Borderlands 3 News Thread: Releasing 13/09/2019 PS4, XONE and EGS, Borderlands GOTY Out Now

12345679»

Comments

• edited April 2021

Also I forgot to mention, the behind the scene stuff is as expected pretty lame. It has its interesting moments if you enjoy seeing how games are made, but this is the type of stuff no one else would charge you for. Personally, I think its cool to see this, but it shouldnt cost money. It also is very, very light on cut content information when it comes to characters and story which I was disappointed by as it is what I feel most people are more interested in.

So no Scooper model or concept art, or anything like cut Fiona and Gortys which we can assume was at one point in the game as it was bunched with the rest of the major major leak that happened before BL3 released, being the only 2 parts of it that was not accurate. Most of it is showing off footage like hero abilities they messed around with that ultimately didn't make the cut. Some boring as hell stuff like a video showing off the vault hunters abilities that I assume was shown at investor meetings/producers so like "wowie Im watching BL3 gameplay with incomplete fx. for 5 minutes." Most interesting thing is the original Maya funeral which while not great is a lot better, Lilith's beta model which was already shared in some scenes, and some of the COV Tv pop ups that didn't make the cut.

So yeah, for the behind the scenes stuff it was a bit disappointing. By far the most disappointing thing is the concept art though as like I was saying before, almost no BHS character stuff. Actually thought there was a Fiona concept art with her being Rhys' bodyguard, but turns out every manufacture just got a picture of possibly outfits of different classes and genders so probably not Fiona.

(But thats not to say theres nothing interesting about this unseen beta stuff though. The original intro was pretty crazy as you'd start right off at a vault and would kill a vault monster in your literally first minute of playing the game. (the vault monster was later reused as the final boss of DLC3))

• So I finally got a chance to play the Director's Cut, or at least the "thrilling" new side missions with Ava. They're...fine. She's not overly annoying like she is in the main game, but it doesn't do anything to improve the character. If anything though, I kind of hate her more, because the one thing I did like about her was that she actually seemed to like Claptrap, and then this kind of takes that away and has her annoyed and irritated by him like everyone else, so there's that. But like a lot of things with this game, it shows some promise, but just when things could get interesting, they pull the rug and just don't follow through with it, and for no real reason. And if the big twist was that Lilith could still be out there...yeah, we kind of figured that out already, it's not as shocking as you think it is.

• I think I am actually more interested in what the designers were thinking with this dlc if anything though.

The new raid boss cost 500 eridium to fight, its ridiculous. But what makes it soooo stupid, is that fact it doesn't drop unique loot. In fact, the new Seer boss has the exact same pool. So there is 0 incentive to actually fight the raid boss.

So I finally got a chance to play the Director's Cut, or at least the "thrilling" new side missions with Ava. They're...fine. She's not over

• The big thing on everyone's mind in regards to the Director's Cut was the deleted scene involving Maya's funeral. In the base game, her funeral is treated as a joke, rushed to the point of it barely lasting a minute, is on Sanctuary, and ends with Ava angrily yelling at Lilith and blaming her for Maya's death. This was a scene that, rightfully so, did not do a lot of favors for Ava's character, and the fanbase responded accordingly. Well, the supposed removed scene went like this:

It's a cutscene, several minutes long, more serious, and character driven. It would have included a playable mission where you gather supplies and prepare for the service, Ava is a lot more emotional, even outright remorseful of her actions, blames herself for the role she played, has an honestly really nice moment with Lilith, where she herself reflects on how she played a role in Roland's death (the first time she has ever owned up to her "run towards the fire" actions in Borderlands 2), Ava commits to wanting to live up to the person Maya saw in her, and probably my favorite thing, Krieg was at her funeral. Unlike the original, we get some great character moments for both Ava and Lilith, I guarantee you that if this was how it played out in the main game, people would have been more accepting of Maya's death, been a bit more willing to accept Ava as the new leader at the end, and have some more respect for her. All of this has people questioning why in the hell it was cut when it's such a better scene than what we got?

Forgive me for jumping on a conspiratorial bandwagon on this, but I don't think it was cut content. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gearbox made this, got some team members together to cobble this up as a supposed deleted scene, and threw it in there to try and get some of the heat off of themselves. So now, they can point to this as what they originally conceived, but due to time constraints, they had to shorten it to what we got.

I'm sorry, I don't buy it. Mainly because the message here is the complete opposite of what we ended up getting in the actual game. In the cutscene, Ava mentions that "run towards the fire" view, and Lilith says it's not always a good thing and that she got burned doing it. It's presented as a bad thing, or at least not always a good mindset to have, as it can have disastrous effects on you and the people around you. But yet, in the rest of the game, running towards the fire is presented as the best solution. The ending of the game literally involves Lilith saying she has to run towards the fire before her "sacrifice." If this was cut and the originally intended scene, why would the rest of the game afterwards be about running towards the fire? We have a conflicting theme here?

So either Gearbox are idiots who really thought what we got was the better version of this scene than what was deleted, or they're liars who want us to think this was a deleted scene when it really could just be a form of damage control. Of course, they could be both.

