the game for 2 hours and what am I about to say? FUCK YOU, NAUGHTY DOG!! I'm fucking serious. This is what we actually get after 7 years of wait? Fuck you, Neil Cuckmann. HOW THE FUCK DID THIS GAME GET SO MANY 10/10 REVIEWS?

• I'm definitely going to make a rant video on this shit after I finish playing

strwar3 posted: »

Yuppp HOW THE FUCK DID THIS GAME GET SO MANY 10/10 REVIEWS? Cause some of these "reviews" are biased based on the game. I mean IGN is hilariously stupid to give it a 10/10 on this game

• edited June 2020

So I just finished the Prologue, or close to it (I saw "the big moment") and... What exactly is everyone fussing about?

SPOILER TALK

Okay, I get that having Joel die and the way he dies so suddenly is extremely heartbreaking, god knows I was shedding tears when it happened.
    But... Is it that or is it something that happens soon after?
    I like Ellie and Dina's relationship, and while the 4-year shift is jarring at first, I got used to it quick.
    The biggest gripe I've got so far are a few animation bugs, one that happened within the first 5 seconds of the game and another in the scene following Joel's death.
    But really, unless it's because I'm missing something (I stopped just as I saw Joel's grave) things seem ok. Abby and her group seem to have some vendetta against Joel and are hunting him (maybe Eugene tipped them off, but we know he's Ex-Firefly I'm pretty sure).

So far, I'm okay with this. It's awful, but I really want to kill Abby and her gang just as much as Ellie.
    Joel was a bad dude. He's someone who was clinging onto his humanity and who can clearly settle down with the right people, (and after 4 years at Jackson he certainly let his guard down) but this guy massacred a whole bunch of Fireflies at their main base including their leader, stole their chance at a cure and he gets off Scott-free? This is the ultimate repercussion to that action.

The misleading advertising is pretty dissapointing though given that we had no indication that they'd fabricate scenes for a trailer (whereas with things like the recent Avengers it was expected).
    But tbh I forgot about all those Joel scenes from the trailers when I was playing, so it's not like I had a whole structure of plot-point-to-plot point I expected to happen. Maybe some of those scenes might happen in a flashback?

• Not sure this needed be spoilered, but good to know you're not taking chances.

(Spoiler)

• Here's another 0 out of 10 game because the marketing for it was all faked and my expectations of what it would be were subverted

Perhaps it might not be 100% the same thing, but people were still lead to believe it was a pretty standard sequel to MGS1 where they'd play as Snake and that was not at all what they got.
    Perhaps it was the theories that have been around since the game's unveiling, but I wasn't really all that surprised by (spoiler). Sure I thought it wouldn't happen so early or the way it did, even if it was about as miserable as some of the things that happened in the first game. Personally I expected it in the first game already, since I believe one of the trailers featured a scene not in the game or had it set up to be misleading.
    Coming from someone who only finds the first 4 seasons of GOT to be amazing, parts of 5 and 6 to be good-great and 7&8 to be absolute garbage (at least telltale's game was ultimately faithful to the show, a majority of it was as awful as the worst parts of 5&6 and 7&8), I can't say I find anywhere near as shit as GOT S8 so far.
    And lmao at it being worse than ANF, I'm only 9 hours in but so far I haven't seen anything that made me think this worse than ANF's trainwreck of a story about a guy cucking his brother

• edited June 2020

I finished the game i really liked it,the gameplay is so much better than the first game like fuck way way better thank god for that,and the game's gorgeous

Also Spoilers down below

I know a lot of people got angry when Joel died and that's fair but there's a reason for why that happens this isn't like Kenny or Jane's death where they die in the most retarded ways and gets forgotten immediately after,they didn't forget about Joel and Ellie's bond and Joel lying to Ellie (which was a pretty big deal) so i was fine with it. And the ending is fine imo

Overall i think it was a good sequel they took a lot of risks and i respect that and i enjoyed it way more than i thought i would tbh.

• The more I hear about this game, the less I want to play it. Might bide my time until Miles Morales or Hellblade 2 comes out.

• It's not too much of a big deal, as in they could've done it either way and I wouldn't mind. This way also works because it's arguably more horrifying when you don't know what she did and it just focuses on her face all the time. It's just about what they want to emphasize, and that would be Ellie's deterioating condition. With Joel it worked because she keeps seeing Joel's beaten-up face throughout the story to drive her rage, and even then it wasn't like Negan. This game's violence isn't that gratuitous thankfully, I was hearing some really bad things back in April. But yeah they could've gone either way and it would've been fine.

HEAVY STORY SPOILERS BELOW (Spoiler)

• Lol yeah that scene has way too many plot-holes. Some of them are forgivable, but stuff like what you mentioned isn't.

lmao yeah that last part is a bit confusing because Im not really saying anything- Ill probably post again whenever I finish the game and sa

• I really hope you enjoy the game. When you finish it you'll realise it's not written for the masses to enjoy, unlike the fairly simple gameplay.

AChicken posted: »

So I just finished the Prologue, or close to it (I saw "the big moment") and... What exactly is everyone fussing about? SPOILER TALK (Spoiler)

• lol I edited that in because I was worried and didn't want to take any chances yeah.

DabigRG posted: »

Not sure this needed be spoilered, but good to know you're not taking chances.

