The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• I saw the clips of the ps5 version. Part 1 edition is more expressive in the mocap but it reaches something similar to uncanny valley in that the faces look slightly off to me. Ps4 version doesn’t convey as much emotion but it feels more natural and does convey it well enough to make an impact.

Upgraded AI sounds cool though. I remember being in awe as a kid at the E3 trailer for the ps3 version before the AI got sorta dumbed down for the actual game. It’s probably not going to be as complex but it’s still nice to hear that AI will be improved.

• It could be that the actor is filming another movie/show and is required not to grow or full beard. However I agree that he does resemble Joel and sound like him.

AChicken posted: »

And away we go! Skip to 1:35 Interesting that they aren't going for a full-beard look for Joel

• They are indeed overcharging on a game that is only ten years old. Games like Resident Evil 2 worked for a remake because it had fixed camera angles because of the hardware from the time. So to remake a game from then with modern graphics and gameplay makes sense. I feel like Last of Us Part 1 Remake will still sell and I’ll most likely end up buying it. The only reason why I will not purchase it Day 1 is because apparently Abby is getting a prequel chapter… I was not a fan of her in Last of Us 2. But I don’t mean to go on a rant about Abby. But I do hope the remake does well! 😇

We already got that a few weeks ago with the Details video on what changed/improved for the PS5 version. So... nothing too substantial fo

• edited August 2022

Hey buddy... we were wrong... Video of some uninterrupted Gameplay!

I will say it looks really good and really smooth.

I'd definitely pick this up one day.

On sale.

And once I have a mythical PS5.

AronDracula posted: »

I know what you mean but I am talking about full gameplay presentation, not behind the scenes stuff. The reason why they aren't showing is b

• edited August 2022

That's weird. The gameplay animation feels the new and old at the same time. I still guessed that they didn't change the hand-to-hand combat. I can barely see the "made-from-the-ground-up" stuff in there. They also didn't make any changes to the level design. It feels more like a game made by modders, not developers.

EDIT: I'mma wait 3 or 5 years until this game drops on 10 bucks.

Hey buddy... we were wrong... Video of some uninterrupted Gameplay! I will say it looks really good and really smooth. I'd definitely pick this up one day. On sale. And once I have a mythical PS5.

• edited August 2022

Yeah it's the exact same gameplay style and animations as the original, but everything is smoothed over with the motion-matching tech so that it flows together better.

There's also a few small new additions like the Part 2 gore system, shown by all those infected getting ripped in half by the shotgun (and still being able to crawl at you) I don't remember that at all from the original.

Some fans have had their copies shipped early and they also confirmed that enemies call each other out by name and strategize a bit more, which is a nice addition.

That's weird. The gameplay animation feels the new and old at the same time. I still guessed that they didn't change the hand-to-hand combat

• edited September 2022

Okay, I do see those changes which is nice enough. However, they didn't fix the plot holes created by TLOU2 and I am talking Marlene during the end of the first game. The only thing they made the remake link to the sequel is changing Jerry's model and that's about it. The dialogue remains exactly the same.

EDIT: You know what? Since they didn't make this game more connected to the sequel, I am going to buy this version and it will be the only TLOU game I am going to own. I always had an issue with the gameplay of the first game and if they say they fixed it in the "remake", then I might have a better experience with it. I still refuse to pay 70 bucks. Nobody should support 70$ remakes for games that are not even a decade old. They would just encourage other developers to do the same thing and it shows how this industry is falling apart. I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar even dares to remake GTA 5 with modern graphics.

Yeah it's the exact same gameplay style and animations as the original, but everything is smoothed over with the motion-matching tech so tha

• The Naughty Dog Last Of Us Day Megathread

They'll probably be adding to it throughout the day, but there's already a gif collection to see, and some wallpapers of the Part I Key Art to download .

Incoming at 1:30pm ET, some Photo Mode community winners.

No mention of the series in there, but there's still a chance...

• edited September 2022

The official teaser trailer for the HBO Max series is out!

It looks really good! Everything in the trailer seems to show the first three quarters of the game (up until Ellie is taken by the cannibal town), including the Left Behind DLC, along with some new stuff that wasn't from the game. The clicker looks great as well!

• Wooo yeah that looks good! They've got a great budget it looks like too!

I guess we might not see it until March or April of next year, if we're only now just getting a teaser that didn't show off too much of the story.

Gotta give props to Naughty Dog's face scanning tech. Since Merle Dandridge is back as Marlene, she looks exactly the same as she did before. Really awesome to see her get that role for the series.

lupinb0y posted: »

The official teaser trailer for the HBO Max series is out! It looks really good! Everything in the trailer seems to show the first th

• I've been slowly making my way through Grounded Difficulty for the first time in TLOU Remastered.