• Are you fucking serious? Then why have the raid boss if it doesn't do anything different from any other boss in the game?

Actually, I know why, so they can say "See, we have a raid boss, just pay for this extra DLC and you can have a harder boss fight that drops the same loot as any other boss in the game."

I don't really think Gearbox remembers why people found Borderlands 2 so endearing and why it's still played to this day.

Poogers555 posted: »

I think I am actually more interested in what the designers were thinking with this dlc if anything though. The new raid boss cost 500 er

• Yeah I wish BL3 had better design. Loot doesn't feel rare or hard to get. Mayhem mode is just "random bullshit go!" vault hunters are all still super weirdly balanced with Flak still being the obvious good character, while Zane still completely sucks, instead of like BL2 when all the vault hunters can have great builds. I mean fuck Zane is so busted that unless you play in a very specific play style with very specific loot, you just suck and are always having an uphill battle.

Raid boss is by far the weirdest design choice of all time though. Not a single person thought "you think anyone is actually going to fight this thing once they realize the other boss that doesnt cost 500 Erd to fight drops the same stuff?"

Are you fucking serious? Then why have the raid boss if it doesn't do anything different from any other boss in the game? Actually, I kno

• A Borderlands spin-off/DLC named Wonderlands may be in the works according to r/GamingLeaksAndRumours. According to the subreddit:

Wonderlands: Codename Daffodil - It's a Borderlands spin-off title featuring Tiny Tina. The final name could also be "Tiny Tina's Wonderlands" (as this is the name that Gearbox already trademarked.) Seems to be the same style as all other Borderlands games with "Multiclass-Heroes" to play as. This spin-off is rumoured since last year.

Link to Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/nqxkgj/info_on_upcoming_games_from_2k/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Jason Schreier has seemingly verified the rumour:

There is also a trademark for Tiny Tina's Wonderlands that Gearbox applied for that had its opposition period conclude on March 15th this year.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/018339717

Please please please take it with a pinch of salt as I'd rather not have people take this comment as gospel and cause any disappointment.

• Seems plausible seeing how there was that earlier spin off rumor and Gearbox will be at E3 and BL3 DLC just ended, so if they are showing off anything I would assume if they have anything to show it would be a smaller project. (Then again Gearbox is the literal king of "this 1 hour presentation could've been 8 minutes" so honestly would be very not surprised if its an hour long presentation and then its "oh yeah heres the game")

I wonder what kind of game it will be (although I feel its probably going to be PVP Borderlands)

A Borderlands spin-off/DLC named Wonderlands may be in the works according to r/GamingLeaksAndRumours. According to the subreddit: Won

• edited June 2021

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands will release in Early 2022

Jay Peters of The Verge wrote:

At the event, Burch, who voices Tiny Tina in the Borderlands series, described it as a “high fantasy looter shooter,” and in the trailer, it certainly looked a lot like a Borderlands game, both with its cel-shaded visual style and the appearance of a ridiculous-looking gun that shot some kind of electric laser beam. Unlike in Borderlands, though, you’ll create your own character.

If you want to read the article, here you go: https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/6/10/22528190/tiny-tinas-wonderlands-2k-gearbox-andy-samberg-wanda-sykes-summer-game-fest

Ryan Gilliam of Polygon wrote:

In Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, players will build, customize, and control their own characters, and each character can fit into multiple classes. The game will feature the familiar Borderlands gunplay and weaponry with a fantasy setting, letting players blow up dragons with rocket launchers.

Tiny Tina is in charge of her game, and can change the world and setting at will — similar to her D&D-themed expansion for Borderlands 2, Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep. Ashly Burch returns to voice Tiny Tina, alongside new cast members Andy Samberg as Captain Valentine, Wanda Sykes as Frette the robot, and Will Arnett as the Dragon Lord himself.

According to Gearbox founder Randy Pitchford, Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands has been in and out of development for over 10 years. “For me, bringing actual Borderlands guns to fight dragons, skeletons, goblins, and more in an original fantasy world imagined by the galaxy’s deadliest thirteen-year-old, Tiny Tina, as a new, full-featured AAA video game is a dream come true,” said Pitchford.

Here's the Polygon article: https://www.polygon.com/22526609/tiny-tina-wonderlands-borderlands-spinoff-trailer-release-window-details

• Ashly Burch returns to voice Tiny Tina, alongside new cast members Andy Samberg as Captain Valentine, Wanda Sykes as Frette the robot, and Will Arnett as the Dragon Lord himself.

I, uh, wow. I don't know what to say. Kinda interested?

“For me, bringing actual Borderlands guns to fight dragons, skeletons, goblins, and more in an original fantasy world imagined by the galaxy’s deadliest thirteen-year-old, Tiny Tina, as a new, full-featured AAA video game is a dream come true,” said Pitchford.

Lol that's one of the weirdest run-on sentences I've ever heard.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands will release in Early 2022 Jay Peters of The Verge wrote: At the event, Burch, who voices Tiny Tina in

Sign in to comment in this discussion.