• edited June 2020

The ending really only works if there's a Part 3 that wraps things up and comes full-circle. Because the mistreatment of all these characters isn't right, like Tommy at the end how he becomes an asshole who sends Ellie to Abby alone, how is he even alive, and how is Jesse dead, and Lev only exists to suffer because he's trans, that's not how you write trans characters, Abby's love triangle is so lame, halfway through the game just turns into a wild goose-chase with each main character leaving the other alive. The gameplay, atmosphere, music, acting and flashbacks save this game. Overall it's not that bad, I don't really care if it's an on-the-nose revenge story because as long as the characters are good the story can work just like the first game, but Abby's characters are just boring so it's hard to become attached. The themes of the game are perspectives and forgiveness and above all else it's Ellie's coming-of-age story where she lets go of Joel and moves on into the unknown. Like every character who has multiple lines of dialogue comes out at the end considerably worse, everyone suffers because a few people made bad choices. As long as Part 3 is good then this can somewhat work.

iFoRias posted: »

I finished the game i really liked it,the gameplay is so much better than the first game like fuck way way better thank god for that,and the

• Man, this game does respect Joel. He's the best character in the game by far.

• You're probably right... later killing a pregnant woman was horrifying enough.

(Spoiler)

• I honestly didn't like the first game much (more for gameplay reasons than story reasons), but it's interesting to see similar issues on executing on their themes for both games. This game almost feels like a response to "Nathan Drake is a mass murderer" ludonarrative dissonance critiques, but doesn't do anything to solve the core problem of what that critique was about.I think the setting and tone for this series really just works to the detriment of its story, and that ND still struggles to meaningfully account for or integrate its gameplay into its storytelling.

Also the game's story only works if the fireflies would have made a vaccine, but the first game makes it unclear, so it doesn't work. Similiarly to the argument of "why did they leave Ellie alive?" well they didn't expect blowback, but hey ho, Joel and Ellie didn't die on their journey in the first game, if only Abby knew how powerful vidya-game characters are.

• Wow, really?

That's...not a good sign.

Man, this game does respect Joel. He's the best character in the game by far.

• edited June 2020

This game pissed me off so much it made me screw up my recording on the parts where

After Ellie mourns on Joel's grave, she and Dina go to pack up for revenge, Maria finds out what they are up to, Ellie and Dina reach Seattle, I opened the main gate, we approached our first encounter with the infected and found the gas for the next big gate.

My reaction to those moments are gone and can't get it back because I accidently pressed the Share button only once and the menu instantly deleted my footage. But I don't think it's a huge deal because there aren't any specific moments everyone was waiting for me to react on. Still, it hurts that all of that progress vanished.

• those moments are gone and can't get it back because I accidently pressed the Share button only once and the menu instantly deleted my footage

I'm with you on that complaint. The menu is really specific with how it wants you to record/save video.

I usually hold the Share button and hit save video just in case I mess up pushing it too many times.

This game pissed me off so much it made me screw up my recording on the parts where (Spoiler) My reaction to those moments are gone an

• I just love how Jesse makes it to Ellie without dying, or how Dina goes with Ellie even though she suspects she could be pregnant. Or how 'fade to black' is used after the theater ambush to heal our characters, or how boring and distasteful the Abby half is, or how, ignoring the fact that switching primarily to Abby when you do is terrible because it happens on a cliffhanger with Ellie and then it takes MANY MANY MANY HOURS to get to that point... Abby knows these people offed Owen and Mel. She has killed dozens of people in the hours before this (video games!). She had previously left Ellie alive during their stop in Jackson which can be directly attributed to the deaths of Owen and Mel. Her sparing Ellie because fucking Lev said so...?! In an Apocalyptic setting where mercy is constantly shown, not told, but shown, to be a mistake?!

• I've made it to the second half of this game, and not only am I bored, disinterested, and not the least bit invested in anything transpiring, I'm just baffled by the game's storytelling and legitimately confused with a lot of the game's narrative decisions. It takes a lot of risks, that's for sure, but very few of them work, and despite having the same writer/director of the first game, it feels like it doesn't understand the complexities of the first game and either dumbs it down or devalues it for this one.

• Gotta ask. Are you recording your playthrough or just play it by yourself?

I've made it to the second half of this game, and not only am I bored, disinterested, and not the least bit invested in anything transpiring

• edited June 2020

BTW, here is my first episode of this game. Sorry it took me so long to upload it.

• Just playing it. I think I'm done with recording, it just takes too much time, and I don't have a lot as it is.

Gotta ask. Are you recording your playthrough or just play it by yourself?

• I understand. Wish I could have seen your reaction but it's your call so it's definitely fine.

Just playing it. I think I'm done with recording, it just takes too much time, and I don't have a lot as it is.

• edited June 2020

Well Im very close to beating the game now and I probably will finish it tonight but uh...

I feel like they are actually going to try and pull a Breaking Bad Finale situation with Ellie and Abby with whoever these new people are who just randomly show up last minute. Just you know- minus the part where Abby and Ellie were ever friends. Kinda hoping this wraps up somewhat satisfying because honestly I feel the biggest issue with this games story is how damn boring and stretched out it is. It feels like it takes forever to move the plot anywhere and when it does it feels like it moved an inch. (which really sucks because there are 100% moments in here I like a lot, but it takes forever to reach them.)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.