It's brutal. You get next to nothing in terms of ammo, crafting supplies, and defence. You will die in 1-2 bullets, depending on how much health you have. Usually very little.
    But you will never know how much health you have, since there is no Health Bar HUD.
    There are also less checkpoints, meaning each combat/stealth encounter must be completed in one go.

I've only ever tried it once before, but got very frustrated with the checkpoint system -- they aren't all placed at the start of each Encounter. Some are placed just before the Encounter Area. Meaning each time you die, you have to see an un-skippable in-game cutscene that starts the encounter and it gets old fast. The Subway Terminal just before the Capitol Building was where I gave up last. But now, I'm way further ahead.

It's been tough, but fun overcoming the challenges, picking and choosing your battles (and ammo to use) and trying to be as stealthy as possible.
    I just finished Pittsburgh.
    The toughest sections for me so far were Subway Terminal (Downtown), Capitol Building, High School Bloater, Hotel Basement, and Financial Plaza

• edited October 2022

As expected, The Sewers on Grounded was Edit: medieval torture. The part where you and Sam are stuck in a nursery area, I still can't stealth past any of that section to save my life. I just let all the enemies come to me and shoot them.
    Luckily Grounded always gives you juuust enough ammo to kill one enemy with bullets or bullets+melee, when you're low/out of ammo. Very little room for error. I still died a lot. Stalkers are the worst to bait out.

The Suburbs section was also hell. You have to make it to the sniper perch in one go. If you die you're back at the start.
    The Sniper also shoots very fast if you peek out of cover. Time your sprints right, or else you die in one hit.
    Also no idea how you would be able to get in the final house (surrounded by enemies) without a smoke bomb. Thank goodness for that.

• Sir, saying the sewers on grounded was hell is an understatement.

Please edit your post so others can fully appreciate the horrible torture of the sewers on grounded thank you

As expected, The Sewers on Grounded was Edit: medieval torture. The part where you and Sam are stuck in a nursery area, I still can't stealt

• Last of Us Grounded update: Got through The Coal Mine w/ David and the Tunnel in Salt Lake, probably some of the most punishing Infected areas of the game.

Also I beat the David boss fight in one attempt, totally a fluke!

Next up is the Hospital -- final area-- I hear lots of people have trouble with it because the enemies' assault rifles are mega powerful on Grounded, but I've stealthed through that area before pretty well. I think I can do it again!

• Alright I did it! Beat the OG TLOU on Grounded! Man that was tough! Frustrating, and fun, but super tough!

The hospital at the end was actually pretty easy. Took me a couple tries but not that many deaths. All of them were only on the first floor. You could stealth past the patrols with good timing, and the second floor was also easy to stealth past -- there were actually 2 enemies hiding behind cover near the final door, and I don't think I've seen that before -- but with some luck, a panic molotov, and a smoke bomb thrown near the exit door, I managed to get out just fine!
    Wooo!

• I like that you almost chickened out after you got smacked lol

(I'll be honest I don't even know if that pun was intended or not but I put emphasis on it anyways ¯_(ツ)_/¯ )

Last of Us Grounded update: Got through The Coal Mine w/ David and the Tunnel in Salt Lake, probably some of the most punishing Infected are

• Congratulations! How many attempts did it take? If I'm not misremembering my death count on Grounded mode was 364.

Alright I did it! Beat the OG TLOU on Grounded! Man that was tough! Frustrating, and fun, but super tough! The hospital at the end wa

• Oh boy, this is where the fun begins.

• edited October 2022

Finished watching this video recently and no surprise, I agree with most of what he said. I know it's getting sick to hear me talk trash but I just want to get this out of the way. Another problem that makes me just not want to appreciate The Last of Us Part 2 is that Naughty Dog played favoritism. Screw narrative structure and common sense, we'll just do whatever makes only us happy. It did work for the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, didn't it? Just because you own a creation doesn't mean you shouldn't get any criticism from audience. Am I really supposed to not say anything bad about this Netflix unoriginal film, Cuties, because it's something that was never done before?

A Plague Tale Requiem did exactly what TLOU2 did not do. Have us understand the point of view from both the main characters and the ones who die beside them. No favoritism, no rush and it had actual story development. That game has no heroes too.

• I usually like this guy's stuff. Excited to get into this when I've got the time tomorrow.

Oh boy, this is where the fun begins.

• edited October 2022

Yeah, he is like one of the only Sin channels that I still watch, even if he is inactive. Cinemasins just overstayed its welcome in recent years, making so many sins that aren't even true or funny. They don't even try to do research anymore.

I usually like this guy's stuff. Excited to get into this when I've got the time tomorrow.

• Honestly Dartigan is the only sins channel that I actively watch now. I can’t really get into any other channel’s style that I watched. His TLOU2 video was spot on too.

Yeah, he is like one of the only Sin channels that I still watch, even if he is inactive. Cinemasins just overstayed its welcome in recent years, making so many sins that aren't even true or funny. They don't even try to do research anymore.

• It's happening very, very soon...

January 15th 2023 Premiere Date for the HBO show!
    Really cool poster!

• The official trailer for The Last of Us series is out!

Everything looks super solid so far, and I think that little bit with Ellie has sold me on Bella Ramsey's portrayal of her. Also Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker make an appearance at 1:33 and 1:53. Looks like Ashley will be playing Ellie's mom, and Troy is someone in David's cannibal gang.

• edited December 2022

Troy is someone in David's cannibal gang.

Fans on reddit have allegedly identified him to be "James", David's buddy in the winter chapter when you first meet him in-game. That's a better prominent-role-yet-not-main-role for Troy, as there's been a lot of speculation that he was fully getting the David role, and I had worried feelings about seeing the guy who originally played Joel could end up playing the creepy guy hunting this alt-Ellie... ehhh I'm glad that didn't come true.

Overall though this looks very solid, Bella looks more and more like a great TV take on Ellie, and Pedro Pascal is extremely solid so far. Damn, that accent is stellar!
    Got goosebumps when the tease for Left Behind happened here. I totally forgot they were including that in the show as well. Everything about the vibe and tone of this trailer already looks fantastic!

The official trailer for The Last of Us series is out! Everything looks super solid so far, and I think that little bit with Ellie ha

• Recently there was a new poster more faithful to the OG's game cover. Very cool.

Also they released a bunch of character posters. (Love how you can tell Marlene's poster is the Hospital lmao. At least for me)

• Bella looks more and more like a great TV take on Ellie

Turns out there's an uncensored version of the trailer where she says, "I didn't turn into a fucking monster" instead of "I didn't turn into a monster." I don't know if it's a regional things cause I can't find the original source for it, but a group of YouTubers I subscribe to watched it.

I can't wait for the edits replacing Hilda's dialogue with Ellie's.

Troy is someone in David's cannibal gang. Fans on reddit have allegedly identified him to be "James", David's buddy in the winter ch

• edited December 2022

I don't know if it's a regional things cause I can't find the original source

People in the HBO series subreddit say it's only found on the HBO Max app right now. Pretty strange to limit it there, though I guess it wouldn't be worth it to release a separate "18+ trailer" for just one line.

Still, it's cool how much one word changes the whole context of the line. Goes from just Ellie explaining the nature of her infection, to an angry, desperate line, probably in the scene where it's first revealed she has a bite.

But yay, salty swearing sailor Ellie is gonna be a treat to see come out of Bella's mouth lmao

Bella looks more and more like a great TV take on Ellie Turns out there's an uncensored version of the trailer where she says, "I di

• This is the first time I'm hearing of a Sam Raimi Last of Us movie, and I'm unfortunately happy that never went through with what the execs had planned

also interesting Joel quirks for the show

muh joel is soft now

• Wow, a Hollywood director who barely has knowledge about video games.

• In the game, both Joel and Ellie are mass-murdering machines.
    The only kind of interaction you do in gameplay is either exploring/looking at objects, or killing.

They've said that they're "scaling back" the violence. Probably meaning that there just won't be as much murder, all the time, as shown in the game.
    It'll make moments where there is action and violence hit that much harder for audiences, especially since everyone's along for the ride as a spectator, not a player.

https://twitter.com/HBOsTheLastofUs/status/1607606012768391168 Wow, a Hollywood director who barely has knowledge about video games.

• That's not my point. It's the fact that the director stupidly calls video game character "Pixels", when movies and show are made of pixels as well. This is a sign that this idiot knows shit about video games.

"Watching a person die ought to be much different". Excuse you? Are you making a tv show or you are directing a livestream? If the character dies, the actor will die as well? What is the context?

It'll make moments where there is action and violence hit that much harder for audiences, especially since everyone's along for the ride as a spectator, not a player.

I sure can't wait to care so much for characters that are meant to be extras. Just saying.

In the game, both Joel and Ellie are mass-murdering machines. The only kind of interaction you do in gameplay is either exploring/looking

• edited December 2022

This is a sign that this idiot knows shit about video games.

No, it's just a poorly-worded quote, grabbed to get that exact reaction from you, from a much larger article.
    He knows video games. Dude's apparently a huge fan of Assassin's Creed and was flabbergasted by the disappointing movie.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/01/02/can-the-last-of-us-break-the-curse-of-bad-video-game-adaptations

Mazin had been enamored of The Last of Us since its release—so much so that he’d already tried to reach Druckmann. (“I blew him off,” Druckmann admitted to me, sheepishly. “I didn’t know who he was.”) The men finally met, and spent hours geeking out over each other’s work—then concluded that, although The Last of Us would never succeed as a movie, it could be ported to television. Afterward, Mazin sent Bloys a note: “I am currently levitating.”

When Druckmann expressed confidence that the show “will be the best, most authentic game adaptation,” Mazin said, “That’s not the highest bar in the world.” He went on, “I cheated—I just took the one with the best story. Like, I love Assassin’s Creed. But when they announced that they were gonna make it as a movie I was, like, I don’t know how! Because the joy of it is the gameplay. The story is impenetrable.” The Assassin’s Creed franchise boasted sophisticated stealth mechanics—a style of play focussed on avoiding detection by enemies—and lush historical settings; the 2016 film compelled Jeremy Irons to utter such lines as “She has traced the protectors of the Apple.” Mazin added, “I still am struggling to understand how Abstergo and the Animus and the Isu—I mean, the Isu alone ...”

“I don’t even know what you’re talking about, and I’ve played so many Assassin’s Creed games,” Druckmann said. He, too, was conscious of the genre’s abysmal track record; so far, he said, only “kids’ movies,” such as the 2019 film “Detective Pikachu,” had actually worked.

His quote of "enemies read as obstacles, not human beings" is what's important.
    There will always be that digital wall in games that further desensitizes you to what's going on on-screen. Everything is fabricated. Everything works off of code, mechanics, animations. No one's really getting stabbed or shot. In live-action film or TV, things are clearly more "real" and easier to connect to, to identify with real places, people, things, etc.

I dunno, it's just poorly-worded, while I guess also carrying some of the stigma of "video games aren't real cinema" or "Live-action content is how people can connect with fiction the most"

That's not my point. It's the fact that the director stupidly calls video game character "Pixels", when movies and show are made of pixels a

• Yeah, still an idiotic thing to say that live-action does better than video games or cartoons. Video games always had the strength of making me feel immersed into their worlds. Take Dying Light for example. I still replay that game nowadays, more than rewatching any classic films like 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead.

His quote of "enemies read as obstacles, not human beings" is what's important.
    There will always be that digital wall in games that further desensitizes you to what's going on on-screen. Everything is fabricated. Everything works off of code, mechanics, animations. No one's really getting stabbed or shot. In live-action film or TV, things are clearly more "real" and easier to connect to, to identify with real places, people, things, etc.

Why does everyone need to be a character in any media? I don't care if they are human beings or not, it does nothing but kill the focus of the story. That'd be like LOST giving development for EVERY SINLGE person who survived the plane crash. There is an episode that focused on two characters that I didn't give a shit about, and they just die in the same episode.

Oh, the enemy NPCs in TLOU2 got their own names. Cool, I guess. Does that mean I care about them? Your guess is as good as mine.

This is a sign that this idiot knows shit about video games. No, it's just a poorly-worded quote, grabbed to get that exact reaction

• He knows video games. Dude's apparently a huge fan of Assassin's Creed and was flabbergasted by the disappointing movie.

Assassin’s creed had a movie?

quickly searches it up

Oh yeah.

This is a sign that this idiot knows shit about video games. No, it's just a poorly-worded quote, grabbed to get that exact reaction

• edited January 2023

The Last of Us turns 10 this coming June...

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/the_last_of_us_10th_anniversary_kickoff?sf174194040=1

Naughty Dog has released a new piece of concept art for the Multiplayer Spinoff (Factions 2) that we'll hear more of ":Later this Year" and has also revealed that they're going to reveal a bunch of new behind-the-scenes glimpses at what went into the creation of the OG game, Part 1, and the TV Adaptation.

Over the course of The Last of Us show’s season, we’ll have an exciting inside look into the original The Last of Us, Part I, and its adaptation to television with exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes looks at the process in order to offer you a deeper appreciation for the work that went into your favorite characters, locations, and moments.

Also Bella Ramsey addresses the people hating on her portrayal from the brief clips and trailer footage so far:
    "Fuck you all." she says, lol damn

• She did not say "Fuck you all"

The Last of Us turns 10 this coming June... https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/the_last_of_us_10th_anniversary_kickoff?sf174194040=1 Naug

• I have been misled :weary:

captainivy1 posted: »

She did not say "Fuck you all"

• Spoils Sarah's death (and briefly shows it) in this new BTS promo, damn.

10 days to go

Sign in to comment in this discussion.